Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #1  
si, si signora

Default Thin for life - week of May 30, 2005

Happy Memorial Day in the US.

Not much planned here. Must look over powerpoints for tomorrows blitz of three presentations and start on my Wednesday class presentation. I had a very bad eating weekend. I cannot tell you why or how but it was like a bad horror film.

Oh well, NGAMO.

Looked at the body for life women's addition this weekend. Good stuff on weight training and really thinking of how you eat. Its quite like core, so I'm looking at the weight training and seeing if I can incorporate it into my gym routine.

The food stuff is pretty basic, but there is no way in heck I'm going to start downing shakes made with a million artificial ingredients. If I'm going to do that, I might as well eat a snickers.

Kamakaze gardening this weekend. Pulled out a few garbage can full of errant raspberry canes. I'm going to move some plants to where the raspberries were located to establish miss roya's iris bed. DP found a good source for siberian irises, so we'll order a few new kinds and have our friends also give us some in her honor and memory.

I have been getting emails and text messages from friends who decided to go to Australia and Europe this weekend. For once I'm glad I'm not jet setting. It feels good to be home.

So, I'm hoping everyone else is relaxing, remembering those who served their countries and spending time with loved ones.

lala
Old 05-30-2005, 02:46 PM   #2  

Hi lala.

So strange - I just started the thread and it completely disappeared when I tried to change my signature. Oh well...

I also had a horrendous weekend on the food front. I picked up my Dr. Phil audio book again yesterday and have resolved to listen to it once again. My weight is up drastically and I feel like a fraud posting here. I may also post to another thread where folks are in active weight-loss mode. Maybe that will challenge me to try harder.

In the post that I lost, I described my run from h*** in last week's Bluenose Marathon here in Halifax. I registered for the 10 km once I realized that I hadn't trained enough for the half. The weather last Sunday was horrific. Continuous heavy rain and high winds and temps in the low 40s. Needless to say, I was happy to be only running 10 km. Can't imagine how some people stayed out for five hours.

Anyway, the organizers turned out to be the stars of the day. They wer up at 4:30 am re-routing the full marathon and the 10 km because the bridge we were supposed to use was deemed too dangerous and closed to pedestrians by police. I can't believe we were only an hour late in starting. Everyone was in a chipper mood and determined to beat the weather because a full 85% of registered runners turned out for the race. It was an awesome day in the end.

Not doing any gardening here yet. Haven't seen the sun in weeks - literally. Looking better towards the end of this week; my fingers are crossed.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:09 PM   #3  
si, si signora

Susan,

Stay around and motivate me.

I do like your sig now.

Glad you persevered and survived the race.

lala
Old 05-31-2005, 06:37 AM   #4  

Thanks lala. I'm having a hard time with nighttime eating. I eat dinner and just keep right on munching until bedtime. I'm trying a different strategy today; eating more in the morning and at lunchtime.

Hope you all had a nice long weekend. Anyone do anything interesting?
Old 05-31-2005, 08:11 AM   #5  

Height: 6'0"

lala, sometimes it's nice to just stay home. Your garden sounds so great. You must really have a green thumb. I do all right in that department, but the weeds always get ahead of me. We have this terrible invasive weed here, dollar weed. It is just awful and it's very difficult to eradicate. Sorry about the food intake; I tried to do better. Got on the scale this morning and no gain, but that's not so great because I gained last week!!

Susan, please stay on our board. We can encourage you and you can encourage us. I like to hear about your running adventures, especially since I've just started running myself. I don't know how to keep running. I walk and then run and then walk, etc. The race weather sounded horrible. You're right, for the race director to change the course and get it started only 1 hour later is a miracle. About late night eating, I've not had that problem, but I think it's because food keeps me awake and I heart sleep. If I do get hungry, I just try to do something else. Now DH loves to eat at night and he is working on cutting back.

This weekend was great. I played golf three times! That was fun although DH beat me all three times. I was in a concert on Saturday and it was well-received. We were also invited back. Then DH and I made the trip to St. Pete to be with the family. We had a great time visiting with everyone, although it was too short a visit. On Sunday, we had a cookout and then stood around the piano singing old songs. I was finally able to get in my swimming pool; the water had been so cold before. I do believe that summer is here.

Hello, Melissa and Pam.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 AM   #6  
si, si signora

Hi everyone.

Quick drive by. I need to get to the gym and at work toute de suite as I have a presentation at 10, 1:30 and one a 4:00. I seem to have picked up DP's cold and am not pleased.

Lisa and Susan -- I also have late night eating issues also. I have no idea why, its not like I'm sitting in front of the tv and bored. I think its just a comfort thing.

Hi to everyone else.

I'll be back later.

lala
Old 05-31-2005, 01:16 PM   #7  

Hi Ladies,

My first day back at work after a 10 day vacation. The weather was not terrific, but we still went to the Cape and at least had a couple of nice days. Before heading home we spent a night in Boston. The rest of the week was spent doing little projects at home and attending a couple of picnics this weekend. All in all pretty nice and relaxing.
You can add me to the list of people not making particularly good eating choices. I ate way too much this week and the scale reflected it this morning. I'm back to serious journalling. It seems like lately I'm skipping breakfast and eating too much later in the day. I've got to get back to a better routine since I'm now approximately 8 pounds over my "happy" weight. I often wonder why I let things get this much out of control...I know what I should be doing.
Anyway...I should get back to the monster size pile of papers on my desk. I'll try to sign back on later.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:36 PM   #8  
si, si signora

Welcome back Pam. DP is going to Woods Hole in a few weeks, anything she shouldn't miss?

Okay, downed two presentations, only one more today to go!

lala
Old 06-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #9  

Good morning. The sun is shining for the second day in a row. We are blessed.

I had a good day yesterday WRT eating. I still managed to scarf down a package of Werthers in the afternoon, but I went for a run after work so feel as though I worked them off. I stayed within points for the day - first time in a long time.

Pam: I'm heading for Boston next weekend with some women friends for a getaway, shopping weekend. We got a task of Filene's basement in february and need another fix!! BTW, I've been doing the same thing - not eating enough in the a.m. then eating non-stop later on. I'm working on that this week.

Lisa: I learned to run (and to love running) by using the Running Room technique. Week One, run 1 minute, walk 1 minute for a total of 20 minutes, three times. Week Two, run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute for a total of 20 minutes, etc. until you end up running the full 20 minutes, 3 times a week. It worked well for me. If you want more information, let me know.

lala: I need a challenge. Up for something like that?

Hi Melissa.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:06 AM   #10  
si, si signora

Hi Susan,

I'm up for it. I'm thinking for me, getting down 7 lbs by the 4th of July will be a challenge that I could live with. My ultimate goal would be to get to my goal weight or close enough by the end of December.

I'm happy you had a good day. I'm going to try today. We had a stressful day at work yesterday and last night had to do go out to dinner with all the folks from DC and Boulder. At least we went to a really good mexican place and I had halibut tacos and didn't indulge too much into the chips and didn't have a margarita.

Boston sounds like fun! I was going in two weeks, but now have to stay in town to meet with someone from another lab....

Gray and wet here. Very interesting rain and thunder and lightning last night. We saw many roya-bows.

At home this am to muster up some strength and try to get over this cold.

Hi to everyone!

lala
Old 06-01-2005, 11:04 AM   #11  
si, si signora

Posting again because I must say there is nothing cuter than watching a basset hound considering getting up in the am. There is a lot of jowl rearranging, tail flumphing, nose wrinkling and yawning and then right back to sleep. He is sooooooooooooo lucky I'm going to be here for the morning.

Typically, he'd be up at 6:15 whether he was ready or not.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #12  

Susan, glad you had an OP day. Hooray for you! Thanks for the information about running. Today I walked a block and ran two blocks the whole way on my circuit. I was pretty proud of myself. DH says don't worry about running the whole way, not yet. I'm probably trying to do too much as usual. Boston is so much fun and I love Filene's, too.

lala, sorry about the cold. Halibut tacos? Those sound awesome. I'm glad your presentations are over with.

I've been so busy today. Spent part of the day making electronic files. Then I ran around the building looking for someone who had prepared a certain Government form. After I spent about an hour and a half on that, I found out it wasn't due at this time. Oh well, at least now I know. I was still surprised that no one else knew what to do.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

It's been crazy here. We had a great weekend with my cousin; ate and drank way too much and it was reflected on the scale yesterday. I'm okay with it but it takes me to a weight that I don't want to be! Anyway, a challenge sounds good. I've been struggling with night time snacking and I need to get it under control. I've also been really, really lax on keeping my journal so my goal this week is to write down everything no matter what!

Pam: Welcome back! Vacations are always nice but the paperwork we have to face is another story!

Lala: DH is planting our garden this weekend--he's cutting back on the number of tomato plants and has decided to put in some zucchini & yellow squash. We'll see how they go. I also want to plant some basil.

Susan: We've missed you! I admire you for running and keeping up with the exercise. I need to get more into a routine in that department. I have been going to the Wellness Center and using the elliptical and weights at least once a week and I figure that's better than nothing at all and I'm still walking in between that. I love Filene's--we don't have one but I've visited the one in Chicago when I'm there. You can get some great deals.

Lisa: I've tried running a lap, then walking a couple, etc. and that works out pretty nice although I don't do it on a regular basis. I will admit that I feel energized when I do it.

Our weather has been gorgeous this week--high 60's, low 70's and sunny. I'm hoping it continues through the weekend but the forecasters are calling for rain. They've been wrong before. This past weekend they called for rain here at home and it was sunny; where we were at it rained

We're heading into our crazy time here--summer orientations and I wake up in the middle of night thinking about what needs to be done. Have a great Thursday!!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #14  

It's been raining here for three days, which is very unusual. I'm starting to get webbed feet!

I'm starting my countdown to vacation--8 more days till I leave for St. Maarten. My problem is I've started stressing about packing. Sometimes I do that and I don't know why. My mother said it's very warm, just take swimsuits, a coverup, shorts and tops and one sundress. Then why am I worried?

Yes, I'm running and staying with it, but it's not easy. I wish I was doing as well with my eating. I was hoping to be down a few pounds before the vacation.

Everyone, I was talking to a coworker (former WW member) yesterday and she has really gained weight. She was telling me that she hates being fat and that she knows that she needs to do something, but why doesn't she? I didn't know what to tell her except that she'll do something when she really wants to be thinner. I talked about my own experience and how I want to stay in good health. She has already developed high blood pressure. Any ideas?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #15  

Hi all. It's been crazy here at work. My boss has landed a new job and will be leaving shortly. I am supposed to have the summer off, so I praying desperately that this turn of events won't change that.

It sounds like a few of us are up for a challenge. My goal is to lose 10 lbs by the end of June. I think I can do it provided I keep a regular running schedule. If you wish, I will keep score My weigh-in is Tuesday, so I'll report on that day.

Lisa:
Running/walking blocks as you're doing works well too. Same idea as the run one/walk one minute. It's a gradual build-up. I found that I not only built endurance, but an actual love of it. St. Maarten's sounds wonderful.

Melissa: One of my goals for the summer is to start a weight training program and stick to it. I know it is increasingly important as we age, but I also loved weight training when I was younger, so hopefully that love will return.

lala: I laughed at your description of the hound trying to wake up. I miss having an animal to laugh at!!

Pam: I hope you've crawled out from under that load of paperwork.

It's an absolutely gorgeous day here -- warm and sunny. Yesterday was much the same. My running group got out for 6 km last evening and it was quite an adjustment from running in cold rain

Well ladies, I'm out of the office tomorrow on business. Have a great weekend. My in-laws are coming for the weekend, so it will likely be quiet with all of the emphasis on the next meal. Give me strength!
Closed Thread