Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:33 PM   #1  

Default Help Am I Doing Somehting Wrong!!

I have been on ww for 1 year and was doing great on it but in Feb i began to gain weight to date I have gained 18 pds back not sure if I am doing something wrong my leaders say I am not but but there has to be somthing I am not doing, I eat all my pionts, drink lots and lots of water, walk every day for about 60 min so if anyone ahs some help ideas PLEASE GIVE THEM!!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:02 PM   #2  

The only piece of advice I could give is to make sure you are eating the CORRECT types of foods. Sure, you could figure out points for bags of M&M's and candy bars, (not that you are doing this!!)but you have to make sure you are eating your fruits and veggies too! My leader also talks a lot about how important protein is, gives you energy and keeps you fuller longer.
Also, have you taken your measurements? Is it possible that you are gaining muscle?...but losing inches? Just another idea.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #3  
making friends

I have been doing ww for a while too and it sounds to me that you have hit a road block in your diet. Perhaps if you decreased your points to the minimum of the allowed points and amped up your exercise you will see the results again. Good Luck and keep up with your diet and exercise!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #4  

Could you post a day's food for us so we could see what you eat. Also, do you weigh and measure or are you just guessing at how much you are eating. Your portions may be bigger than you think.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:28 PM   #5  

Hi, make sure that you are being totally honest with yourself. Journal every bite, lick and taste, they add up points too!
Old 04-22-2005, 01:32 PM   #6  

Just want to add a separate message for Susan - wow, you have fabulous statistics, you have done so well, you should be very proud of yourself! Almost at goal too! Well done!
Old 04-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

Analyze the program and follow the Points Pies:

1) Where in your points range (range meaning utilizing your TPs, APs, and FPs) are you eating? Most people find they lose better when eating most if not all of their points for the week. Especially if you are exercising you need to eat toward a high point total and not the lower end. The reason is because your body thinks it is starving and slows down your metabolism and holds on to the calories you intake.

2) What are you spending your points on? Review the POINTSPIES (Also make sure you get in some REAL fat (butter, margarine, mayo, real salad dressing, etc) however your fats really should for health concerns come from non-saturated sources. I had subconsciously removed almost all fat from my diet and had plateaued for SIX (count them 6) months. Make sure you get in some fat. Again W/W and nutritionists recommend for health healthy fats such as olive, canola oils etc but the important thing is to not eliminate the fat and get in at least 2 points in real fats (this is from nutritional courses).

3) Are you drinking your water?

4) Are you eating a lot of processed foods (canned, frozen, etc.) which contain a lot of sodium, which causes water retention. What about diet sodas? They can cause bloating and water retention.

5) Are you exercising? Have you taken your measurements to see if you are building muscle while losing? Remember muscle weighs 2.2 times more than fat volume for volume (this means for a 3”x3” piece of muscle and a 3”x3” piece of fat the muscle will be 2.2 times heavier). If you are exercising remember to eat high in your point range.

6) Are you journaling? This includes every BLT (bite, lick and taste). Those BLTs can add up in 'hidden' points. My leader suggested for each BLT or freebie to put a tick mark in your journal and for each 4-5 add 1 point to your day.

7) Are you calculating points correctly? Ninety percent of new members don't count points correctly. I have a favorite muffin and I realized my 3-point muffin is really 6 points because it is 2 servings. Make sure you use the nutritional information rather than the 'generic' list W/W puts out. You'll find a lot of differences.

Once you have analyzed these things then you need to start playing with the program to adapt it to you and your body. Like reducing the carbs and increasing the protein and stuff like that.

Points Pies

Balanced (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8-9 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 6-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day
Milk and Milk Products – 4-6 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Protein (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 5-6 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 9-11 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-1 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-4 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Carb (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 9-10 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 5-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 1-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 1-2 points a day

20-28 points a day

-----

Balanced (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 11 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 10 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 3-4 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Protein (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 12 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 2-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 4-5 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Carb (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 13 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 8 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 2-4 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 3 points a day

30-34 points a day
Old 04-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #8  
BJ3

Just a short note. Once when I followed program perfectly, drank all of my water and exercised a minimum of 35 minutes every day and didn't lose a single pound - I went back and analyzed what I had eaten. My ww leader had given us a delicious ww receipe using left over lean ham from Easter. It was a ham, macaroni, & lite Velveeta skillet dinner. I liked it so well I made it twice during the week. However, I think it was why I didn't lose weight that week. The next week I lost 4 pounds. I think I just can't eat ham. Keep the faith. If you follow the program you will lose weight!
Old 04-22-2005, 07:11 PM   #9  

You might consider getting a physical. Some things like thyroid problems can cause unexplained weight gain.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:46 PM   #10  
LBTEPA

Totally agree with Cher - get some blood tests. Thyroid problems, iron deficiency etc can really mess up your metabolism. Are you feeling tired as well? This happened to me and as soon as I got the iron levels sorted I started to lose again. Also maybe mix up the exercise a bit eg some weights, an exercise bike,a tae-bo dvd or something like that.
Good luck!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 06:22 PM   #11  

Thanks for your information. I've been rather frustrated lately, as well.

I've been on WW for a little over 2 months and have lost 15.5 lbs, but the majority of the weight was the first week. Since then, it's been 1/2 lb, or no lbs., weekly, overall, which seems so very slow. This last week I didn't lose anything. I do have a slow thyroid and am on meds, am an trying NOT to lose the motivation.

I'll also try the pointers listed here.

Cindy
Closed Thread