Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 10:51 PM   #1  

Yesterday I was in my WW Meeting and we were discussing low point snacks. Someone mentioned WOW's potato chips and our leader said she would not get into a discussion about WOW's. Does anyone know what the controversy is? I love WOW's and have always considered them a good low point snack. Can someone enlighten me?
Old 02-26-2001, 11:01 PM   #2  

It all has to do with the fat substitute used in the WOW potatochips/snacks. People who are sensitive to it can have all sorts of gastrointestinal difficulties. I am not a leader but I assume that the ww organization has decided not to endorse this product as a low point alternative because of this.

I also do not have a problem with this product..except of course in not eating the whole container....but that is a different matter
Old 02-26-2001, 11:26 PM   #3  

I'll start by saying I am not in WW, but check this board frequently as there is a lot of good info here.

As far as WOW chips, I consulted a nutritionist and she told me that as long as I don't have a problem with them to eat them. Her comment was you don't read in the paper of someone dying from eating WOW chips, but you do hear people dying from being obese, heat disease, etc.

So if you enjoy them, I say eat them, but as with everything in moderation.

love and luck,
gina

250/210/160
Old 02-27-2001, 12:40 AM   #4  

I recently bought a box of FF Pringles, which is also made with Olestra (the stuff that may cause the gastro problems). I ate my 1 ounce portion, which was 15 chips and had no stomach problems; but the warning on the box is a little scary. They were pretty good.

------------------
Ginaki
195/152/150/145
Old 02-27-2001, 12:52 AM   #5  

I eat the WOW chips about
twice a week, and have never
had any problems with them, but
I never eat more than a serving,
two at the most at a time.
I think it was pretty rude of the
leader to not even discuss it with you,
left you wondering......
Old 02-27-2001, 01:34 AM   #6  

This may sound a little weird, but one of the things I love about the WOW chips is that I'm VERY careful to use portion control with them. With regular chips, I'm all too likely to count out my 1 serving, journal it, eat it, enjoy it so much that I want more, go back, get more, etc., etc., etc. With the WOW chips, I'm very aware of the possibilty of problems, so I always just have 1 serving.

Also, the other issue with Olestra is that it can affect the absorbability of some vitamins. Therefore, you shouldn't eat them soon after taking a vitamin. I tend to eat them (once or twice a week) as a snack in the afternoon, by themselves. I figure this way, the Olestra won't affect my body's ability to absorb vitamins from lunch, nor dinner.

Kim
Old 02-27-2001, 05:30 AM   #7  

Kim,

I do the same thing with the WOW chips. With normal chips I would just grap a handful or eat out of the bag, but with WOW chips I always count them out!

Maybe that is a new diet strategy!!

love and luck,
gina
Old 02-27-2001, 09:07 PM   #8  
Getting better every day!

I am one of those who DOES have a problem with WOW chips-it took awhile before I figured it out. I like the taste of them and especially with my Subway sandwich-it was a great way to shave 1 point from my lunch. However, about a day after eating them, I began experiencing problems. However, it took me a few times of eating them (not in the same week) before I figured it out. I have since stayed away.
However, there are better ways in which a leader can say that she does not want to discuss them instead of dismissing you because you asked a question.

------------------
Donna
[email protected] (work)
[email protected](home)
Old 02-28-2001, 06:35 AM   #9  

I eat WOW chips regularly and love them. I used to only trust myself with a small bag but I now am able to get the regular size bag and dole them out by serving. I have one to two servings at a time.
Regular chips just cost too many calories, so any time I had them I felt like I was blowing my eating plan. With WOW chips I feel like I can work them in during a regular day and not feel I have to cut way back on everything else.
Old 02-28-2001, 07:05 AM   #10  

I too have had no problems with Wow chips. Maybe this sounds cynical but perhaps your leader wouldn't discuss them because they are not a benefit to WW. I quit my meetings because it became more of a comercial endorsement for WW and their many products then a support group. I like many of their products but I didn't think it was worth $12 to watch a commercial.
Old 02-28-2001, 10:16 AM   #11  

I only buy the fat free Pringles for home- because of the neat packaging and how easy it is to count out a 15 chip serving. I buy the WoWs at work - because our vending machines carry one serving size bags (1 point for a bag) which I have called Frito' Lays about and begged them to put out in the stores. They have not complied. Their loss.

Anyway, I think their both great. I've had
no problem with either brand. And I've had a few out of control moments where I practically ate a whole can of the pringles- no reaction at all. I wish they'd put olestra in some of these awful tasting fat free salad dressings - I bet it would make a world of difference.
Old 02-28-2001, 10:49 PM   #12  

Unfortunately, I am one of those folks who have problems with the chips with Olestra. I LOVE them, especially the Nacho Cheese Dorito version, but I just can't eat them without paying for it.

The controversy has mostly been spurred on by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, who really feel that Olestra should not have been approved. I don't agree with them, even though I'm one of the people who can't eat them without REAL side effects. Heck, it they didn't give me perfectly horrible diarrhea, you can bet they'd be on my weekly grocery list! I have other digestive problems, so I sort of write it off to that - I think I'm just more sensitive to it.

You can find out more about their views and facts about the products made with olestra here: http://www.cspinet.org/olestra/index.html

------------------
Jenni
257.5/229/132 (-28.5)

http://www.bugsbest.com
Old 03-01-2001, 11:33 PM   #13  

My son has major problems with WOW chips, can't touch the stuff without running to the bathroom. My daughter and I also tried them (just a few) and had no problems. After watching my son, I decided not to buy them anymore BUT the WOW chips and FF Pringles are included in the Complete Food Companion put out by WW. The leader probably just has a personal opinion about them and didn't want to start an arguement.
Old 03-02-2001, 10:23 AM   #14  

I posted this under the food topic but I was in my grocery store today and they had Discontinued signs next to all the WOW products. I checked the Frito Lays web site and there was no information about this (and WOWs still has its own page.) I love WOWs and I am someone whose GI system they actually help and I too count them out. I have a small bag with lunch every couple of days. I love these things!!! Please don't go away!
Old 03-05-2001, 12:19 PM   #15  

I have also noticed a shortage of WOW chips at my supermarket. Hmmm...... I hope they are not going away. I don't eat them that often, but I love having the option.

Michele
Closed Thread