Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 09:09 AM   #16  

These sound fabulous and I'm so excited to try them!

Please tell me . . . where in the grocery store will I find wheat bran? In the baking aisle? Health food section? Just a couple of guesses.
Old 11-21-2000, 07:28 PM   #17  

In my store the bran's over by the oatmeal -
Old 11-21-2000, 07:37 PM   #18  

Has anyone tried these and compared them to how the purchased cookies taste ?

These sound great and I'm curious as to how they compare.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2000, 08:31 PM   #19  

Hi all~~~

I can get the wheat bran at some of my grocery stores- it is can be in the baking isle or the cereal isle (near the oatmeal). Please do not get mixed up and buy the wheat germ- it has a lot more calories and fat an da lot less fiber per 1/4 cup. The best place I have found to get the wheat bran is Bulk Food Pantry- I am not sure how wide spread they are around the country. I go and fill a big bag of it and it is cheaper then when I buy a little bag at the grocery store. If you are having problems, you could probably check at health food stores, but the cost would probably go up.

Janet- I would love to hear from someone who has bought the "real" ones versus my recipe to see how they compare. I am partial- I admitt it, but so far I like mine-lol- and I don't have the money to order the other ones or the patience to wait. I also have a lot of food allergies, so I cna make sure nothing goes in that I might react to.

I have some other fat free/low fat muffins recipes that I haven't had time to finalize before I post them...one of these days I will get around to it.

Later~
Christine
Old 11-21-2000, 08:42 PM   #20  

I tried the recipe over the weekend & made the pumpkin variety. Unfortunately, I didn't like them & don't compare to the Baker's Breakfast cookies IMO (sorry christineu). The dough looked & smelled good, but the cookies seemed to have too much of the bran flavor/texture & seemed very dry to me. I baked them only about 20-23 minutes(about the minimum time per your recipe).

I double checked all my ingredients & don't think I made any errors, so I don't know if I did something wrong or they just aren't my cup of tea.

I will be trying your no-pudge brownie copycat recipe, christineu.

Thanks!
Katie

[This message has been edited by kt marie (edited 11-21-2000).]
Old 11-22-2000, 10:32 PM   #21  

Christine - Made a double batch of the carrot/raisin variety - and they're all gone! I loved them - great breakfast food. They have a muffin texture to them that is not like Baker's, but they satisfy my cookie tooth and are good for me too! The Baker's variety are more "cookie" sweet and chewy - I'd describe it as more of an oatmeal cookie texture. This might be achieved by baking just a little while longer - or figuring out a portion of oatmeal that could be added (maybe oat meal or flour instead of whole wheat?). I'm going to try the maple syrup version (with raisins instead of nuts, however), and see if that's a little sweeter, too. At any rate, they're terrific and you're the best for bringing it to us. I think I'll be able to portion out more slowly the BBC I have in my freezer while also enjoying a new standard to my food choices. Thanks, Susan

------------------
Susan Thurston Hamerski
WW Lifetimer
Old 11-23-2000, 02:51 AM   #22  

CHRISTINE I haven't tried your recipe yet because I'm in the throes of packing and moving. I'm wondering about giving the bran a quick toss in the blender? Maybe some oats? How about using apple butter...soon we'll have a thousand variations on your genius!!!

Thanks for the effort. I intend to continue buying the originals, but it will be fun to try making my own as well.

------------------
There are many paths up the mountain but we'll all reach the peak if we just keep climbing.
Old 11-24-2000, 09:40 PM   #23  

Christine,
How would you do chocolate, chocolate chip?
I'm not sure how much cocoa to add. Haven't tried the other variations yet, I can't wait to because they sound so good!

------------------
Old 11-24-2000, 11:16 PM   #24  

Mommy2-

I am not sure how much cocoa you would have to add- you may also have to add more surgar to sweeten them too. I have to finish up what I made last weekend before I start making any more and trying any new variations. I have been surprised by how much I like the chocolate chip ones when I am craving a candy bar- I would not have thought that 1/2 tablespoon per cookie would be enough to satisfy my chocolate tooth.

lhendricks- I hope your move goes well and that you are able to try these real soon. Someday I will get a chance to try one of the real BBC, but in the mean time I will settle for my own.

Susan- It is interesting to see your comment regarding the difference between mine and the real BBC- it really makes me wonder about their nutritional analysis, based on the list of ingrediants they provide. They only list wholewheat flour (no bran) and there is no way you can get the high fiber content with that and have teh # of calories they report. I think they may use more sugar- the very first batch I tried had 1/2 cup brown sugar, but I thought it was to sweet for my taste so I went down to 1/4 cup, but was still very muffin-like. I also wonder if the yogurt adds more mosture/softness then the egg whites they use? I actually like using the yogurt as it add more protein and calcium and it reacts well with baking powder/soda to raise whatever you are baking. I would have never though I could use it as much as I do until I tried it the first time. I do have some oat bran- I will have to see if I can find the nutritional info on it and try it in my baking. I hit the bulk food store Wednesday and bought 5-6 pounds of the wheat bran- it is only 89 cents a pound so I should be set for a couple of months (I have another knee surgery Dec 11 so I would be doing much shopping in the next 2 months).

Katie- I don't know what to tell you- everyone else has been making them and they have turned out. If anything, I have to watch that they are not too moist that they do not hold together. Maybe the pumkin was a very dry pumkin or something. I hope you like the brownies.

Christine

Christine
Old 11-25-2000, 08:03 AM   #25  

I have tried the "cookies" and I think they are great. I was wondering if anyone has tried to add peanutbutter, or would that increase the points to much.
Old 11-25-2000, 08:43 AM   #26  

char-

I have not tried to add any peanout butter- I only use "real" peanut butter so even if I did, it does not bake the same way as the Jiffy kind-lol. Hopefully someone will be able to come up with a suggestions for using peanut butter without increasing the points to much. I am glad you like the recipe and have had success with it.

Christine
Old 11-26-2000, 02:08 AM   #27  
REC

How 'bout using peanut butter chips to get the peanut butter flavor without too many extra points?
Old 11-26-2000, 03:26 AM   #28  

How many points are peanut butter chips???
Old 11-26-2000, 07:31 AM   #29  
REC

230 calories/13g fat/0 fiber for 1/4 cup Reeses peanut butter chips.

200 calories/17g fat/0 fiber for 2 tablespoons peanut butter.

If I recall correctly, there are PB chips in the Baker's PB cookies. (Only had them once, though.)
Old 11-29-2000, 03:57 AM   #30  

Christine and All Baker's Cookie Fans or Wanabees - Just tried the maple-nut, only used raisins instead of nuts. Terrific! They will be gone by Friday, and then I'm going to try the semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of the nuts and add some pumpkin, too. I baked this last batch the maximum time and the syrup make the crispier edges nice and sweet.

I propose, Christine, that we not even try to duplicate Baker's, but promote your creation on its own virtues. They are considerable. Christine's Best No-Butt Cookies, or something like that!!????

Cheers, and back to the cookie kitchen. Susan

------------------
Susan Thurston Hamerski
WW Lifetimer
Closed Thread