Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 05:15 PM   #1  

Default Labor Day Mini Challenge!

Hey, everyone! I am FINALLY back, and desperately need some challenge buddies to keep me company...anyone interested?
Labor Day is September 6, just enough time to lose a little fat, gain a little muscle!
Here are my goals:
1. Walk 5 times a week, minimum.
2. Stick to my pts.
3. Kick up my water intake. (Cut back my diet Pepsi intake!)

Hopefully this will help me to lose 15lbs. I know this is a big goal, losing 2lbs/week, but I am aiming big! I just found out yesterday that I am in a wedding mid September, and my laziness and lack of comittment has definitely allowed my butt (etc...)to get a little large!!

Who else is in?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:08 AM   #2  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

Tara,

I am also up for a good challenge. I have done SB since Feb. but I need a little change. Ok A big change....... LOL

So Here I am. I am starting ww today. And am very excited about it!

I was down to 157 but I have been slacking and I am now up to 170 as of this morning. So My goal is to get back to 157.

I didn't realize how soon labor day will be here...... eeeeekkkkkkk!!!!!

Come on Girls! We can do this!!!!!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:09 PM   #3  

Thanks for joining me, mompen! Sounds like we are on the same track. I was down to 157 last fall, and have slowly (and lazily) crept back up higher than I would like! Are you going to meetings, or doing it online, or on your own? Have you still been doing Sugar Busters, or did you quit that? Have you done WW before? Good luck! If you have any questions, let me know!
Old 07-21-2004, 10:00 AM   #4  

Good Morning Tara and Penny - I'd love to join you in a little mini-challenge and our current weights and goals are about identical. I'm also trying to get back to goal - which is about 150 and 20 pounds away.

I'm trying very hard to get motivated after 4 months of doing nothing (complicated foot surgery). Today my last set of stitches comes out and hopefully I'll get clearance to get moving again. Haven't been eating all that badly but lack of exercise has taken a toll. My wish for Labor Day is to be able to take my favorite 3 mile walk. Might be a little aggressive but if I can do this . . . I'm convinced the rest will fall into place.

So - on day one of my quest I will eat within my points, drink my water and most importantly - wash my foot! Lord I am tired of casts!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:32 AM   #5  

Susie- Thanks for joining us! That must be a huge relief to get your cast off! What did you do to get in it in the first place?
Things have been going ok. I have been a bit over my pts, but have been very busy to make up for it. Hopefully this balances things out! I am just dreading getting a bridesmaid dress, though. I don't even think we will be going shopping for them, I think we will order from Sears catalogue, because anything from a boutique would take too long. I need a full body suuck-it-in garmet to go under whatever I find!
Todays focus: using my pts wisely and getting a walk in.
Have a great day!
Old 07-21-2004, 04:38 PM   #6  

Thanks for the welcome Tara. Your message brought to mind a trip that I made to a very trendy boutique here in Seattle. I was looking for a little back dress and the saleswoman insisted that I try on something that was made for waifs (I have real woman curves - even at goal weight). I was horrified at how I looked in this thing but the saleswoman's only comment was "Girl - you need to get your undergarments in order". Apparently "all the waifs wear them".
Old 07-22-2004, 12:27 AM   #7  

Yeah, good underwear sure can help. It seems to cost the same as the outter wear, though!!!
I have curves even at goal weight too. Not quite as many as I do now, though!
How are you doing for staying OP?
I had an ok day, I have had a couple of rough noon hours. I am a teacher who is still trying to find a permanent position, so I run a dayhome out of our home. I find when I am prepping lunch I have a few too many bites. I need to get some gum to keep in the kitchen!!
I think my Labor Day goal may be a little too high!!!
Old 07-22-2004, 10:03 AM   #8  

I'm doing okay - but not great. I totally relate to the temptation of Bite, Licks, and Tastes while I'm cooking. One trick that your post reminded me of is having a bowl of popcorn on hand to satisfy the urge to sample.

Do you go to meetings? I am strictly online at this point and finding that it takes a lot more diligence without the accountability of having a formal weigh in.

I hope that your quest for a new teaching position turns for the better. Lord knows you're needed out there in the education system.

I'm off to a seminar on project management. I am trying to put together a series of lunchtime sessions for our PM's and thought I could use a refresher course to get me motivated (and informed). My mantra for the day is "Move away from the sweets". They always put out giant tables of innocent looking little pastries at these things. I'm equipped with a slimfast bar to split up between morning and afternoon breaks and had a nice bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:42 PM   #9  

Susie,
Good ideas for staying away from the sweets. Thats how it is at school in the staff room too. There is ALWAYS something tempting sitting there!!
No, I have decided not to go to meetings right now. I am a Lifetime Member, so there is the motivation of never repaying the joining fee...I really should start going again, but I have been going on and off for so long that I don't find the meetings very motivating!! They were great the first time around (when I lost over 65lbs) but not so much anymore!!
How did your seminar end up?
Old 07-24-2004, 12:26 AM   #10  

Happy Weekend Tara!

Teacher lounges (are they still called that?) really are a hotbed for decadent foods aren't they? A friend once told me once that sugar was the only way she could keep up with her second graders.

The seminar was good - thanks for asking. Most of it was refresher but I gained a pretty good sense of what I need to include in the in-house training sessions that I am planning. I gained invaluable insight as to the issues and questions that less experienced project managers have.

Its very hot in Seattle this week - almost too hot to eat. We stocked up in grilling foods for the weekend and have a good plan for staying on track. I just got an ice cream machine and now that we have made a few rediculously high point varieties I am starting to find lower point options. Low fat yogurt with most any combination of pureed fruit is really great. Another really quick and easy recipe (although not quite so healthy) is fat/sugar free pudding made in the ice cream machine.

I am also lifetime and share your feelings about meetings. Hopefully I can do this on my own but if I am not down ten pounds by mid-September I am going to need to be honest with myself and start going again. (I absolutely refuse to buy new ski pants this year and they didn't fit that well last year). There is a lunch-time meeting a block from my office so it is almost too convenient to not take advantage of even if its just for six weeks to get the new materials.

Hope you have a great OP weekend. Mondays are bad enough without adding remorse over eating the wrong things.

Susie

Last edited by susie; 07-24-2004 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:40 PM   #11  

Susie- Wow, and ice cream machine sounds like fun...and yes, trouble too! The kids I babysit for would love it!!
You know, I had no prob with the teachers lounge when I was interning, and on WW for the first time. I just said no. It has never been that easy since, and I have never lost like I did then or looked so good. At least I realize it!!
How hot is hot, in Seattle? It was about 32 here yesterday, but there was a breeze so it didn't seem too bad. We have to be outside again today, I think it will be worse!
Ibetter run, tons to do today!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:31 AM   #12  

Hot is around 95*F. Enought to "force" us down to the beach for the day. The dog went absolutely crazy and swam literally all afternoon. Yesterday was a bit cooler and we went to the Mariners play. It was very fun and I stayed pretty much on track.

Looking forward to another great summer week - I'm starting to get used to not having a cast - although still walking pretty slow I am getting steadier.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:33 AM   #13  

p.s. - looks like you are down a couple of pounds?! Congratulations and continued positive results!
Old 07-27-2004, 12:31 AM   #14  

thanks, susie! i do not really deserve the loss, but i will take it anyway!
what day do you weigh in?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:25 AM   #15  

Smile

Hi everyone. I have been viewing this website for a few years but have never posted. I would like to join your challenge. I just returned from vacation and back from my yearly checkup with the doctor. I gained some weight since last year and would really like to have a great weight loss when I go back next year. Also, I recently turned 40 and it has been a wake-up call for me. I bought a treadmill for my birthday and plan on using it. I will either use the treadmill or walk 5 times a week. My 7-year daughter loves to walk with me. I know my biggest challenge is keeping a journal of what I eat. I have done WW and I know it does work. I work at my kids' school and will be starting back to work this week. Hopefully, this will keep me too busy to think about food and I can get back on track.

Anyway, I would like to lose at least 10 lbs by Labor Day. I weigh 249 (gosh that is hard to admit and see it in print!). Hopefully, this will be my turning point. Look forward to talking to all of you.
Closed Thread