Boredom and the apple - ideas to keep on program!!!!!

• The best WW meeting I ever attended was actually an "assignment" meeting. The week before, we had been given an assignment to eat an apple, and to write down everything about that apple and how we felt about it. What? I felt it was the strangest thing I'd ever had to do.
    Well, during the week I fought eating my apple. By Sunday morning breakfast (my meeting was a Monday meeting) I begrudgingly took the plain old boring apple out of the refrigerator and there it was, a green granny smith and looking so unappealing (get the pun?) So, here I was with this apple.... so I started writing about how boring it was to me, I'd been eating so many apples in my weight loss efforts and what I really wanted was an apple crisp or apple pie vs. this plain old boring apple.
    I decided the apple would be much better peeled so I began to do that and wrote about the tart and nice smell that came from this apple as it was peeled. I began to slice it, and the crisp and crunchy noise it made when I sliced it began to get me interested in eating it, finally.
    But, I still have to admit, I wanted the warm comfort food pie or crisp.
    Well, there is was, all sliced in this nice bowl. Yep. There it was. But.... the pie! The apple crisp! It still wasn't what I really craved.
    So, I got the idea that if I sprinkled cinnimon on it, and then some nutmeg maybe it would be a substitute. Boy did that smell great and those spices had no points! Then, I got another brainstorm! I sprinkled a packet of calorie free sweetener over it and covered it with cling wrap and in the microwave it went! It smelled so good! The smell that was like applie pie and was all over the kitchen and first floor of the house. Then, wouldn't you know my husband walked in, sniffing, asking if I'd make one for him!
    At any rate, I ate my "apple" but I added something to it, a little zing! I wasn't bored, I took a creative slant and stretched my imagination. I learned.
    When I read my written report the next morning at my WW meeting, I got applause and won a free WW cookbook too! It was the best and most memorable apple I've ever eaten!
    So, the next time you are bored with the "same old thing", think "outside the box".
    Please, everyone, do share any other inventive ideas you have to prevent boredom so we can all stay on program!!!! I need to read them!
    Thanks for reading this far.
  • Great post!
  • Sounds yummy! ... I'm off to the kitchen to pop an apple in the microwave right now!!