Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 07:57 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - May 3, 2004

Good morning lifers. How was your weekend?

Quiet here. DH called a few times; he's finely at his final destination in Italy after a horrendous trip. Major problems with the flight from Montreal; they finally flew into a different city than originally planned and as a result had less than 24 hours in Florence. No matter; they all got there safe and sound and start work today!

I weighed in on Saturday. I was scared to death to see the damage, but as it turns out I actually was down 1.4 since January! Woohoo! Lighter summer clothing, no doubt, but I'll take it. I'm committed to getting back under goal by the time DH gets home in early June.

No run yesterday. I'm experiencing some pain in my lower leg and it was quite bad after the 6km run on Saturday so I've decided to give it a few days rest. I'm getting nervous now that the race is so close; don't want anything to prevent me from achieving this milestone!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

Hi, Susan. Welcome back. I was gone all last week to a conference. It was a great one and the hotel resort was superb. I didn't gain any weight either, so that was a plus.

My play closed and it was a great success. Now I'm getting ready for my next show which is all music. We perform Classical Music and songs from Broadway.

Sorry to hear about your husband's trip. At least he's safe and sound now.

How is everyone else?
Old 05-03-2004, 11:30 AM   #3  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Back from New York and Boston. Had a good trip. Didn't eat terribly and actually worked out in New York. I had a run in with a cannoli in Little Italy, but that was soo worth it. We stopped at a famous spumoni place and I resisted. Ditto for a reputable kosher bakery with killer rugulach. One of the people I was with had lost a good 50 lbs on WW and we talked about it. She ate pretty small portions of everything and drank lots of water.

Yesterday , we got home early -- 11 am and sort of caught up. Our friend came over last night and we tried to console him. His separation hearing is this am. I hope they judge is fair. He hasn't seen his kids in two weeks.

Susan -- Getting to sea trials can be half the battle. Was he planning a couple of days in Florence? I take it he's leaving from Genova? I hope your leg feels better.

Domina -- You go girl. One day we'll make it down to Florida to see you perform!

Hi Melissa -- Hope you are doing okay.

Long week here. Hope to get everything accomplished.

lala
Old 05-03-2004, 11:51 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! It's chilly here today--only 39 and it's cloudy. It started out sunny but over the last hour or so the clouds have rolled in. Yesterday it rained most of the day so I didn't do a whole heck of a lot. Sat on the couch and read!

My sister drove in from VA on Thursday and then headed back home early Sunday morning--it was a very brief visit.

Susan: Glad to hear your WI wasn't as bad as you thought. You're right about taking it easy on the leg--better to rest it rather than push.

Domina: Woohoo on not gaining during the conference!

Not too much happening here--I've been struggling a little with eating and I think it's a stress/boredom thing. I'm working on it so it could be worse. The weather certainly doesn't help things! Tomorrow we're having "tea" at noon--it's a ritual at the end of the semester for my workstudies and I have one who will be graduating. She's been a great asset to the office (I've had her for 3 years) and she'll be missed.

Hi to Pam, Lala!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:54 PM   #5  

Hi Everyone,

Kind of a rainy day here today same as yesterday. A soso weekend, not overly busy. The conference I went to on Friday was good, some pretty interesting speakers. It started at 8:00 and didn't end until 4:30. I went out for drinks after with friends and limited myself to 2 glasses of wine.

Domina glad your back. Congrats on the play.

Susan congrats on the loss at WI. Glad your DH has arrived safely.

Lala did you enjoy your weekend in Boston and NY? I know the weather was much better on Saturday than Sunday. Good luck to your friend with his separation agreement.

Melissa hope you had a nice visit with your sister. It must be difficult to lose assistants when they graduate. The conference I went to on Friday was sponsored by a local college. Many of the students helped to get it organized. The college president mentioned many times that she would really miss their assistance after they graduate in a couple of weeks.

Hope you all are having a good Monday. I have a feeling this is going to be a long work week. Talk to you later.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:22 AM   #6  

Hi. It's pouring rain here this morning and so foggy that I can't see the building across the street. On the brighter side of the news, the grass is turning a nice shade of green and the buds on the trees are about to burst. Bring it on!

lala: The trials are being conducted out of Lerici (sp?). When they wrap up, he and a colleague will be driving to see relatives in Belgium, then flying out of Paris. At least that was the plan when he left.

Melissa: It's hard to lose good people, especially after 3 years. I went through that a lot when I was in a position to hire public relations students for 4-month terms. Some of them were so good; the temptation was to ask them to stay on instead of going back to school.

Domina: When does your next show open? You sure keep busy!

Pam: It's funny how the scale can surprise you sometimes. I fully expected to be up another 2 or 3 pounds. Of course, I've also been surprised the other way - when I felt I should have lost but stayed the same or even gained. Anyway, the hard part was going back after such a long absence. I plan to attend weekly from now on.

It's Tuesday and that means run clinic tonight. They're doing speed workouts. I don't do speed, but I may go for a run depending on how my leg feels.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #7  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Cooler and grey here. I'll take it, it makes golf easier.

Nothing much going on here, spending time consoling our friend while trying to work and get stuff done. I couldn't sleep past 5 this am, so I read a book and did some yard work. I will be bushed tonight.

I weighed in this am, down another 1.4#, I am pleased considering my run in with my cannoli this weekend. I am going to try and keep on this lower carb thing until I leave in 17 days.

Melissa -- I totally can understand the relationship between stress/boredom and eating. I am hoping that summer will keep some of that at bay. Its hard to eat when you are outside gardening. I hope your tea went well.

Pam -- I thought Friday and Saturday were lovely. My experiences with New England are either cold and rainy or muggy and hot. It was strange to see everything blooming at one time -- lilacs, daffodils, wisteria, forthsythia, tulips. What do they say about New England Springs -- If you blink, you may miss it.

Domina -- How are things going in the world of show business?

Susan -- Sounds like DP has quite a schedule for his trip. At least he can see some relatives on the way back. If he needs the name of a few chocolatiers in Brussels, I'll be happy to supply them. I hope you leg is feeling better for your clinic.

Okay, time to get cracking here. Its time to start looking at the calendar and make some changes to my schedule.

lala
Old 05-04-2004, 02:29 PM   #8  

Hi everyone! What a day at work today. That Sasser virus hit our company computers. The Intranet has been down most of the day. We have no e-mail; it's really a useless day, but I keep smiling It's very windy here today, but pleasant (mid-70's). DH and I are going golfing after work; the wind could be a challenge.

Susan, I can't imagine my DH being gone for so long. I probably would find it easier to stay OP though. I'm glad to hear that Spring is on its way. Speed work? I'm with you, nothing speedy about my running.

Melissa, tell us about your tea. It sounds like fun.

lala, my next show is on Sunday 5/9 and then the next two weekends. I'm singing Habanera from "Carmen" as well as I Dreamed a Dream from Les Miz. I also did not sleep well last night--is there a connection somewhere? How's the golfing coming? Isn't it fun? It's a lot more difficult than it seems, isn't it?

Hi to Pam.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:34 PM   #9  
si, si signora

Domina --
I'm starting to make contact with the ball. Its a good thing.

Having a partner that is gone 4 days a week and often we're apart for weeks, you
do get used to it.

lala
Old 05-04-2004, 03:22 PM   #10  

Hi everyone! It's sunny & cool here (50)...tomorrow is supposed to bring rain but the temps are supposed to start increasing.

Lala: Congrats on another loss! You're doing great!

Domina: My sister got hit with the Sasser virus--she was so frustrated last evening when I talked with her. I haven't heard anything about the computers here at the university being hit with it.

Susan: Spring is my favorite time of the year--I love it when the trees are just budding out and you see the pale green of the leaves. Most the leaves are out here and my lilacs are getting ready to pop open. Most of my daffodils/tulips have bloomed. Hope you're able to get a run in this evening.

The tea went well at lunch--my girls enjoy it and it gives us some time to sit back and just talk. I keep teacups, teapots, little spoons, etc. in the office just for these occasions. I was busy in the the kitchen last evening making scones, cream, sandwich fillings. We had cream cheese & cucumber, smoked turkey, and strawberries & cream cheese sandwiches. I also picked up some wonderful fresh strawberries and fresh pineapple. It was fun and the girls enjoy it. I usually try to have 2 teas for them during the year. Our support staff hosts two teas (Membership in October and then Spring in May) and we hold them in the Board Room of Old Main, which is a Victorian mansion. I have to say tea is kind of a passion for me and I enjoy finding tea rooms, etc. Sorry to ramble on here...

DH is still off work with his back--he had an MRI done last evening and when he met with his doctor this a.m. he found out he has 3 bulging discs (don't know how bad or what that exactly means). Sounds to me like his rugby-playing days are done. Not much else going on here--I should be getting some stuff done here in the office but have no ambition to do it,

Have a good evening!!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:59 AM   #11  

DH and I played golf last night. There was a cool breeze and we had a good time. Temps are starting to climb here--88 degrees by the weekend (HOT!)

Yes, congrats to Susan and lala for their weight loss (sorry I didn't mention that before)

lala, yes, you're right, it's a good thing when you make contact with the ball. My drives last night were good; my chips were too big and went over the greens!!

Melissa, I'm with you. I just think Spring is wonderful when you see the little buds and the flowers come out. My day lilies are blooming now and they are beautiful; they surprise me each year.

I also enjoy teas; what a nice idea. Scones?? I love them.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:30 PM   #12  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Slow this am, don't quite know why. I worked out with the trainer and did weights and I do believe I'll be sore.

All this talk of scones is making my stomach grumble. I had egg beaters with some sharp cheese and two chicken sausage links for breakfast -- 4.5 pts and I am full, but the notion of a scone......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Domina-- Do you belong to a golf course or club? I wish my parents had the foresight to buy a country club membership when they moved, but no. Oh well. Sound like you guys had a great time.

Melissa -- My dahlias are about a foot high. Yikes. Its time to give them some compost and water them. We have had no measurable precip for at least a week, strange for seattle.

Susan -- how did the clinic go? Congrats too on your loss. Steady and downward we go.

Pam -- I hope your work week is going well.

Okay, time to deal with work. I get my hair cut at 6:15 tonight. I am soo excited, it needs it.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:03 PM   #13  

lala, no, we don't belong to any one club, although we tend to play at one course. No precip in Seattle? You've got to be kidding. SIL lives there and she always says how rainy it is.

Don't haircuts always brighten your day? Also, massages always help; hmmm, I have a gift certificate for one from my birthday. I need to use it.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:21 PM   #14  

Hi everyone! Went for my WI at noon and was down 2# from last week...I guess I wasn't as bad as I thought I was. I'm instituting some of the Fast Track stuff I learned from before because I was more satisfied and didn't look for food.

Weather here is sunny but cool, can't complain since the sun is out. I'm just hoping it sticks around so I can get out for a walk.

Domina: FL is abundant with tea rooms...when I visit my GF we usually hit 4-5 different ones and "review" them. PA doesn't have a whole lot but I've found 5 in OH that are fairly close. There's nothing quite like a good scone with jam and a pot of PG Tips.

Lala: I get my hair cut on Friday...I so enjoy getting pampered. The scones in London were wonderful. I got a couple from Harrod's and brought some back from Marks & Spencer...I wish they were available here

Hi to Susan, Pam!
Old 05-05-2004, 02:50 PM   #15  
si, si signora

Melissa ---

I hear you on the scones in London. I have a one day layover on May 31 into London. Do you want me to fed ex. you some from Dallas on June 1?

I will admit to bringing home hot cross buns from London and divine little raisin rolls from le pain quotidien when are in brussels and apple tarts from polaine in Paris. I will be happy to just get home in June.

Congrats on your loss.

I am hoping to be down a few before May 21.

lala
Closed Thread