Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 06:07 PM   #151  

Chach....
Thanks chickie...you are AWESOME!!!! Was reading some of your past posts, that I had missed, and all I have to say it WAY TO GO!!!!!
Okay, I'm back at it.....going to clear a spot in the basement and get that treadmill brought in from the garage.....going to really READ Dr. Phil's book that I've skimmed through many times, and going to get my butt back on track!!! You're so right, I don't want to go back to my same habits!!! Onederland, here I come....I was at 214 this morning....my bday is on Sat, and I have a huge day planned....it'll be my 29th bday, and I tell you what, I won't go into my thirties with all of this extra baggage!!!! It's not going to happen. No more excuses, no more letting myself slide....no more eating without thinking....it's just laziness on my part, and it has to quit!!! It WILL take work, it WILL take effort, but I NEED and WANT it!!! Therefore it WILL happen!!! Chach...you have a deal...on you mark, get set , go.....because we're now racing to ONEDERLAND!!!! I have 14 to go, and you have 37, and we WILL do it!!!
Michelle
Old 04-26-2004, 07:39 PM   #152  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Michelle........alright, first hurdle in this race coming up--mindless eating tonight. I've done good so far today, only eating 12 points so far! Thank you, Healthy Choice gods that make a filling and tasty soup for only 2 points!!

I knew that would get you motivated. Happy Early Birthday! My birthday present to myself is going to be 50 pounds gone! 205 by my bday in November. (Realistic goal is 30 gone!)

Get on that treadmill and walk it all off! Glad to see you are ready. Here we go...racers take your mark!

Chach
Old 04-26-2004, 09:17 PM   #153  

okay...goal #1....is back to counting pts and journaling tomorrow!!! That's a biggie for me!!!
goal#2 water, water, water....bought pop for the house this weekend, knew I shouldn't have....can't ever buy it for everyone else and not drink it.
goal #3....I had softball practice for about an hour tonight, and then again on Friday, so somewhere in between I want to walk on the treadmill for ATLEAST a half hour two days.
Goal #4....me me me...it's all about me....what goes into the mouth is up to me, how much I move is up to me, and staying upbeat and motivated is up to me!!!!

Yak at y'all tomorrow,
Michelle

ps....coming here once a day...goal #5!!!!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:30 PM   #154  
Christine

Hi..You really sound like a great bunch. Thanks for all the welcomes. I had a good day. Stayed within points, drank more than enough water (it has been a chore making myself drink water) and I even got a little exercise in, 15 minutes of a basic tae-bo tape and a little jumproping (don't ask!) I am going to set a mini goal for myself , not to eat after 7-ish. I would like to be down 30 pounds by my 30 th brthday this August. Thank for the support. I am in last two weeks of school...working hard, but will touch base when I can , after that I'll be here more often. One of my friends is thinking about joining WW, too which I think may help me stay on plan.. (but it is up to me in the end) Also, I have my points books from last run on WW (dated january 2003) does anyone know if they are still current..from winning points? Thanks so much!

Christine
mini goal : 139 by 8/12/04
Old 04-26-2004, 10:42 PM   #155  

wow ladies I have been MIA so long you probably don't even remember me! I am at 153.5this morning which is a 24lb loss and it 17lbs of it has been since I started WW!!
Old 04-27-2004, 06:57 AM   #156  

Red face Finally able to be on this forum after two days!

Welcome Christine!
So glad to see posts from just about everyone.
I couldn't use this forum for a few days and was really bummed out, but now it's back! I hope it stays that way. I couldn't see posts from you guys for two days.
I "blew it" on Sunday afternoon, even went for the bag of chocolate chips and grabbed a few handfuls. I began anew yesterday, though.
Today, is my WW meeting and I get weighed. Will report later on how I did, not feeling awfully good about it. I can't take the numbers on my own scale as truth, so I will go in there and "hold my breath" today.
I've been doing tons of yard work, working out and I feel stronger and I feel thinner, but who knows?
As far as having a friend who is out of control.... the decision has to be theirs or it won't work. Sometimes it takes a health scare of some kind, sometimes this never happens.
My husband, for example, smokes and I wish he wouldn't. I knew this when I married him almost 20 years ago and he still smokes. I've tried nagging, which only makes him mad at me. I've tried subtle hints. The kids ask and plead. I've bought him patches, yet the box remains unopened. I won't allow him to smoke in the house or in my car, so even in -12 temperatures this winter, he was outside - needing a cigarette that badly.
One day, either he will stop on his own or he will die from it. In the meantime, I pray.
Hope that is a good example? Set a good example, try to serve healthy foods (can't believe this woman went out to buy her own stuff and came back!) and pray.
I'll report after my ww meeting later!
Linda in NH, trying very hard and not perfect
Old 04-27-2004, 07:26 AM   #157  

Howdy! It's nice to see the board up and running again!

Yesterday was a good OP day. Today will be even better. Sunday and Saturday were a complete bust-- all my good work down the tubes. Weekends are definitely my struggle.

I've got DH doing WW with me . . . we're going to support each other in this, which is nice. He's doing better-- actually, his biggest complication after his surgery are his pain medications-- when he takes them, they make him sick. He's better off dealing with the pain rather than feeling yucky.

Exercise, sadly enough, has not been a priority. I still have not put away the scale. By the end of the week, I'm hoping to have done both those things (put away the scale, and exercised at least once).

Have a good day!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:46 AM   #158  

Okay...it's a brand new day, and so far, so good!!!

Got off of here last night and went and did 30 minutes on the treadmill in the garage....figured the fact that it's not inside yet, is just another excuse.....so flipped on the tv out there and went to town. Actually it was kind of nice alone time!!! I'm really stiff today....don't think it's from the walking....it's from softball practice last night, I'm sure. Stinks to be this out of shape and think you can do the things you used to be able to do so well.....working on that though.
Picked up Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight loss Solution book, and started reading it last night in bed, trying to really soak it in this time. He makes alot of really good points....mostly that this isn't all about food!!!! After watching the episode on yesterday, and hearing how much some of them had lost, I had a tinge of guilt since I had started around the same time they did, and didn't stick to it....and now they're reaping the rewards! But that's all part changing my way of thinking!!! If I think I'm just going to fail again, I will....so it's positive, positive, positive!!!!!
Well going to go and eat two pieces of my 1pt toast, and a cup of mixed fresh fruit.....chalk it up to a two pt breakfast and get on with the day!!! Check back in later!
Old 04-27-2004, 10:07 AM   #159  

Default Tuesday check in.

Good Morning.

Got my 2 mile walks in today. Last night was one of those nights. UGH! Had all my points plus my activity points and then had some more points. Nothing satisfied me last night. If it wasn't nailed down I put it in my mouth. AND CHEWED IT AND SWALLOWED IT. Scale is up today of course. Well that is behind me.

Michelle I watched Dr. Phil yesterday too. Boy they all look great. Thomas looks the best.

Heather glad to hear hubby is feeling good. I know the meds can make you really feel sick. It's sometimes is best to deal with the pain.

Linda my husband smoked 2 packs a day for years. Stopped the day before he had bypass surgery 12 years ago. Sometimes that is what it takes. I never complained although the smoke bothered me because I out ate him 3 times over and couldn't control it. So we all have things we won't change until we are ready.

Hey Sunshine. Good Going! Keep stopping back in. We all need each other.

Christine the points book is a little different. Now you get a certain point for the day. Let's say 24 instead of between 22 and 27. Basically it is really no different in the long run. I am still using the winning points method and not the flex points method. If someone here can explain the new system to Christine please do. I stopped going to the meetings the first week flex points came out. Thanks.

Ok my friends. Off to clean the house. See you later.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:36 AM   #160  

Thumbs up WW meeting report

Well, the ww meeting went ok. I was hoping for a bigger loss, as this was my first week back, but any loss is a good loss! I found out that I did misread last week's weight (I think I was just so bummed out having to be back sitting in THOSE chairs again) and I weighed less than I though I did, at least!
So, last week, I reported that I weighed 164.8 and what I really weighed was 162.4, I had GAINED 4.8 since the last time I was there, almost a year ago.
Today's weight was 160.6, so according to their scales I lost 1.8 this week.
Not the best anyone has done, and I kind of felt deflated as so many people on the first week of ww lose so much more. I worked SO hard and kind of thought with the amount of work I put in that I should have had at least a 3 pound loss. Gosh, there were a few people there with 6 and 7 pound losses. What the heck did they do, have rocks in their pockets last week????
Well, as they say, nothing good in life ever comes easy. You get what you put into something.
So, I will continue to forge on.

Now, as far as my week with the challenge is concerned. I failed to eat one point less than my range as I am totally confused with the new flex points and how that would work for me. The best I can do will be to try to not use all my flex points for a particular week, I think. My old range would have been 25 points a day, and the new program has me at 22 points a day, but I can "flex" bunches of them.
I then consider myself a success as I ended the week with 12 flexpoints unused, and still ate out and had birthday cake.
I worked out every day, so I exceeded our challenge with regard to that. I drank at least my "required" water, and then some - I happen to like water and it's my main beverage. I checked in every day, until I couldn't get on this board.
So, overall, I was a success this week. I don't know if I'll make a 10 pound loss by Memorial Day, but I might come close.

Heather, you're doing ok, hang in there and try at least 10 minutes of exercise - I know it's a wild time, but give it a shot. You'll feel better and more in control. 10 minutes isn't much, and it will make you more energetic to face trying times.

Michelle, Dr. Phil does have some good points. I took his book out of the library but renewed it once and had to bring it back. I read some of it but not all of it. I found it had way, way, too many questionnaires with scores for my liking. Just me though.
I think you can get the entire point of his book in the first two chapters???

Dottie, I think I can explain the flex point system. Was it Christine that wanted to know more about it? At any rate....

First, with this new program, they reduce the number of points you get a day (was VERY distressing to me at first) but then they give you an allotment of points for the week. You are never to eat under the point target, but you may take from the bank of flexpoints. You get, I think (would have to look) 35 points each week. You can divide them evenly and take 5 extra points a day for 7 days or save them and use them for the splurges, which I did this week.
So, I had a piece of 15 point birthday cake one night and I had dinner out one night. The dinner out was about 12 points, I think? But, I journalled and figured it out. Usually, with the old program, when I ate out or splurged, I'd put a big X through that page on my journal and write it off with "blew it" across the page and start again the next day. I didn't do that this week, I kept hanging in there with the point and borrowed from my flexpoint bank. I used most of my flex points that I used for the week on those two occasions. I ended the week with 12 leftover. I felt good that I still had 12 point leftover.
Hope that makes sense.
The journal is different now as well. After working with it a week, the jury is still "out" for me on it. I ran out of space and the lines you write on are really thin, making it hard to write and hard to read. Yet, I like the "checkbook" style of it as you enter in deposits (your points for the day) and extra deposits for exercise and make "withdrawals" as you eat. Really keeps you on target much more this way as that diminishing total of points is "in your face" if you do journal.
Journaling, for me, is the true way to get to goal. If I don't journal I am not true to myself.
Have a great afternoon!
Linda in NH
Old 04-27-2004, 01:43 PM   #161  

Smile Rambling thoughts. :-)

I've been thinking about how I can make this journey "work" for me . . . and I've come to this point . . . I think the most important thing is that we are gentle with ourselves.

I struggle with this a lot. I think I'm kinder to others than I ever am to myself. If I spoke to my friends (or even strangers!) the way I talk to myself, I'd be beaten up on a daily basis!!!

I thought that after I lost a lot of weight, I'd be happy with myself and then would love myself. Never happened. Then I had hanging skin, and wasn't small enough . . . and I hated that about me. And I gained 30 lbs, and I continue the self-loathing. I continue hurling insults at me, and disregarding my needs, while I try to meet what everyone else needs/ wants from me. And of course I can't really love anyone fully if I can't love myself. A vicious cycle.

Today I took a good long look at myself in the mirror, and forced myself to think of the "good" things my body can do. How it's more flexible; more able to move freely; that it's sturdy. Today, as I've been eating, I've been focusing on how my food is "fuel" for my body, rather than something for my head. That I need to take care of that body so it continues to do the things I need it to. It's a different way to look at things. It sort of feels good, but mostly it feels awkward. Isn't that a shame? It's odd to say "nice" things to myself!

I didn't get to WW last week due to DH's surgery and health stuff. I keep putting it off for one reason or the other (cost-- which is a real concern; DH and his needs, which is no longer an issue-- I can leave the house for a couple of hours; fear of what the leader will think when she sees I've gained 5 lbs since Feb.-- who cares? I don't have to please HER. I'm in this for ME!). If I don't go to WW by Saturday, please feel free to slap me silly. ;-) I need it for my own sake. It's the kindest thing I can do for myself, and I need to be kind to me.

I'm also going to try to avoid focusing on "losses" and "gains", because the scale monster affects me greatly. I'm instead going to try to focus on how I feel. We'll see how that goes. I *AM* putting the scale under the bed in my stepkids' room this afternoon. I will report on that tomorrow (or maybe tonight, if I'm feeling weak and like taking it out). Oh, I am such a scale junkie! But I know I use the scale as both justification to overeat, as well as a bat to hit myself over the head with.

I was talking with DH about our gastric bypass surgery support group-- he wants to be dropped off there this evening while I'm in my nutrition class (he wouldn't have to walk there at all, and it's only an hour and a chance to get out of the house/ have a change of scenery in a hospital environment-- so it's safe!), and I realized I don't really think of myself as a bypass patient any more. I'm more a "normal" person with a weight problem. Granted, I was a "normal" person with a weight problem before (albeit a far, FAR larger "weight problem"). . . but after bypass, one is "indoctrinated" into the bypass patient culture as "needing the surgery", and not being able to do without it, and while in some ways it's true (I would argue that I needed the surgery because I'd probably be over 400 lbs now without it), it also leads for some feelings of loss of control. That was the problem I had with OA-- I DO have control over what I put into my body!!! I don't feel like these 30 lbs are outside of my grasp because I can't "operate" them away. I don't feel like the regain/ "bounce-back" weight is just a part of the surgery experience (I think people who believe that are just in denial over their role in poor food choices, etc.). I think I, like anyone else with a weight problem, just lost my vigilance and overendulged. And now it's time for the HARD work to begin.

Anyway, I was just musing. I had best end my lunch break and head back to work. Yahoo!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 08:57 PM   #162  

Hey, girls - I'm back. I was home sickly yesterday and though I didn't go over points I sure hit the comfort food, not to mention no exercise. I swear, skipping one day makes it soooo hard to get back in the groove. I'm pleased that I even got on the treadmill when I got home from work, though I should have lifted weights too. My treadmill routine is only 20 minutes, but it's a killer - it's a routine I learned when I was trying out "Body for Life."

Chach - I'm a little behind on the challenge, exercise-wise, I think. Have been doing well on the water. I have a huge plastic glass that I got in Las Vegas at the Mirage (no, I didn't have a cocktail in it - I bought it empty.) Filling it twice takes care of my water for the day. Though I haven't shaved points every day, I'm still not counting any exercise points and not using my extra points either.

I agree with Dotti - you can't talk to your friend until she's ready - and don't be surprised if she ignores your weight loss - or tries to sabotage you, or even stops seeing you - remember if she does any of those that she's acting out of her pain.

Michelle - HEY! Do we all need to come to your place and KICK SOME BUTT?? Pick something you're going to focus on each day - water, points, or exercise and by the end of a week you'll be back OP and in the groove.

Only lost 1 pound Saturday at weigh-in. I think it's because I've been eating too many Soy Chips - you can eat 25 of the suckers for 2 points!! Good for you soy, but very salty. So I'm trying to cut them out this week - definitely not having any from Wednesday on to make sure I'm not retaining any water.

I'm menopausal and take hormones - so I can never blame TOM anymore - but weirdly, this weekend I was spotting (which I'm definitely NOT supposed to do) so maybe my hormones were doing something strange - and maybe if I really push the water and exercise I can drop more than a pound!! I'm going for it!!!

Take care, and welcome, Christine! You've got some highly motivated ladies on this board!!
Cris
Old 04-27-2004, 11:31 PM   #163  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi Ladies!

I posted a response from work, but I guess it got lost in the "mail". Grr...

I'll try to remember what I posted, but I wouldn't count on it for sure!

Heather: Yours was the post that struck a chord with me. I am at that same place with the scales. Hate/love relationship. I know I need to stop obsessing about them, but just continue to do it! Why do we put our own validation on those things? Plus, I am the same way about not looking at the good we have done. I'm down almost 50 pounds from my highest. That should count for something, right? Instead I am stressing out over the gain that I will probably show tomorrow. I was exercising my butt this last week and I know that is going to show up on the scales eventually. I've gone 9 weeks without a gain, steady loss all that time, and now I freak out about one week being not so good? Gosh, what a numbskull!

Dotti: Thanks for the advice on the friend. I am just going to keep on going about my own business and wait to see if she approaches me ever. I know she will do something when it really impairs her life. At that point I will be a friendly encouraging ear! Good job on your exercise. (I ate everything that wasn't nailed down also this last weekend.)

Linda: Great job on the loss. Any loss is a good one, no matter what the number is. I lost only 0.6 my first week back on WW. Remember those days when we were younger and were able to lose 10 pounds the first week of any diet? Yeah, like that is going to happen.

Cris: You know, I was thinking about what you said about my friend and her sabotauging me. That has been happening for about a month. I have overcome it and just kept quiet. I hadn't thought about what you said about her being in pain. Another friend mentioned she felt she was jealous of me losing and that she hasn't done it yet. Whatever the reason, I love her to death and she will continue to be my friend! My concern is noted in my head and I'll move forward!

Well, weigh in tomorrow. My best guestimate puts me about 3-4 pounds up. Funny thing, though, all my clothes are beginning to get looser. These are the clothes I haven't worn in about 10 years. Yeah, they are still okay for style since they are mostly work sweaters and pants. I need to suck it up, deal with my body changing and trying to adjust to it's new self! Dangit, I've done good these last 9 weeks and plan on keeping on track. If I am up, then I face it, move on, and keep up with my exercise. It will start to drop off soon!

Wish me luck!

Chach
Old 04-28-2004, 08:21 AM   #164  

Chachee-- those 50 lbs DEFINITELY count for something! I think also your dedication to the program and your weight loss, despite facing a potential gain, though, is what counts the most. Please realize that your gain is most definitely muscle, esp. if your clothing is looser, and in the long run the extra muscle will boost your metabolism and you will burn calories/ lose weight more efficiently.

Well, the scale is put away. Putting it away also is going to be a benefit for my husband, who discovered before I put it away that after his surgery (where they removed 11.5 lbs from his body), he has gained 8 lbs from his pre-surgery weight. Yes, it's all fluid retention, and he knows that (he's been eating healthier post-op, and is actually following WW points program with me), but he was so depressed about it. That scale is not our friend. :-( I realize it more when I see my normally self-assured husband complaining about how "fat" he feels. <sigh> We are hoping that when he sees his MD on Thursday, he'll prescribe diuretics for the short-term, because the bloating really is making DH miserable.

I woke up this morning and wanted to weigh myself first thing. I figured I probably lost weight, as I've been following my points program, but I didn't let myself drag the thing out. I'm going to wait until I go to WW on Saturday morning, and will see the damage there. My guess is that I'll still have gained from my weigh-in at the end of February, but that's ok. This is going to be a new experience all around.

Today it is going to be 84 degrees outside. I am going walking today. :-) They're saying the weather tomorrow is going to drop back into the 60's, so I might as well enjoy it now!

Hope everyone here has a good day!
Old 04-28-2004, 08:45 AM   #165  

Lightbulb Wednesday morning update

Ah, Heather, you should have been at the ww meeting I went to yesterday. The leader said almost exactly what you said about loving yourself. You are who you are, not matter how much you weigh. We all have to work on liking ourselves and putting our needs in the forefront at times. I know I am a "people pleaser" I do everything for people in my family, and others. I have a hard time saying no. Often my own interests and personal needs are put in the background. I beat myself up for how I look and feel and how I've let myself go, but I have to take responsibility.
Lately, though, I love and take care of my family, but I put my exercise and diet needs on the front burner. We all need to do that. If I become very unhealthy, as I continue to gain weight AND get more and more depressed about it, I will be no good to my family or the other things/people/organizations that are dependant on me. No matter how busy you are, you need to take the time to put your own needs first.

We each need to take a self assessment and write down on paper something like 5 things that are good about US. I challenge you all to think about that (me included) and report back to this group in the next day or two.

Chach, Cris was right when she said "I agree with Dotti - you can't talk to your friend until she's ready - and don't be surprised if she ignores your weight loss - or tries to sabotage you, or even stops seeing you - remember if she does any of those that she's acting out of her pain."

It wouldn't surprise me, either, if she stops seeing you for awhile. Have you ever invited her to join you for a ww meeting? I wonder what her reaction might be to that? We all are in a certain "place" with our interests in losing weight. This group seems to all be in the same basic place right now, but this girl just isn't, she may never be.

But, this place we are in is a good place, a healthy place, and we are supporting each other. I hope this happens for your friend, but it may never. In the meantime, concentrate on setting the example for her.
Cris, I'm menopausal as well. I don't know if you read my remarks last week or not. I have been on a low dose birth control pill for about 1 1/2 years after trying various hormone replacement therapies. The BC pill does make you put on weight and can increase risks of breast cancer (and I am at high risk due to three family members having it, on both sides). I made a huge life changing decision last week to go off the BC pills and try some "all natural" menopausal therapy. I'm "cold turkey" right now and I'm scared as I know it's going to be hot weather and chances are those horrible hot flashes will be back full force. But, I am going to try to tough it out using herbs, vitamins, exercise and losing the excess weight that might be contributing to the symptoms being worse?
I am going to lick this thing, the pioneer women never had HRT, they just put up with things. I'm tough and I can too! I want to get my weight down and decrease my cancer risks and feel good, and wear the clothes I haven't been able to wear in ages! If you are spotting, Cris, and that shouldn't be happening, and it continues, call your doctor please! We want you healthy and on this board for a long time to share your success with us!

Chach, you go girl! So good to hear you report about those clothes getting looser and that you've not worn some of them in about 10 years. I've got a pair of jeans that are a size 8 that have no elastic at the waste that I'm dying to wear again. It's been probably 6 years since I've worn pants without elastic in them comfortably. I don't care if they are in style or not, quite honestly. I just want them to pull up over my hips and to zip and button and not feel as if I am bursting out of them and can't breath. If that happens, I am a total success!
I'll get there, and I am depending on all of you to help me get there!
Linda in NH, trying hard and doing her best
Closed Thread