Old 11-29-2015, 09:33 PM   #1  
Less of a Better Me

Default Weight Watchers Beyond the Scale Program

Weight Watchers new program is coming out 12/6. There is some general stuff on the Australia WW page. Also, if you change your computer date to the first weigh in date for you after 12/6 you can see info about the new program and go through the assessment and play with the calculator. Don't know how long people will be able to do it. I posted a longer thing about it on my blog, but here are the high points.

Called Beyond the Scale. 3 parts. SmartPoints (for food), FitPoints (seem to be the same as Activity Points), and feel (trying to help people be happier so they do healthier things). You go through an assessment to get your daily and weekly points.

I was at 26 daily (minimum) and everyone had 49 weekly points. Now I'm at 30 daily and 28 weekly. That is a net increase of 1 point per day when considered together.

I am not sure but I think that 30 may be the new minimum.

You are also going to get a goal for earning FitPoints each week (I don't have one so I don't think it is on the website yet).

However note that the point calculation for some foods is wildly different. A few foods went down, mostly foods that are high protein and low fat. For example, for a 180 calorie chicken breast it went from 5 PointsPlus to 3 SmartPoints. For a fish fillet (Gorton's) it went from 3 to 2.

Some foods didn't change. For example, the pistachios I eat every day are still 5 points. Some snacks I eat are the same.

I would say that most restaurant foods that aren't super high in saturated fat or sugar have gone up 1 or 2 points.

On the other hand, foods that are high in sat. fat or sugar really got hammered.

For example, nonfat chocolate frozen yogurt from Tutti Fruitti (120 calories) was 3 PointsPlus (40 calories a point). It is 6 SmartPoints (20 calories a point).

So the chicken breast that is 3 SmartPoints for 180 calories is basically 60 calories a point. But something high sugar like the frozen yogurt is 20 calories a point.

The Cinnamon Crunch Bagel from Panera was 11 PointsPlus. It is 17 SmartPoints. Not going to eat many of those.

Anyway, I really like this. They are really encouraging you not to eat high sugar food or foods with lots of saturated fat.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #2  

Default Koshka

Thanks for posting that info!!!
Deb C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 416 / 363.4 / 250

Height: 5'9"

Very interesting, thank you! I'm not too worried about the changes, but I know a LOT of people are. Hopefully people will be able to go with the flow and adjust to the new system.
MaeCrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:53 AM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

I've done some more posts about the new program. I honestly think it will be awesome. BTW, SmartPoints are going to be based upon calories, saturated fat, sugar and protein. Basically the more sat. fat and sugar the higher the points. I am really excited about trying the new program.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #5  

When I click on the link for your blog, I'm getting a database error.
Mattie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #6  
Less of a Better Me

Try again now. My host was having problems with MySQL and so a bunch of their websites were down. It is fixed now (really annoying to have them happening when lots of people are wanting to find out more about the program).
Old 12-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #7  

Thanks for posting this information, I've been dying of curiosity!
I note that my iPhone update has changed some stuff and I have been worried that my fit point exercise point I have earned may not count anymore. I wonder if have to do other forms of exercise now in order to achieve activity points?
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #8  
Less of a Better Me

As far as I can tell it is the same exercise. I am not sure though yet if you earn the same number of activity points (now called FitPoints).
Old 12-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #9  

From what I gather, though, the points values of certain foods (sugar and fat) have gone up as well. So, you need to really think about what you want and if it's worth it.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #10  
Less of a Better Me

Food high in saturated fat and food high in sugar have gone up. Food higher in healthy fat is either unchanged or gone up a minor amount. A lot of foods with saturated fat have protein in them (think beef) so the protein mitigates the fat a bit. The real problem foods are those really high in sugar. A 20 ounce Coke is 22 SmartPoints. A non-fat frozen yogurt I ate last month was 3 PointsPlus and is now 6 SmartPoints.

On the other hand, chicken breast or turkey with no skin and fish is generally lower in points value. A high protein Chocolate Brownie Quest bar was 5 PointsPlus and is now 4.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #11  

I think we will find more weightloss, due to the awareness of less sugar.. the old versions of ww allowed lots of cakes and things at moderation.. but that allowed us to eat cake for breakfast lunch and dinner.. i think this new plan will help with more weightloss.. going back to weightwatchers myself.. long testimony of my struggle
readytolose40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:10 AM   #12  

We shall see. I look forward to my meeting on Friday. In the meantime, I am already watching sugar a bit more. I love candy... I have a hard time going a day without my "fix" after lunch each day.
I also am drinking my tea without sugar these last few weeks, I miss it very much. I think the sugar enhances the tea flavor so much. I have tried Stevia in the Raw (o calorie and points) sweetener and it's not too bad. I hate artificial sweeteners for the most part as they leave an aftertaste and seem to always taste terrible to me.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #13  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Height: 5'8"

Very smart and know we will see better results and losses.
I was doing a low sugar high protein diet before rejoining Weight Watchers and had great results. Just got bored w limited food choices and support.
Thanks so much for this update. My weigh in date is not until Friday so guess I'll have to wait . (Online subscriber)
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:35 AM   #14  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

i rejoined again last night. spending today going over all the material and getting my plan together. figuring out what is replacing the higher sugar foods. this plan fits perfect into my life at this time. i am going to love the more personal meetings. less of scale numbers and loss/gain numbers. we aren't just numbers. figure we stand on a scale, yet we are afraid of what they might tell us.
have a great day ladies.
chipper15173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #15  

I wont begin this new plan until after my regular meeting on Friday.
Can one of you share a typical day's menu/food that is on program?
I'd like to see if I can mirror that for the next couple of days.