Old 08-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #1  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Thinking of rejoining WW

Hi everyone,

I'm back on 3FC after a few years, and having regained about 90lbs over the course of the last four years, over half of what I lost while on WW.

I'm thinking of rejoining, but before I go back, and deal with the (my self-imposed) shame of returning to a place where I was a poster child for success, I'd like to know if the plan has changed in the last couple of years at all. When I dropped off, WW had recently switched to the Points Plus program - which honestly, I was not that big a fan of. Have there been any changes/updates?

I also have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and with that and just wanting to eat well, I'm looking at focusing on macronutrients, eating 'real' food and avoiding processed food and refined carbohydrates.

For the last few years, I've calorie counted - and we see how well that's worked out.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #2  
will it ever stick??? lol

S/C/G: 283.6/236.8/155

Height: 5'6

I have to say this is my second time being on the new points plus program, last time I lost 30lbs and just stopped out of me being dumb lol and this time I really haven't worked out at all and im down 42lbs and honestly it would be more if I 1) worked out and 2) didn't struggle a few times and eat crap for a couple weeks straight each time.

also you have the option to go with the other program they offer where you clean eat and get only 7 pointsplus per day to use.

Pretty much what im saying is it still works, and I like it!
Amberkkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:35 AM   #3  
Less of a Better Me

Points Plus hasn't changed in any huge way. There is a bit more emphasis now that zero point fruit doesn't mean overeating fruit. It is still zero point, but it is talked about in the meetings not to over do it. Zero point doesn't mean zero calories.

WW says it is going to have some significant program changes at the end of this year. However, they are not saying what they are. I suspect from general comments it will be some customization and integrating fitness better.

Oh, one good change. You can now sync a Fitbit (and some other activity monitors) with WW to use that data to earn activity points.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #4  

Hello,

I am new to this forum, I just joined today. Sorry to post straight away but this thread caught my eye. I use the old (2005-2006) Weight Watchers Plan but I use the books at home and don't attend any meetings. I just follow the program at home because I wanted something that worked for me.

The PP plan did not work for me. I would be interested in hearing from those it does work for. I have so far lost 24kg/50lbs on this old plan, but probably need to think about mashing it up a little.

So any advice or tips would be great but very interested in hearing more about the OP's original question.
Krinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #5  
Less of a Better Me

Hi, Krinkles. Welcome. Actually Points Plus worked fine for me.

I originally joined WW about 25 years ago when it was an exchange program. I got to goal, gained a few pounds while out of town and decided not to go back until I was at goal weight again. Big mistake.

Several years ago under the "old" points system (this was about 2007 so around the time you are talking about) I went back to WW. I didn't have much success for a couple of years, but in August 2010 went back seriously.

I was following the old points program they had then in 2010 before Points Plus came out and it worked OK for me. I did feel that it was really a lowfat program since it seemed to demonize fat and the reducing points based solely on fiber seemed to favor eating carbs. So, it was a basically lowfat, high carb program.

In December, 2010 we switched to Points Plus. It was a big adjustment for me and at first I found it hard to do. I did like -- from the beginning -- using carbs and protein as well as fat and fiber to determine points. It was still a little bit fat phobic, but it also disadvantaged carbs that didn't have fiber in them. So, that was basically disfavoring the refined carbs more than whole grain carbs which seemed better to me.

I had no problems with the zero point fruits because I'm not a huge fruit eater. (My DH did have some problems and had to learn that he needed to watch his fruit servings).

Anyway, within a few months I adjusted to Points Plus and had a lot of success on it during 2011. I definitely lost more weight on Points Plus than I did under the old program.

Unfortunately, we moved in early 2012 and in the stress of finding a new house and moving I quit going to meetings (I'm a big fan of the accountability of meetings) and regained about 30 of the 45 pounds I had lost.

About this time in 2013 I went back and still followed Points Plus. I do actually also count calories using MyFitnessPal and I follow a lower carb diet. Not low carb exactly, but definitely lower than most people (about 100 carbs a day on average). Anyway, I got back to goal in July.

So, yes, for me Points Plus has been more successful than the old points program. By far more successful. I think it is a far better program since it is less fat phobic and tries to steer people away from refined carbs.

That said, I think the real virtue of WW is in the meetings and the accountability of the weigh in. I don't think any of their food programs are anything special. Simple calorie counting and paying attention to nutrition pretty much does the same thing.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:17 AM   #6  

Thank you for the welcome, Koshka. I actually agree with your last point. Simple calorie counting in vs calorie counting out is the basic science. I follow Jillian Michaels and read her stuff and listen to her podcasts and she says that it doesn't matter if it is WW or Calorie counting, it all amounts to the same. The trick is in what you choose to eat. While I do use the old points plan, the foods I choose tend to be whole foods, organic and as close to nature's intention as possible. I just use the points because it keeps me accountable for portion size etc. The funny thing is, calorie counting was daunting to me at first so I switched to points counting because I found it easier.

I am now about 5 months into my life changing journey and I am seriously thinking of ditching WW and using My Fitness Pal to count my calories but I found your comparison of the two plans at WW very interesting indeed.

I am glad PP works for you! I think it is a much better approach to food, personally, so it is encouraging to read success stories, no matter what plan I choose to go forward with.
Krinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I'm back in WW after a long hiatus, and attempting calorie counting off and on which I never stuck with. Then I'd try low carb and eat too many veggies and end up sick for a few days and then go back to my old habits.

I'm doing the online version and just really need to break my habit of stuffing my face every evening. I find the concept of points easier to handle than calories.

(This is my first post on 3FC in a long time. Curious what my weight stats will say in the sidebar.)
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:44 AM   #8  
Less of a Better Me

I think the primary reason WW does points instead of calorie counting is because it is easier to keep track of smaller numbers than bigger numbers.

I personally do double track both calories and Points Plus but it easier to keep track of points plus mentally than the calories.

But, the strength of WW for me is the meetings and the accountability of the weigh in and just keeping my head thinking about weight loss and my my goals.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:07 PM   #9  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for all the replies, and hey to all the other new/returning folks.

I rejoined last Monday, and will be attending Monday evening meetings. When I was on WW before, I'd attend on Friday mornings, but one of the things I noticed near the tail end of that tenure was I'd eat all my weeklies that weekend, and then limit myself to the extreme as the week went along. I'm hoping this time to spread my points out more throughout the week, and not go so crazy on the weekends, which is the time when I usually eat the most.

I'm following the PP+ plan, and just being judicious with the amount of fruit servings I consume.

Tonight will be my first weigh-in. Here's hoping it's a good one.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #10  
Less of a Better Me

Hope it all went well.