Old 01-31-2015, 12:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/ticker/118

Height: 5'5"

Default How much can I expect to lose?

So I've been doing WW since Jan 5 and I'm down almost 10 pounds. I'd really like to lose 43 more pounds to be at goal by my birthday late August. This is averaging 1.5 pounds a week. Can you guys share your average losses per week so I can set a realistic goal?

Thanks!
candykisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 199/166/135

Height: 5"1

I've been doing WW for eleven weeks and have lost 8.5kg (18.7lbs) so that means my average loss is about 0.7kg (1.5lbs) a week.

However, I had some big losses in the first month and my average loss now I'm three months in is more like 0.5kg (1.1lbs) now.

I have about the same amount of weight to lose and I've accepted it'll probably take me a year from start to finish to get to goal.
flickety_switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:18 AM   #3  
Loving Simply Filling

S/C/G: 195/161.4/164

Height: 5'8"

Everyone is so different. I lose 1-2 lbs a week but it helps that I am very active. I do eat all my weeklies. Some people lose less and do not eat WPs. I say your goal is reasonable, just work hard to stick to the program and move more.
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 354/307/200

Height: 5'3

I joined ww july 18th, 2014 and have lost 37lbs. On average, I've been losing about 1.4lb a week. This includes 4-5 days of walking , about 30 min walks.
bperezlavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/190/150

I re-joined around Halloween and have lost 18 pounds so far. I'm averaging appx 1 pound per week, but sometimes it's slightly more or less. I never use my weekly points and I never exercise (although I've definitely found that I lose more on weeks that I walk a lot!). As it was mentioned, more weight comes off in the beginning (water weight?). After a few more weeks/weigh-ins you'll get a better idea of your body's natural average weight loss per week. Good luck!
Suz151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I lose around 1 lb a week average. Some weeks are more, some are less. I've been working out 5 days a week. Doing some resistance training for about 40 minute on Mon/Wed/Fri, and then 40 minutes of cardio on Tues/Thur.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 PM   #7  
Less of a Better Me

Average loss depends a lot on how much you weigh (easier to lose more the more you have to lose), how tall you are, how old you are, etc. A year ago I lost an average of about .8 pounds a week, but I'm fairly short and I'm 60 years old. Right now I've been averaging .2 pounds a week but I weigh about 30 pounds less than I weighed a year ago so it is harder to lose weight.

Over the entire time of weight loss I averaged about half a pound a week. But, some people do average more.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #8  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

I've been losing 1.8lbs a week, but I'm also pretty active.

This totally depends on how YOUR body and metabolism work, though.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I'm super short and I lost 41lbs in about 5 months.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #10  
Less of a Better Me

Another factor is age. And, body fat percentage. I still have a high body fat percentage, I'm 60 and I'm short. In January I exercised 18 out of 31 days at moderate to intense levels of exercise (I wore a heart rate monitor so could test this). I lose about 1.2 pounds (I lost .6 at weigh ins but didn't weigh in the last week but on my scale I lost .6).

When I was younger I lost weight much faster.

THe other thing is that it can be really hard to cut enough calories as you get close to goal weight. Even with exercising 18 days during January my Fitbit tells me I burned only about 1533 calories a day on average. I don't like to cut my average calories eaten to below 1200. So, at best, even if I'm perfect at recording food (and every restaurant nutrition count is right and every nutrition label is right), and I burn exactly what Fitbit says I do (I don't actually since my BMR is likely lower than Fitbit's estimate) I wouldn't lose more than about 3 pounds in a month.

On the other hand, in January 2014 with similar activity levels I burned 1786 calories a day on average (per Fitbit). It wasn't that I was so much more active in January 2014. It was that I weighed 30 pounds in January 2014 than I did in January 2015 (a good thing!). But, in January 2014 I could eat 1200 calories a day and still have a deficit of over 500 calories a day which I can't do right now.

I mentioned Fitbit calorie burn not being totally accurate. Fitbit bases estimated calorie burn on a BMR based upon age, height, gender and weight. But, it is really more accurate to consider body fat percentage. If I use a BMR calculator that takes body fat into consideration (my body fat is about 40% according to my scale at home - not totally accurate but it is something), my BMR is less than what Fitbit says. So I really don't have an average deficit each day of 345. It is probably closer to 250 a day.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 219/ticker/118

Default Thanks!

Thank you for all the replies. I am down 6 more pounds since I posted here. So I've lost my first 15lbs! My averages seem to be 1.8lbs a week but I have not really been trying some weeks. (I.e. Going over my weekly points, not working out often enough) so I'm sure I could boost those losses by tracking religiously and not going over my weekly allowed points. I'm down to 27 daily points which surprises me since I'm still 37 pounds from goal.
candykisses is offline   Reply With Quote