Old 12-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/190/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Sandwiches

Hi everyone, me again! Sorry for all the posts, I'm still trying to figure out better/healthier ways to eat my favorites foods.

I want to find the best ways to make a sandwich on WW. My go-to was always white bread, ham, salami, pepperoni, and buffalo cheddar cheese.. mmm spicy! This is all way too many points now, so I want to figure out something new. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of turkey or chicken on a sandwich (I just find them kinda dry) so that eliminates a lot of the things I've found online. What do you all make?
Suz151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I don't really do sandwiches often, and when I do it's usually turkey.. so that doesn't help you. What I've taken to doing now is actually making a salad out of what I'd normally put on the sandwich. The bread is usually the bulk of my sandwich points anyway (I like sub sandwich type bread) and that gets rid of the bread.

Have you looked into maybe doing whole wheat pita bread? I know turkey pepperoni gets you quite a bit for little points because I use it for some of my pizza recipes.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Do you have access to a microwave for lunch? How about soup instead of sandwiches? If you like spicy, you can try this spicy blue cheese tomato soup or this buffalo chicken soup.

If you really love the sandwiches, maybe only have half a sandwich and pair with soup or salad. To be honest I can't remember the last time I had a sandwich at lunch, but I used to eat them all the time too! Now I just cook up a big batch of soup or stew, and freeze portions for when I need it.

Edit: Sorry, just realized this is in the WW forum. I'm not sure how points work so those soups may or may not be good options for you. But the general idea applies

Last edited by nonameslob; 12-02-2014 at 03:54 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #4  

Soup is usually fine, depending on which ones you eat. I've recently discovered the WW pita bread and WW pocket bread thingys for my bread products (homemade pizzas, quesadillas, etc). I do like the idea of putting sandwich items in a salad though!

I'm not completely against turkey, I enjoy the flavor, I just usually find it to be sort of dry. Maybe I can find a way to fix that. In regards to chicken, I love it... but I eat it so much now with WW that I don't want to put it on sandwiches too haha.

Thank you for your input. I'm not very creative when it comes to food, that's why I keep coming here to ask all of you because I'm sure you've all thought of things I won't. I always appreciate the suggestions and have them saved to try
Old 12-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

I still eat sandwiches.

I use two slices of whole grain bread, two tablespoons of mayonnaise, and 100g of chicken breast fillets (they cook up really fast from frozen; I get them in a big frozen bag from Costco). I spread the mayonnaise on the bread then salt and pepper both sides. The chicken is not dry if you use mayo. Aioli works well, too.

The whole thing works out to exactly 400 calories (with 14.5 grams of fat, for you WW people ). Not too bad in my books - kind of like having a slice of pizza, but more filling. Sometimes I add alfalfa sprouts because I like them, and no matter how many I add, it's not enough to warrant counting the calories.

Not sure how many points that is with the new counting system (WW seems to introduce a new counting system every 5-10 years, probably to avoid everyone using their diet without paying for meetings). But surely it's about equivalent to one average meal.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #6  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

I basically just put my sandwich on a salad instead of bread now. That saves 4+ pp for me.

Hormel has a good turkey pepperoni.
I really don't like "fake" cheese so I still use the real stuff, just sparingly - or not at all. I've found that I put so much other crap on my sandwich/salad that I actually don't miss the taste of it there.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMuchFattitude View Post
I really don't like "fake" cheese so I still use the real stuff, just sparingly - or not at all.
Aged cheeses are great because you get all the flavour without having to use as much. Not just aged cheddars, but also parmesan and similar cheeses. Yum!

Last edited by faiora; 12-03-2014 at 12:14 PM.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #8  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I can't eat bread so I use lettuce instead. Kind of like the Jimmy John's unwich.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Suz, why don't you browse the sandwiches on skinnytaste? She has some ideas that you may not have thought of yet.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 199/166/135

Height: 5"1

I love a sandwich but I've just had to modify mine a bit. My go-to is a BLT with multi-grain bread, Weight Watchers bacon and Philadelphia Light spreadable. Delicious, filling and only eight points!
flickety_switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #11  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

If you like the hot wing type of thing. Skinless chicken breast, slice it into fajita type slices, cook, toss in some wing sauce, and then dust with wing powder. 2 slices of Sara Lee 45 cal bread toasted, and some light or fat free ranch. It's yummy!

Our local Walmart offers a light version of pastrami, some kraut, I skip the swiss cheese, grill, and dip in ff Thousand Island dressing.

The Monte Cristo sandwich, again the Sara Lee 45 cal bread, a light dip in egg beater, a lean ham, ff cream cheese, some strawberry slices, and dip in sugar free syrup!

Sara Lee 45 bread, sugar free strawberry jam, and some ff cream cheese!

Sandwiches are the bomb, you just need to look at it in a different light and experiment!

I could go on and on with sandwich ideas!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #12  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

One other thing about the sandwich, if you are packing it, I have found, it's sometimes better to pack the ingredients, separately, and put it together, when you are ready to eat it. Otherwise it can get a bit soggy.

Last edited by shcirerf; 12-08-2014 at 11:02 PM.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #13  

Hi again! In the months since I've posted this, I've NAILED my sandwiches!! I make these massive, filling sandwiches for only 5 points plus!! Unfortunately, when it comes to the meats, there isn't much variety... but I switch up what I put with it. Also, I found a turkey that I actually like

My favorite is this: Pepperidge Farm Light Style Soft Wheat bread (1 pp per slice), 2 ounces of Dietz & Watson Gourmet Lite Ham (1 pp per 2 ounces), 2 ounces of Dietz & Watson Maple and Honey Turkey (1 pp per 2 ounces), and 2 slices of Borden Fat Free American Cheese (1 pp per 2 slices).

That's 5 points plus in total... BUT, then I get creative! I add any variation of zero-point items: pepperoncini, 4 slices of Hormel Turkey Pepperoni (4 slices is ZERO!), fire roasted peppers, lettuce, hot sauce, fat free Italian dressing, onions, pickles, banana peppers, etc. Every day the sandwich tastes different, yet it's always the same points. Hooray!

Thank you so much to everyone for your suggestions. I will be incorporating those as well (especially the hot wing sandwich you mentioned, shcirerf!).

I'm a sandwich junkie... I feel like I should join a support group :P