Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #1  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Default WW and Pregnancy

Has anyone here stayed on WW while pregnant?

DH and I are TTC. I'm on fertility drugs, too. My OBGYN has no problems with me staying on WW while pregnant. He thinks it's a good plan, and as long as I'm not doing anything crazy (like not eating all my points) it's perfectly safe. It's well balanced diet full of healthy fats, fruits, veggies and all the other good stuff. I'd never starve myself, staying OP would help keep me accountable and responsible for my weight while pregnant. WW used to let women stay on while pregnant, but within the last few years changed that.

Any thoughts?
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

So, I didn't do weight watchers while I was pregnant, but I did inadvertently diet while pregnant. When I got pregnant with my son I was a little over 200lbs, I had been eating like crap, not exercising.. just overall being unhealthy. Found out I was pregnant and sort of did a turn around. Wanted to make sure I was eating well for the kiddo, and started walking 20 minutes a day.

For the first trimester I actually dropped weight. My doctor didn't really mind, so long as I was getting enough calories and eating well. Around mid second trimester he advised me to start eating more cause he didn't want the scale going down anymore. So second and third trimester I ended up staying about the same weight total (I think I gained 1-2lbs).

My little guy was born with signs that I had gestational diabetes (although when they ran the test I didn't). He was a large kid at 9lbs 1oz, and had low blood sugar so had to be taken to NICU until the blood sugar came up. Gestational diabetes is more related to me being overweight though, and less related to my diet/exercise. In fact my doctor said that the reason it probably wasn't that bad was because I had changed my diet.

So! My input is basically listen to your doctor. Dieting while pregnant is fine, just make sure your doctor knows what you're doing (and okays it, which is sounds like he's done), and you're getting enough calories for the little guy/girl.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #3  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, my doctor was actually sort of taken aback when I told him pregnant women are no longer allowed at WW. When/if I do get pregnant, I will probably just hide it for as long as I can, go to meetings and then eventually switch to online. LOL
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/153/145

Height: 5'8"

Honestly, I don't see any problem with doing WW while pregnant. They most likely stopped allowing pregnant women to do it for legal issues and because most women aren't "supposed" to diet while pregnant, unless followed by a doctor. I am doing the plan for breastfeeding moms and they add anywhere to 14 additional points for breastfeeding only and 7 additional points for breastfeeding and supplementing with food/formula for older babies. You might want to consider doing that plan while pregnant instead of the regular plan with less points. From what I read while I was pregnant, you only need an additional 300 calories a day. You actually will need more after pregnancy if you plan to breastfeed (about 500/cals a day).

I would do what works best for you. I don't really consider WW a "diet" because you aren't restricting any foods, you are just watching portions. Plus they favorize eating fruits/veggies since they are 0 points. I say do what works best for you during your pregnancy.
TheLunchLady is offline   Reply With Quote