Old 10-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 480/471/135

Height: 5'2"

Default new to 3fc and new(ish) to WW

Hi, my name is Julie, I'm 35 years old and I live in Northern California. I did an introduction post in the main forum, but thought I would make one here too since I'm using WW.

I've been trying to watch what I eat for what seems like forever, but was not seeing any results. I've started the process to have weight loss surgery, but the hospitals the surgeon I am seeing works at have a maximum limit on the bmi of the patient. 60 for one and 65 for the other. My bmi is currently in the high 80's, which equals a weight loss of about 150 pounds. I find that ridiculous because if I could lose 150 pounds on my own (meaning without surgery), I would have done it already. I'm trying to comply with the surgeon's office request or rather the hospital's request, so I decided to start back on Weight Watchers. I've been on it a few times before, going to the meetings and all that, but this time I am just doing it on my own.

My first day was last Sunday (the 28th of Sept). I have an app on my phone to calculate points and I'm keeping track of what I eat in a notebook. My issue is that I'm not using up all of my points every day. I get 69 points per day, but the most I've used is about 40. I could definitely eat more than what I've been eating, but I don't have the food to do so. Plus I can't drive (due to my size and mobility issues) and nobody to drive me right now (I normally go when my mom goes, but she's out of commission with a broken femur right now). Also because of my mobility issues I cannot stand at the stove to cook, so all of my meals are either microwaveable or sandwiches.

Does anyone have suggestions on things I can get at the grocery store (when I can find a way to go) that are microwaveable, quick and easy and are not too crazy on the points?

And I'm gonna throw in some dancing carrots because they are hypnotizing and make me laugh.

julie524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #2  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning and Welcome!!

I would start adding healthier fats to your diet to help bulk up your points like avocado and nuts. Both of those will have higher point values, be easy to prep (since really is none) and still be on the healthier end of snacks.

Could you share an example of what a typical day of eating looks like for you from your journal? We might be able to give you some suggestions on things to add!
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Hi again, and welcome!

For microwaveable foods that are quick and easy I've found Progresso Light soups (they're weight watchers endorsed and 2 points per serving, 2 servings per can so 4 points total). There are also Smart Ones meals that vary in points, usually 7-8 per thing in the frozen section. Yoplait Light also has some WW endorsed yogurts, 2 points per.

SoMuchFattitude had awesome suggestions for things to bulk up points that don't really require prep. I also like doing yogurt/fruit smoothies if I find I have a good chunk of points leftover. Here's a list I generally go off of:
http://www.slenderkitchen.com/healthy-smoothie-recipes/
I have issues getting all my fruit and veggie servings, so the smoothies help.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #4  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Hello and welcome! I agree that if you could provide a daily menu it might help us to give you more targeted advice

Along with what has been suggested, I'd say don't be afraid to use full fat dairy like milk and yogurt (if you eat dairy that is). It's a way to get extra points without having to eat more food, which I know can be a struggle with the higher daily point values.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:08 AM   #5  

Hello. I never saw the emails that I had replies so I didn't even know there were any until I came to read new posts. Whoops.

Here is what I've had to eat today.

2 cups of instant coffee w/ cream and sugar. 2 pts per cup = 4pts
banana fosters yogurt (can't remember the brand). 6pts
2 sandwich thins w/ 1 slice of swiss cheese, mayo, deli chicken lunch meat and a spring lettuce mix. 13pts
Eating Right Chicken Alfredo tv dinner. 11pts (but it has 33 grams of protein)
1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese (I added it to the tv dinner). 3pts
WW English Toffee Crunch ice cream bar. 3pts

So a total of 40 points.

Sometimes it varies, but I normally have a salad, sandwich(es) or soup for lunch. Dinner is one of the same choices.

I can only eat so much yogurt and I don't like most types because of the texture (it's just weird for me). I want to get some avocadoes, but they are really expensive lately. Not sure if because of where I live or what. I do have some pine nuts to add to my salads and depending on the tv dinner, I'll add some to that too.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #6  
Thursday Lady

Add bananas and oatmeal as a breakfast. You can use the packets of instant oatmeal and add raisins, or any berry.
I've found that the bags of salad greens or great to use. Just find them on sale and buy several bags.
Hope this helps a little.
Good luck!
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #7  
Sassafrass

Breakfast: Quaker Protein Instant Oatmeal (6pp) with 10 Walnut Halves (4pp) and sliced banana (0pp) in it. and 2 cups of instant coffee w/ cream and sugar. 2 pts per cup = 4pts

Breakfast = 14pp

Snack:6 vanilla wafers (5pp) banana fosters yogurt (can't remember the brand). 6pts

Snack = 11pp

Lunch: 2 sandwich thins w/ 1 slice of swiss cheese, mayo, deli chicken lunch meat and a spring lettuce mix. 13pts apple (0pp) and a serving of veggie straws/chips/cheez-its/whatever you like - typically (4pp)

Lunch = 17pp

Snack: 4pp Hummus and veggies (0pp)

Snack = 4pp

Dinner: Eating Right Chicken Alfredo tv dinner. 11pts (but it has 33 grams of protein)
1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese (I added it to the tv dinner). 3pts
Salad with rf dressing (2pp worth) and 2pp RF shredded cheese

Dinner = 18pp

Snack: WW English Toffee Crunch ice cream bar. 3pts

Snack = 3pp

That would take you to 67.

Thoughts?

Last edited by SoMuchFattitude; 10-17-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #8  

I like what SoMuchFattitude posted. Definitely try and work snacks in. It's difficult to remember to do at first if it's not something you're use to doing, but it helps. Not only does it keep you not hungry through-out the day, and get your points up, but studies have shown that eating smaller meals throughout the day can help keep your metabolism up. So those snacks will help in that regard too versus adding the points to Lunch/Dinner.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #9  

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm so anti-fruit it's horrible. lol I'll eat some strawberries here and there, but if they are even slightly mushy they gross me out. lol Yes, I'm a bit of a picky eater. And I like some veggies, but mostly cooked/steamed. Any of the ones you'd dip in hummus I don't do raw. Unless it was grape tomatoes. I love hummus though, so I'll have to see if I can find some low point chips or something.

I bought a box of the Fiber One Lemon Bars and the Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, they are only 2 points each. They taste good, but are small and not all that filling. I'm almost out so I want to get some more. I was going to the other week, but they were almost $4 a box at Safeway. Everything has gone up in price so much. Ugh.

I got one of those big containers of salad mix the other week for $5 and I'm hoping it was not just a special for that week because I got at least 4 salads, plus all the mix I put on my sandwiches out of the thing.

I'm going to the grocery store again on Tuesday (I hope because I am down to 3 cans of soup and a couple tv dinners) and one can only live off that and Jif S'mores Whipped Peanut Butter for so long. lol It's 4 points for 2 tablespoons and I eat it in 1 teaspoon servings. Since 3 teaspoons equals 1 tablespoon it just seems like I'm getting more than way. Though I add in an extra point or 2 since I probably overfill my spoon.

Snacks are definitely on my list of foods to buy. I'm used to snacking throughout the day, but not watching my weight snacking. So except for a Fiber One bar or yogurt, I'm not really snacking. And it's not every day either, so I need to get into the routine of doing it.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:45 AM   #10  
Sassafrass

Then don't eat the fruit. That's a pretty simple fix. Even not eating any of the fruits I suggested, you're still way upping your points. I'm very picky over the quality of my produce, as well - so I can understand that. If you like lettuce, perhaps endives would be a good choice to dip in hummus?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 128.7kg/125.1kg/80kg

Height: 168cm

Hi all
I also only just started with WW and I'm always looking for ideas for quick and easy meals. We don't own a microwave and I don't really like instant meals; but that's just me.
What I've found works for me when I don't feel like cooking is
Wraps. I use Flour Tortillas and fill it with some light cream cheese spread, lean meat and whatever veggies are at hand.
I'm also VERY picky when it comes to fruit. I've found that frozen berries work best for me. I can either mix them with some yoghurt or just eat them like that.
Tanyanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:35 AM   #12  

I had my 2nd appointment at my weight loss surgeon's office today (or I guess yesterday if you go by the date) and found that I've lost 9 pounds since I was there a month ago!

And I have no idea how since I haven't been using all my points, but I guess I'll keep at it.

I went grocery shopping after my appointment and got most of the same, but a few new things. I got tortillas to make wraps and actual bread instead of those sandwich thins. The loaf of bread was cheaper and 4 points for 2 slices (both halves of a sandwich thin is 3). I never found the hummus, but now that I think about where it would have been located, I didn't even go to that area because it's kept by the more expensive deli meats/cheeses. I bought another huge package of salad and it was on sale for $3, plus I had a coupon for .50 cents off so SCORE! lol I got some tv dinners (Safeway's Eating Right brand), a couple avocados, more grape tomatoes and more yogurt (I have finally found Pumpkin Pie yogurt!).

Question: When you eat out at a restaurant and it's not a chain or anywhere they have the nutrition info either available on their website or in the menu, how do you calculate your points? Do you just guess it out the best you can?

After my appointment, but before the store we stopped to eat at a local place. I got a chicken fajita wrap with fries. The wrap had grilled chicken, lettuce, onion and green bell peppers in it. I probably should have substituted out the fries for something else, but didn't want just a plain salad, plus I wasn't the one paying and couldn't really ask the person who drove me if I could add on a bunch of things to the bill. Based how many points the tortillas I bought at the store are, I ended up figuring 4 points for the tortilla itself, 3 points for the chicken and 10 for the fries.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:18 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 128.7kg/125.1kg/80kg

Height: 168cm

That's great! Congratulations on the weight loss!

About the Hummus, you can actually make it yourself quite easily. I can't post any links yet, either, so just google "Hummus Recipe". Basically, you throw canned chickpeas in a foodprocessor and add spices. And that's that. Of course there are lots of variations out there but for all of them you should be able to figure out the points easily.

I would probably go about figuring the points like you, just the best as I can. The only thing I would worry about was if there was any sauce in the wrap? Because with the sauces, mostly you don't know what's in them, which makes it hard to calculate.

I also think it's ok to have fries. Just take it off your weekly Extra Budget. :-)
Tanyanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:41 AM   #14  

Thanks!

I don't have the stuff to make hummus, I'll just wait till the next time I go shopping and buy some already made. Less clean-up! lol

There wasn't really any sauce in the wrap, just what got made when they sauteed the onions & peppers. Luckily I ate that for lunch and since I wasn't sure how good/bad I'd estimated the lunch points, I just had a salad for dinner and even with some dessert I'm still 11 points under for the day.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #15  

Nice job julie! Congrats on the loss, and sounds like you had an awesome grocery trip.

As far as restaurants go.. I'll usually look up the nutritional info online, cause sometimes it'll be posted on a separate site. If that's a dead end, and there is absolutely no info, I will try and ask the server if he/she knows how many calories there are in the meal and make a best guess based on those... if even that doesn't work I try to guess completely based on what it would be if I made it at home, and then adding extra points. Mostly we try to stick to restaurants now that have nutritional info available when we go out.. which isn't really that often (maybe once-twice a month).