3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   January WW Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/291096-january-ww-chat.html)

DrivenByAmbition 01-01-2014 10:26 AM

January WW Chat

Happy New Year!!! :celebrate: :newyear: :celebrate:

This is a place where we can chat about our January challenges and successes.

finale 01-01-2014 10:37 AM

I am excited to start the new year. I am going to stick to the plan and eat the way the plan was designed and see what can happen in a month. I know what a wonderful feeling it is to see the numbers on the scale change and I believe it's better than eating food.
I am also getting addicted to exercise and love the feeling I have after finishing my visit to the gym for the day.
I have been learning to not let things that use to make me react to people no longer have that control over me. This is something that has been many years in coming. I'm going to be the one to help my daughter also achieve her weight loss goal and what a pair we will be this summer.
Thanks for starting this page I look forward to this month and new year.

EasySpirit 01-01-2014 12:33 PM

I am also going to try my best to stick to the plan. I somehow managed to maintain my ten pound loss through the holidays and hope to start losing again. I am hoping the accountability of checking in on this ww site weekly will help.

DrivenByAmbition 01-01-2014 12:52 PM

Yeah, December was not a good month for me. I was not on plan at all... Ready to start fresh.

DrivenByAmbition 01-02-2014 07:29 AM

I'm very glad to be starting back tomorrow. I just feel terrible with the way I ate the month of December. 2014 will be a great, healthy year.

Serenity100 01-02-2014 08:07 PM

Hi All and Happy New Year. Thanks for starting this thread. I started Jan. 1. I know WW works and I know it is very healthy. I have used older plans with success and I am liking the Power Foods approach. I am going to try to eat only Power Foods and I think that is the best of all plans. I am also tracking my points, because I know I have to be honest and not play food games. I am doing the "at home" with the etools and using the iPhone app. I love it. I don't love the boards and challenges on the WW site, they are all over the place. 3FC is a much more personal environment.

My goal is to lose 50 lbs in 50 weeks. That would be next Christmastime. I know I can do it.

SharShar1 01-02-2014 08:27 PM

Serenity100, I really like your goal for 2014! I will incorporate something like that in my 2014 goals.:carrot:

All the best to everyone in this new year!

amandie 01-03-2014 12:07 AM

Hello all. I'm restarting back on WW after eating and drinking my way up to 170ish after having been 157lbs for a hot minute.

I'm so excited about starting back tomorrow and getting rid of the regain plus more! I will be restarting the 30 Day Shred slowly and doing the elliptical couple times a week in addition to my PT knee exercises (I hurt my knee doing Insanity, it was def a big part of my regain since I couldn't exercise and yada yada.)

Wishing everyone the best for this year and this month! :)

Serenity100 01-03-2014 06:40 PM

The first day of Spring is March 20th. My goal is to be 100% within points everyday until then, no excuses. (Since I have no big events or holidays that would interfere, it is very doable)

Tomorrow I am going out for lunch. I decided that I would definitely have one glass of wine 5 points, and then either a salad or a veggie burger with no bun. I honestly don't care about the food now.

I tried some new power foods, quinoa, which is I really enjoyed. And Kale chips which didn't look like anything tasty, but wow, if you want a little crunch and some salt, plus you get those vitamins. Try looking at the recipes.

ladynredd 01-05-2014 06:43 AM

I'm back too. I was not home for several days as I was staying with my son and DIL helping with the new Little Prince. I must say he is the cutest baby born anywhere, at any time -- not that I'm biased or anything.

It's interesting staying at someone else's house and having free access to snoop through their refrigerator and pantry. It's obvious they are not in the habit of cooking -- they have very few of what I consider the basics -- no eggs, no vegetables, etc. It's good to be home where I have control!

Serenity100 01-05-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladynredd (Post 4911386)
I'm back too. I was not home for several days as I was staying with my son and DIL helping with the new Little Prince. I must say he is the cutest baby born anywhere, at any time -- not that I'm biased or anything.

It's interesting staying at someone else's house and having free access to snoop through their refrigerator and pantry. It's obvious they are not in the habit of cooking -- they have very few of what I consider the basics -- no eggs, no vegetables, etc. It's good to be home where I have control!

:congrat: on your new Grandson!

I think that having all the basics in the house such as fresh veggies, and fresh fruits, fat free cheeses, all kinds of power foods is the secret to success. But it is a lot of planning and preparation too. I am trying to make all my meal plans for the week, and then go to the grocery store to stock up. I used to be like your son, cause when you work, and then come home, you are exhausted, and then you forgot to plan, and have nothing put processed foods to eat. Even a WW frozen meal is not that healthy to eat, but I guess its good to have a few on hand for emergencies.

amandie 01-05-2014 02:43 PM

I really like your 100% until Spring goal, Serenity! Curious, does that mean you will or will not be using weeklies for that goal? How was your lunch? I've yet to try quinoa. How did you prepare it?

Congrats on your new addition to the family, ladynredd. I totally hear ya on having more control at home! :)

We are snowed in today so I will be making some sort of veggie soup soon and pot roast with some veggies and potatoes in the crockpot for dinner later on. I will be doing a little bit of the elliptical today and some arm weights today. After that, curl up with some blankets and movies with BF. Hope everyone has a great day!

Serenity100 01-05-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandie (Post 4911734)
I really like your 100% until Spring goal, Serenity! Curious, does that mean you will or will not be using weeklies for that goal? How was your lunch? I've yet to try quinoa. How did you prepare it?

Hi Amandie, I am just going to give it my all, stay within my points range. I don't plan on using my weeklies on a regular basis because I want to lose at least one pound a week. I don't swap my APs either. Maybe when I get to maintenance that is a different story. Others might have better outcomes when they use all the extras and swap the activity points.

I do think that the extra points and the activity points are good to use when you go to a very special event or on vacation, very occasionally. I know how my body responds, and if I am not diligent, I my body hangs onto every last ounce. lol
I chose the Spring date, cause that is enough time to see what kind of results I can get going 100% but it doesn't feel "forever".

The quinoa is very easy to prepare. I followed the directions exactly, except I substituted low salt vegetable broth instead of water. Quinoa is very mild tasting, it was a good change instead of brown rice.

myfavisblue 01-06-2014 01:51 AM

Happy new year y'all!
I am starting fresh too! I fallen off the wagon months ago and I havent been here like forever and I miss chatting with you guys. Update. Well I have been single for so many years and last June 2013 I finally met my man :) so ever since been eating out and drinking. Let say I am happy since I met him and thats when I fell off the WW wagon. But I did try to stay within points but some days I feel lazy and in love hahaha.
Anyway I am back and back with motivation and determination. I started yesterday again with WW and been tracking deligently. I am an active woman. I love going to the gym but lately as I said been lazy doing stuff. So last night I ordered my Shaun T workout dvd. The new one, focus T25 (I have done insanity before and I did not want to do that all over again. Insanity killed me! But I did lose weight and got toned). So I am excited with that and hopefully I shred this weight gain again (gained 15 lbs since June :( )
So good luck to me!!!

Yup I looked at my ticker and that 176 lbs was last June. :D

amandie 01-07-2014 12:37 AM

Sounds good, Serenity100! Wishing you luck on your goal! I will have to try quinoa sometime soon.

Welcome back and happy new year to you too, myfavisblue! I hear ya on the new relationship gains, lol. You're awesome for doing Insanity! 2 weeks in the program, I hurt my knee when I fell on my butt doing those floor touches a little too fast. I'm sticking with Jillian, lol! ;) I've heard good things about T25. Let us know how you get on!

I did good this weekend up until last night... I got into the Christmas chocolate. I didn't do much damage, thankfully. I gave all the chocolate to the BF for himself to have and asked him to keep it in the basement. The big pot of veggie soup I made (broccoli, celery, onions, cauliflower and 4 small potatoes) was so good, especially in this frigid weather we are having. I should have roasted the broccoli and cauliflower first for more flavor, next time for sure. To avoid me going choco-loco like I did last night, I decided to make a (somewhat healthy) Black Forest cake- healthy devil's food cake from scratch (less than half was used with real sugar and the other Splenda, also used white whole wheat flour to boost fiber), dream whip with 2% milk and SF cherry pie filling, yum!

Serenity100 01-07-2014 06:13 AM

Hi, I made the spaghetti and "meat" sauce recipe using vegan meat crumbles and it was really good. I didn't even miss the beef. The portion is big too, a cup of whole grain pasta. 8 points.

Serenity100 01-08-2014 05:01 PM

Week 1 - Down 4.5 lbs. Yay.

amandie 01-08-2014 05:33 PM

WTG, Serenity!!

My weigh-in isn't until Friday but based on what I've seen on the scale, it'll be good news! :)

indigophoenix 01-08-2014 06:01 PM

Hello! Glad to meet you all!!

I am on my second week of Simple Start (newbie WW Online Only member) and so far I've lost 5 pounds. :D I know it will slow down, but I'm still excited.

I like the app. I've made a couple mistakes, but not beating myself up about it. Gets easier every day.

Doing some slow walking each day, because I'm so out of shape. I have thyroid issues (hypo) so it's a struggle with fatigue, but I'm sticking with the exercise.

Becky Quilts 01-09-2014 10:24 AM

Hi, ladies! I wanted to pop in. It's been crazy around here with holidays, snow days, and getting back to work!

indigophoenix - glad to hear SS is going so well! I had hyper then hypo thyroid postpartum, it's amazing what all it affects. Good for you for keeping moving!

amandie - keep us posted! :D

Serenity100 - congrats, woohoo!

As for me - Weigh-in for a 12-week weight loss group at work is tomorrow, I plan on working the plan, and am looking forward to the additional support at work (instead of the constant holiday influx of bagels!).

amandie 01-10-2014 03:38 PM

Weigh in this am was the same, I maintained. Oh well, not worrying about it and just keep on plan.

I got my textbooks today and my student ID too. It's real, I'm going back to school. Excited and nervous but I know I can do it.

Serenity100 01-10-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandie (Post 4916229)
Weigh in this am was the same, I maintained. Oh well, not worrying about it and just keep on plan.

I got my textbooks today and my student ID too. It's real, I'm going back to school. Excited and nervous but I know I can do it.

Good luck going back to school! You can do it!i

I had a NSV, someone brought in a cheesecake from the Juniors Cheesecake place. OMG. They gave me a slice, I took one tiny taste and then threw the entire slice in the garbage. Never threw away perfectly good cake in my life before today. lol

amandie 01-10-2014 09:05 PM

Thanks, Serenity, appreciate the encouragement! That is definitely an awesome NSV. I love cheesecake.

Somehow I pulled something on the right side of my back when I was getting in the car to go pick up my textbooks. It has been bugging me all day and I've spent the entire afternoon in bed trying to get comfortable, ugh. I just hope there's at least 50% improvement by Monday for classes. :crossed: On the upside, I'm not spending points on alcohol or junk since I've been relying on the BF to bring me food and drink, lol. Have a great evening and weekend, all!

amandie 01-11-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indigophoenix (Post 4914618)
Hello! Glad to meet you all!!

I am on my second week of Simple Start (newbie WW Online Only member) and so far I've lost 5 pounds. :D I know it will slow down, but I'm still excited.

I like the app. I've made a couple mistakes, but not beating myself up about it. Gets easier every day.

Doing some slow walking each day, because I'm so out of shape. I have thyroid issues (hypo) so it's a struggle with fatigue, but I'm sticking with the exercise.

Welcome, Indigo! Glad to meet you too. Great job on the walking! I've been slacking majorly on that front and need to get my butt moving as soon as I'm mostly healed from my back.

Serenity100 01-11-2014 01:32 PM

Hi everybody! I'm checking in every day to keep me on plan. Has anyone used the Weight Watcher's Vanilla shake to make the smoothie?

I want to buy it, but it seems sooo expensive. Years ago there used to be a product, Alba that was a shake that WW told you to use, and it was not expensive and easy to find. Now if I want the shake I either have to go where there is a WW meeting or pay $5.95 shipping.

Maybe I can add protein powder to skim milk. . .hmmmm. . .I have to investigate. But if you have any thoughts please let me know.

Serenity100 01-11-2014 04:42 PM

Hi, I found a protein shake that supposedly tastes like the shake at Wendy's, plus it is good for you. Here is the recipe, I will write a review when I get all the ingredients together and try it.
faux protein frosty (taste’s just like wendy’s!)
serves one

ingredients:

3/4 cup (6 ounces) almond milk (or milk of your choice, i use unsweetened vanilla almond breeze by blue diamond)
15 ice cubes.. maybe more!
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (use your favorite brand–it’s important that you enjoy the flavor. i like MRM whey natural vanilla or plant fusion vanilla bean)
1-2 TB unsweetened cocoa powder (depending on how chocolatey you like it)
1/4 tsp xanthan gum (this is the KEY ingredient)
1/4 tsp guar gum (or use more xanthan if you don’t have guar)
sweetener of choice (in this one i used 1/4 of a frozen banana for my sweetener, but i always switch it up. other ideas: stevia packet, a few dates, xylitol, or agave)
directions:

blend, blend, blend.
devour.

I haven't figured out the exact points but it is 210 calories. Figuring out the points should be easy, but I want to see the nutrition label of the protein powder first to be sure. The xanthan gum is calorie free, it is used as a thickening agent.

amandie 01-11-2014 06:11 PM

Oh man, I really wanna try that faux frosty. Mmm! 210 calories isn't that bad compared to the real thing, oy. I have not used protein powder in a long time so can't really help ya out on that one. Now I just use yogurt, preferably Greek style since there's more protein in it and make green smoothies with it.

My current fave smoothie is apple, carrots, 1/2 frozen banana, zucchini, 1/2 to 3/4 cup yogurt with some ice and/or water, depending on how thick I want it.

Re: my back, I'm feeling somewhat better so I have been taking it easy today, catching up on my TV shows, lol. So far so good on my daily points. Have a good evening, all.

jaimie1980 01-12-2014 10:44 AM

Hey all! New to the WW forum, as I just started last week. Thought I would jump back to 3FC as a way to stay motivated. I like WW, and I am hoping to stick to it for life. I've never really gone to the meetings until now, although I have counted points in the past. I feel like the meetings will keep me accountable (some one else is weighing me!). :o

About me- I am a married mom of 3, live in the Midwest, I am an RN, and I have been overweight since I was 21. I weighed 217 at my non-pregnant highest, and have bounced all over between there and 168 at the lowest. I am hoping that this is the time I will actually get back to a normal weight and stay there. The good news is I am starting with much less to lose than in the past. I have done okay maintaining some of my past losses, but I want to get this done once and for all. I am renewing my wedding vows (10 yr anniversary) later this year (May) and I want to look good. My first 'wedding' was courthouse style and I wore pants and a awful shirt and the pics are TERRIBLE. I want to do it right this time, with a gown and the hair and all the bells and whistles. :carrot:

shanhat81 01-12-2014 10:57 AM

I'm new to this thread, too, but excited about it! I've been absent from WW and 3FC for about six months. Life gets busy sometimes.

I'm 32, live in the DC area, work as a writer/editor. I'm hoping to get pregnant soon, but feel like the 10 lbs I gained last year are holding me back a bit. So I figure if I don't get pregnant, I could lose that weight, plus a little more. And if I do, I'll just lose it after.

Serenity -- I love your 100 percent plan. I think I'm going to steal that mindset.

Serenity100 01-12-2014 03:07 PM

Happy Sunday to All!
I love all the positive energy over here! I know we can do it. Checking in each day and being accountable is a huge step in the right direction. I don't even need anyone to respond. LOL. Just knowing you are reading knowing the obstacles is enough.:D

I am trying to stick to the power foods, those little green triangle thingies. My dh who does not have a weight problem, can benefit too, health wise. He just eats much bigger portions, and doesn't have to watch what he snacks on.

Today I'm making a roast chicken and making the roasted sweet potatoes recipe. As long as I make the right choices and keep my portions under control, there is no worries.

Good Luck this week.

DrivenByAmbition 01-12-2014 08:02 PM

Starting back... Long day tomorrow so may not make it to gym, but my goal is for this week to follow all health guidelines.

Tereyin 01-13-2014 03:10 AM

Hey everyone! Just wanted to say hi. I've gained, lost, gained and became heavier then I've ever been and I'm back trying to change. Started ww two weeks ago and I'm already down 9 lbs. I'm hoping that as long as I stick to it, the weight will keep coming off. I need to be happy and healthy again.

abinks 01-13-2014 11:18 AM

I started December 2, 2013. My (mini) goal for the month was to lose 5 pounds. Well I didn't do it by the 31st, though I did lose 4 pounds. I still felt very satisfied with my progress. But by January 3rd, I did it! Here's my progress so far:

Start weight: 170
Week 1: Maintained
Week 2: -2 (168)
Week 3: -1 (167)
Week 4: -1 (166 week of Christmas!)
Week 5: -2 (164 happy to make under the 165 mark)
Week 6: ??

Week 6 ends today for me, and I did a pre-weigh this morning... And I am down another 3... 161!!!

I got size 12 pants for Christmas (size 14 was my biggest and those pants have started to get baggy). Not only do I fit into them, I fit into them well! They look great, and make me feel great.

As an aside, I got married October 26, 2013, just 2 and a half months ago. I hadn't started WW at that point, but on my wedding day I weight 175. That's 14 pounds I've lost... Way to kick that newlywed 15 in the butt!

January is half over, so I guess it's just time for a mini-mini goal. Since I still have 16 pounds to go to reach my ultimate goal weight of 145, I would like to just keep losing at a steady pace of 1-2 pounds a week. So my goal for January 31:

157 Just 4 pounds to go.

Becky Quilts 01-13-2014 12:26 PM

amandie - GL with school! Hope your back feels better soon.

Serenity100 - (re: cheesecake) you're stronger than me! I'd be looking up the points for that! :)
- I haven't tried the smoothie recipie with their mix. I agree, it seems overpriced. The WW world seems split as to how to count smoothies; approach with caution. I have had good luck generally with using chocolate protein powder in banana smoothies (yum) but that was when I was maintaining and not on plan. If you count it you should be fine. (Banana, milk, scoop of chocolate powder, ice).

jaimie1980 - Welcome! I grew up and went to college in Iowa, and now live in Illinois. Meetings helped me a ton! Sounds like you've got some lovely plans for May. :)

shanhat81 & Tereyin - Welcome! :)

DrivenByAmbition - great goal!

abinks - you're doing great! I tried to lose 5 during December but gave up through the holidays :( Not a great attitude.
- I gained 15 for my wedding, it's funny how bliss can affect eating and moving. :) Congrats on your great results!! Enjoy that wedded bliss. :)

AFM (as for me) - found out the beer I enjoy (darker beers) really pack a points punch. I really know better, to do my homework ahead of time. It is easier for me to stay on track at work, where I can bring in what I need, and when it's gone it's gone. Sooo current guess is that I have 12 WP left for the work week but with plans for some exercise this week. I think it's doable.

Serenity100 01-13-2014 04:02 PM

Hi All! I really get encouraged by reading all of your posts.
Re: the Smoothie/Shake. I subscribe to the etools so once I get all the ingredients I will get the correct points. I did read on the WW main site that if you make a smoothie, any kind, you have to count your fruit, or limit it to just one serving of one fruit. Because then people would be throwing in all kinds of fruit and mixing it up and then the calories would be for five fruits, not just one.

Everyone wait on the smoothie, until I figure the points. . .Amazon already shipped the protein powder. . .I have to get the unsweetened cocoa.

abinks 01-14-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity100 (Post 4918542)
Hi All! I really get encouraged by reading all of your posts.
Re: the Smoothie/Shake. I subscribe to the etools so once I get all the ingredients I will get the correct points. I did read on the WW main site that if you make a smoothie, any kind, you have to count your fruit, or limit it to just one serving of one fruit. Because then people would be throwing in all kinds of fruit and mixing it up and then the calories would be for five fruits, not just one.

Everyone wait on the smoothie, until I figure the points. . .Amazon already shipped the protein powder. . .I have to get the unsweetened cocoa.

When I make smoothies all I use is fruit usually one banana and a handful or something else, and either almond milk or yogurt. I have only been counting the milk and yogurt. Why would I need to count the fruits? If I ate them separately throughout the day wouldn't they be zero points?

Becky Quilts 01-14-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abinks (Post 4919176)
When I make smoothies all I use is fruit usually one banana and a handful or something else, and either almond milk or yogurt. I have only been counting the milk and yogurt. Why would I need to count the fruits? If I ate them separately throughout the day wouldn't they be zero points?

Aaaand you're now at the place where many heated discussions are had.

Bottom line is to do what you're comfortable with.

If you're not counting the fruit and you stall, then start counting fruit.

My 2c... count it.
Quote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Dec28.html
""Fluid calories do not hold strong satiety properties, don't suppress hunger and don't elicit compensatory dietary responses," says Richard D. Mattes, professor of food and nutrition at Purdue University. In fact, "when drinking fluid calories, people often end up eating more calories overall.""
Really, smoothies fall into a grey area and you need to keep an eye if you do choose to not count them. They can be a slippery slope.

If you can keep up with only counting the yougurt and milk, enjoy. :sunny:

shanhat81 01-15-2014 10:16 AM

I'm on the "count it" side, too, but I have to watch my weeklies and hoard my APs.

On another topic -- does anyone else hate going to the grocery store? It's not even the lifting and the carrying. It's the budgeting and couponing and selecting and planning. It takes FOREVER.

Becky Quilts 01-15-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanhat81 (Post 4920033)
I'm on the "count it" side, too, but I have to watch my weeklies and hoard my APs.

On another topic -- does anyone else hate going to the grocery store? It's not even the lifting and the carrying. It's the budgeting and couponing and selecting and planning. It takes FOREVER.

I think that may be why I haven't gotten there in too long! I want to switch gears into "more Paleo" but it's tough to get the system to change. I try to break it down one week at a time, but getting to the store hasn't been easy.

Hubby doesn't mind going on quick trips, and picking up lots of fruits. Veggies, on the other hand, aren't on his radar as much. Can't complain, overall!

shanhat81 01-15-2014 03:48 PM

Well, that's done for another week. Yay.

Does anyone read the Skinnytaste blog?? I think I'm going to make these for dessert this week -- I just need to go to the nice spice store (Penzeys) and get some vanilla extract.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/11/c...ip-clouds.html

Chocolate Chip Clouds
Skinnytaste.com

Adapted from Hershey's Kitchens
Servings: 30 • Serving Size: 1 cookie • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 1 pt
Calories: 53.7 • Fat: 2.2 g • Carb: 8.4 g • Fiber: 1.7 g • Protein: 1.1 g

Ingredients:

1/2 cup egg whites (room temperature)
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:

Heat oven to 300°F. Cover cookie sheet with silpat or nonstick silicone pad.

Using a mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together in large bowl at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar a little at a time, then vanilla, beating well after each addition until you get stiff peaks, the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is glossy.

Sift cocoa onto egg white mixture; gently fold until combined.

Fold in chocolate chips. Drop mixture by heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheet. Makes 30 to 32 cookies.

Bake 34 to 40 minutes or just until dry. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely on wire rack. Store covered, at room temperature.

My master plan is to save three for myself and have my husband take the rest to work the next day. This worked well with the unhealthy candy cane fudge I made in December.