3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   Hey guys. Question here about homemade fruit smoothies. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/291036-hey-guys-question-here-about-homemade-fruit-smoothies.html)

Krissypants29 12-31-2013 01:35 AM

Hey guys. Question here about homemade fruit smoothies.

We'll hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, speaking of Christmas I got a nutribullet as a gift and I was just wondering about points. I know that it's not a juicer but I was reading that sometimes you still have to count it as points.

I only use about a cup of fruit and then mix it with some ice. If I were to use yogurt I know I would have to count those as points, but what about just a small amount of fruit and ice? Zero? Thanks guys.

Enjoy your holidays :)

QuilterInVA 12-31-2013 09:26 AM

It has to be counted. When you process fruit into a smoothie you change it properties and your body doesn't burn as many calories to digest it. A cup of fruit is 2 servings. You are far better off eating it and not drinking it since eating it will keep you full longer than a smoothie that leaves your stomach faster.

fitbyforty 12-31-2013 10:07 AM

You do not have to count it. Pure unsweetened fruit is free. If it was juice or sweetened with juice or syrup then it has to be counted.

fitbyforty 12-31-2013 10:13 AM

That being said smoothies do have calories so watch how many serving of fruit you are using.

Dixiemom 12-31-2013 01:02 PM

I would Not count it. As long as you use whole fruit with all the fibre, it should be zero points. I did this all the time. My leader said it was zero as well. Do not have too many a day, as having too many of zero point foods can slow weight loss. Just like fitbyforty said.

Becky Quilts 12-31-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuilterInVA (Post 4907565)
It has to be counted. When you process fruit into a smoothie you change it properties and your body doesn't burn as many calories to digest it. A cup of fruit is 2 servings. You are far better off eating it and not drinking it since eating it will keep you full longer than a smoothie that leaves your stomach faster.

This.

Also, Calories eaten and calories drank do not register the same.

Plug the recipe into a calorie and nutrients calculator, it's likely low in points. Personally i prefer to err on guessing high for things, "I lost too much weight this week" said no dieter ever. ;) I say that to be light, but I think you see what I'm saying... It's not a game to stay under points, Points are just training wheels. The end goal is permanent, healthy habits.

Smoothies can be a slippery slope. That said, for some it's the only way breakfast happens.

fitbyforty 12-31-2013 02:00 PM

This come up often on the WW message boards,which are free btw,the consensus is you don't have to count it but be mindful of the number of servings.

Krissypants29 12-31-2013 03:52 PM

^^ Yah I think I read on weight watchers somewhere that as long as you don't have like 5 servings of fruit you will be fine.

DrivenByAmbition 01-01-2014 12:20 AM

I wouldn't count them... This argument comes up from time to time.

amandie 01-01-2014 02:20 PM

I'm with those on not counting it as long it's just fruit and/or veggies and less than 5 servings. If I've already had fruit earlier and the smoothie I'm having would push me to have over 5 servings of fruit for the day, I do count the excess.