Old 10-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default WW & weight training

I'm currently attempting to get back down to my goal weight of 140 (I have about 20 pounds to lose.) The first time I lost, I didn't do any weight training at all until *after* the weight was gone. This time, though, I'd really like to incorporate some resistance training into my workouts (3 times a week, ideally.)

The problem is, I've been doing too much reading. *L* And so I've totally confused myself with how much cardio I should be doing vs. how much weight training. Like I said, I didn't do ANY weight training at all the first time around until after I had lost the weight, so I didn't have to strike a balance.

For those of you who do WW and weight training -- what do you do in terms of a ratio between cardio and resistance training? And do you find that your daily points are enough to keep you going? (I'm currently at 26 points.)

Any advice would be appreciated!
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #2  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I need the same advice! You and I are on the same page.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I do as little as possible! LOL

Seriously. Weight loss is about creating a deficit. So that's done in the kitchen. We can help a smidgen ( a very small amount) by exercising but you really have no real idea how much you burn while exercising...even if you wear a HRM you'd have to compare what you would have burned just sitting there and there are so many variables that change that number....you just can't be sure of OUTPUT ever.

So....exercise for other reasons....heart health, MAINTAIN muscle mass, bone strength, flexibility, it's fun...it helps you stay on plan, etc.....

The BEST combination of the two is the one you will do. That's it. I walk with the kids and my husband and the dog. I try to do it every day. For heart health. Maybe a couple times a week I wear my HRM and do a seriously sweaty walk/run on the treadmill....I lift heavy 3 times a week.

Do what works for you but don't think it will make a huge impact on weight loss. Too many times when people add intentional exercise, they stop moving more throughout the day. And then they eat more because your body doesn't want that big of a deficit and it's hungry so it will send all sorts of hormonal signals for you to eat!!! It's a vicious cycle.

And definitely find stuff you enjoy.
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #4  
Up and at 'em...again!

kmac1196: Thank you for your reply, but...to be honest, it doesn't help me much.

Yes, weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. However, the kitchen is not the only place a deficit can be created, and I think that's common knowledge. For some of us, exercise helps immensely in weight loss (and I happen to be one of them.) The weeks when I exercise regularly, I lose more. That's a simple fact. It may not be true for everyone, but it's certainly true for me.

I would like to start weight training. I know it will help me, because I need to build some lean body mass (which also helps burn calories, so hey, there's that.) I know that exercise is important for more than weight loss, but I asked about what others do in terms of weight training, and that's what I'd like comments on, you know? It was the reason for my post. I don't need to be told that to lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. I'm not completely stupid, and I already know that. I'm just looking for new ways to create that deficit, because not all of us are satisfied with just creating it in the kitchen.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #5  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

There is a well known phenomenon among weight lifters, it has a lot of names but let's call it the "honeymoon phase". It is a one and ONLY one time only period when you can both build muscle AND lose fat. It lasts for about six months to a year, depending on how vigorously you attack the weights.

RE: Cardio. Cardio can be done in a fasted state. Weights SHOULD NEVER BE DONE in a fasted state. Ideally you want at least two meals under your belt for best results. How much cardio? Honestly, if you're doing weight training with serious intent, 30 minutes a day or so is fine (because if you're lifting seriously you should be at that nearly two hours a week, figure three 45 minute sessions or so).

How to combine the two is up to you and your preferences. Some people work out late in the day and warm up with cardio/lift weights/cool down with cardio. Some people do cardio before breakfast then lift in the evening. It really comes down to what you are most comfortable with and what your goals are. IMO, as a woman, you want to burn fat and build muscle you do your cardio on an empty stomach in the a.m., then lift in the evening right before dinner (your dinner meal being how you replenish nutrient stores instead of shakes, etc.) I'm sure there are others out there who will disagree ... whatever. I lifted seriously for nearly 20 years and that was the system that served my body best.

To learn more about women and weights, I'd recommend you check this site out (I know you've read so much your head is swimming but there's reading and then there's actually finding useful information) well written by a woman, totally approachable about serious weight training from soup to nuts: http://www.stumptuous.com/
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #6  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

Snoofie, while it's not strictly weight training, I started doing the 30 Day Shred and peppering it with C25K. So Shred, Shred, Cardio, Shred, Shred, Cardio, Rest. Probably not crazy helpful, but there are a lot of ladies on the Exercise boards who might be able to help - many of them do quite a bit of weight training.

As for WW, as long as I keep my sessions 30 minutes or under, my points are enough and I haven't been eating many weeklies. When I was doing 60+ minutes of cardio, I was always starving and it was awful.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #7  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPMOM5 View Post
As for WW, as long as I keep my sessions 30 minutes or under, my points are enough and I haven't been eating many weeklies. When I was doing 60+ minutes of cardio, I was always starving and it was awful.
YES. I think that's my problem, right there. 99% of the time, my cardio is made up of walking, but I tend to do, like, 2 hours or more of it, and then when I get back home, I'm so starved I'm ready to eat my arm. And when I do cardio at the gym, I end up doing an hour and it's the same damn thing.

I think that I'm going to start C25K again (I started it last April but never finished it). That'll be 30 minutes of cardio three days a week. Then three days of weight training a week, and a rest day. I think I have a tendency to just do too much, thinking that more is better, when it really only ends up making me more hungry.

Thank you for the comment!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Years ago when I had my first personal trainer, he'd have me work on a cardio machine at moderate intensity for about 15 minutes to warm up. This could be elliptical, bike, or treadmill. After that, I would lift weights for about 45 minutes.

I still work out this way.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #9  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Years ago when I had my first personal trainer, he'd have me work on a cardio machine at moderate intensity for about 15 minutes to warm up. This could be elliptical, bike, or treadmill. After that, I would lift weights for about 45 minutes.

I still work out this way.
When I actually did start weight training after I had lost my weight, the personal trainer had me do 20 minutes of cardio (whatever I wanted) before I began my weight training. I always wondered if anyone else's trainer had them do that, or if it was just one of my trainer's personal preferences.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #10  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

Snoofie, it took me MONTHS to figure out to limit my cardio to 30 minutes or less. Now I'm fine. And I do the same thing - try to do too much and then burn out. I also started C25K inside and then, when I was in week 7, I tried to run a 5k. Inside and outside are infinitely different! I'm restarting outside this time and it is hard as can be.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #11  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPMOM5 View Post
I also started C25K inside and then, when I was in week 7, I tried to run a 5k. Inside and outside are infinitely different! I'm restarting outside this time and it is hard as can be.
When I did C25K the first time around, I got to -- oh god, I don't quite remember. Week 6? The week when, on the third run of the week, you run for 20 minutes straight. Anyway, after that week, I did my first 5K outside. Yeaaahhh, quite different. I ended up walking most of the 5K (although I still finished in just over 35 minutes.) I didn't realize just how different it would be, although I should have known -- I mean, hi, pavement doesn't move continuously under your feet, now, does it? *L*
Old 10-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #12  
Goal is health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
kmac1196: Thank you for your reply, but...to be honest, it doesn't help me much.

Yes, weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. However, the kitchen is not the only place a deficit can be created, and I think that's common knowledge. For some of us, exercise helps immensely in weight loss (and I happen to be one of them.) The weeks when I exercise regularly, I lose more. That's a simple fact. It may not be true for everyone, but it's certainly true for me.

I would like to start weight training. I know it will help me, because I need to build some lean body mass (which also helps burn calories, so hey, there's that.) I know that exercise is important for more than weight loss, but I asked about what others do in terms of weight training, and that's what I'd like comments on, you know? It was the reason for my post. I don't need to be told that to lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. I'm not completely stupid, and I already know that. I'm just looking for new ways to create that deficit, because not all of us are satisfied with just creating it in the kitchen.
Couldn't agree with you more.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #13  

Quote:

Well, I most certainly did not mean to offend you or to imply that you were stupid at all.

My answer was meant to assure you that there is no ONE way or RIGHT way and to possibly remove some stress or guilt that some people feel for not exercising or not exercising what they consider "enough".

I also didn't say it didn't aid in weight loss....I only stated that it was most difficult/near impossible to pin point the exact number you burn during any exercise.

Also, I thought it was important to mention that you can't out exercise a bad diet. If you knew this than I apologize for even mentioning it...but lots of other people come in to read these posts and may find a tidbit of info here or there while reading.

I really only meant to be helpful and supportive. Honestly.

I'll not offer advice again and will keep my opinions to myself in the future. I guess tone is difficult to discern in print.

Last edited by kmac1196; 10-15-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #14  
Goal is health

Sometimes it's is hard to know what someone is saying. The main question wasn't addressed. Do not feel like you can't give advice, but know that people prefer that it's about topic at hand. Several have asked about weight training, but it's becoming obvious that maybe we need to speak to a Trainer since question is not being addressed.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #15  

Quote:
I'm currently attempting to get back down to my goal weight of 140 (I have about 20 pounds to lose.) The first time I lost, I didn't do any weight training at all until *after* the weight was gone. This time, though, I'd really like to incorporate some resistance training into my workouts (3 times a week, ideally.)

The problem is, I've been doing too much reading. *L* And so I've totally confused myself with how much cardio I should be doing vs. how much weight training. Like I said, I didn't do ANY weight training at all the first time around until after I had lost the weight, so I didn't have to strike a balance.

For those of you who do WW and weight training -- what do you do in terms of a ratio between cardio and resistance training? And do you find that your daily points are enough to keep you going? (I'm currently at 26 points.)

Any advice would be appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1196 View Post
I do as little as possible! LOL

Seriously. Weight loss is about creating a deficit. So that's done in the kitchen. We can help a smidgen ( a very small amount) by exercising but you really have no real idea how much you burn while exercising...even if you wear a HRM you'd have to compare what you would have burned just sitting there and there are so many variables that change that number....you just can't be sure of OUTPUT ever.

So....exercise for other reasons....heart health, MAINTAIN muscle mass, bone strength, flexibility, it's fun...it helps you stay on plan, etc.....

The BEST combination of the two is the one you will do. That's it. I walk with the kids and my husband and the dog. I try to do it every day. For heart health. Maybe a couple times a week I wear my HRM and do a seriously sweaty walk/run on the treadmill....I lift heavy 3 times a week.

Do what works for you but don't think it will make a huge impact on weight loss. Too many times when people add intentional exercise, they stop moving more throughout the day. And then they eat more because your body doesn't want that big of a deficit and it's hungry so it will send all sorts of hormonal signals for you to eat!!! It's a vicious cycle.

And definitely find stuff you enjoy.

I answered how it was asked.

And I thought it important to state that there is no right way.