3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Weight Watchers

Weight loss and loose skin!

Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #16

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I have been exercising now for almost two years and started real dieting 16 months ago. I am a slow looser and maybe that combined with mostly strength training helped, but I am not seeing that much loose skin and no stretch marks and I am going towards 49. I just have some flabby skin on my upper arms, which I hope will disappear along with the fat. I will have to see how that will look once the last 20-25 lbs are gone. In the end it may just be genetics, but I think it does not hurt to exercise. At least what is there looks better toned than not.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
Gettin' it done!

S/C/G: HW- 242 Restart SW:166 7/24/14

Height: a little over 5'2

It is what it is, Krissy. I have a little bit right now but I feel a lot more confident and sexier now than I did at 226. Don't let it get you down!

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.- Winston Churchill
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
Burn It!

S/C/G: 310.6/310.6/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissypants29 View Post
Thanks I read all of this. Was helpful but discouraging at the same time :P
I agree. Just keep in mind that you don't know what end of the spectrum you'll fall on, so there's no need worrying about it before it happens (IF it happens).

The idea of having a lot of loose skin after weight loss is definitely disheartening. I just want to feel like I look good naked once in my life! Maybe I will. I hope I will. Or maybe I'll have loose skin and have to dress to cover it. Or maybe I'll be able to afford to surgically remove it, but feel self-conscious about the scars. But when I really think about it, I'd rather have scars or loose skin than stay big. When I was younger, my vanity was my #1 weight loss motivator. Over the last 5 or so years, it's really started taking a physical toll on me (particularly my knees). My #1 reason now, is not feeling so old and out of shape. I'm 27. I want to FEEL 27... whether I look good naked or not.

Overall:

Last edited by Aclai4067 : 08-14-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #19
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm someone who did everything that is always suggested. I drank lots of water, I lifted weights before, during, and after weight loss, lost at a healthy pace, in my early 20s...and I still have loose skin. And stretch marks. Lots of those.

It sucks, but I don't have all that much loose skin. It's tightened up in that it no longer hangs down off my abdomen unless I'm bending over, but I just think my skin is shredded from when I rapidly gained weight as a teenager. I can't really do much about it, but I think that lifting weights helped me avoid having more loose skin on my arms and legs at the very least.

I think it's partly genetics though. My teenage brother lost a lot of weight recently (I don't know how much, but he lost less than I did) and while he doesn't have stretch marks, he has loose skin on his stomach in the same way I do.

Honestly, just as most maintainers say, I would much rather be at this weight with loose skin than where I was before. It's a wonderful trade-off and while it means I can't have a career as a bikini model, it at least means I can feel wonderful in a fit body.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #20

S/C/G: 200/See Ticker/130

Height: 4"11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I'm someone who did everything that is always suggested. I drank lots of water, I lifted weights before, during, and after weight loss, lost at a healthy pace, in my early 20s...and I still have loose skin. And stretch marks. Lots of those.

It sucks, but I don't have all that much loose skin. It's tightened up in that it no longer hangs down off my abdomen unless I'm bending over, but I just think my skin is shredded from when I rapidly gained weight as a teenager. I can't really do much about it, but I think that lifting weights helped me avoid having more loose skin on my arms and legs at the very least.

I think it's partly genetics though. My teenage brother lost a lot of weight recently (I don't know how much, but he lost less than I did) and while he doesn't have stretch marks, he has loose skin on his stomach in the same way I do.

Honestly, just as most maintainers say, I would much rather be at this weight with loose skin than where I was before. It's a wonderful trade-off and while it means I can't have a career as a bikini model, it at least means I can feel wonderful in a fit body.
Wow! You have the same goal weight and start weight as me So you have lose skin huh, I always wanted to know if someone who lost 85 pounds- the same that I will, had it But I guess it depends on other factors...you did say that it lessened though right? My worst fear is that it will hang downwards

Short Term Goal:

Long Term Goal:
Krissypants29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:33 AM   #21

S/C/G: 200/See Ticker/130

Height: 4"11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
I agree. Just keep in mind that you don't know what end of the spectrum you'll fall on, so there's no need worrying about it before it happens (IF it happens).

The idea of having a lot of loose skin after weight loss is definitely disheartening. I just want to feel like I look good naked once in my life! Maybe I will. I hope I will. Or maybe I'll have loose skin and have to dress to cover it. Or maybe I'll be able to afford to surgically remove it, but feel self-conscious about the scars. But when I really think about it, I'd rather have scars or loose skin than stay big. When I was younger, my vanity was my #1 weight loss motivator. Over the last 5 or so years, it's really started taking a physical toll on me (particularly my knees). My #1 reason now, is not feeling so old and out of shape. I'm 27. I want to FEEL 27... whether I look good naked or not.
You are right, I should be grateful to have lost this amount and my upcoming amount..and surgery .. I dont think I can deal with that..so I would probably just tough it up or try and tone more..who knows..I guess we will see!

Short Term Goal:

Long Term Goal:
Krissypants29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #22

S/C/G: 258/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Well thats ridiculous, I get the point to lose weight is to become healthy and all but whats the point when most ppl dont like their image still!! Sure I would chose to be healthier than to have tight skin, but there has to be some way.
As a Health At Every Size Advocate, I ave never disliked my body. In fact, if I hadn't been able to love my body at its heaviest, I never would have been able to lose weight.

I worked out, cardio and lifting weights, the entire time I was losing and have no loose skin. I do have stretch marks, but I don't care.

Of course everyone is different, but I think health is as important as weight loss for other reasons, and exercise (for those who can do it) is extremely important for health, mood, etc.

JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:21 AM   #23
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Wow! You have the same goal weight and start weight as me So you have lose skin huh, I always wanted to know if someone who lost 85 pounds- the same that I will, had it But I guess it depends on other factors...you did say that it lessened though right? My worst fear is that it will hang downwards
I've actually lost somewhere north of 100lbs--I just don't know my starting weight. That's something to consider

I have loose skin, but I don't have anything that requires surgery (in that it's a health issue). It doesn't hang down when I stand up, but bending over it can hang off my abdomen. Doing planks is physically uncomfortable for me, but that's the only exercise I have trouble with. I need to make sure I wear compression pants if I'm doing high impact cardio to hold it all in.

I USED to have a little bit that hung down, but the skin has tightened up in the 1.5+ years since I hit goal. Other maintainers say the same--time helps the skin. I actually can wear low rise jeans now when I could not just a year ago at a slightly lower weight (my skin would hang over).

My body reminds me of a woman's who has had a very large child (or multiple children) in that the skin seems stretched out and unable to snap back fully. If I pinch it I can pull it outwards much more than someone else at my size normally would.

It really depends on so much. I have a good friend who lost around the same amount of weight and she has no loose skin on her abdomen but has more on her arms and legs than I do. She's a personal trainer right now, so she was no stranger to exercise!

I've also seen people who have lost 100lbs and look as if they never gained in the first place, so you don't really know until you get there.

As I said before: I'd much rather be where I am now with loose skin. It doesn't bother me all that much because of how much better I feel. I've considered surgery, but I decided that the $$ would be better spent buying my own place right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLess View Post
As a Health At Every Size Advocate, I ave never disliked my body. In fact, if I hadn't been able to love my body at its heaviest, I never would have been able to lose weight.

I worked out, cardio and lifting weights, the entire time I was losing and have no loose skin. I do have stretch marks, but I don't care.

Of course everyone is different, but I think health is as important as weight loss for other reasons, and exercise (for those who can do it) is extremely important for health, mood, etc.
I'm a HAES follower and it's also because of the movement that I was able to lose weight. I love most of the philosophies and have used it to encourage others to adopt healthier lifestyles.

Last edited by sontaikle : 08-15-2013 at 05:30 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #24
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/239/175

Height: 5'5"

I've lost 125lbs and definitely have lose skin. The elasticity of skin starts to decline after 30. I'll be 30 in 2 months. I suspect mine has probably bounced back as much as it will, unfortunately. I will probably have surgery post having children.

SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #25
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

I've lost 100+ and definitely have loose skin (I've always had stretch marks, so I don't know if I have more now). Worst is under my arms. You can see muscle definition in the upper part but I have some serious bat wings hanging underneath when I raise my arms. It is what it is. Took me awhile to see the loose skin as badges of honor for how far I've come but I at least feel comfortable wearing sleeveless shirts and dresses now

The Year of the Phoenix
be your own hero
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #26
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor Rose View Post
I've lost 100+ and definitely have loose skin (I've always had stretch marks, so I don't know if I have more now). Worst is under my arms. You can see muscle definition in the upper part but I have some serious bat wings hanging underneath when I raise my arms. It is what it is. Took me awhile to see the loose skin as badges of honor for how far I've come but I at least feel comfortable wearing sleeveless shirts and dresses now
Ugh bat wings! My son tells me I look like a flying squirrel!

I have only lost 50 lbs and have 130+ more to go....I suspect that it will get much worse...I never felt uncomfortable wearing sleeveless..now I do

Oh well. It is what it is, and hopefully the awesome insurance plan we have will pay for all of whatever surgery I will end up having.

Going to Hawaii Goal
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #27
Weight Watchers Fanatic

S/C/G: 238.8/178.4/163

Height: 5'9"

With weight loss comes loose skin. I'd rather be healthy with the loose skin then unhealthy on the verge of heart disease.

Gluten-free January 2014 WW Re-start February 2014- Not stopping until at goal!
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.