Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/See Ticker/130

Height: 4"11

Default Weigh yourself everyday?

Does anyone else weigh themselves everyday? I know we arent suppose to but I was just curious. And if not ... when do you weigh yourselves?
Krissypants29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I do daily just outta curiosity, LOL. First thing in the morning after going to the bathroom, no water or food.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/See Ticker/130

Height: 4"11

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
I do daily just outta curiosity, LOL. First thing in the morning after going to the bathroom, no water or food.
Yes me too
Krissypants29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

I was weighing myself once a week, but now I've started weighing myself daily because I like knowing what to expect. When I weight daily, if I see a gain, I'll make sure I really focus on staying on track, and it pushes me to go out and exercise. When I weighed myself weekly, I felt discouraged if there was very little loss, or even a gain, and I think to myself "at what point in the week did this happen?"

Some people are complete opposite, and don't like to see those fluctuations throughout the week, which is also understandable. For me, as long as the overall trend continues to go down, I'm happy
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 212.6/Ticker/137

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffinlovin View Post
Some people are complete opposite, and don't like to see those fluctuations throughout the week, which is also understandable.
That's me. I only weigh once a week right when I wake up after going to the bathroom. I feel like it keeps me working hard even when I'm on plan and not freak out over every little slip up. But that's still way more than the every few years that I used to weigh myself.
dehtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #6  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

I like weighing every day because I can go back over what I ate and see how it affected me.

Like "oh, I ate way more carbs yesterday than I usually do, that's why I've gone up a little bit" (seriously, carbs are insta water weight for me).
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

I weigh every morning right after properly disposing of used food and liquid. I also log my daily weight in a spread sheet and chart it. Believe it or not, it helps keep me calm.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #8  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

As far as "not supposed to" goes, in fact according to the research project called the National Weight Control Registry, a study of successful losers/maintainers, 75% of the success stories weigh themselves at least weekly: http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

Me, I weigh daily. That way, because I've gotten used to what daily fluctuations look like, I'm not in despair if my weekly loss isn't what I hoped it would be, or if I appear to have "gained" despite staying OP--because I know whether a "gain" is within the range of normal daily variation.

Like others, I also find this a first-thing-in-the-morning reminder that I have a goal for the day: to stay on program.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

I'm of two minds on the daily weighing thing (from experience):

1. Before I had any idea as to why I was gaining weight, I weighed myself every day and got terribly discouraged. I had NO IDEA why I was gaining. Turns out I went from an active to sedentary job and didn't change my eating habits. My bf suggested I weigh myself once a week, so that I could actually see some progress.

2. Now that I know what it takes to lose weight, I weigh myself daily to stay on track (and out of curiosity). This time, it doesn't discourage me because I know where the weight fluctuation is coming from.

So, as to the 'should/shouldn't' part, it really depends on what the number on the scale is going to do for your motivation. Don't do it if it'll put you in a bad mood and cause you to stop working out or eating healthy. Do it if you can deal with the number and go about your day.

*my two sense*
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #10  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

OT- Vortex I just wanted to say I really like your new avatar! Looking good!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I weigh myself every day - like the rest, first thing in the morning. I like to know what my normal fluctuations are & sometimes I even weigh in at various times in the day just out of curiosity. Daily weigh ins keeps me on track because if I see I'm not moving after a few days then I need to increase my exercise or change up what I'm eating. Also, I've learned that sometimes my body can go down a few lbs and then jump back up and if I only saw the once a week weight, then I might not see a lower number to keep as motivation.
chahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #12  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I was weighing myself every day. I also had a daily excel spreadsheet with a graph and trend line. If someone had seen all of my crazy weight tracking things they would have thought I was stalking someone. I was borderline, alright alright, I was 100% crazy with it.

I am going cold turkey from my scale, following (and trusting not only the plan, but also myself) Weight Watchers the way it's designed and weighing weekly.

I found I was getting extremely hard on myself when I was only losing .2 a days - which was crazy to stop and think about since that translates into -1.4 a week... It was much easier to weigh daily in the beginning when I was losing 3-4lbs a week, now that I'm only losing 1-2lbs a week it's detrimental for my attempts.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/175.3/TBD

Height: 5'2

I also find stepping on the scale daily helps keep me on track....I usually have good days that are followed by drops and bad days that are followed by gains. That is helpful to see for motivation. Also, sometimes weight can be fluky (gains from sodium)....if I knew I was down all week and then there is a sudden gain on weigh in day, I can know to attribute it to what I ate and then check to see if the weight gives back down in the day that follows. I think it is good to weigh daily to be more mindful of the connection between your habits and weight as long as you aren't getting depressed by the numbers, seriously restricting calories based on fluctuations, punishing yourself, feeling obsessive about it, etc

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

A srudy that reviewed the results of many weight loss studies found that daily weighers were more successful than weekly or monthly weighers, so the "not supposed to" argument goes out the window.

Weighing daily is discouraging only if you expect to see a daily loss. If you choose to accept and celebrate "not gaining," weighing daily becomes extremely encouraging and motivating.

How ofyen you weigh isn't as important as how you interpret the scale reading.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I weigh myself daily. I am not obsessed with my weight loss journey as it has almost taken me 4 years to lose almost 50 pounds. However, I weigh daily as I have figured out that I have a one-to-two pound wight range that I bounce back and forth on. If I go up three pounds, then I know that I've gained a little weight and have to revisit my eatding diary. For me, it is a good way to maintain my weight loss without gaining back the weight while I continue on my journey to reach my goal. Like 'straightahead', I find that weighing myself daily, keeps me on track! I really don't care that the studies have found. I find that this method works for me. To each, his own!
seaurchin is offline   Reply With Quote