Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #1  

Default Low Sugar, High Protein and WW?

Hey guys -

I've followed WW off and on throughout the years and had great success. However, I'd like to cut out most refined sugars and eat more paleo/primal. When I think of how the points system works, though, I have trouble seeing how I'd be able to stick within my points. A lot of paleo/primal foods are higher in fat and from what I know of how the points are calculated, it seems like those foods would be penalized, in favor of things that are higher in sugar.

I'm comparing something like scrambled eggs with a little bit of sausage, cooked in coconut oil, versus a yogurt, some fruit, and/or a whole wheat english muffin.. even though the second breakfast is way more sugar than I want to eat, it would end up being less points than the first breakfast.

Or am I wrong? Is it possible to combine paleo/primal and Weight Watchers, without having to severely limit how much I can eat?

Thanks!
Raidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #2  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Hey Rachel,

I actually eat a low sugar and high protein diet on WW. Most of my diet is natural and I try to steer clear of fake sugars, and most sugar in general (I only eat low sugar fruits (ie berries) and eat mostly organic.

The high sugar foods typically spike in points simply because high sugar usually comes high(er) carbs.

I eat 5'ish small (5-7 pt) meals a day.

I have usually a protein shake w/ unsweetened soy milk, unsweetened soy protein powder, spinach, chia seeds and berries. Later I have plain greek yogurt (because it's so much lower in sugar) with a teaspoon of agave and oats/walnuts. My lunch is a huge mixed green salad with chicken, beets, palm of hearts, banana peppers, artichoke hearts and oil/vinegar. My PM snack is usually veggies, maybe a rice cake or two and hummus or cheese. Dinner is protein (roast chicken), whole grain (barley, buckwheat, etc.) and a low carb veggie.

I eat this way for many reasons, but a big one is the sugar makes me hungry and I need high protein to feel my best.

But yes, for your breakfast I'd alter it by doing 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites and two slices of real bacon ( I love the Wright Applewood Bacon - they're big slices and 1pt/slice) I'd cook my eggs in cooking spray though. That breakfast would run me 5 points.

How many points in a day do you get?
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote