Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Default Why is it so hard?

I've tried countless times over the past year to get back on track only to fail. Once I got down to 150, I started feeling way too comfortable with myself and figured as long as I worked out, I could eat anything I wanted. I stopped tracking but kept working out and still do which is why I believe I haven't gained ALL of the weight back. Unfortunately I've managed to gain over 40lb back and each and every pound flew right back on at record speed!

I'm completely miserable and literally sitting here eating a 10 piece nugget and large fries while I type this. The only person I have to blame is myself.. For a while, I blamed the Zoloft I was put on back in August but the weeks I've managed to get back on track, I lost a few pounds so it can't be the medicine, IT'S ME!

I've actually pin pointed the time of day I want to binge eat and it's when my kiddos get home from school. I have three, 2 boys and a girl who is a teenager (Enough said). They fight and maybe I'm anticipating it, so I turn to food because it has a calming, euphoric effect.

This week I'm going to a support group for addicts through my Church. I feel a little silly going since I'm not addicted to drugs but food IS my drug of choice. I'm praying to God this helps and gets me back on the right track.

My husband and I are taking out kids to Kalahari next week and I am going to be so embarrassed wearing a bathing suit. The confidence I used to have has diminished.
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
... literally sitting here eating a 10 piece nugget and large fries while I type this...
OMG that could totally be me!!!

Just making the decision you have made to start getting back on plan is a victory - congratulations. Kudos to you also for keeping up with your exercise. I'd be willing to bet that once you get on an eating plan that works for you, your body will respond with some positive feedback fairly quickly.
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 272/see tracker/170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
This week I'm going to a support group for addicts through my Church. I feel a little silly going since I'm not addicted to drugs but food IS my drug of choice. I'm praying to God this helps and gets me back on the right track.
Food can be an addiction - I know because I'm a food addict, especially fast food. Its the only way I can "feel good" when I'm stressed, depressed or angry. I love the euphoric feeling I get from eating and Its hard for me to stay on track. I'm glad that you are recognizing your personal food triggers and seeking a support group. Hopefully that support will be the push you need to break these bad habits and feel better about yourself.
kireos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #4  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Food, and as pointed out, fast food can be addiction. the main reason I became a vegetarian was because it was the only way I could think of to quit cold: if I'm not allowed to eat beef or chicken then I can't go through the drive thru and binge on double cheeseburgers, tacos, fried chicken, nuggets, etc. (Of course, it's still easy to binge on, say, pasta, so it still took me awhile to figure out the balance)

Recognizing your triggers is also a very big step and super important. I've known you on this board for years and you know we're all here to support you!

Last edited by Tudor Rose; 02-26-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

I SO understand your pain. I've been eating healthy (sober) for 2 months now and it's a struggle. I feel like I'm going to binge (relapse) in any second! Fast food is my weakness! Reading about you eating nuggets and fries makes me JEALOUS! Lol that's how bad it is. Food is definitely an addiction.

Good thing is you recognize it (as everyone else said) and you want better. Plus you're taking steps to get better. You lost it before and you'll do it again. But yes, unfortunately, it is a struggle for many of us.
lsrlosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #6  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Sending you a pm!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #7  
Come on, skinny love

S/C/G: 290/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

When you are trying to break any addiction, I think breaking your habits is a good step. Good work on identifying your problem area! Now break it! If you know you want to eat when the kids get home, then eat something healthy right BEFORE they get home, then leave for a walk before they come in the door. If one is a teenager, they can surely fend for themselves for 30 minutes. Let them get their hellos and fighting out of the way, then you come back in refreshed and ready to take them on, and NOT HUNGRY because you had a power snack before your walk.
Veneficae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #8  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficae View Post
If you know you want to eat when the kids get home, then eat something healthy right BEFORE they get home, then leave for a walk before they come in the door. If one is a teenager, they can surely fend for themselves for 30 minutes. Let them get their hellos and fighting out of the way, then you come back in refreshed and ready to take them on, and NOT HUNGRY because you had a power snack before your walk.
Oh! The idea of going for a walk is fabulous.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #9  
Less of a Better Me

I have been struggling to get back on track myself. I look at how much I've gained (more than is in my signature, alas) and am so mad at myself for gaining the weight since it was so hard to lose. I had lost not as much as you (I had lost almost 50 pounds) but then gained back 30.

I had reasons for it. About a year ago we moved and there was a lot of driving around while looking for houses and then stress with moving. So that was worth 10 pounds. Then another 10 when I was focused on settling in to the new area. Then a couple of months ago we had some new flooring put down in the house and the kitchen was torn up for 3 weeks so we ate out all the time. Another 10 pounds.

What is common to all of these is that I was under stress and I didn't make weight loss a priority. The last couple of months I've started each week planning to be on track and then we go out to eat or I get hungry and then I eat what I want instead of what is better for my weight loss. The reality is that I am not prioritizing eating according to program. And, when I don't do that then I gain weight. End of story.

For me, the most important thing for me getting back into it is to go back to where I was where for a solid year I stayed within my points every week. I did go weigh in last week and feel that - for me - attending meetings is very important.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #10  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

I'm in a 12 step program for compulsive overeaters so that doesn't sound silly to me at all. The only way that I was successfully able to stop my binges was to cut sugar completely out of my diet. Now I just say, "I don't eat that".

Anyway, I think that it's awesome that you're taking steps to get control back and I wish you the best of luck.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 207.4/178/145

Alcoholics needs to obtain from drinking. Food is our drug but how do we obtain from eating?! It's all craziness, you know? Sounds like you are pin pointing where things go a little haywire; I hope you can find a plan of action to help with those moments of binging. Are you a member of WW online or do you go to meetings? I think that support group through your church sounds like a great idea. I certainly wish you all the best. <3
FitHourglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 297/287/140

Height: 5'6

ChickieBoom: Where did you find the 12 step program for overeaters?

KimberlyP: You aren't alone, we are all here with you. Hugs. I hope you find your strength. I know its hard battling this demon.

Roxanne
roxannestags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #13  
Less of a Better Me

I went and changed my ticker to show my true current weight. When I see that and see how close I had been (161 at my lowest) I get so angry with myself. I basically lost 2 years. The year I spent losing that weight and the year that I spent regaining....

Yet, I know that if I keep dwelling on that negative it won't help me. I either keep sliding downhill or I move forward. It is important to look at what I can do something about (the future) rather than what I can't do anything about (the past).
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsrlosing View Post
...Fast food is my weakness! Reading about you eating nuggets and fries makes me JEALOUS! Lol that's how bad it is. Food is definitely an addiction...
Ugh...fast food is mine too. That dollar menu was going to be the death of me.
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 219/ticker/118

Mcnuggets and fries are my weakness. Even knowing they are made of bio-engineered various chicken parts does not deter me from eating them, lol. Honestly I know some people are saying to cut some foods cold turkey but that never worked for me. The more I felt like I couldnt have something, the more deprived I felt and wanted it all the more. Maybe setting days or times where you will allow yourself treats would work, but I definitely agree that the emotional eating needs to be addressed. I have that problem too.
candykisses is offline   Reply With Quote