Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/check slider/198

Height: 5'4''

Default How much fruit is too much???

One of the things I love about WW is the all you can eat fruit concept. Although Im only 3 weeks in so Im not sure if thats really true. I try not to eat bananas but I do eat like a whole cantaloupe or a whole papaya almost every day. How much do you guys eat and still loose?
skinnyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

I think the answer to this is going to be different for every single person. It's only my second week back for this go around, but the first time I did WW I ate similar to what I've been eating the last week and a half:
1 serving strawberries w/ breakfast
1 banana as morning snack
1 serving blueberries as afternoon snack
1 serving pineapple as after dinner snack

If I am hungry after I'm out of points, I'll usually reach for fruit. So basically I eat anywhere from 3 to 5 servings of fruit. Like I said, when I was on this before (1.5 years ago?) I was eating that much and still losing. And I lost 4.8 lbs for my first weigh in this time.

I don't think they advertise it as all you can eat fruit, though. I think they want you to still measure and still start with a serving. If you are still hungry, maybe have another serving. My leader said "none of us got fat by eating too much fruit" which is absolutely true, but fruit still has calories, so it could definitely stall your weight loss. As long as you are losing, great! If you stall, maybe reevaluate how much fruit you are eating?
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #3  
Loving Simply Filling

S/C/G: 195/161.4/164

Height: 5'8"

I also like to point free eating of fruit. I use it as a go too when I am hungry and do not have points to use. My leader said that having 8-9 servings is ok but going to 12-16 is not going to help your weight loss. But I think this is different for everyone. Especially as we get closer to our goal weight, I can see eating too many fruits (more then the recommended servings) as being an issue to losing weight. I think we really need to be careful with smoothies, I know I can easily drink 3-4 servings in a smoothie. I try to have 2 servings of veggies and then 3 fruits but if I am hungry I go to fruits.
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/175.3/TBD

Height: 5'2

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...108831&sc=3002
This WW article speaks a little to the question without giving a solid answer. I do agree with the other responses here...it is individualized and about what works. And if you find yourself not losing weight, maybe that could suggest cutting down on fruit. I tend to eat a piece of fruit for breakfast, one for a midday snack, and maybe one in the evening for dessert. So an average of 3 servings. I try to pick green veggies and carrots over fruit unless I am needing something sweet (and my goal is to eat more servings of veggies than fruit each day)

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #5  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

It's not all you can eat fruit. WW recommends 3-5 servings combined fruits and veggies a day. Also, be aware that a serving is 1/2 cup, so something like a banana or larger apple or orange is 2 servings all on its own. Fruit might be zero points but it still has calories and sugar.

That being said, how much a person can eat without it affecting the scale is going to be different from person to person.

Last edited by Tudor Rose; 02-24-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #6  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

My WW leader says eat until you're satisfied when it comes to fruit. There is no magic number.

I eat probably 3-5 servings of fruit a day. I have a banana with breakfast, an apple mid morning, something with lunch and sometimes in the afternoon.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

WW recommendation is 5-9 servings a day. (1/2 cup servings for all except leafy greens, which is 1 cup)
It can hurt you when you are filling up on the 0p+ fruits and veggies and neglecting the rest of your Good Health Guidlines. Fruits and veggies are great, but they do not provide all the nutrients that you need to lose the weight and keep it off long term. It's about making sustainable changes we can live with for the rest of our lives, so you have to focus on balance during your meals.
Keli10801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/check slider/198

Height: 5'4''

Thanks all for the great feedback. I guess we haven't gotten to the talk about fruit at the meetings. I thought fruit was "as much as you like" I didn't know it was 5-9 servings. There is such a learning curve at first. Just trying to figure out what works for you. Im still loosing with a cantaloupe/papaya a day but my online ww says im loosing 1.5 avg. I would like to be on the 2lb/week avg. I might have to cut back on the fruit. I also try and eat alot of veggies. I might be going over my servings and since I don't log fruit or veggies that i know are 0 points I dont know how much I eat. guess I should start logging those too. thanks for your advice!!
skinnyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #9  

Since I naturally will reach for fruit before veggies (personal preference), I make myself have at least one serving of veggies per serving of fruit.

I usually don't go over the 5 servings of fruit/veg daily, but if I do, I keep them even.

I never allow myself more than one banana per day.
miracleinprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #10  

I try not to eat no more than 2 servings of fruit a day.
April1286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278.4/see siggy/178.4

Height: 5'6"

The sugar in fruit can create cravings for me so I try to limit my daily intake to no more than 2-3 servings.

For me the 1st serving is a 0 pointer but everything after that is 1 point. I get about 5-7 servings of fruits & veggies daily so I know that is in excess of the target 3-5, thus the added points.
gooch100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/274.0/150.0

Height: 5'3

My leader's mantra with most things is that you have to let your weight loss be your guide. I say keep doing what you're doing until you start stalling, then you may have to reconsider your eating plan. Another thing you could do is track calories and points for a day so see where your calorie count is.
trailerprincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #13  
Susanjean

S/C/G: 186/170/130

Height: 5'2

Default Too much fruit?

I try to eat 3-4 servings of fruit daily,as banana's count as 2 servings. Also,when I put blueberries in my oatmeal,a serving size is 1/4 cup. Vegies are fairly unlimited to me,except for corn,peas and potatoes. I make sure to get a lean protein at almost every meal,as I have found it helps calm my hunger down. Like others have said,you have to find what works for you. My leader told me avocado was not a power food,but I eat 1/4 of one on my salad,and it is a very healthy fat,which also helps one lose weight. This works for me,now if the darn snow will go away,so I can start walking. I am going to attempt walking today,despite it,since it is sunny. Best to all on this weight loss journey.
susanjean is offline   Reply With Quote