Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Default Zoloft (Sertraline)

Hey! hey!

Just curious is anyone taking this particular medication and have you experienced weight gain/loss?

I've been taking it for 3 months and have gained 30lbs. Not sure if it's because of the medication OR my poor eating habits these past few months. I exercise every single day and do 3 classes - Spin, Kickboxing, and Zumba. I burn between 2,000 and 3,000 calories so I'm thinking it may be the Zoloft.

I want to go off but I can't =( My anxiety is finally under control and my quality of life has improved so much.
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #2  
baybejoey

S/C/G: 205/200/120

Height: 5'1"

I am on this medicine..a low dose, but I have noticed that I have gained weight since beginning this medicine. However, it is fantastic and has really helped control my anxiety. Good Luck with your journey. I am starting mine today..I am at 200 and have an initial goal of 150 lbs and a final weight of 120lbs. I am hoping this is realistic..I just need help lol..I have 2 kiddos 7 and 2, and at 31 yrs old I need to get into better health for them!
baybejoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

I absolutely LOVE this medication! My anxiety was SO bad and I suffered for so long. Zoloft has given me my sanity back and I can spend my days NOT being afraid. I have OCD and suffer from the obsessive intrusive thoughts, most are not very pleasant.

I had a 115lb loss last year and my lowest was 149 from 267. My goal is also 150lbs, some say I look too thin but I think that number is within a good range for my height.

We have a couple thing in common! I have 3 kiddos - 14, 9, and 7. I'm 32! Yay! We can do this!
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #4  

When I was on it, I gained weight.
Terri S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 313/215/175

Height: 5'7"

I was on Zoloft for a year and I gained 100 pounds during that year. I weighed 230 when I started the Zoloft for depression and although it did help me feel better, I actually couldn't feel ANYTHING, no tears, no laughs. I stopped the medicine at 330 lbs. Now, for anxiety, I use Xanax as needed. I may take one a week or one pill a month, just depends. Sorry to hear that you've gained weight.

I found that Wellbutrin was also a good med for me, I actually felt better on it, than zoloft, but I was allergic to it, it gave me hives.
GinnyCarinhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

I'm on it and I haven't gained weight. In fact, my doctor just bumped my dosage up by 50% and I've lost weight since then. That could be due to the fact that it made me jittery at first (I have a follow-up appointment to discuss this), or just that it made me not want to just sit and do nothing all day because now it's an effective dose.

BUT, I know it isn't uncommon to gain weight on anti-depressants. Personally, I have trouble with birth control while I know a lot of people are fine on that.

Have you talked to your doctor about this? Oh, and there is a sub-forum here for trying to lose weight with depression. You might get some good advice posting there.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #7  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Most anti depressants i think cause weight gain. I had mentioned thAt to my nurse practitioner so she put me on wellbutrin. That was years ago, and I lost over 50 lbs during that time, with healthy diet and exercise. Because of lack of health insurance I have been going at depression without meds. I think my vitamins especially the flax, calcium and omegas have helped. I still have some downs but generally I think I am doing good. Knock on wood. Also due to my vitamins I have not had cramps during Tom since religiously taking them for 3 months.
I took Zoloft a few years ago but I think it made me shakier than usual. I tend to shake when out in public. I wonder if people think I am a crack addict.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote