Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/255/165

Height: 5'4

Default How do you deal with a weight gain??

Hi everyone, for those of you that dont know me, my name is Felicia, I have started my weight loss journey about a month ago, I decided to try WW online for the first time.

I am tracking my weight once a week and Mondays are my weigh in days. Well I got on the scale and I gained 2 lbs. The last few days were hard for me as I started to deal with cravings. The first few weeks were fine but man oh man, for some reason I was craving everything bad lately, and I admit I gave in to some not so healthy foods. I had a 3 pack of Ferrero Rocher chocolates (my weakness!!) I also had 2 slices of pizza. (After I already had my dinner)

How do you guys deal with a weight gain? 2lbs might not seem so bad but I just want to get out of the 240's sooo bad. Last week I was at 241.
Well the only thing I can do is crack down and get back to business. I am hoping to lose 5 lbs by next Monday...

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated
Felicia86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Height: 5'2"

Weight fluctuates a lot, so the 2 pound gain is most likely water retention, so I would start with drinking plenty of water.
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #3  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Like Rosa said, my weight can go up 2 pounds from day to day. I have an official weigh-in once a week, but I weigh myself every day because I am curious. At first, the daily fluctuations used to bother me. But with time, I have grown to understand that all that really matters is what happens from week to week. Don't let the scale rule you! Take control! Otherwise, it can drive you mad.

Now, you said you had a hard week because of cravings. I am sure everybody eventually has a lapse. The key is to put that in the past, not beat yourself up over it, and get back on track. Treat each day as its own challenge and then just get through that day. Don't worry about what you did yesterday, and don't worry about what you will do tomorrow -- or the future in general (unless you have to plan for something specific, like a night out, a trip, etc.)
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #4  

Thanks ladies, I have been drinking water a lot, I never really was a fan of soda or juices so drinking water for me is normal.
I'm taking this past week as a lesson learned and keep going forward. One of the reasons why I like weighin in on Mondays is because if I get off track I have a whole new week to start fresh.
Also need to start adding some sort of exercise in the mix. I'm always nervous with that though just because I am so out of shape I get tired so quickly, I wanted to lose a little bit more weight before I got back into working out but maybe that's what I need.

By the way, both of you ladies have lots a good amount of weight so far, congrats! how long did it take you?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Don't let your weight deter you from working out. You don't have to go hardcore but just incorporate something in your lifestyle. At about 290 I was walking and doing Walk Away the Pounds DVDs, which I highly suggest. You can do low impact workouts. And you don't have to work out for an hour even 15 minutes to start will make a difference.

Also weight fluctuates. Sometimes, for no reason at all (at least that is what it feels like). Please don't be discouraged!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #6  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Just remember that every meal and every day is another chance to get it right. I had that happen to me just a few weeks ago -- I know I was fine on food and exercise but still the scale went up. You just make sure to not let it derail you and keep going!

Having another focus besides the actual weight loss helps, too, because sometimes the scale isn't our friend, but if we have another goal to track we won't be upset when that sort of thing happens. Fitness is great for this sort of thing, 'cause on the week when I went up I was able to say I ran so many miles that week and it helped put things in perspective. The number on the scale is only one very small part of this journey
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

How do I deal with a gain? I pout for a bit. Then I write about it. Then I clamber back up on the wagon.

Last edited by Garnet2727; 10-22-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #8  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

I go out and walk a few miles
or run if I feel like it.
by the time you come home, at least 1lb of water gone.
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #9  

You guys are awesome! I'm glad I asked this question, it's good to know I'm not alone in this and that I can (and will) get past this!

By the way I'm just getting home from work; today went great overall I am happy with my meal choices, tomorrow morning I plan on getting my 10 minute trainer DVDs out and put them to use once again..
Old 10-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/217/150

Height: 5'4"

For exercise, just even start with a walk around the block and slowly increase your distance and speed. As for a gain, I also pout and then buckle down, maybe I had too many treats that week - even if they fit into my points, doesn't mean they are good for me! Good luck, don't get discouraged!
JenB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 208/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5 1/2

First I feel bummed about it, then scolding myself for not resisting temptation and after I get over it I smile and move forward. Been there so many times but hey that's journey of loosing weight. Ups and downs but by keeping movtivated and seeing a weight loss is fullfilling. So dont be discourage we are all here to cheer one another
myfavisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:16 AM   #12  

Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice and encouragement. I am looking forward to this week as I've done pretty well so far.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicia86 View Post
Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice and encouragement. I am looking forward to this week as I've done pretty well so far.
My leader lost 122 lbs, but it took her awhile. She said always write in your journal everything you ate that day. She used a word, I want to say theraputic, but that's not it.
dosbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #14  

yes it really has been helpful to write everything down, especially on the days where i ate bad i could go back and see what went wrong. its one of the cool things i really love about WW, it keeps you on check lol.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

When I get discouraged about a weight gain, I pull out the book that the lady at counter writes my weight in each week (I do live meetings) and i look at my overall progress which always makes me feel better. I think about what I've eaten that cause water retention - one week I was up 10.5 lbs - but knew that between the Chinese food and the Mexican food I'd had that week, I was full of salt which of course retains water. The next week I was down 11.2 lbs.

Weight loss is a roller coaster, pretty much like the rest of life is. You don't throw in the towel on your job, relationships, family etc because you had one bad day with them. Ditto with weight loss. You take the knock on the chin, then look in the mirror and tell yourself you can DO THIS!!!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote