Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 08:02 PM   #1  
Find a Way

Default In it For The Long Run, #14

Thought I'd start another thread, but forgot to check out how we are supposed to introduce ourselves. Oh well.

Lots o' love and support for those of us with a long journey. All are welcome.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:10 PM   #2  
Find a Way

Figured since we were on page 3 maybe it was time to start another thread. Don't forget to check out page 3 on the last one, Mandy introduced herself there.

Mandy - glad you decided to join us. You'll find I like using colors, . It does suck having the weight being blamed for everything, knowing that it's fixable, but still having a hard time doing it. Argh. But hang in there and keep coming to this board and we will get to goal!!

Jenanne - Way to go on avoiding the cheesecake, that is awesome. Sounds like you'll be glad to get home.

- I "raced" in a 7K today - Runnin' of the Green!!! I entered it, trained for it, and was able to do it in the time I wanted. My goal was to complete it in 60 minutes or less, and my time was 57:43!!!! It was a great achievement for me because of an earlier failure. A few years ago I entered the Steamboat Springs 10K with good intentions. I was going to eat well, train, etc., but I didn't. Day of the race and I went ahead and did it, but felt horrible the whole way and came in almost dead last. This time I was near the front of the walking crowd, a much nicer place to be. It felt good to have that extra spurt of energy at the end to really go for it. Can't wait for the next one, .

Hope everyone had a good weekend, take care.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies!

Not much time this morning. I made myself get up at 5:15 so that I could exercise. I managed to get in one mile of the WATP and then 20 minutues on the airdyne. Can I just whine about how hard it is to get the body energized at that time of the morning?? But I did it and now feel great. I'll try for another 40 mintues of exercise tonight.

The scale hates me and I hate it. Its that pre-TOM time so its time to be bloaty and cranky. This month, I indend to exercise more intensely and drink lots and lots of water. On Saturday, I had a sinus/hormone? headache where I both felt nauseaus and hungry all day long. Yesterday, we took SS/SDIL out to lunch and they wanted chinese. It just wasn't a great food weekend - BUT I will have to give myself credit for limiting my portions. At least I did that!

Mandy - Hello!!

Cynthia - What a great feeling you must have after your accomplishment. You are definitely "finding a way" to make fitness your way of life. Such an inspiration to us all. I am so excited for you.

Jen - Can't wait to hear more about your weekend. Sounds like they kept you really busy. What a smart chick for requesting the special food. for you too!

J-Ann - Doing okay?

Got to run. Have a great OP Monday! Tonight I'll make time for more proper replies.

Old 03-17-2003, 06:14 PM   #4  

Lightbulb

Hey there, just checking in.
Boy what an energetic bunch. I managed a 60 minute slow pace walk and 20 at Curves today. But it felt good to get out there again. It's been 5 months since I did any kind of formal exercise. And I so need this. I realize how outta shape I am. It was a struggle today. My back is still a problem. I hurt it at work last summer. And of course the weight is basically preventing it from getting better, according to everyone. I feel like telling them all to But I won't I'll just prove to them all that I can accomplish my goal of good health and wellbeing.
I'm officially re-joining ww on Thursday. I weighed myself at the gym and I'm 255. So I'm a little less than I thought. But ww may have something to say about that.
Anyhow I love reading your posts. And they have inspired me to get out there again tomorrow.

Thanx you guys.

mandymc

I almost forgot
Happy St Paddy's day

Last edited by mandymc; 03-17-2003 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:34 AM   #5  

Good morning!

I'm not quite as energetic this morning. I didn't jump up and do a bunch of cardio exercise. I think I have a touch of spring allergy listlessness. That is always hard to combat and maintain my exercise enthusiasm.

Yesterday, I did good with food. I journalled and was careful about staying within my point range. I also got in a good amount of water too - and peed many many times. I did do 30 minutes of exercise last night - took the dog for a walk and spent some time on the spinner. Not quite what I thought I would do - but I still call it a success because its better than nothing!

Mandy - Yes, for me, the only way to make the scale move is with lots of exercise. Sometimes its really hard to get in enough and still take care of job and house responsibilities - and enjoy myself occassionally too. Good for you for getting out for a walk and to Curves. Do you have specific exercises to help strengthen your back? Is it your lower back that's a problem? Mine is acting a little finky this morning - need to stretch the muscles more than I have been. Be careful!

Time to get away from the computer and off to work. Have a great OP day!
Old 03-18-2003, 08:39 AM   #6  

Good morning!

The weekend went as well as it could, foodwise. There was definitely a LOT of walking involved - so that'll help. I skipped dessert all weekend until Sunday lunch when I had 1/2 a slice of carrot cake (and scraped off the icing). It was yummy.

This week is a catch-up week for me. Being gone, even just for three days, throws my whole work schedule off track by a bunch. We're also gearing up for our just-the-family Oscar party. I always serve low fat/healthy snacks during it - even when I'm not watching what I eat - so no dangers there really.

Dinner tonight: burgers and baked potato strips, I think.

Happy day to you all!
Old 03-19-2003, 09:45 PM   #7  
Find a Way

Hey all, I think there's about 3 feet of snow in my backyard. Definitely snowed in here in Denver and I don't think I'll be able to make my WW meeting tomorrow, so I'll just have to go on Friday. I really want the 16 week charm, if they are still giving them out, and I think I have about 5 more meetings to go to in order to earn it.

Even though the blizzard has brought the city to a standstill, I've been having a blast. Yesterday I took the xcountry skis out to the park and skied for a bit, and today DH and I snowshoed for over an hour in the same park. I plan to ski there again tomorrow. There were lots of people walking around today, mainly because no one was supposed to be driving and you could walk along the streets in the tire tracks. Just glad I have a spin bike and weight set at home since I can't get to the gym or do my regular walking.

Have a great day tomorrow, all.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:50 AM   #8  

Good morning!

Wow, 3 feet of snow! I hope that's not coming our way! We've been getting a light, cold rain. We so desperately need it so I won't complain. This will certainly make the grass start growing.

I've been doing well with the food. I've had a really blah week which I attribute to spring allergy and hormones. Every year, I always think I must have chronic fatigue syndrome because I get so listless, blue, and my muscles have no energy - exercise is a struggle. Then, poof, I'm all better. That's started already. But I have been slogging through it. I did do 20 minutes on the stationary bike this morning which made my arms feel like they would fall off - but I didn't give up. In spite of other hormone stuff going on, the scale did show that I'm down another pound - so I'm probably really down more than that once my body returns from PMS-land. Drinking extra water this week has really helped.

Everyone, have a geat OP day. : Linda & J-Ann - We miss you!
Old 03-21-2003, 07:29 AM   #9  

Good morning!

The past couple of days have been work, work, work (with some knitting).

Today is (ulp) weigh-in. I dread weigh-in even when I know I've done well. Ugh.

Also HIKING! Yay! Perhaps photos when we return. :-)

I hope you all are well. We're doing an Oscar party (for the four of us) on Sunday. Baked chips and FF dips, one peppermint patty (small - 1 pt) each, plus popcorn and (diet) sodas. I've printed ballots and am buying little prizes to give out for correct answers!

Happy day to you all!
Old 03-21-2003, 09:59 AM   #10  

Hi ladies, well I officially re-joined ww. And I'm 259.6# So I'm down from my highest of 268#. Well thank God for small mercies. Anyhow I got to Curves 3x this week. I'm going for a walk today. My back is still sore. I do have specific exercises for my back. In fact I went to 11 weeks of physiotherapy. It wasn't that helpful but it was an education. I really feel if I lost the weight it really would get better. I carry alot of abdominal weight, so in a sense it's like being pregnant all the time. And we all remember how are backs felt through those last few weeks of pregnancy.
I'm still trying to get use to the points again. The water is easy for me cause I love it anyway.
It's sounds like your all keeping busy. Our snow is finally melting. It has been a loooong winter up here. I'm even looking forward to the summer. Generally I dread it because of the less clothing factor.
See ya
mandymc

259.6/268/160
Old 03-22-2003, 06:43 PM   #11  

Weigh-in was a "downer" for me - down 1.5#. We left left off for a five + mile hike in the Smokies. It was lovely - but I, lamentably, forgot my camera. Perhaps next week. Hubby's plan is that we'll hike every Friday (and sometimes on other days) as we do a Friday "Date Day" anyway.

Our anniversary is Monday. Any suggestions for low-fat, low-point Greek food? I'm planning to cook so recipes would be most welcome!
Old 03-22-2003, 10:25 PM   #12  

Wink

Hi girls, just checking in. Nothing new, but struggling a bit, with food. What else. I find getting to the gym easier than curbing what I eat. I figure I'll get it gradually.
At work tonight, and it's one of my good friends last night. So of course we are having a good bye thing. Complete with chips, dip and Krispy cremes.
Anyhow to Jenanne think about it, by next week you'll be in a whole new decade. The 240's. I'm jealous.
see ya
mandymc
Old 03-23-2003, 08:56 AM   #13  

Hi ladies,

Its been a few days since I've posted - sorry for going AWOL. It was a tough week for me last week. Between hormones and allergies, I just felt blah and down all week. Then, I made myself go to WI and that really me off - not that I gained but that here I was several weeks later at the same weight. Especially after I had been working so hard at getting my exercise up and being in control. I am going to have to find a different weigh-in night because this leader is SO NOT a motivational person. Right before I weighed in, the lady in front of me was disappointed about her weigh-in and the leader is like "well the body does what it wants and we can't do anything about it, so just deal with it." She also has a terrible voice so it came off as really cold and sarcastic. When she said about the same thing to me, I was too mad to even stay for the meeting. Now, while what she may have said was all true; there was a better way to handle it. Especially since they are supposed to be motivational and supporting. Enough of the rant on that.

Friday night, I got a fit of determination and finished removing the wallpaper border in the masterbath. Two hours of standing in contortions with a steamer in one hand and scraper in the other. Only steamed my belly once! Now that its done, I can start painting as I've had the paint since last year. On Saturday, DH and I were at Bed, Bath & Beyond (greatest store ever!) and DH convinced me to buy the comforter ensemble I really want and not settle for anything cheaper. I had a 20% off coupon so I said "OKAY". This is the comforter set I fell in love with at Penney's back in January. Back then, I only could handle buying the border to put up in the bathroom and a pillow. I convinced myself to go with a less expensive tan comforter set - but having decided that, couldn't find anything I wanted that didn't look like it was for a teenagers room. No more shopping for me for awhile!

Today, I'm going to work on the computer and laundry this morning and then get outside this afternoon for yard work. I also vow to take the dog for a walk and do 20 minutes on the spinner sometime today.

Jen - Congrats on your loss!!! Good for you for that hike too. I still have a picture as my computer wallpaper that you posted last fall of the fall colors. I love that view! As far as Greek - how about gyros? I made some with chicken, lots of onion and tomato, used FF stuff for the cucumber sauce with just a smidge of the feta cheese. Or a feta cheese and tomato salad. I've also done a salad with romaine lettuce, feta cheese, few olives, FF italian dressing, and hunks of tomato to go with a roasted chicken. When roasting the chicken, I used a rub of cumin, ground red pepper, paprika, parsley and green onion. With a few green olives on the side. Not exactly fat-free, or low-fat with the feta or olives, however if done in small amounts, you get the Greek flavors.

Mandy - Good for you for rejoining WW. Tough weeks happen and we just have to find a way to hang in there and not throw in the food towel!! Exercise helps because it helps remind us what we're trying to accomplish. Just be sure to journal, journal, journal!

Cynthia, J-Ann, Linda - hope you're having a good weekend!

I better get busy or else I will still be sitting here this afternoon. Have a beatiful Lord's day!
Old 03-23-2003, 09:27 PM   #14  

Hi guys, at work again. I'm still trying to get on program with my points. I totally agree I need to start journaling. And I'm going to.
The warm weather starts tomorrow. And I feel those same old anxious feelings coming on. At least all winter I know I'm big but I can hide. I have lost all confidence in my looks, but at least I could hide. I dread the warm weather and am plagued with thoughts of what am I gonna wear. Although on a positive note last summer I switched to capri pants and t-shirts from Cotton Ginny. And I felt pretty stylish. At least I wasn't the only person at the pool wearing long pants. I really had hoped I would be IN the pool this year. But alas that is not to be. So I will shoot for next summer. I just hope by June I'm at least on the right track.
Anyhow sorry for the sob story. But I really feel you guys get it. Anyone else have some nice summer clothes suggestions for we over size 20 girls??

determined to succeed~ your leader sounds like a I totally agree that a motivational leader rules. I have a wonderful leader. In fact she lives across the street from me. She has lost 70# over 10 years now. And she has good and bad days like the rest of us. She shares it all. And she is really funny and very caring. We had another leader years ago, who was boooooring. She never smiled and looked thoroughly annoyed if you asked her a question. So we complained about her and got our new leader.
So good luck I hope you find the right leader.

take care
mandymc
259.6/268/160
Old 03-23-2003, 10:12 PM   #15  
Find a Way

Hey guys, sorry to be gone so long. Set up some new software - NutriBase IV - to track the food that DH and I are eating. It does a comprehensive breakdown of the nutrients and allows you to set some goals, including carb, protein, and fat compositions. Every so often I've been going into ketosis, which for me isn't good. I feel like crap and have no energy when that happens. Anyway, I think it will be good to really analyze what I'm eating to make sure things stay balanced. Plus I can show DH just what a pig he really is . He never believes me when I tell him he ate a lot of food.

Terri - adjusting to the seasons can be hard. DH has "winter hours". He needs a lot more sleep during this time of year, goes with the amount of light each day. And what's up with BB&B? Why do their coupons have expiration dates? They just send out more anyway, so why not make them good forever and just send out less - save paper!!!

Jenanne - your party sounds like a lot of fun. Went to one last night and am still tired. Of course part of that is because DH and I stayed up to watch the F1 race in Malaysia - started at about midnight ! Congrats on the loss, and sorry I don't have any low cal Greek recipes, darn it.

Mandy - good for you getting back to the meeting. Just take things one at a time and change what you can. You know how habits are!

Good night all - let's have a great OP week.
Closed Thread