Old 03-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #1  

Height: 5'11"

Default It's just not working!!!

For some reason, the Points Plus program just doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm a newbie, so I never tried the original Points program and don't know how that would have worked for me. I am beginning Week 4 and have only lost 7 pounds. Last week I didn't lose any, and this week I barely lost one pound. It is becoming so frustrating! I am a bigger girl, so I know that I should be losing more than this. To make matters worse, my sister, brother, and sister-in-law are also doing this with me. My sister (who weighs about 100lbs less than me) has already lost over 12 pounds in the same amount of time. My brother has lost almost 18 (although he is bigger than me), and my sis-in-law has lost about 10. What am I doing wrong?! I have been a calorie counter all of the other times I have dieted (except for Atkins and South Beach a couple times...not for me) and have lost a lot of weight doing that and have been much more successful. I feel like I am just eating too much on this program. I get 49 daily points and it feels like more than I need.

Normally, by now, I am beginning to feel lighter and my pants are looser, but I still feel like a chunk of lead and don't notice any difference. I don't know if my PCOS and Insulin Resistance are to blame, or if this program just isn't for me. I have been exercising and been sticking to plan, counting each point that goes in my mouth. I try to eat filling things that I would normally eat if I were counting calories. I also always try to make sure I get my 5 fruits and veggie servings and my 2 milk servings. What am I doing wrong?! Is anyone else having trouble losing with this program? I feel like a failure...I was so excited about this program, but my excitement and motivation are beginning to deminish. Help!
sparkleNshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I'm beginning week 8 and I haven't even hit 10 pounds yet. Personally, I feel that the weekly points are far too liberal... even though I always end up eating them. I'm trying to look at this as something that teaches me good strategies and skills. I've got another 100 pounds to lose and at this rate it will take me over 2 years. BUT even if that were the case (and I sure hope it isn't), it's better than not losing.

I try to see it as something that helps me not lose control. Because there has only been once since I started that I felt powerless in what I was eating. And I think that counts for something. I know I have to ramp it up.

Not sure where you fall on the spectrum, but maybe this is true for you as well. Personally, this is what I think would help me lose weight more consistently (maybe this will help you too):

-Limit fruits. They're "free" and all but the sugar and calories are still there. I need to limit to two a day, and get the rest in veggies- which is sad because I love fruit, and I don't really like veggies, but meh.

-Try eating only half my weekly points. Typically on weekends I'm looser on myself- and that usually amounts to two "free" meals. And honestly those meals take up probably half the weeklies each anyway. So if I could limit to just one...

-Focus on the eating more than the exercise. I am consistent with working out but that's really not imperative to what's going to make me lose the weight at this point. Worry about ramping up the exercise later.

I really do empathize with you and I hope the scale moves soon! Please don't be discouraged, you really are doing great, and sticking with it is the most important part.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #3  
Less of a Better Me

7 Pounds in 3 weeks is within the program goal of a loss of 1 to 2 pounds a week. Of course, that is an average and some weeks may have greater or lesser loss than others.

Are you eating weekly points? I find that if I eat very many weekly points then I don't lose. I usually eat some weekly points but try to eat them early in the week (mostly when I go out to eat).

It is really best not to compare your self with others. DH and I started at the same time. I've lost a little over 20 pounds...he has lost 49 and I follow the program more closely. I just tend to lose more slowing.

What are you eating for your 5 fruit/veggies a day. If you are eating, say, 5 bananas then that might be a problem.

Could you post a weeks worth of what you ate (including portions) so we can look at it? Also have you had your leader look at your tracker?
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #4  

I am transitioning from another weight loss program to WW. On the other program, I was tracking calories, so I am continuing to do so as I adjust to PointsPlus to help me keep the consistent calorie deficit that I need in order to lose weight.

You might consider tracking calories along with PP for the next week just to get an idea of what might be going on, and identify any areas in need of improvement. Strategies that "work the system" such as consuming PP bargains to save on PP or filling up on zero PP foods instead of eating foods with PP values can actually lead to consuming more calories than is optimal for weight loss.

Good luck to you!
thekoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I can see a few mistakes you are making with the plan already:

1. Thinking that 7 pounds in 3 weeks is nothing. If you had gained 7 pounds in 3 weeks would you be all "hey, that's cool, it's nothing"?

2. Believing that because you started this plan your weight will come off consistently and quickly in a straight downward fashion with no blips or stalls.

3. Comparing your weight loss to other people's.

4. Judging the plan after 4 weeks and thinking you will drop multiple pounds each week.

The plan is working. You are doing it right. Stick with it. And, most importantly, relax. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Don't burn out before you get out of the starting gate.

(also, you wrote, "normally, by now..." which I'm guessing means you've had past weight loss attempts where the weight came off faster. I'm going to further guess that the weight went back on. Maybe a slow and steady plan that you can stick with for life is what you need.)
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

i agree with seagirl.
You can never compare yourself, and 7lbs is phenomenal! GOOD JOB on that!
& if you think it doesnt work, you need to play with it. It works just a little differently for everyone. Some need to eat big chunks of their weekly points/AP to lose weight. Some cant eat any. Some people work out, some dont.

and we said not to compare yourself to others, but your brother is a man. They have stronger/better metabolisms, so he has an advantage, big or not.
Your sister might be eating healthier choices, whole grains, less fruit anything. There are too many things she could be doing differently to you; theres no point banging your head trying to figure out what shes doing differently.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Really, the most important thing you can do for yourself is to stop comparing yourself to other people. In all aspects of your life and especially in weight loss. Your body is different than everyone else's and will lose weight in a different pattern. As long as you are moving forward and not quitting you are not failing and it *is* working. Your average weight loss is 1.75 lbs a week which is awesome (and WW recommends 0.5-2 lbs per week and you are quite near to the top of that range).
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 216.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'4''

Well, as another woman with PCOS, I can tell you that weightloss on anything is going to be slow with your insulin resistance. I can't much doing traditional diets -- it has to be low carb for me. Not that you need to do that, I'm just saying that what you need to do is stick it out for a few more weeks and see what it is that you really don't like because 7lbs. really is a decent loss. I suggest this a lot, but why not try a food journal to write down and track what you are eating (carbs/cals/fat/etc.) and then write on the back of each journal page how you FEEL. You may see a pattern in how you feel and what your loss is. I know for me that I do Atkins, just not Induction. I just switched the TYPE of carbs, was writing everything down so I made sure not to go long periods without eating, and realized quickly that the reason I wasn't losing was because even though my cals were somewhat low, my carbs were still high enough that my insulin response was just too high. So, I kept cutting them back until I hit a point where I am steadily losing. And I don't feel deprived. You will have to do the same with any program you are on -- find a pattern that works. Right now, the program is working for you, just not as fast as you would like. So, write everything down and see where you could make some more adjustments. Maybe the types and amounts of veggies, less carby stuff like certain breads and fruits.... just tweak it a bit until you find a good fit. Good luck!
JustJ280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #9  

Height: 5'2"

I think that you need to adjust your thinking! Losing 7 pounds in four weeks is great, but most of all....healthy! I just rejoined WW after losing 27 pounds on the old "Points" program. I gained back most because of inactivity during some medical problems. That said, when I signed up again last week I had to adjust my mindset to a whole new points system. I struggled last week like crazy because I had to recalculate everything I ate.

I went this morning to my meeting expecting to find I had gained but was surprised and happy to find I had lost 2 lbs! I celebrate ANY amount lost and you should too!!!!!
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #10  

I agree with everything said. You are doing great! 7 lbs is AWESOME in less than a month!
toothlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #11  
One day at a time!!!

S/C/G: 211/*ticker*/TBD!

Height: 5'6

I think 7 pounds is wonderful! I also have PCOS and insulin resistance and have done WW for two weeks...... and I have lost .8! Yea, POINT 8! Not even a pound! lol But you know what?? Losing (or even maintaining!) is not gaining and that's good! I was very discouraged my first week and that's what my leader said: Look at it as PLUS or MINUS. Gain-plus....... lose or nothing- MINUS! Good luck and stick in there! I know i am!
linalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #12  
foodie on a diet!

S/C/G: 180.2/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I think 7 pounds in 4 weeks is awesome! Im down only about 8 pounds and this is my week 7 and that still makes me happy! Dont be discouraged. Losing a pound a week is great and your on your way!
uncontentgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #13  
Wishful shrinking

S/C/G: 266/235/160

Yes, 7 lbs in 3 weeks is excellent!
barbaramatafeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #14  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Hey you weigh 7 pounds less than you did 3 weeks ago ! Look at it that way

I like what seagirl said... I have to remember these things when I'm being hard or overdemanding on myself.

I have been on the new plan since it began and am only down 8 pounds. Each person is different. Be thankful for what you have done so far and go forward. In three more weeks, if you're down 7 more pounds, thats 14 POUNDS!! That's nothing to sniff at!
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm only 8 pounds down in 12 weeks on WW, and am pretty happy with that. In fact, i brag about it!
Scorpio1986 is offline   Reply With Quote