Old 03-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/257/175

Height: 5'10

Default Tips for staying on plan during life's unexpected curveballs

My son has been having serious stomach issues for the past few months and last week he was partially diagnosed with Chron's Disease. He was admitted to the hospital and discharged Friday. He is scheduled for an endoscopy and colonoscopy tomorrow, and as you can imagine, there is no such thing as a normal routine for either of us right now.

When we were in the hospital trying to get his symptoms under control, I came down with a sinus infection (when it rains it pours). My eating since last Wednesday has been sporadic and full of poor choices. Despite the pitfalls, my scale at home weighs me a few pounds lighter than it did last week (Weight Watchers weigh in is tomorrow---hoping to still make it to weigh in).

I haven't had the time to prepare healthy meals for myself, pack foods for on the go, or go grocery shopping for my "staples" that keep me in line. I'm not throwing in the towel, and I will press on without going completely off track.

In your own experiences, what has been the most helpful thing to keep you going when your normal routine is gone?

I'm lucky to have supportive parents who are helping me with Skyler so that I can keep up with my workouts...tonight I'll get to Zumba and I believe that will help me regain focus and relieve some built up stress. It's been a rough week.
TransformingToni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Sorry for all the problems you are having. I am not doing WW now but have in the past. I always keep a few things in my freezer for such occasions that you describe. Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice or WW Smart Ones are some ideas of things that you can have on hand as emergency rations.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Sounds like you and I have had the same issue, well almost.. Take care of your son and yourself for now, don't worry about being perfect or OP. Get back to it when you can just like I am. *Hugs*
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #4  

Glad your son got a diagnosis and hopefully now will get a treatment plan to help his Crohn's. My hubs has that too. He has been feeling better since I cut down on the fiber in his diet, eliminated all grainy, nutty, seeds in his carbs and no gassy type veggies like broccoli.

For busy days, I have a couple of quick meals that work for me.
1. Lean cuisine with a small salad or bun.
2. Individual portion sizes of shredded chicken in freezer bags, defrost one in microwave while preparing a quick salad to put chicken overtop.
3. Frozen lean burger, BBQ a patty and grill 1/2 a bun, smear BBQ sauce over bun and put burger overtop to eat open-face with a salad or fruit.
bcgal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #5  

The one thing I can control in any situation is what I eat. Life throws us curveballs all the time. You have to have a plan in place before they happen...maybe a few frozen dinners in the freeze from extras you prepared for dinner. Fruit, cheese sticks, cut up veggies ready to go.

Your weight may have a little increase when you get back to normal eating.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote