Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Angry I HATE my scale!

Morning Everyone

Once again I sit here frustrated because my home scale says I'm up and while I know this may be due to several different factors, I'm feeling discouraged. Wednesday I went out to eat at a place called Mexican Gardens and instead of playing it safe and ordering the fajitas, I ordered the chicken nachos, a small bowl of guacamole, flour chips, and ate way too many tortilla chips. I pretty much cleaned my plate and am ashamed to say that I still continued to eat even though I was stuffed. I left the restaurant feeling overstuffed and nauseated It has been a few months since I've had a serious binge and Wednesday really reminded me why I chose to change my life. I hated feeling like I was going to vomit at any moment because I decided to make a really bad decision.

Usually when this happens, my weight goes right back down after 2 or 3 solid days of tracking but it's staying right where it is at 171. Right now it's that TOM but almost over so I can't imagine I'm still retaining any water. It seems I have been stuck in the 170's for an eternity and if I was told my rate of loss would be stubborn the closer I got to goal, I probably would have quit already. Fortunately I have the will power to keep pushing on because I've come so far but I sit here frustrated beyond belief!

I could kick myself right now for making bad choices at the restaurant and while I only binge once every 4 or 5 months I'm asking myself if it's even worth it? I do it to prevent going through a plateau and so far it's worked, I haven't experienced a stall yet and it's been 13 months. I just hate feeling like I did and then to see my weight go up makes me really angry. I promised myself that I would NEVER let the number on my scale dictate my mood for the day but here I am having the worst day in the world and all because of a number.. Maybe I should go grab my scale and throw it in the garbage can outside, that way I stop weighing myself daily.

The good news is I plan on staying on track, I can't give up this far into the game. Just needed to rant a little and hopefully receive some feedback.

Last edited by KimberlyP; 02-25-2011 at 09:36 AM.
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

Before menopause my weight would fluctuate as much as 8 pounds in a single day!! One binge every few months isn't going to stop your weight loss - it might have slowed for a week or so, but if you keep on track it will keeping on going down. There was a really good thread on here somewhere about how water weight and the emptying fat cells effect each other temporarily - unrelated to the TOM. Hang in there - you are doing such an amazing job!
Tea Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #3  
Wishful shrinking

S/C/G: 266/235/160

Good to hear that you are not giving up. You are a huge motivater for me.
barbaramatafeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

Height: 5'6

Despite feeling full and yucky (which i hate too, not a nice feeling), I bet you enjoyed yourself. We have to let loose now and then or we will faulter even worse i am sure. Sodium is a funny thing, years ago no one cared about it so much, now its the "silent killer", it does such weird things to our bodies! My blood pressure sky rockets when i have too much sodium. So i take medications for my blood pressure. One of them is... a diuretic! in a way i am kinda glad i get to take those. Cause they certainly help me get the sodium out of my system and i pee like a maniac.

Do they have natural diuretics avail in the pharmacy stores? I dont know how good those are for you, but people have told me they feel better when they have taken them. I think they are just herbal blends to make you pee and flush out your system.
mercuryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaramatafeo View Post
and for me too!
mercuryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaramatafeo View Post
Thankyou
Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryblue View Post
Despite feeling full and yucky (which i hate too, not a nice feeling), I bet you enjoyed yourself. We have to let loose now and then or we will faulter even worse i am sure. Sodium is a funny thing, years ago no one cared about it so much, now its the "silent killer", it does such weird things to our bodies! My blood pressure sky rockets when i have too much sodium. So i take medications for my blood pressure. One of them is... a diuretic! in a way i am kinda glad i get to take those. Cause they certainly help me get the sodium out of my system and i pee like a maniac.

Do they have natural diuretics avail in the pharmacy stores? I dont know how good those are for you, but people have told me they feel better when they have taken them. I think they are just herbal blends to make you pee and flush out your system.
I'm pretty sure they sell an over the counter diuretic at Walmart, think I'll head there later and see what they have.

This really sucks!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryblue View Post
and for me too!
Thankyou
Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #9  

Just checked out Walmart online and they have an OTC diuretic called Diurex. Looked at the reviews and they were all good =D
Old 02-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Water is also a diuretic. Taking a diuretic to see a change on the scale can be a dangerous habit to get into, especially if you are doing it out of frustration. I'd just keep drinking water, look for some veggies that are natural diuretics and leave the drugs out of it.

"Well, I'll just take a little laxative to get things moving. No big deal..."

What's next?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #11  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
Water is also a diuretic. Taking a diuretic to see a change on the scale can be a dangerous habit to get into, especially if you are doing it out of frustration. I'd just keep drinking water, look for some veggies that are natural diuretics and leave the drugs out of it.

"Well, I'll just take a little laxative to get things moving. No big deal..."

What's next?

Not Necessarily true.

I retain water really bad sometimes...for no reason at all. I use OTC diruetics if it gets really bad. I also use the during TOM because I can't stand the bloating.

Just because you use them once in a while doesn't mean you're going to do it dangerously or start using Laxatives. Kim has done a fabulous job...and at this frustrating point if she needs a little boost...I don't think it's that bad of an idea.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #12  

I definately wouldn't use them all the time and solely for the purpose of losing weight. Fat isn't lost through taking a diuretic so there would be no need for me to take them on a daily basis. I would most likely only take them after that TOM which I'm going through right now. Being a licensed EMT, I studied Pharmacology and am still doing so as a Paramedic Student so I know and have studied a variety of drugs extensively. All medication and OTC drugs should be taken with great care with the exact time and dosage the box suggests.

Of course this isn't a long term remedy to the issue I'm having but it will temporarily help relieve the bloating and water retention I'm experiencing due to that TOM.

Last edited by KimberlyP; 02-25-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmel3283 View Post

Kim has done a fabulous job...and at this frustrating point if she needs a little boost...I don't think it's that bad of an idea.
Thankyou
Old 02-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

Hugs to you Kim, i know those days all too well. I've taken that and it's helped bloat, my fingers get really swollen daily even without much salt. They are not harmful if taken occasionally.
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #15  
Less of a Better Me

I personally would not recommend that you take a diuretic for this purpose since it is basically being done to improve results on the scale so can start a slippery slope.

Also, given the meal you ate on Wednesday presumably at lunch or dinner, it is a little unrealistic to expect to all be back to normal Friday morning. If you do that kind of meal once every few months it will all not matter in the end. If you do it every week you probably can't afford to do that as you get closer to goal weight.

I find that if I eat that kind of meal, particularly high sodium, it will take 3 or 4 days to get back where I was.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote