Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/257/175

Height: 5'10

Default I need help dealing with food-focused social events

Today was my first office party since beginning weight watchers. It was a superbowl tailgating party, and because our office is so small, there was no escape from partaking in the festivities.

I tried to prepare to the very best of my ability by bringing a weight watchers recipe (buffalo style stuffed celery) and turkey kielbasa in light sauce. I had a lunch box STUFFED with fruit and a nonfat yogurt but it was as though I went into autopilot as soon as I walked in the room.

Yeah, I ate the celery (which was fantastic, by the way) and the turkey kielbasa but I also went for the potato skins, artichoke dip, chocolate chip cookie cake, and this crazy saltine cracker candy brittle stuff. I did NOT use my head at all. I tried to keep portions super small, but I ended up going back for seconds (and then again for more artichoke dip!!!!!!). I know I used up my daily allowance, and I still have all of my weeklies at this point (probably not much left now) and almost 20 activity points saved up already for the new week but I do NOT feel good about myself right now. I'm feeling beat up, ashamed, sad, depressed. Like a failure. I know this isn't healthy to put these thoughts in auto-replay mode in my head. I am so new to this program that I am dealing with these situations one step at a time.

How do you prepare for these types of social, food-centered interactions? I have to do this all over again on Sunday at a Super Bowl party, but this experience really makes me want to stay at home and not even try it. I'm not feeling strong enough and I don't want to set my progress back any further than I already have. I know it's not possible (at least I hope not) but I literally 'FEEL' as though I gained 20 pounds at lunch. I feel fatter, bloated, heavier...gross. Jeez. I am regretting this so much.

H E L P!
TransformingToni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #2  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I am with you 100%. I have good intentions, and then the food is out there and I am caught in the moment....2000 calories later, I feel terrible.

I was just telling in another thread that i am so relieved that my kids are busy this Sunday and we were able to decline all party invites.

I fear the social situations. I know what I SHOULD do, but I just can not follow through.

So, I am just avoiding all for now, and like you if I am forced to participate, I know I will slip; the only difference this time around; I WILL pick myself back up and focus on tomorrow and leave today and the mistake behind...
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #3  

That's exactly right! I'm going to pick myself up and move on from this and not beat myself up.

I'd still like to have the opportunity to go away this Sunday to watch the game with friends, I'd really appreciate some tips to help me manage the event.

I am going to hit the gym tonight to hopefully build up my activity points bank. I'll probably go tomorrow and Sunday as well.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Don't go to the party hungry. Try not to drink too much alcohol so you'll stay in control of your food intake. Drink plenty of water.

What I do is go to a party or wherever I am and *look* at everything there and decide what I really want out of the 'indulgences' category and then try to supplement with something better for me (fruit/veg/protein).

I think the important thing is to stay in the moment and be mindful of the food choices you're making. Don't just switch off and eat it all. Make choices based on your preferences and what looks best to you.

If you do slip up, forgive yourself. Move forward. Try to do better the next time. Talk to yourself like you would your best friend or someone you care about. We are so mean to ourselves sometimes and there's no reason for it.
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #5  
foodie on a diet!

S/C/G: 180.2/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

my parents throw an annual superbowl carne asada cookout and im actually looking forward to it. although i know that there are gonna be plenty of no-no foods there (some of which i am making because i am the "cook" of the family), i know there will be plenty of veggies, fruits and hummus, etc...and, yes, ill partake in the scrumptious carne asada but only in small portions...and ill drink PLENTY OF WATER!!!!

i also keep in mind that i have been eating great all week, working out and have all my activity and weekly points left and if i want a second small piece of carne asada or a small helping of my mom's spanish rice, i can splurge a little.

Last edited by uncontentgirl; 02-04-2011 at 03:56 PM.
uncontentgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Do you treat yourself to yummy food on a regular basis? Or was this the first time you were around "good" food since starting WW? I have something like pizza, sushi, a cupcake, beer, etc. at least once a week so that they are never forbidden and therefore I never *need* to eat them at a party, I can choose to or not since I know I'll see them again.

Maybe you were feeling deprived and overdid it. Can you find a recipe for some light artichoke dip or other "bad" foods that you can make once in a while so that you aren't in a now or never situation at a party?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #7  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Yes, definitely pick yourself up and move on! You had a bad day today, it happens. I agree with Spooky's post- lots of good tips there.

I am looking forward to SuperBowl Sunday and I get to "healthify" a few things like WW friendly jalapeno poppers, low point chili, homemade low fat ranch dressing as well as homemade hummus for the veggies, cranberry nut broccoli salad w/ ff mayo etc and maybe a fruit salad of some sort.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #8  

I think for me it is a "control" thing. When I'm bringing my own food, when I'm preparing my own meals I have absolute control over what I put in my mouth. When I am in a "party" situation and there are temptations around me, I succumb to them EVERY time. This has been my problem for me as long as I can remember. I always overindulge at holiday gatherings, work parties, etc. If there's a box of donuts brought in and they are sitting in an area where I pass by, I will have more than one. Easily. I just haven't been faced with this problem since I started Weight Watchers again before today. I don't want to eat the saltine cracker butter brittle, but because it's in my face and everyone else can have some, I want it too! But I can never stop at one....I think about it being there all day and I can't stop myself from going back for more and more. If I don't have the stuff around me I am fine. I do not go out looking for treats. I'm not tempted by the candy aisles in stores or gas stations.

I know there is a mentality behind this. It's really starting to freak me out the more I think about it and analyze it.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #9  

Dust yourself off and try again! I think most of us have issues at these types of events. I usually use some (or all) of my weeklies. *shrugs* It definitely is a mentality thing hon. Try not to let the guilt get to you. I tended to do that, but am getting better at not feeling guilty. Remember life happens.
Rarr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #10  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

You're not alone! This is something I have to consciously pay attention to when I am at parties. It is way too easy to go into auto-pilot mode (when I don't think about points or servings until I get home and then feel like crap) or entitlement mode (everyone else is having it, so why can't I?). So, I prepare myself by not going in hungry, bringing healthy options and scouting out the other ones there, budget the points in for a little extra indulging if I choose, and lots and lots of mental pep talk.

We're going to a Superbowl party and although I'm a little anxious, I have to believe that I am stronger than any food.

Maybe those of us who struggle with eating at social events can agree to report in here after the Superbowl game/parties with how we did? The accountability might help, too!

Last edited by LitChick; 02-05-2011 at 08:25 AM.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #11  
Less of a Better Me

If something is super, super special I sometimes decide to just eat what I want and don't count points at all. Obviously this is not something that I can do often, maybe once or twice a year while losing weight.

If it doesn't really matter that much and isn't tempting then I use all the strategies to stay on program, stay a minimal amount of time and just stay on program.

If I can't/don't want to do either of those then, frankly, I just avoid the situation and don't go. Right now, losing weight is really important to me. There is no way I would go to a Super Bowl party. It would be too difficult but isn't special enough that I want to just eat what I want since that would mean I couldn't do that for something more special. So, me? I just wouldn't go at all.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #12  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitChick View Post

Maybe those of us who struggle with this can agree to report in here after the game/parties with how we did? The accountability might help, too!
Ok, after re-reading a few times, I'm up for that!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #13  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Ok, after re-reading a few times, I'm up for that!
Haha, yeah, I can see how that could be a bit confusing the way I wrote it. I've edited the original post to clarify!
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #14  

I cope by having points left to splurge so I can tweak my eating like seagirl--I can plan a higher point meal, snack or party etc, without guilt and under my control.

My most effective coping strategy is making sure my plate is more than half full of zero point stuff. (fruits and raw veggies, salad etc) that I have to eat before going back for seconds. I have to also get seconds on the raw veggies (over half the plate again) and eat every bit before having anything else. That is the deal I make with myself, and I actually get too full to eat and know it, unlike when I am on a mindless graze fueled by junk-- then I still feel hungry even when I have had enough calories to choke a rhino!! Second, I always use a small or at least smaller plate.

I have found that these strategies seem to give me control. In the past I just dove into the goodies, taking extras on the ones with the most sugar, fat and white flour in proportions way out of whack. ( I recognize that saltine/almond/chocolate/toffee/buttery candy-- it is all my addiction triggers rolled into one-- and what I used to make for Christmas presents using ritz)

I still have to avoid my triggers, but can eat a small portion of most things using my vegetable strategy. I hope you can find what works for you.

And, if you have all those points left you're still okay....dust yourself off, you can do this!
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 240ish/180/165

Height: 5'9"

I can completely relate to your situation---for me, parties/holidays = food. I think you did a great job preparing for the party in terms of bringing healthy food, but did you prepare mentally? I know it sounds kinda weird, but I think it is about re-training our brains to think of parties as a time to celebrate PEOPLE, not food. Maybe parties don't = food for you, but that is a huge problem for me. For now, I try to avoid parties as much as I can, but when I have to go, or really want to go, I talk to myself before-hand and clearly lay-out my game plan such as: I will have a 2-300 snack before I go to the party, I will NOT drink (lowers resolve and awareness), I will allow myself ONE small/regular sized dessert that I can't live without (I personally don't care about savory things too much).

Anyway, last week, I used all my AP's and WP's in one night. I felt terrible about it, but I just used it as a learning experience, so this week (I weigh in on Saturdays), I'm pre-planning my WP's so I spread them out more.

Also, you won't gain weight if you get right back on track Also, if you can get more AP's to off-set the total, I think that is awesome! You might want to try to re-hash how much you actually ate last night---appetizers are so calorie dense, so you may have gone well over your AP's and WP's, but no fear, you will make up those points

Last edited by sfree13; 02-05-2011 at 07:24 PM.
sfree13 is offline   Reply With Quote