Old 01-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #1  
Bye pre/post-preg pounds

S/C/G: 227/227/148

Height: 5.6

Default Points/Calculator questions

Hi everyone,

I’m thinking of joining Weight Watchers this week but am wondering about the new program. I did the old program on my own for a bit and found it pretty easy. Here is my concern about Propoints: There are more numbers to use to find the points of the food items. What I mean is that there was only Calories, Fat, Fiber and that was it. Now there are like five aren’t there? Doesn’t that make it more complicated? In the past, if I didn’t have my calculator with me, I had to remember 3 numbers before I was able to get to my online calculate now I’ll have to remember five? (I know I can write them down, but sometimes, I do not have a pen). My other question is: Is there another calculation to do because the calculator only calculates for 100 grams? If your serving is a 38 grams serving (ex. a granola bar) do you have to divide the number (points) the calculator give you? If you don’t, do you also have to include your portion size into the calculator? Is it a typical looking calculator or a paper slider?

I hope my questions are clear. I will go to a first meeting but would like to know before hand what to expect.

TIA
Bonnie
Gottadoit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

It's based on Fat, carb, protein and fiber.

Go to the meeting. Read the materials. Buy the calculator. Follow the plan.

It's awesome. You don't need to be prepared to go to the meeting. Just go. If you sign up for the monthly pass you get free access to the online etools. Then you aren't entering the different values you are just looking up "chicken thighs, 5 oz" or "Milk, 2%, one cup" and the points are calculated for you.

They also sell a book with most point values.

eating more whole foods and fewer packaged items makes it much easier to keep track.

So, get thee to a meeting! and good luck!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #3  
Less of a Better Me

You have to keep track of 4 numbers (or else have a calculator with you or an phone with a calculator app).

The calculator is not based upon 100g. The amount of points is based upon whatever the package says is a serving size. So if a serving is 38g then the calculator will calculate the points for that serving size. It is really no big deal.

The calculator that you can carry with you is calculator in a little case. It, well, to me looks sort of like a pack of birth control pills from the outside....
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #4  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

A quickie way that I've found to estimate Points Plus in my head is as follows.
**Note: this is not exact! It provides a close estimate!**
(3xFat + Protein + Carbs - Fiber) / 10

I find this useful for quick comparisons of food in the grocery store or on menus with NI.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #5  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Most food will give you how much per serving size, so you just use the numbers for fat, fiber, protein and carbs, into the calculator. If you have more than 1 serving size then you can calculate that in your head even and add it in.

The calculator actually comes with a very helpful info booklet on how to use it.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote