Old 11-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Unhappy Wanted to share this...

I was working in a Trauma Unit Friday and Saturday in Detroit and while I saw so much over the weekend, there is only one case that will forever be burned into my memory forever. I'm going to try and not get too graphic with details but I also think it's important to add a couple things to understand just how serious being obese can be.

My shift started at 3pm yesterday and as soon as I stepped foot through the double doors I was called to the Trauma Room where they needed help immediately. A severely obese woman (600lbs) was rushed by ambulance to the hospital because she had stopped breathing but still in fact had a pulse so we had to attempt CPR. Unfortunately we couldn't do chest compressions effectively and she passed away due to complications from being Morbidly Obese. While we cleaned her up after in order to transport we noticed a lot of sores which meant she must have been confined to her bed. There were a LOT of other things I could list also but they may be too graphic and I absolutely do not want to offend anyone here. She was only 55 and had many more years ahead of her to enjoy but her life was cut short tragically. We had to put her in a holding area and wait for her family to come before transporting to the morgue, the saddest thing, no family ever came.

I truly think this was a sign from above and that God must have wanted me to see this because if I hadn't changed, I may have been the one laying there. Not now, but perhaps in the near future. This has changed me forever and I'll never be able to get what I saw out of my mind for as long as I live. I apologize in advance if anyone was offended by this post.

Last edited by KimberlyP; 11-21-2010 at 05:35 PM.
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #2  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Wow! What an event to experience, Kimberly. I have never known anyone that was 600 pounds, but I could imagine how bedridden this person would have been.

I was told that even being at my starting weight could cause complications if I had to do surgery for taking out my appendix or other minor surgeries. That woman is dead because of her weight..damn. What a wake up call.

I remember reading about this woman who wanted to see how much weight she could gain and become the fattest woman in the world. She wants to be 1,000 pounds, but currently she is at 604 pounds. Have you heard of this?
I just think this lady is a freak, and killing herself for fame. Thanks for sharing.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/n...WiCg3yjEWaxx9N
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #3  
Fit to be Healthy!

Hi Kimberly,

Thank you for posting about this. It is good to be reminded of more health reasons why we need to continue on this weight loss healthy road we've started on.

Julie
MrsBonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #4  

I can't help but feel a little sorry for her because she may not have had any support from family or friends to tell her she needed to lose weight in order to save her own life. In a way I also feel she is to blame because we all have a choice, whether we have a support network or not. It was completely disturbing to see and one of the other causes of her death may have been due to the infection the open sores caused. It made me truly think for the first time in my life that I could have been the one laying there and I wanted to cry.

I think that's absolutely disgusting what this woman wants to do, what is the goal here? To see how obese she can get until she dies? I remember seeing her on the news not too long ago and this woman has children too! Absolutely disgusting!

Last edited by KimberlyP; 11-21-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/185/135

Height: 5ft5

That really is so sad. Glad you shared your story with us. I am sure it will have a bigger impact then you imagine.

As for the lady that wants to weigh 1000 I saw her on one of the morning news shows. I can't for the life of me figure out why she would want to do that to herself. It is really sad.
gerly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #6  

I'm glad you guys weren't offended, I know people would rather not know details like that but it's the reality of being morbidly obese.

I am actually sitting here pissed off after reading the article about Donna Simpson. She has two children and thinks it's glamorous to be unhealthy! She is being selfish and she has to know that there is possibility of death, there is no way she will reach 1,000lbs before dying. Her poor children are the ones who will suffer and all because she wanted 5 minutes of fame is some book. How can she enjoy not being able to move around, not being able to maintain good personal hygiene, moving from point a to point b with a struggle or not being able to take care of her children the way they should be! If I find a website for her or e-mail address, I'm writing and telling her exactly how I feel..

Last edited by KimberlyP; 11-21-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #7  
Back at It!

Kimberly, I totally agree with you on Donna Simpson.

Many taxpayers are pissed off as well. 750$ a week for food, and she eats in front of people on the internet? I just don't get it. I feel sorry for her, and moreso for her kids.

I think we can all learn so much from what you have observed with this lady who died because of being so morbidly obese. I don't know if I feel pity for them or not, because I think I can understand it in a way. It is super sad to know there are people out there that are at that weight.

Last edited by Jojo381972; 11-21-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #8  

I just watched a few videos of this woman and she actually attended a party at a restaurant for bigger women. At the end they all shouted, "Bigger IS better!"

Watch this one - http://www.zimbio.com/watch/5AQWN4Er.../Donna+Simpson

In this one she says, "I try very hard to watch what I eat." I also noticed a bottle of DIET PEPSI...

http://www.zimbio.com/watch/Y7Am2s2q.../Donna+Simpson

Last edited by KimberlyP; 11-21-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #9  
Back at It!

Woah! She wants to do it healthy??? How is eating all that healthy? I think she and her husband need mental counselling, don't you?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #10  

Yep, they definately both have issues! Here's my view on life - I believe we were all put here to make a difference, set a positive example, do good for others, and support a cause greater than ourselves (Just my opinion). What a waste that the only thing she is trying to do is tell the world she can be the largest person and have her picture and name be put in a book which will be forgotten about after months, years, and decades. She has NOT helped anyone in a positive way, she has not supported a cause greater than herself and she is a poor example of a human being. I can guarantee this, when she is rushed to the hospital one last time, it will be then that she regrets this whole charade. There is only one shot at this life and the only thing guaranteed is death so we have to do what we can while we're here. Making the world healthy is one priority and example I know many of us strive to achieve. I pity this woman because of her ignorance.

Last edited by KimberlyP; 11-21-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo381972 View Post
Woah! She wants to do it healthy??? How is eating all that healthy? I think she and her husband need mental counselling, don't you?

Did you see the pound of FRIED bacon and dozen eggs she gobbled down?!?! Holy ****!

Then she says, "I don't eat anything fried."
Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #12  
Back at It!

^I know. And she says she wants to do it healthy if you keep watching the next video it jumps into. Her breakfast included a box of Godiva chocolates. I feel bad for her kids. She can hardly get up, and soon she will be bedridden. Man, I feel so bad for her two kids.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #13  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Both are terrible stories!!!

That must have been so hard for you to see, Kimberly. Thank you for sharing it. I do feel sorry for the woman. She must have felt horribly ashamed, too. Perhaps that's why she did not seek treatment for the sores. I would imagine, at that weight, she may have given up. A good lesson for all of us!
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan View Post
Both are terrible stories!!!

That must have been so hard for you to see, Kimberly. Thank you for sharing it. I do feel sorry for the woman. She must have felt horribly ashamed, too. Perhaps that's why she did not seek treatment for the sores. I would imagine, at that weight, she may have given up. A good lesson for all of us!
Thanks for reading I really wish the family had showed up so I could have gotten an idea of who she was, she may have been the sweetest lady. After 4 hours we HAD to transport her to the morgue because of, well I'm sure you know.. I guess her neighbor had gone over to her house and hadn't gotten an answer so he called the police and EMS. There were more than sores, she also had boils all over her stomach which were infected. Such a tragic end to someone so young and I'm sure this isn't the first and won't be the last.

I read your post, congrats on re-starting! You can do it this time for sure!

Last edited by KimberlyP; 11-21-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #15  

Wow! While I have watched the scale go up and up for the past several years, I certainly wasn't purposely making it go up and up. I am a habitual stress eater. I am trying really hard to conquer that. It is really awful that someone would actually want to gain weight.
Goal2Be1 is offline   Reply With Quote