Old 10-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/207/160

Height: 5'3"

Smile New to WW, trying it alone...need some advice!!

Hey everyone!

So, I just recently decided that I would start doing WW, but I dont have enough money to actually join, or go to meetings. So I'm doing it all on my own! I know the basic amount of points I should have, which is 26, and I think I know how to calculate my points too...(cal/50)+(fat/12)-(fibre/5)...

Is there anything else I should know?? I heard about extra points, but I dont know if that's true, or if it's mandatory...

I just need some help/advice from anyone!

Thanks guys!
angel eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

By extra points do you mean the 35 extra points you get per week? There is also activity points you can earn.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #3  

I don't know what it is to be honest. I've heard people talk about flex points and activity points, but I have no idea what they are, what they mean, or when I should be using them...
Old 10-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

If you don't have the proper tools to follow WW do you think you will be successful at it?
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 184.4/169.2/140

The best advice if you don't want to join meetings or online is to try to buy the books cheaply off Ebay. Also, the point calculation is changing for the new year, so things will be very different.

There's lots to it and it would be hard for anyone to explain everything out to you. Perhaps a FREE plan - Sparkpeople website could give you a good start if you don't have the funds to join a plan.

I do WW meetings because I need the weekly weigh-in, it makes me accountable!!
stratcat45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #6  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Ditto stratcat! I need the accountability of knowing I have to get on that scale! That's the whole reason i joined WW again, that and the support of being around people who know what it's like to be there.

You have your points level for your day, which depends on your weight and activity level. (For me it's 26) On top of that you have 35 extra gimme points to spread throughout the week. You can earn more points through exercise.

The whole way they calculate points and your points allowance are supposed to change when a new program update is released in December. Just an FYI, it might be worth paying for one or two meetings to get the down low on how it's being done. If you are still using old calculations and people start talking about the new points levels, it probably won't work so well for you!

Good luck!
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #7  

FitbyForty: I've joined numerous forums, and websites such as this one, where there is a network of people all going through the same thing, and who are simply looking for some help, support, and advice. The whole point of my thread was to get just that. If all you're going to do is send negative vibes my way, please don't leave your comments. I am dedicated to doing this, and I will reach my goal...no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Stratcat and Misstraveler: Thank you so much for your advice! I have read a few things regarding the change in points calculations, and will definitelly keep an eye out for that come December.

I would love to go to the meetings, but unfortunately, I do not have the funds for any of that right now.

I definitely will see if I can find some cheap books though...any suggestions on good starter ones??

Thanks!!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #8  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

There are some really good websites out there too that help with point calculations...generic food lists etc.

I do the meetings because it helps me along. However, I think you can do it on your own if you're determined and dedicated. Good luck!! You can do it!
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #9  

Thanks for the encouragement!! You know,this is the reason why I joined this website, and others like this one. I may not be able to go to the meetings every week, but getting your support and encouragement really helps...so thanks!! I know i can do it!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #10  
Marianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel eyes View Post
Thanks for the encouragement!! You know,this is the reason why I joined this website, and others like this one. I may not be able to go to the meetings every week, but getting your support and encouragement really helps...so thanks!! I know i can do it!
If you ever need an extra push, feel free to shoot me a message or something!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmel3283 View Post
If you ever need an extra push, feel free to shoot me a message or something!
Thanks Mel...it's nice to know I have support! And same goes to you...we'll keep each other motivated!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #12  
Marianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel eyes View Post
Thanks Mel...it's nice to know I have support! And same goes to you...we'll keep each other motivated!
That would be great. My husband tries to be supportive...but sometimes...he's a doof. lol
Old 10-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmel3283 View Post
That would be great. My husband tries to be supportive...but sometimes...he's a doof. lol

Hahahaha...omg, I SOOOOO know what you mean! My boyfriend definitely tries to be supportive. It's just hard taking advice from someone who's never actually lived it. He has a really high metabolism, so even if he gains weight, he loses it pretty easily...and I hate that! lol

Even though I know that's not what he tries to do, because of that, it all just sounds condescending to me. So yeah, it's nice to know we've got each other on this! lol
Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #14  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

I know you mentioned your funds are limited, but eTools is well worth it! It only costs $12.95/month and it will find your point totals for you, PLUS, there are thousands of recipes you can access once you have eTools. I do WW from home and it has been a HUGE help for me.
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 266/264/150

Height: 5'5"

Angel Eyes, I am trying the Weight Watchers by myself as well! I am a little annoyed that I have started it just barely, and now they are going to release a new points system, but oh well.
I have made a little book to keep track of everything I eat, how many points I've used, or have left, etc. Extra pages for goals and stuff. I'm still trying to get used to keeping track of everything.
I have also made "my own" recipe book, which is basically just a bunch of recipes with the point values that I have found online. It has taken me a long time to compile all the recipes, lol. I have yet to actually print it out.
I bought a weight watchers book on eBay. I joined this forum for support, and also Sparkpeople (just a few days ago and still getting the hang of that).
I still need to get a calculator, but I am glad I have not gotten one yet, since the formula is being changed.

The only problem I have is getting into the habit of keeping track of everything that goes into my mouth. And I hate exercising, so I'm still trying to make myself get up and move. Baby steps, lol.

Good luck with everything!
LindsayW is offline   Reply With Quote