Old 09-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/220/153

Height: 5'10"

Default How necessary do you think a kitchen scale is for WW?

I've only been doing WW for 3 days, and one thing that gets me is the ounces of meat especially deli meat. I'd like to be more precise with my portions, but I'm not sure a scale is necessary. Any thoughts?
cinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/243.8/160 (High of 410)

Height: 5'7"

I weigh EVERYTHING. I believe it's the only way to accurately know what I'm eating. It's surprising to see the differences when you start weighing foods.
Babette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 310/234.5/130

Height: 5'6"

Um, if you don't weigh your food, how do you know the portion size, for example meat, fruit, etc....For me, I weigh everything....If I don't weigh it, for example dry granola, I measure it....this lets me know that my portions are really the serving size listed. Good luck
ernurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 193/170/140

Height: 5'5"

I weigh or measure most foods.
Sheena41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #5  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

A scale has been absolutely essential for me. I suffer from uncalibrated eyeballs -- I STILL can't assess proper portion sizes so I weigh or measure everything out according to my plan requirements...
They aren't that expensive and last forever. If it helps you stay accurate, why not get one?

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Necessary? No (but convenient, yes)

Even today there are many people who follow Weight Watcher's and other food plans without one. Before I had one, I measured out deli meat and other foods by estimation (and it worked well, as long as I was honest with my estimation). For example, with deli meat I'd divide it up at home into equal portions and then calculate the serving size by using math and estimation. Say I bought half a pound of sliced smoked turkey (8 oz). At home, I'd divide the meat into 8 equal (1 oz) or 4 equal (2 oz) portions and put each portion in individual ziploc bags. Then on the bag in a permanent marker, I'd write the point information (or calorie or exchange information, depending on what diet I was following. I learned the "tip" from another Weight Watcher's member when WW was still an exchange plan).

Of course, doing it that way, each portion wasn't exactly one ounce. One bag might weigh 1.1 oz and the other might weigh .9 ounce, but it all evens out, because I knew the original, starting weight. There are other ways to estimate ounce size (3 ounces of meat is about the size of a deck of cards), but they're even less precise (many people succeed on guesstimation, you've just got to be relentlessly and rigidly honest with yourself. You can fudge the system until your portions are way off reality).

That being said, I LOVE my food scale. So much so that I think I'd grab it first if the house were on fire (after hubby and the cat of course). I bought my first one at a Weight Watcher's meeting (At least 8 years ago, and I think more like 10 or more, definitely before I met my husband 8 years ago) for about $35. I especially love the "zero" feature. It resets the readout to zero so you can weigh the next item without removing the previous (so you can weigh your whole meal, food by food using the same bowl, dish or pate.

This year I finally broke down and bought a new scale (I'd been using duct tape to keep the batteries in my old scale after the battery coverplate broke several years ago). I still couldn't part with my old scale so now it's in the craftroom for measuring out polymer clay, yarn and other materials for craft projects.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-12-2009 at 03:29 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 269.6/ticker/119

Height: 5'3.5"

I have been thinking about getting a food scale for a while now but wasn't sure if I should buy the Weight Watcher's scale or a normal food scale at a kitchen store. Are there benefits to the WW food scale besides the points? Is there a particular scale that you guys would suggest purchasing?
LifetimeJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

I have the Good Cook brand and love it. It is digital, and has a nice big bowl/tray with it. It measures interchangeably in ounces or grams, which is handy, too.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I made it a long way without the scale. But I recommend getting it eventually. I love it, I find it easier than measuring cups for things like cereal. And it's awesome for meat. I found out when I got it that I've been way off in my estimate of how much 3 oz of chicken was; I was charging myself double points. Yes, that's right, I got MORE food with the scale.

I have the WW scale, but I rarely use the points option. I think a scale from somewhere else would be just as good. Things to look for: measures in oz or grams, allows you to measure in your own container. Many scales come with a bowl that you can choose to use or not (the ww scale does not have one), but some scales require you to use their bowl. I like to just put the plate, bowl, whatever I'm going to use on the scale, press "zero" and then weigh my food

Last edited by Aclai4067; 09-12-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

I bought a scale (I like the Salton brand) after realizing that my portion sizes were drastically off. I also stocked up on several nice, glass measuring cups to use as everyday serving dishes for side items to take the guessing out of that, too!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Find one that has a good size bowl for measuring. I have a cheapy one that has a small square bowl and a measuring cup. Neither are very convienent for meausring bulky things.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 271/248/150

Height: 5'5

I have a scale and use it often. It wasn't an expensive one but does the job!
Mrs Carrie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 262.5/249/135

Height: 5'4

You MUST get scale. Invest in the digital.

I weigh and measure everything! It's the only way to be certain you are staying within your points.
amkenkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #14  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

I asked the same question when I first started and got much the same feedback, so I went and bought the WW one - and I love it! I don't use it ALL the time, but it is very helpful in getting accurate portion sizes. I found I was underestimating the points in certain things, but underestimating the points in others. It helps me better eyeball portion sizes when I don't have access to the scale.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

I never used a scale until recently and now I'm drooling over the even cooler digital scales. I have an old Pampered Chef one that you can adjust for different containers, it works, but the digital ones are much nicer.
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote