3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   Supporting Each Other on our Weight Loss Journey! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/175220-supporting-each-other-our-weight-loss-journey.html)

ASH0424 07-06-2009 02:05 AM

Hello Ladies: I trust you had a fantastic weekend or if you're still on vaca you are having one! I got up, went to the restroom and then weighed in. The scale read 212.3, so I made it through the weekend and lost 1.5 lbs. for a total of 4.7 lbs. I missed my first 5 lb star, but I will get it next week. So, I am starting week 4 of being back and I feel fantastic. We're going on our family vacation on Thursday, so I have been planning for that. That then is the only other major thing going on this summer - so wish me luck!

Mollie: It's great to see you in this thread. This is a great group of gals and they welcomed me immediately. I hope we can encourage you and that you'll share with us. It's great that you were at least able to maintain while you were away. Now I wish you loads of success in losing my friend!'

Ashley

derrydaughter 07-06-2009 08:33 AM

Well, I'm back from the long weekend and I have to admit that the news is not good. I gained and I lost control.
So, today is a day to get serious, log the food in, drink the water, get some exercise and go grocery shopping to buy GOOD stuff....eeewww..... I should have done better but I got caught up in the holiday weekend stuff.

Ash, we would probably all do well to adopt a more European walking type of lifestyle. I live in a rural community and you really can't walk to places, I'm sure villages in Europe may be more "central" in terms of being able to walk to do your errands?

Clydegirl, have you got that in writing that you will pay the same for 4 years of tuition? We thought we would get the same financial award and tuition but we didn't.

LitChick, that Ruby is exactly the same one I saw on TV. I was impressed by her. I also thought the same thing about the pre-packaged meals. One thing I like about WW is that they teach you how to eat real food on your own. Though, over this past weekend, I did not excel at that. I'm pretty disappointed in myself.
The pre-packaged meals remind me of years ago when Oprah went on the diet with all those shakes. She lost a ton of weight, but it didn't truly teach her how to eat right. She has since learned better, but from what I have seen on TV briefly (don't want her anymore since she got involved in politics) she seems to have gained back lots of her weight? It's an uphill battle for us all.

Welcome back Melanie, gosh times flies and you have your 2nd child? Wow. I hope you can be successful. I worry that you are living with your in-laws and may not have control over what you are being served to eat. Can you talk about that a little bit?

Ash, I am sorry to learn about your daughter as well. What a shame. How hard that must have been. Hugs to you. Also, I had two C-sections as well, in my day. I hate how my lower abdominal region handled it all, years later. I have a pelvic region, then a line goes across that is the big scar and the fat hangs over it. I just hate looking in the mirror at it all. I have to do some sit-ups!

Mollie, welcome back again. I hope you can stay on program this time. Let us know what kind of help you might need from us.

I am really going to try to stick to a Thursday weigh in day here. I am no longer attending WW meetings due to my time and lack of funds. I really want to try to stay off the scale. I already blew that and weighed myself today, but I shall not report that here and I will report on my tracker the official Thursday weight in number.

roundpeg 07-06-2009 09:14 AM

Can I hang out in here??

I am new to dieting, in general, I started WW at the end of May. I have been heavy since puberty, but never really tried to lose weight. So this is my first attempt at changing my future. I guess I had just assumed that "overweight" was in my life script.

I am a divorced mom of two "tweens". They know that I am incorporating healthier choices in our kitchen. They don't know about "points" since I am scared of making them too aware to the point they start obsessing. (Maybe I am projecting my own issues here!). So, the kids and I don't talk about weight loss, just better choices and new, healthier foods.

I don't discuss WW with anyone IRL, I am scared to admit I am trying something because I am scared to admit I failed. But, so far, I am losing weight, pretty painlessly. I was just filling my body with such crap before. Now, I count the Doritos and don't just sit the bag by my computer.

One weird issue I have is a sleeping eating disorder. I literally wake up and eat. And I eat junk, like Poptarts. I never eat Poptarts when I am awake, but I eat them in my sleep. I don't know if that is from anxiety, a sugar issue or just that my eating clock is screwed up. I have changed many things, but the sleeping poptart issue is still around.

So, I changed to a high fiber tart, learned to just eat one and I track it in the morning. Before WW, I was eating 9 points in my sleep! several times a week! Now, I am down to a 3pt fiber tart thing, 1-3 times a week. I even had the kids hide the pop tarts, I still slept walk until I found them. Oh, and before you say "stop buying poptarts", I babysit a 5yo and that is her standard breakfast. She'll start kindergarten this fall, I shouldn't have to stock poptarts after that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get all windy about my sleeping poptart issue!

Anyway, I have been lurking here for a month or so and thought I would like to introduce myself. I am glad to have found this forum.

Clydegirl 07-06-2009 11:26 AM

Welcome Roundpeg. That is interesting the sleeping /eating disorder you have. Are you aware that you are doing it at the time? Have you spoken to your doctor about it?

Well I had an ok weekend. Saturday was good I stayed within my points. I did a 5k walk for Juvenile Diabetes in torrential rain with my weight watchers group. So because the weather was so bad our 4th of July festivities were cancelled until yesterday. So that was not a good day for me I was over points and I have np idea how many flex points I used.

I did walk a lot. We went to our town's Old Fashioned 4th of July celebration. We walked to the park from our house and on the way there walking through the grass i was stung on my bigtoe by a wasp. That thing got right in my sandal. Boy it hurt. So back home I went to render first aid. Then i walked back to the park for the fireworks and home again. The weird thing is my toe is numb and really itches today.

I will have to stay on track the next few days before my Wednesday weigh in.

Hope everyone eenjoyed their weekend and is back with the programme today.

ASH0424 07-06-2009 02:30 PM

derrydaughter: Remember to toss the gain in the trash and start a new. So, you had a tough weekend. Now you know and you can focus, focus, focus! I just know you'll have a better week this week! And actually my scar is not visable unless I lift my flab fromt he c-section and well my "fat" too. I don't really ever look at myself in the mirror unless it's my face. Maybe I should challenge myself to do that.

roundpeg: Welcome! Don't worry about the past. It is in the past. Honestly, you are making the effort now and that takes enough of your energy. I know you don't want to get your children obsessed with points and stuff, but perhaps you should at the very least go over calories and the basics of how just because it seems like a good choice there may be other alternitives like fruit or whatever. I don't think you should be afraid, just be honest and show them that it's about health..Good luck anyhow, I know you'll do great and we're here to support you 100%!

Clydegirl: Sounds like maybe you did enough walking to counter a gain at least. I am sure you're on track now. Good luck and what a great 5K to do.

To the rest of the ladies, Hello & I hope you're weekends were great as well.
Enjoy your day, mine is about over as it's 8:30pm - I am hoping to be in bed by 10 at the latest, we shall see!
Ashley

GrnEyedGirl 07-06-2009 07:24 PM

Hi everyone and welcome to our newer members! Sorry I have been MIA since last weeks weigh in, been a busy week with the holiday and kids.

I had last posted I was disappointed because I gained 1 lb at last weeks Weigh IN and hadn't used but 5 fp's that week. This last week I used all the flex points and I weighed in this morning and had lost 3lbs!!! So perhaps my body is still adjusting and went into starvation. The 1st week I had used all my fp's as well and still lost so we'll see how it goes this week.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and is off to a great start on program this week!

Mollie 07-06-2009 09:35 PM

Thanks for the welcomes, ladies. You're all really in gear, it seems -- good inspiration! Got through my first workday OP and things went smoothly. I hope/think I'm in a good mindset -- best to all of you.

EmeraldKY 07-07-2009 12:14 AM

C-Sections... Linda, you will be glad to know that they have changed a lot. They now do bikini cuts almost exclusively. So, my overhang of flab is much lower down. lol But, it gives me hope.

Living with the in-laws isn't that much of a food challenge. They eat very healthy. DFIL is diabetic and DMIL is very weight conscience because of Fibromyalgia. Any junk is usually brought in by DH. Who, BTW, has gained considerably and needs an overhaul too. My only thing is that we meal plan very differently and I miss having control in the kitchen. Okay, I know... "Shut Up! Someone is cooking for you." But I miss choosing how to feed my family.

Exercise is a challenge because it's hard to go anywhere without the kids and I don't feel confortable working out in the common areas of the house. I might be able to use the Wii Fit upstairs. Or maybe even downstairs. That looks a lot less rediculous than me trying to do aerobics around my children.

Today my mom and I took the kids to the pool, but that ended up being no exercise because I was just splashing around with DS. He LOVES the water. DM was helping DD on the kids slide. That is the story of things lately, lots of activity, but no exercise.

I have not done well with my eating yesterday or today. But, I will tomorrow. This is my first week back and I am really trying. Tomorrow will be a new day. No mothers taking us to Chuck E Cheese. No fireworks and ice cream. No potlucks. Just plain old regular fare.

[Yeah, I realize I'm writing a book. I like to babble and I pretend that I'm interesting. haha]

Linda, are you still quilting? That is something I always aspire to do. Perhaps when things are more settled. Now, let's get back on track together tomorrow. Carrot sticks here we come!

Ash, Congrats on the loss. Hearing others succeed is great motivation for me. Thanks for sharing.

Roundpeg, welcome. I'm glad to hear that another mother is making deliberate efforts to teach good health habits. It's not easy to be a living example, but it's the best teacher.

Ok, I'm going away now. I'm sure I have other things to do. Tata for now!

Melanie

ASH0424 07-07-2009 02:17 AM

Yes, EmeraldKY: I have a bikini cut too, but the flab is really awful, I joke that I don't know why they didn't just shove everything back in afterwards..and I remember laughing at my German doctor who said,"We will give you a nice bikini cut," to which I replied - "Yeah, I have never been in a bikini."

Anyway...sounds like everyone is getting back on track. Keep it up, we can do this!

derrydaughter 07-07-2009 08:31 AM

Welcome roundpeg and we are happy to have you join us!
I think your approach with your kids is just fine for now. Better choices is a very good way to put it with them. Interestingly enough, my son really objected to my "better choices" a few years ago and now he is happy to have them. He chooses low fat salad dressings on his own now and was happy when I made a stir fry healthy meal last night. : ) They get used to certain things and I have to say that some of the WW friendly recipes I have made are really quite good. Some, though, have been disasters. I learn what is best for our tastes.
On the sleeping disorder, I heard something like this discussed once at a WW meeting. The woman actually had sleep issues and began to take a prescription sleeping pill and that was what was causing her to "walk in her sleep and eat". She stopped taking it and the problem went away. I wonder if you might be taking a medication? I also wonder if you hide those pop tart things or ask your kids to hide them for you or just do not buy them if this would help? If the pop tart things (even high fiber ones) are an issue for you, perhaps you might stop having them on hand? Just trying to be helpful.
Clydegirl had a good point as well, have you spoken with your doctor?

Sorry about the bee sting, CG, that must have hurt. I'm allergic to bee stings, so that would have sent me to the hospital and ruined everyone else's 4th of July.

Ash, actually, you should look at yourself in the mirror. I do it every day. I actually have no choice we have a large bathroom and when I get out of the shower I am surrounded by mirrors. It's an older 1980s outdated bathroom and I wish I could afford to remodel it. I'd be making some huge changes. But, for now, it works. I think you need to look in the mirror as it creates an awareness of what you look like. You will begin to notice changes for the better as well and that will be positive reinforcement.

GrnEyedGirl, I sometimes see no rhyme nor reason to my weigh losses, or lack thereof. One week, I would be so good and still have some flex points leftover and other weeks I would use a bit more than I should and often that week would be the one where I would have a loss.

Mollie, glad you have a good first day on program. Let's talk a bit about what you ate and help you to plan out some meals.

Melanie, you are suffering from what I can only refer to right now as "young kid/mom syndrome" You devote yourself to your kids and then there is no time leftover for you. The problem compounds itself while you are living in someone else's home as there just isn't privacy.
I have a few thoughts. Firstly, can you ask your in-laws to watch the kids for 1/2 hour each day so you can go out for a walk? Be honest and tell them you want exercise and to lose a few pounds (they know it as they can see for themselves what you weigh) and you just can't peel the kids off you long enough to do something. I'll bet they say yes. If not, pack them up in a stroller and go out with them.
Also, I'm sure you have a private bedroom with a door. So, I challenge you to as many modified push ups as you can do. I challenge you to also do as many modified sit ups as well. If you have hand weights, what about some bi-cep and tri-cep curls? These things are silent and not something that anyone needs to see you doing.
Also, kids LOVE to dance! What about a mommy and kid dance-a-thon! Even five minutes will be something for you. You can put on kid's music (all I can think of is Barney but I'm sure there is something else) and make it play time. They will beg you to do it with them and you are the one who will get the most benefit from it.
One more thing, my C-section is a bikini cut scar. But, I still have that overhang. It seems to have gotten worse over the years, so it's fair warning to you all who have those newer scars to keep going with sit ups and do whatever you can to combat it now instead of letting it get the way mine looks.

I made a mock cheese cake yesterday. It was pretty good with a few sliced strawberries on it last night. My serving was 145 calories in total. Not bad. I used the reduced fat graham pie crust with the Jell-O sugar free/fat free cheesecake pudding and fat free milk. I sliced a few strawberries on top and it was very very good. It got rid of this strawberry shortcake kind of craving that I had all weekend. My total calories consumed yesterday was 1395. I'm supposed to have 1200 in a day, but I supplemented with 334 calories worth of exercise. So, I was well within my range for the day.
I mentioned that I am trying calorie counting for awhile and this seems to be helping me. I have found an on line calorie counting web site that helps you figure out what you should have per day and then track. I like it. It's very similar to WW and points, but I find calories to be more finite and WW rounds things up to points and this is just an interesting alternative for me right now. I needed a change. I've been on WW for so long, I kind of forget when I actually re-started again. I start and stop as I keep getting bored and frustrated with not losing. But, one thing that has been great in my life is being HERE and it's been a constant for a long time.
Making an entry here with you all and chatting helps me to be "pulled back" to my reality. I need you all very much. Thank you for being here and inspiring me. I hope I inspire you all as well.

roundpeg 07-07-2009 09:05 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

On the c-section thing, "the shelf" is what I call it, may I make a confession? Do you remember the "pencil test" for your boobs (If you lay a pencil under your breast and it stays, you need a bra). One of my NS goals is that my "shelf" will no longer hold a pencil.

So when my c-section pooch no longer holds a pencil, I am going to do one of those dancing carrot thingies!

For my sleeping pop tart thing, no, I am not taking any medications. I have heard terrible stories of sleep aids causing night eating and driving! My BIL took a sleep aid and would cook in his sleep, almost setting the kitchen on fire. Scary stuff! I will talk to my doctor next check-up, I am pretty sure it is an anxiety thing, post-divorce stuff.

For now, I just don't max out my points for the day so if I do eat in the night, I have room to add it in the morning.

This week, my challenge will be the birthday cake left over from my DD's 10th b-day! I don't looove cake, so it is not that bad, but it does look yummy. By tomorrow, the kids should be bored with cake, so out it goes.

Clydegirl 07-07-2009 10:39 AM

Morning girls.

Roundpeg that is a good goal to have with the pencil test on your shelf. I call it my apron. I will add it to my list.

I weighed on my scale this morning and I was up so will probably be up for my weigh in tomorrow.

I'm going to the doctor's today about the wasp sting. It hurts like crazy, feels numb and itches so bad. It's hard to walk on. I always react badly to mosquito bites they swell up and blister. So no doubt I will have problems with this too.

It's warming up again. Stay cool everyone.

Renacer 07-07-2009 10:41 AM

Hello everyone!

Sorry for being MIA. I'm having a hard time this week, I haven't weight in for the last two weeks and sincerely I don't know how much weight I gained. Last week I went to the gym three times, we walked the 6.6 miles to the beach and I did my Zumba twice, but I didn't eat that good and here I am with no motivation. What is going on? Did I just get bored of it? I need to focus.:(

On a better note I did this potato salad recipe on Sunday, my sister in law husband loves my potato salad and I was thrilled when I saw him eating the WW version. http://weight-watchers-points-recipe...ato-salad.html

Talk to you later!

derrydaughter 07-07-2009 10:41 AM

RP (roundpeg), I would contact my doctor and read up on this stuff on line. I hope you get this under control. Sorry about the divorce, I am sure that stress is probably contributing.
I find leftover cake a huge challenge personally as I just love cake. I have tried freezing it and throwing it away. I feel guilty throwing it out.
I have a hard time throwing away good food.
Linda

EmeraldKY 07-07-2009 10:50 AM

Linda, I had three thoughts when I read your message. (1) Gosh, I should have thought of that. (2) As many push ups as I can... hahahahahahaHAHA (3) Crap. No more excuses. HAHA

I will definately try to incorporate some of these great ideas. The calorie counting sounds great for you. You have been trying for so long. While I'm glad to be talking with you again, it's too bad you are still around.

Roundpeg, Too bad about the night eating, and I hate to bug you with another suggestion, but I thought of something not mentioned. Could the girl's parents bring them when they drop her off. That way they are not in your house at all. Sounds like you are doing well. Just think about today without cake.

My goal today is to journal, do laundry, and go for a walk. Oh, and water. I need some water. Hmmm, I'm thinking about requesting some of my FIL's yummy wheat crust pizza for dinner. Lots of veggies on top.

Well, off to grab a shower and start some laundry. I will pass my journal along the way. Convenient.

Have a great day!
Melanie