Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 05:03 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default How much water do you drink?

I was just reading on dwlz.com that you should 64 oz of water a day and an extra 8 oz for each 25 lbs over weight.

In my journal I have 6 little water boxes - which would total just 48 oz of water a day.

I am 100 lbs over weight - I just figured out I should have 96 oz of water a day!

How much do you all drink?

any suggestions? - man, that's a lot of water!!

For those of you that drink a lot of water - do you really think that it has played a big part of your weight loss?

Thanks,

Dana
235/224/212 10% mini goal - by 4th of July
5th week on WW
Old 05-21-2002, 08:02 PM   #2  

Angry Water

Although I am no where near my goal weight again, I believe that drinking alot of water has kept me from gaining all of my weight back.

I recently checked my old WW books and this coming Tuesday will be my 6th time going back to "start over". This is NOT because WW doesn't work, it's because I work the program for a while, then slip back into old habits!! But the one habit I've kept, is drinking my water.

I drink anywhere between 80 oz - 96 oz a day. Some days it's more, some less. During the summer, it's definitly more because I never leave home without a water bottle!!

Hope this helps and good luck!!
Old 05-21-2002, 08:23 PM   #3  
Smith Mountain Mommy-Girl

Default Water Water Everywhere....

I too have been following WW many times over the past years. The one thing that I do well consistently is drink my water and I believe that is what has kept me from gaining back all my weight. I drink at least 100oz per day.I have a 52 oz insulated cup from 7-11 and I drink 2 or more of them a day. My complexion is also improved I am currently at 14 lost this go round and I truly believe that water is a vital part of this program...now if I could only be as faithful to exercise.....

Good Luck to you in your weight loss efforts!!

emmy
211 highest
200 most recent starting point
186 current
135 personal goal
Old 05-21-2002, 10:58 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Let's clarify a little bit the total amount of intake is what was stated in the first post. 6-8 8-ounce glass a day is usually sufficient but also alot of the foods you eat contain alot of water also. Veggies have a high concentration of water, soups, etc.

Also remember that 3-4 of those suggested glasses of water can come from things like milk and juice as well as other decaffeinate beverages.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:32 AM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

thanks for the info Kel.. but how much do you drink?
Old 05-22-2002, 07:37 AM   #6  

Height: 6'0"

I drink about 8 glasses of water a day. I keep a water bottle on my desk. I carry water with me in my car. I started my water drinking about 10 years ago (way before joining Weight Watchers). Now I find that I miss it if I don't have it. It flushes fat out of your system--so it's very, very important to any weight loss program. Your body is mostly made of water, so keep it replenished.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:44 AM   #7  

Talking

I drink about 120+ ounces a day. I used to drink a 2-litre of Diet Rite a day but have dropped that to one can. So getting my water in is easy as pie since it's all I drink.

I love it as long as it's ICE cold. What I do is fill water bottles and freeze them solid. I then move them to the door of my fridge and they start to thaw a bit, then I always have ICE cold water available. I take a bottle with me everywhere.

BTW...I read an article somewhere that said you should actually drink 1/2 your weight in ounces. I'm not sure if that's correct or not but the water has improved my weight loss and has really helped me to cut back on my food cravings.

My husband and children have also jumped on the water band wagon which makes me happy because I believe if my children make smart habits now it will help them when they're older.

So there's my .02
Old 05-22-2002, 09:58 AM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Oops I forgot the last line in my post. LOL!

I drink between 1-2 gallons a day on the advice of my physician because of frequent UTIs/Kidney infections
Old 05-22-2002, 06:35 PM   #9  

Default Old Ned and I with our throats bone dry and still no sign of water, cool water

Let's see--2 cups before leaving the house, 6-9 cups at work, at least 2 more with dinner--that's 80-104 ounces a day. And that doesn't count sodas, coffee, or workout water. Because I live in the desert, I consider that a minimum; summertime I drink more, because you lose lots of water just by breathing the hot dry air.

Everything I've read and my own experience has convinced me that drinking water is just good for you. It helps your digestion, keeps your organs functioning properly and your skin younger looking. And not drinking enough is very bad for you: dehydration gives you headaches, nausea, crankiness, confusion, and general bad health. Of course, if you live in a humid area you won't need 100 ounces of water, but IMHO the 48 ounces that WW tells you to drink is a good minimum amount.

Oh, and yes, it does help me with my appetite, although my main issue is journalling and splurging...but that's for another post.

Lenore
Old 05-24-2002, 07:58 AM   #10  

Default Water

Just the other day I was listening to the radio and they had a fitness guy to the stars on and he said that people should drink
1 ounce for every pound they weigh. That would be 20 glasses for me. I think I would float away if I drank that much. I drink about 12 glasses a day. I definitely think it helps with the weight loss and overall good health.

Fit4Life
325.6/158/145
Old 05-24-2002, 05:13 PM   #11  

Angry Water

On World New's Tonight - yesterday's edition -- they had something on about water. They said that no one seems to know where it was written or first got started about drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day. Also, that there's no documentation about how it's good for you or not.

Well, I was talking to the TV saying "Even if it isn't written anywhere, I know that I feel much better when I drink my water!!"
Old 05-26-2002, 08:19 AM   #12  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Thumbs down Theories on Water

There seems to be a lot of theories about drinking water; however, I'm agreeing with Kelly, and going by the guidelines that WW has set for us. After all, they hire the professionals who do the tests and they do update their findings when they see fit.

The question is how much water do I drink? At least 6-8 glasses of water daily which always include my milk servings. I am finding that some days I may drink 8 glasses of water PLUS my two milk servings which make a total of 10.

I also find that the weeks I cut out diet caffeine-free soda are the weeks I lose better.

Good luck! And yes, I do believe there is "magic" in the water!
Old 05-26-2002, 12:45 PM   #13  
Is is spring yet??

Talking

I love water! If there is one good thing I do for my health its drink water! I am always properly hydrated.

There are lots of "studies" out there about how much we should drink.

I personally think more is better! Water is just so darn good for you that drinking extra has its benefits.

They say drink 1/2 your body weight and that is what I do. I just love water and its one of the only things I drink - so its pretty easy for me. When I am thirsty -- I grab a water. (I do drink skim milk each morning and some juice as well).

They also say: If you are overweight you really need more water. They say drink the 6-8 glasses and for every 25lbs overweight you are -- add 1 more glass.

Whatever you do I say drink up! Water can't hurt you so why not. I know when I drink my gallon a day (or so) I have better success in my weight loss journey. And even if I am not losing much each week -- I am not gaining any either. I attribute that to all the water I drink each day.

Just my 2 cents!!

Tara
Old 05-26-2002, 03:15 PM   #14  

Talking Hey Tara

I totally agree with Tara. Water can only help you!!

My personal thing is that I will not drink any pop until I've had at least 1/2 of my water!! And even then, I usually pass it up for water.

Plus, it saves $ when eating out if you order water!!
Old 05-26-2002, 08:40 PM   #15  
Is is spring yet??

Not me Felicia -- I am a water snob and usually only drink spring water!! The tap just isn't the same!!

But to me its worth the price for good water. Only the best for me!

Tara
Closed Thread