Old 10-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #1  

Default What foods to have on hand?

I just posted this in "Flex" but then thought it may go better here. I hope that's ok?

I've been a faithful low carber for most of my "dieting" days. DH is trying to convince me to make the switch to WW, and I am considering it.

Being so used to the LC lifestyle, I have no idea what types of foods I should have on hand for the WW plan. (We plan to join online IF we make the switch)

LC foods include: full fat sour cream, pepperoni and summer sausage, lunch meats for snacks, chicken breasts, zucchini, eggs, etc., etc. So what about WW? What foods do you always have on hand and how many pts on average do those items count for?

Thanks!!

(PS- I'm SUPER pumped about the possibility of eating potatoes again soon!! )
MamaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 315/233/168

Height: 5'9

No food is off limits, per se, but this is what I am having success with :

Low fat protiens (Chicken, fish, turkey)
veggies (frozen or canned, but frozen is so much better)
Fruit
Low fat dairy (FF Sour Cream, Yogurt, skim milk, 2% Cheese)
Whole wheat pasta and breads

My diet is full of healthy carbs and high in fiber. It keeps me full. I am down 80.5 pounds as of today!

I HIGHLY suggest going to the meetings. They really make a difference to me.
Urban Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #3  

You can still have a nice diet full of protein, dairy and veggies but you will need to choose leaner versions of the meats and dairy. You will want to have good carbs like fruit, oatmeal, rice (brown is best), whole grain pasta and bread, beans and even potatoes

Some good things I like to have on hand are lean deli turkey/ham, low fat string cheese, romaine lettuce, chicken breast, fat free refried beans, and seasonal fruit (in summer it was watermelon, now it is changing to oranges), frozen veggies, pasta, and light dressings (Newman's has some really good ones).
kissesmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #4  
Mrs. S.

Default Snacks

I try to keep a box of WW bars in my vehicle in case I need a quick snack.

Susan
CHS_teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:30 AM   #5  

Just think of a Low-fat LC and that is pretty much Core..with a little dairy thrown in.People say that core is not LC but it really is especially with the limit on certain grains per day.
cuteazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I think I'd have to disagree with you there - I don't think of Core as low-carb... at all. Core really only restricts refined carbs and those carbs that people routinely overdo - potatoes, pasta, and rice. Fruit, other grains (oatmeal, quinoa, barley, bulgar, etc), and legumes are all Core and pack a carb punch. Also there's the fact that if you want a hunk of french bread you can certainly have it so long as you count points for it. I'm not sure that Core was intended to be thought of as low-carb, and I would imagine a low-carber switching to Core would have a tough time trying to find a balance between their low-carb diet and Core (the dairy and most meat instructions would be different).
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #7  

It was my understanding that the core program started after WW went public and started to lose money because many people started to follow a LC lifestyle.There are a few articles about this on the internet but i'm not sure If I can post links.

Many people automatically think of Atkins when Lc is mentioned and they also see Atkins as mostly fatty meats and low fruits and veggies.Atkins has stages and in It's final stage it is similar to the core program.

The food pyramid recommends 6 servings per day of the grain group.Anything less than that,IMO,Is LC.Because it's lower than the recommended.The core program puts a limit on the higher carb grains and no limit(I think) on the higher fiber,lower carb grains.In every Low carb diet book that I have read they tell people to include the high fiber grains into their diet at some stage,and if they don't get sugar cravings from that grain.

I am on flex until next week and i'm switching to core.From looking at different menus on my WW site.I realized that The core WOE is very similar to my Atkins maintenance But,WW is more fun because I Can include the occasional treat.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #8  

oops..I never answered the Op's question.

I like to have Turkey breast,chicken legs and thighs,pickles,center cut bacon,pork chops,plenty of different lettuces,tomatoes,tomato sauce,A variety of seasonings like basil,cumin,and garlic,Oatmeal,cream of wheat,sour cream,avocadosYou can pretty much eat the same foods but eat the LF versions.

I still eat steak and eggs but I weigh my steak so that is equal to 4-5 points.If I am low on points I will eat egg beaters instead of whole eggs.I don't like LF cheese or sour cream so I just have smaller portions of those foods.

Make sure to check out recipes you will most likely be able to find a LF version of whatever you are used to eating.Good luck.