Old 10-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #1  
Made of Starstuff

Default Weekly Topic Discussion #3

Hello everyone! Welcome to this week's discussion!

This is for anyone who wants to contribute. If you have something to say, large or small, share it with the rest of us! It benefits everyone.

This week's topic: Learning from Experience

When it comes to losing weight, learning about ourselves, and growing from our experiences is the foundation of the changes we make.

What kinds of challenges did you face when you began to lose weight?

It happens. We're faced with a situation where old habits automatically take over. All of us.

One effective way to stop an old, bad habit in its tracks is to replace it with a new, good habit.

How have you overcome an old habit?

We know ourselves best. We have to use this knowledge to continue to fight the good fight and keep building new, better food habits.

Do you still have certain problem habits? Do you have a plan in place, or need help coming up with a plan?

Lastly, imagine you walk down a certain road every single day. Each day, you keep stumbling over this pothole that is right in your path. Eventually, you learn to see this pothole as you approach it, and furthermore you try to avoid it as you see it getting closer. Soon enough, you've trained yourself to step to the side around it and no longer stumble over it.

We have to be proactive about changing our habits. If you see a pothole ahead, plan ways to step around it!

Last edited by Lovely; 10-04-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post

Lastly, imagine you walk down a certain road every single day. Each day, you keep stumbling over this pothole that is right in your path. Eventually, you learn to see this pothole as you approach it, and furthermore you try to avoid it as you see it getting closer. Soon enough, you've trained yourself to step to the side around it and no longer stumble over it.

We have to be proactive about changing our habits. If you see a pothole ahead, plan ways to step around it!
That's a great way to think about our weight loss challenges.

I think part of experience in healthy eating is learning what works for us as individuals. We each have our strong areas as well as weaknesses.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #3  
New Chick

S/C/G: 235/223/145

An issue that I am having is...I am usually hungry and will eat when I get home for work @11:30. I take my lunch and snacks for the day and count all my points. Any ideas on how to curb late night hunger?
LadyBurchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Eat

When is the latest you usually eat, before arriving home hungry at 11:30? Maybe it's just a matter of adding in another snack before you go home, or adding in a little something before bed so you don't feel like you're going to bed hungry.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #5  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

Great idea about adding another snack, and there are so many low point ones to choose from. For me I will eat a snack about 1/2 hour before I leave work so when I get home and start cooking dinner I am not stuffing myself while I wait for it to cook. Seems to work
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #6  
GmaTo8

I save points and have a bowl of oatmeal/cereal a couple of hours before I go to bed, and wouldn't be able to sleep without it. This has never affected my weight loss in a negative way. Just the opposite, actually. You'll find what works for you.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote