Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 05:53 PM   #1  
Slimwithin

Default Counting Down From 250 And Beyond - April 13.

Hello, everybody and welcome to newcomers Meanery and Twotee-99.
Twotee, you have done great losing 7.8 lb in two weeks. Fantastic.
I've been losing a little bit every week lately but Friday's WI was the TINIEST. .2 lb. Gosh, that must be less than an ounce! If I'd lost .4 I would have finally reached my 20 lb lost mark. Darn! I know I need to exercise more and get back to my weight training. Just need a push.
Did anybody see Oprah yesterday? She had on four women who are very obese and was asking them to describe how it feels to be fat and their experiences with prejudice against fat people including their own family members. I was really shocked at a couple of the parents who just didn't seem to understand that it is NOT their fault that they're fat. Most of them seemed to have DIETED their way to obesity and I know what THAT'S all about. I'm sure if I hadn't started crash dieting in my teens I never would have worked my way up to 300 lb by my late 50s. I really admired the one woman who said "I love myself and I love my body. Why would I hate it? What if I hated my body and was never able to lose the extra pounds? Should I hate my body for the rest of my life? That's a sorry way to live." So, I think what we have to try to do is accept and (yes, LOVE) our bodies as they are now and do our best to live healthier. Once we're living healthier (which means eating a low fat, nutritious, well balanced diet and plenty of water and exercise), hopefully the weight will come off naturally. But, please, let's not hate ourselves while we're doing it. If we hate ourselves, we won't feel that we're worth the effort and there goes everything down the tube!

I sure hope we'll hear from some of our regulars pretty soon. I'm beginning to wonder where everyone is.

LindaBC
Old 04-13-2002, 07:36 PM   #2  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

I'm crawling out from under my rock to say Hi!

I've been plugging along OP since the Wednesday debaucle (sp?). Have walked each day along with my aquajogging on tues., Thurs. and Sat.

So glad to see new faces. Hope we can help you along you weight loss journey.

My challenge today was a 50th anniversary luncheon for my Aunt and Uncle. I had a bit of fruit salad before I went since lunch would be later than my usual time and I was really worried I'd stress eat being around so many family members that I haven't seen in ages and ages.

Well, as soon as I got there I grabbed a glass of red wine and got as far from the cheese and crackers and pepperoni as possible. The buffet was not the best so it was easy to skip most and just take small portions of a pasta and a slice of beef and grilled peppers and onions (skipped the fried chickie, sausage, meatballs and the canned string beans). Too bad the shrimp was all gone before I got to it. Had a lot of salad, and was not hungry for the cake. I didn't stress eat (patting myself on the back) but I drank enough coffee (trying to keep my hands busy) to keep me awake for a week.
Everyone was pleasant. NO ONE mentioned that they'd noticed that I'd lost ANY weight. I think they must all be blind . Believe me almost 70 lbs. does show but these folks just don't see what's right in front of them so I'm not bothered. At least no one said I looked bigger than the last time they'de seen me. That's a plus. Family, ya just gotta love em.

Keep up the good work ladies and get outside to take a walk and enjoy thse lovely Spring evenings.

ttyl,
Old 04-14-2002, 12:31 PM   #3  

Default TODAY'S MENU & Some Comments

Menu first:
BREAKFAST - 10 PTS.

1 Slice High Fiber Toast
1 Soft Boiled Egg
1C. OJ

Then met some friends and splurged on a Dunkin Donut!

LUNCH - 5 PTS

1 Slice HF Bread
3 oz Turkey
1 tsp. Mayo
1/2 of one roasted red pepper
1 nice big dill pickle

DINNER - 10 PTS.
4 oz London Broil cooked out on the grill
A nice big green salad w/1 Tbls Lite Italian (and maybe some wine vinegar to stretch the dressing)
1/2 slice of Sour Dough Bread
1 tsp. lite butter

SNACKS - 3 to 5 PTS

1c. Lite Yogurt
fat free pretzels or a very few peanuts

Linda, I found your comments on body image hitting home. I like my body but I hate what I've done to it over the years. You bet I find it hard not to be hurt by comments, or even looks, made by folks I don't even know. I find myself saying to myself

"I screwed up for years but now I am making great strides to regain a FIT body that I can enjoy living in!" "J-ann", I say:"Feel good about what you are doing and accept that others may never verbalize their positive opinions but know that this is the RIGHT Way of Life for you from now on."

I've learned to accept the body I live in now but I sure hope to improve it as life goes on.

I can't blame mine on crash dieting. Now; gluttony, lack of desire to exercise, hiding behind the fat (That's a BIG ONE), and pigging out to avoid stress or lonliness, those are my reasons for reaching for 342 lbs. WW has sure helped me work thru a lot of this stuff, as has this wonderful group and one other Usenet group that I post to infrequently but read daily. The stuff I've learned has helped me face my failures before and the setbacks I still have and go forward towards my goals.

We are all here trying to lose weight, for one reason or another, so let's do our best to help each other through the tuff spots and cheer each other on when the pounds are going down.

Going out to walk the dog now,
Old 04-14-2002, 03:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default What a beautiful Lord's Day!!

Hello Hello!

Okay, I'm an old regular dropping back in!! I cannot believe so long has gone by without posting. Did anyone have trouble getting to the thread this week? I tried earlier in the week and kept getting into weird places. Thanks for the new thread Linda!!

I've done well with the food this week. Been running right at my max for points and thanks to some exercise I've had a tiny amount of banked points. I need to take a closer look at my journal and see what I can cut back on to eliminate a few points (probably bread stuffs! )

Yesterday, I conned DH into going to Lowe's (like Home Depot) and stocked up on supplies. I have paint and border for three bedrooms and the master bath. We also got 150 windsor stones to build a rock bed along the backside of the house. The grass won't grow there and the dogs like to dig in the dirt. So I plan to build the bed and top it off with rocks. Next year, my project will be put get flowers in pots to sit on the rocks. Anyway, I digress. I unloaded the first pallet (75) all by myself. Those things must weigh 10+ pounds each. DH went to pick up a 16 yo son of a friend to help. He and I carried them to the back in wheelbarrows. He could do six and I could only do 3. I figure all that work had to be my max exercise points for the day. So just to be sure, I took the dog for a walk.

Today I got my bike down and took my first ride of the year. Didn't last long but I did it and sure worked up a sweat. We ate out at our favorite Mexican place and I got fajitas. Proud to say I brought 2/3's of the meat mixture home. Not so proud to say I chowed down on chips. But we didn't eat breakfast and won't be having much for dinner. I'll be having fajita salad's for lunch at least twice this week.

Welcome to the new faces. Congrats to everyone who is having losses!! Congrats to everyone who is making small changes in their lives. Just remember how much better off we are and how much better we feel about ourselves when we make the right choices. I've tried to read the posts but my glasses are upstairs (I'm typing in a blur now).

I did squint enough to reread your post Linda about the Oprah show. I did not see it. But your point is so right and well said. Thank you for posting that. That is something for all of us to tuck into our hearts.

I'm going to go clean the backyard (dog doodoo) and enjoy more sunshine. I'll be back down later to work on paperwork, my weekly menu and watch "We Were the Mulvaney's" on Lifetime.

Have a great Sunday afternoon. Feel the joy of spring!

Take care!
Old 04-14-2002, 05:17 PM   #5  

Hello everyone!

I'm dropping in to say hello and try to get caught up on what's going on with everyone. Boy..I've been checking our thread just about everyday and there was no activity and then I miss a day and BOOM!!! I get left behind..

I have been struggling with staying OP the last 2 weeks. I do really well for about 3 days and then blow it. I'm recommitting today to measure everything, journal and plan, plan, plan. I've been doing pretty good on exercise. I have been walking a minimum of 20 minutes each day and on most get 30-40 minutes. This is good for me since I was pretty much a couch potato before this. I did manage to lose 1 lb. last week even though I went over a few days.

Nothing much going on here. We survived the storms last week. Not as bad as the time before for us, but there was alot of damage in the surrounding area. The garden is all planted now and I even have green beans, squash and corn coming up now.

I was called Thursday and I have an interview with the school district on the position I applied for. I did not expect to hear from them so soon. I'm really excited. I hope I get it.

Linda - .2 is still a loss. That is how many consecutive losses for you? Your doing great. I saw Oprah too. I agree with you about loving ourselves. In fact I have a book that has different quotes in it helping us to focus on our weight loss journey. One of the quotes says, "You have to love yourself enough to save yourself." I have not always loved my body but somewhere in my mid thirties I came to accept myself for who I am - not what I look like on the outside. Now my reasons for losing weight are not so I can look a certain way but that I can be healthy and live longer. Of course feeling better in my clothes & looking good is a nice thing too - but not my main focus. I realize that even when I'm a size 6 that I will not have a perfect body so I love the one I have.

Determined - Good to hear from you buddy! Great going with staying OP and with eating out. You sound like your going to be very busy painting & yard work. Be sure to count them exercise points. My DH and I would love to get a set of bikes. We love riding bikes. Of course it has been years.

Stasia - That experience at the market must have been really scarry for you. I am glad everything turned out okay. I noticed you have been really working some long hours lately. Take care of yourself. It is so easy to get burn out.

J-Ann - Great going on recommitting and getting back OP. I've been having problems lately too. I like your mantra. I used to tell myself that I would rather be thin and healthy than have______. By the way all the reasons you listed for gaining weight describe me to a "T". I admire the way you handled the buffet. Way to go! Congrats on the 70 lbs. I think you look GREAT

Two-tee - Congrats on your 1/2 lb. & 1.8 lb. losses and for staying OP while eating out. Your doing great.

Meanerney - Hi and welcome to our small group. I look forward to getting to know you. This journey to lose weight and become healthier is a struggle sometimes but the health benefits keep me working on it. I want to be around to play and enjoy my grandchildren someday.

Donna - Good luck on your exercise. Let me know what you think of the firm tapes. I've borrowed my SIL Walk Away the Pounds tapes and really do like them. They are so easy to follow. I have a couple of Richard Simmons tapes and a WW Low impact aerobics tape BUT I am so uncoordinated that I can't follow them. I've heard some good things about Pilates (a form of yoga). But I hate to buy something and then not like it. I would rather borrow or see it before I buy it.

The weather is so beautiful I set some shrimp out to grill on the BBQ tonight. We slice them put a small piece of mozzarella or monterray jack cheese & tiny piece of jalenpeno inside, wrap with a small slice of bacon and sprinkle them with cajun & blackened fish spices and put them on skewers and grill. I'll serve this with a rice pilaf and brocolli steamed on the grill.

WOW I think I'm caught up with everyone! If I missed anyone I did not mean to. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I'll try to check in later and see how everyone is doing.

Last edited by Joyce W; 04-14-2002 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Hello hello!

Just a quick check-in -- I'm trying to become a little more disciplined with my computer time.

Succumbed to temptation and weighed in this morning -- lost another lb., bringing my total to 7.5 so far. Must admit I'd hoped for something a little more significant but at least it's in the right direction!

Know what you mean about liking to "try before you buy" regarding exercise tapes, Joyce. My llibrary has some old Richard Simmons and yoga tapes. I like the music Richard uses but his style of "no instructions" really irritates me. Of course no tapes are doing me any good this morning -- my VCR has started trying to munch tapes. I had bought a new VCR (current one's remote control doesn't work) but wasn't happy with the quality and couldn't ever figure how to get a timed recording out of it, so I took it back. Now I'll have to get a new one -- tapes are essential to my workout program. I'm hoping there's not too much delay before I get my Firm tapes -- I know some people have had long lag times but I paid in one chunk in order to get free priority shipping.

I'd also like to get a set of Power Yoga tapes. I used to do yoga all the time in high school and college and was quite flexible. I've lost most of that now and would love to feel flexible and limber again. Seems like it would be good for me to do of an evening when my back muscles and shoulder muscles are tight and hurt.

Yesterday's small victory: I was in a quilt class and had forgotten about all the "munchies" that people bring. I allowed myself one Twizler stick (licorice) and that was it!

See (less of) y'all later!
Donna
Old 04-15-2002, 08:20 AM   #7  

I've gotten very bad about posting -- I pull inside when I'm depressed and that's what I've done. Wah.

Anyway, I'm here and reading. This week I plan to see a personal trainer at my gym. I've hit a plateau and can't shake it. I'm frustrated (it doesn't help that my husband will say things like, "we can't buy X anymore because you eat them all" ... when not only do I count the points, but we already quit buying Y (the lower point treat alternative) because of cost). Sigh.

On the knitting front, my knitting machine is very cool (though I'm already wanting the higher end machine because I can see the limitations to this one and am ready to advance). I've knitted a dozen sweaters and blankets since beginning.

I'm sorry I'm not taking the time to reply to each of you -- its been so long since I've posted (probably not that long, it just feels that way to me), that I'm intimidated by the thought.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:04 PM   #8  

Default A New Week!

Hi everybody,

It's great to see so many posts today! I only get to check in at lunch or on breaks at work and it's so much fun to come back after the weekend and hear from everybody!

I've been OP for 2 1/2 days and will weigh on Saturday. I feel really good about it and proud of myself. I even exercised a little on Sunday, walking on the beach. It's hard for me to exercise now at 270+, but it was a beautiful day and I'm going to keep on by volunteering to walk the dogs more often (thanks J-Ann!).

Terri - Good luck with your job interview! What do you do?

Donna - I also suffer with periodic sciatica and know how debilitating it can be. Are you feeling better? The right kinds of exercise definately help, but you have to be so careful!

7.5 pounds for Donna and 7.8 pounds for Teresa is GREAT! , Congratulations!!!!

Linda BC - I agree that we need to love our physical bodies, but I think it's easier said than done. I have a real problem with it. Like when no one noticed your 70 pound weight loss, J-Ann! That must have made you so sad! (When I feel like that, I go online and buy a new outfit!)

Joyce W - You sound like a good cook, love your shrimp recipe!

Slutbunny - I'm brand new here and glad to meet everyone. My hubbie doesn't always understand my diet either. It might help to go over the program with him or show him your food diary. It looks like this online group is a great source of support. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Quote:
"It's alright, Ma, I'm only bleeding! - Bob Dylan"
Old 04-15-2002, 08:46 PM   #9  
Slimwithin

Slutbunny!!! Great to see you. I've been wondering what had happened to you. Sorry to hear you've been down in the dumps. I have another friend like you who withdraws into herself when her life takes a downturn. Seems to me that's when we need to talk to our friends the most but everybody has their own way of dealing with Life. I hope you'll stick around now that you've rejoined us. Have you heard from our pal, LilacGlitter? There's another one who has deserted us and I miss her too.

Determined, great to see you posting again too. All we can do is keep on trying.

I had a bit of a bad day yesterday (Sunday). Hubby had to work all day and, while this is not unusual, for some reason I let it get to me so what did I do? I baked HIM a layer cake....FROM SCRATCH!!! All beautifully frosted too! Well, guess who had the first...and second slices! You got it! ME! And I sure don't need it. Well, that was my bit of rebellion and hopefully I have it out of my system now. What I really should have done with all my free time was involve myself in a hobby. I have several small boxes that have been base coated that I could have spent the day painting for gifts but I never even looked at them.

Today I went looking for a pair of dressy, but comfortable shoes with support (is there such a thing?) to wear to a wedding this coming Saturday. I have bought a new outfit from Weekender fashions in a lovely blue (it's called Ocean) consisting of a straight maxi skirt, a tunic top and a collarless jacket on the theory that one color from head to toe is slimming. Anyhow, I couldn't believe the UGLY shoes out there. They are either great honking clompy things or they consist solely of lethal-looking straps. We all know what happens to tiny straps on shoes when our plump little feet start to swell. I may end up wearing my New Balance runners with my orthotic inserts. I refuse to buy a pair of shoes I'll never wear again because they are too uncomfortable. It's so hard finding nice shoes for wide feet.

Meanery good for you in persevering with the walking. It's something I keep telling myself to do but, like you, I find the extra weight really drags me down. I'm also plagued with sciatica and other low back troubles which doesn't help matters. I DID get to the pool this morning and tried to keep moving briskly through the water...better than doing nothing I suppose.

Joyce your grilled shrimp recipe sounds to die for. Yummy! Do you have any idea how many points are involved in that recipe? I just bought some frozen cooked shrimp which I like to add to a favorite vegetable & pasta dish I make frequently. Trying to eat more fish and seafood but it's very expensive, even here on the coast.
Donna congratulations on your weight loss. Keep up the good work.
I've now managed to lose for five weeks in a row. Sometimes it has been really tiny amounts but I'm not knocking that. It's still better than a gain. I too have trouble loving my body, especially when I go to try on clothes and they fit everywhere except around my huge flopping belly. Gosh, sometimes I'd just like to take a sharp knife and slice it off! Just kidding...honest! If I could figure out a way to force it all UPward and stuff it into a bra, I'd be quite the womanly figure. Of course, I'm sure most of the 19+ lb I've lost has come from my upper body, especially the boobs. Never have had much there anyhow, but when I see how some of my larger bosomed friends suffer, I suppose I should be grateful.
Anyhow, I've yammered on long enough. Hope to hear from more of you in the next few days. Anybody want to post their menus? I will start again tomorrow, if anyone is interested.
LindaBC
Old 04-15-2002, 08:53 PM   #10  

Today's menus are a bit repetitive for me! It was Free Cookie Day at Subway today ... and my kids and husband insisted on going for lunch and dinner! LOL!

Breakfast: Popcycle (0 pts)
Lunch: Subway RB with cheese, WOW Nacho Chips, Diet Coke: 8 pts
Dinner: Subway RB with cheese, Diet Coke: 6 pts
Snack: Subway free cookie: 6 pts

I need to eat more I'd guess but I'm not hungry. I'll probably pop up some airpop popcorn later and have that during my evening soak. I'm just finished with another sweater and will begin work on the next (a cool eggplant coloured thing, long with long side slits) tonight or tomorrow.

Its good to be back. I'll try to be on form and reply more specifically to y'all tomorrow. In the meantime, please know that I appreciate you all.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:43 PM   #11  

Default [color=green]MONDAY'S MENU & CHAT[/color]

Hi LADIES

I'm going to try to catch up. Food first:

Breakfast:
Eng. Muffin w/peanut butter 6 pts
OJ 1 pt
1 C. Lite Yogurt 2 pts

Lunch:
WW Penne Pasta 6 pts

Dinner:
Grilled Scallops 6 pts
Asparagus w/a bit of butter and sprinkled with paremesan 2 pts.
Fruit Salad 2 pts

Junk: Pretzels & peanuts 3or4 pts

TERRI: Missed you. Glad you're back. I got tired just reading about your rock poject. WHEW!

JOYCE: 1 more pound down ... OKAY! I tend to do what you do. 3 or 4 ggod days and a slide. I find if I keep my journal right out where I can see it, it acts lke an extra conscience. GOOD FOR YOU doing all that walking. Best of luck on he interview.

DONNA: Another pound gone for you too. HORRAY! Good move at quilting. Just one twizzler .. GREAT CONTROL!

BUNNY: Hey Jen, WELCOME BACK! Missed you too. Talk to that trainer and remember to do the little things that make the program work: drink LOTS of WATER, journal, vary your forms of exercise and what you eat and EAT AT LEAST YOUR MINIMUM POINTS! Don't short your body of calories or you'll be on that plateu forever instead of breaking thru. I wish I 1: Could Knit and 2: weren't always so warm that I never need a sweater. I LOVE sweaters! The machine sounds so neat. Bet you can't use it and eat at the same time either.

MEANERNEY: GOOD START! Walking still killsmy knees, but I do it any way. When I frist started to exercise I did it by dragging my over 300 lbs. to the wayand taking an aquajogging class. It was a BIG step for me to put on that swim suit, but I soon learned that no one at the pool had a perfect body and everyone encourages each other to do more. Well, I LOVE IT and it doesn't hurt. I go to three classes a week now and try to swim some laps at least on other day each week.

LINDA: God, I too hate buying shoes (almost as much as buying bras ). How about trying low, rubber soled sandals with adjustable straps. Just dress 'em up with nylons. Be greatful you don't have big boobs. They are, literally, a pain. As I lose weight find that I lose first on top, then bottom, then middle. I figure my body is in some sembalance of proportion maybe 1 week out of every 20 or so.

Off to bring in the critters. See you all tomorrow,
Old 04-16-2002, 03:16 AM   #12  

Good morning everyone. I can't sleep so thought I'd catch up on how everyone's day went. The interview went really well yesterday. They said I should know one way or the other by the end of the week. Still struggling with staying OP I think I was just stressed over the job interview. I don't know why I let things throw me off track . Tomorrow's a new day!

For those who asked about the shrimp points I looked up shellfish in the food companion and shrimp is listed as 2 oz. for 1 pt. The bacon I use is 1 pt per slice. Since the shrimp is so small one slice of bacon can be cut into about 4 pieces / 1/4 slice per piece of shrimp. The cheese pretty much melts so there is not much left by the time it is grilled so I usually don't count the cheese points. Last night I weighed my shrimp and estimated the number of slices the bacon would have been. I counted 4oz shrimp as 2 pts and estimated 2 slices of bacon for 2 pts.

Slutbunny - I'm so glad to hear from you. I tend to pull away when depressed as well. I have to work on sharing my problems instead of keeping them in. Maybe the exercise at the gym will raise those serotonin levels and help you feel better. Family can be really tough on us sometimes. My husband has not always been very tactful or kind. I love him dearly but he didn't have clue.... We struggle hard enough without added discouragement. BUT, my husbands last visit to the doctor was an eyeopener. He has put on alot of weight and his blood pressure has gone up. He started doing WW with me and realizes it is not as easy as it seems. Maybe you can discuss the WW plan with your husband so he understands that no food is limited as long as we count it. Share the information from our getting started booklet. Just a suggestion.

Donna - Congrats on the 1 lb loss. Your doing great. You did good with the goodies in the quilt class. I find that if I get busy with a project I don't even notice being hungry.

Meanerney- Woohooo! Great going with staying OP. I weigh 238 at 5'3" and find it hard to exercise too vigorously. I get really out of breath. So I've just been walking and trying to work up to do more. Sounds like your doing fantastic.

Linda - I know what you mean about shoes!!!! I sure wish the styles would change soon. I've just hung onto all my old pairs but they are not going to last forever Sorry to hear about the cake. My DH wanted a white cake with strawberry icing. Being the loving devoted wife that I am I made it. I did manage to stay out of it for 3 days until Dh had ate about 3 pcs. then I finally had to have a piece for myself just too much temptation sitting on the counter staring at me. I think I'll hide it tomorrow.

J-Ann - Thanks for the advice on the journal. That's a good idea. Your menu looks great.

I hope everyone has a great day.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:36 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi gang,

I seem to have a touch of insomnia for some reasons. Its 2:57 am and can't sleep. Well, I WAS asleep until DH woke me up because he was cold and wanted me over closer to him for warmth. So now I'm awake.

So I went back and caught up on my journal for the weekend. Rememered a few things I had eaten and conveniently forgotten so food wasn't as great as I thought. I too suffer from the 3/4/5 great OP days and then lose it over the weekend. No wonder I'm stuck. Weighing in is not a smart thing right now because I can tell I've got several pounds of water back on due to pre-PMS and humidity. I'll just drink up extra water and do my weigh-in next week.

Who would think you'd be complaining of heat and humidity in APRIL? It was so hot in the house yesterday evening, we escaped to the backyard and didn't cook. We mowed the yard and I started on my rock bed. Of course, by the time we got around to eating, I was tired and starved and the only thing we could think of at 9 pm was Wendy's. No smart choice tonight.

I have a rough idea of our menu this week. I tend to eat simple things for breakast and lunch.

Breakfast: waffle/boiled egg/yogurt/milk combo's
Lunch - frozen dinner, apple, orange

dinner 1 - Red bean soup (haven't counted the points yet but its an Emeril recipe I've been dying to try.

dinner 2 - grilled chicken, cauliflower, light cheese sauce, salad

dinner 3 - albacore tuna (FF mayo) sandwiches, fruit

dinner 4 - grilled hamb patty, broccoli, oven fries

dinner 5 - lean pork loin chop, beets, sauteed peppers & onions

Exercise or activities to keep away from food - bike or spinner, cleaning bathrooms, shampoo carpets, ironing, yardwork

BUNNY! Welcome Back! I've missed you! Sorry to hear that you are stuck in a plateau. Hopefully the personal trainer can get you going again. You may not be eating enough points or getting enough fat. I'd also recommend more veggies/fruit but if I remember correctly, you're not a veggie person. Your body may need the variety to get your metobolism going. Just hang in there and don't give up. You'll get going again. You've done so great so far and you've always been such an inspiration to me about hiking and working out.

Joyce - Hope the interview results turn out the way you want. Get focused again and whip the stress monster. DH will love your shrimp recipe.

J-Ann - Grilled scallops? Sounds wonderful. How do you make them? DH would love that too.

Linda - I hear you about the shoes. Wide shoes are hard enough to find let alone shoes that are solid enough to provide support. Last year, I found a pair of slides at Shoe Carnival. Solid wedge heel so at least they aren't flimsy. You might try something like that.

Meanerney - Welcome to the group. Dog walking is great. I used to walk our rott 2 miles each day. Now that we got him a bulldog playmate (whom I WONT walk) he doesn't have as much energy left for me. WAH! Walking is great exercise. Just keep at it and soon you'll be walking even more. Just takes perserverance.

Donna - Just remember if you lose just one pound a week, that's 52 pounds in a year. I remind myself periodically that its the turtle that wins the race so hang in there. Good job with the twizzler.

Okay, I'm getting sleepy now so I better go back to bed and hopefully catch a few zz's before the alarm goes off.

LILAC AND GINA - WHERE ARE YOU??? WE MISS YOU!
Old 04-16-2002, 07:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

OK, yesterday's menu first:
breakfast: 2/3 C. cottage cheese, 1 can Dole tropical fruit - 4 pts.

lunch: 1 C. raw spinach, 1 chopped apple, 4 oz. artificial lobster, Kraft free dressing - 3 points
2 servings popcorn - 2 points

dinner: curry tuna salad - 5 points (this is my new recipe for the week, obtained from Dottie's Weight Loss Zone/50's group. Pretty good!)
2 slices rye bread w/ diet margarine - 6 points
1 C. 1% milk with 4 graham crackers - 6 points
Total: 26 points

Linda: Have you ever tried SAS (San Antonio Shoes)? Very comfortable and come in sizes that include wide, my personal challenge. They have a slip-on pump with a moderate wedge heel that I wear to my dress-up jobs -- looks like I'm wearing dress shoes but gives me enough support to not break/sprain an ankle while lugging 50 lbs. of equipment.

Didn't realize you were a Weekenders fan -- I'm a coordinator! I *love* those clothes and rarely wear anything else. You're absolutely right about one color, head to toe, being the most slimming thing we can wear. And since we're comfortable it's easier to smile and have a good time!

I'm having a few attitude problems today -- got a bunch of transcripts dumped on me yesterday through a foul-up at the office ... have to do them PDQ as the student has a test coming up, and this student is extremely vocal -- in other words, doesn't hesitate to *****. This will translate out to about a month's rent, which I'll be grateful for this summer, I know. But the immediate effect is that I have less quilting time, which always makes me grumpy.

Have a short captioning assignment today. While I'm out, I'll swing by library and return 4 of 5 Elizabeth R videos (couldn't watch #5 yet due to VCR malfunction) and pick up a book that I had reserved that's come in. Will also try to do some VCR shopping. And maybe I'll get in a short stint quilting, with luck ...

Have a great OP day, everyone!
Donna
Old 04-16-2002, 11:14 AM   #15  

Wink

Hi All,
Sorry this will not be a personal response as there have just been a flurry of replies since I last posted and I've lost track. With my fragile intellectual capabilities lately (ask Linda aka Anne) I'm afraid to even begin. I've had a very unpleasant weekend. My 51 year old SIL has gone into congestive heart failure including two instances of cardiac arrest. This woman has been treated for panic disorder for the last two years since she has been complaining of shortness of breath and chest pains. There seems to be a slight improvement in her condition today and we're all hoping for the best. Also, (tiny in comparison) both of my ears are infected and I have a throat infection. In all my adult life (spanning decades and decades!) I have been on antibiotics only twice - this is the third time. I think I've been pushing myself too hard at work and something finally gave. I decided to take a day off work to recuperate - my staff are stunned!
I'm sorry I didn't see the Oprah show on body image, it sounds very interesting. You know, if I really think about it , I don't think fat has as much to do with my negative body image as you would think. I spent the first 30 years of my life very slim - 5'9" 128 lbs. -my body conformed to our cultures idea of beauty - yet I never felt beautiful. I was always uncomfortable and focused only on my flaws. At 48 (soon to be 49) and now more than 130 lbs. overweight I'm still unhappy with my body and its imperfections (which are legion!) I belong to the local gym which has a whirlpool and sauna. Many women who have "imperfect" bodies, who are quite overweight etc. are comfortably nude in the changerooms and using the sauna/whirlpool facilities. They blow dry their hair nude, they put on make-up nude while I hide like some fifteenth century nun in a small stall covering up my body. Twenty years ago and 150 lbs. ago, I would also have been in that stall. I just don't know the explanation for it.

Slutbunny's recent withdrawal made me think of an article I read today on the effect of fish on mood. Some doctors at Harvard are having great success treating depression with fish oils. The old Omego 3's we've been hearing so much about. It seems that the statistical incidence of depression and bipolar disorder in a society is directly linked to the amount of fish consumed per capita. The article recommended eating seafood 3 times per week and, at the same time, eliminating soy and corn oil (often present in margarine) as both block the obsorption of Omega-3s. Other sources of Omega-3s are flaxseed, walnuts, wild plants and game. Because I have had a bout with moderate depression and am unable to take antidepressants, I am very interested in dietary methods of eliminating the disease.

Have I babbled enough yet? Are you even now tearing out your hair, thinking does she ever shut-up? The short answer is yes.

Stasia:
Closed Thread