Old 07-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Hungry Girl Cookbook... Question??

Hi. I just purchased the HG cook book recently and I LOVE IT!! Anyways, I live on PEI, Canada and I cannot find "Tofu Shirataki" anywheres, I never heard of it before either, but alot of fun and good looking recipes call for it...any one know where I can find this product??
Thanks!
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

You can usually find them at whole foods type grocery stores, you know, the greener stores. It is in a refrigerated section, sometimes by regular tofu. They are a great substitute if you can get past the fact that they are harder to chew. I ended up just slurping them with some spaghetti sauce. I tried the spaghetti Tofu shiritaki. They are thinner and I still had to snap threw the noodles. I wouldn't even say they are comparable to al dente pasta. More like rubber bandish. But they take on whatever flavor you put them with. My only tips are to rinse them VERY GOOD. Also, it doesn't hurt to put them in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes to get rid of any of that fishy smell. After that they say to dry them. I just couldn't stomach the thought of drying noodles, so I put them in a hot hot skillet and tried to get rid of the water that way. That worked great. Good luck! I still have the fettucine shaped ones and am scared to try them because they are such a thicker noodle. Probably means I will have to chomp really hard and fast down on them to break them.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #3  
it's always something

You might want to buy just one pack to try, don't be tempted to stock up. Reviews of the tofu noodles have been mixed Personally, I'd rather use something like Fiber Gourmet pasta.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

yeah, I think I will stick to regular high fiber pasta. Thanks for the answer girls!
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote