Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #1  
Patty

S/C/G: 208/195.4/150

Height: 5'5"

Default South Beach vs WW

I am currently following the South Beach diet and have had good results. My work is starting a WW at work program and I signed up. I think it will be good for me. Does anyone know what kinds of differences there are between South Beach and WW? I like the flexibility and the foods South Beach has. To be honest, I'm a little nervous.

Do you like Core or Flex better?

Patty

Last edited by Slimmin Patty; 07-23-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Slimmin Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #2  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

I like Core better. I like not having to count points all of the time and most people tend to eat healthier if they do Core. You can still incorporate some of the same principles of South Beach while on Weight Watchers. The two can be very complimentary. No one but you has to know eactly how you're following the plan and/or making it work for you.
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I used to do WW. I'm a lifetime member. I weigh in once a month. I've been on South Beach since January and lost 22# in about 12 weeks. Couldn't lose on flex anymore. I don't know what the differences are with core though. When I weigh in they ask me what plan I am following and I tell them South Beach, but she just marks me down for core. The monthly weigh-in helps keep me on plan.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #4  
GmaTo8

WW members are encouraged to follow the 8 Daily Healthy Guidelines that incorporate healthy portion control, eating at least 5 fruits and veggies, at least 2 milk products, including protein-rich foods, including whole grains, limiting alcohol, high-sugar and high-fat foods, drinking at least 6 glasses of water, and taking a multi-vitamin. Most of these very guidelines are supported by SB as well, so the 2 plans work nicely together, once you get past the Phase One of SB. WW, however, allows the use of your points for not-so-healthy foods, too. This can be a help or a hindrance, depending on your ability to eat these foods in moderation.

I truly feel that the way your are going into the WW plan, with such a positive attitude, will be beneficial to your overall success.

Please make yourself at home here in the WW forum, and if I can help you in any way, just holler.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Welcome, Patty. It's great that there is a WW at work program. Hope it goes well for you! I'm happy to hear that SB has been going well for you.

I tried SBD myself, about 3 times last year. I could never make it past 5 or 6 days of P1. Even though it was only temporary, I could never get over "no fruits, no grains, no breads" for a full two weeks, even if the breads and grains were of the whole variety. I often thought that I'd do okay on it if I could just skip straight over to P2, where I could have fruit, oatmeal, brown rice, etc.

I did lose a few lbs that did stay off, so that's a good thing. I've tried so many different plans, but none was the right "fit" for me as far as sticktoitiveness was concerned. I have found that with WW Flex. With WW it doesn't feel like I'm doomed to undo everything I've worked for if I go over my points. I can have the piece of pizza here or there if I want and have it be on-plan. If I have a taste for something, I can have it and have it just count into my points. I need the flexibility that WW allows. Even when I mess up, I keep wanting to get back on track, rather than feeling frustrated with the plan or like a failure for not getting it exactly right.

Even though I'm on Flex, I've learned that I use my points much more wisely if I stick to Core-type/South Beach-type foods, and keep it lighter on things like pizza . I've recently thought of interspersing a more SB-like day once or twice a week, but count my points and follow my regular Flex thing the rest of the time. Just to mix it up a little and see if I increase my loss any.

That's the beauty of so very many diet/get healthy/lifestyle change plans being out there. I believe that each plan works for at least some people, but believe that there is not one single plan that works for EVERYONE. Everyone needs to find his/her "fit" and that's fine, kwim?

Anyway! Actually, if you look into WW Core, you'll find that it is very similar to SBD P2 & 3. You have lists of particular foods that you can have in unlimited quantities. Lean proteins, fruits, veggies, whole grains, healthy fats, eggs, fat-free dairy products. The difference is that even on Core, you can tap into your weekly Flex Points (Flex plan members have them on top of their regular daily points, too) and have whatever you want.

I've heard of others who do WW but follow SBD for their foods. As someone else said, the two can be complimentary. Only thing to watch, if you're considering Flex, is nuts. If you are used to snacking on nuts a lot, you'll have to pay close attention. While on SB I think you can grab a handful here & there, on WW Flex the points add up quickly.

It's wonderful that SBD has worked so great for you. Congrats!! It truly is a plan chock-full of healthy foods. I actually went through my SB Cookbook and calculated the points for all the recipes, because I love the SB recipes that much . One thing I love about the recipes is how much flavor they have considering there's usually very little salt in them.

So, good luck with whatever you do...whether it's continuing on SBD, or really checking into WW Core or Flex. WW Core is more relaxed in that you don't have to worry about portion sizes if you stick to Core foods. WW Flex is more flexible and you can eat what you want, but you have to watch portion sizes.

Whatever you so, you're welcome here! It's a wonderfully supportive board .

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #6  
Patty

S/C/G: 208/195.4/150

Height: 5'5"

Red face

I do really enjoy SB foods. One of my favs is the breakfast burrito... ww flour tortilla, eggs, turkey bacon, and low fat shredded cheese. Top it with salsa, avacado, and low fat sour cream. YUM!! I wouldn't think that it would be a huge number of points... we'll see!
Slimmin Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam View Post
If you are used to snacking on nuts a lot, you'll have to pay close attention. While on SB I think you can grab a handful here & there, on WW Flex the points add up quickly.
Actually on South Beach you are limited to 15 nuts per day (Unless pistachios, which you can have 30). As an alternative to whole nuts, you can have 2 Tbs. of nut butters.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #8  
Mindy

I have done both, and frankly WW takes the proverbial cake! It was so hard for me to stick to P2, and P1 gave me excellent results (I went from 220lbs. to 201). I faultered and then found WW. If you are already keen on SBD, the Core plan is for you. So many of my SB friends that came to WW LOVED Core. I prefer Flex, but that is bc I love my certain carbs. I can plan ahead and have the carbs I want, when I want. That is so great that your work is starting a group. Lots of success to you!
GL!

Mindy
pooka1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
Actually on South Beach you are limited to 15 nuts per day (Unless pistachios, which you can have 30). As an alternative to whole nuts, you can have 2 Tbs. of nut butters.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up, Anne. I have misplaced my SBD book. It was an older copy anyway, purchased used. I know the food lists keep changing. I could also just be remembering incorrectly!

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote