Old 06-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #1  

Height: 6'0"

Default Thin4Life - Week of 6/29/08

Hello everyone. Almost July. I am amazed at how fast this year is going.

Well, I am officially disgusted with myself. As I reported last week, I'm at my goal weight. I don't want to be there. I have maintained my weight way below that for 6 years. I overate this weekend at my godson's graduation dinner. My clothes are not fitting right. I'm going to take it one day at a time and stay OP. So far today I have made good choices.

I really need a pep talk--got any?

I hope everyone else had a good weekend.
Domina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Lisa, I totally understand where you're at. I've always been able to maintain my weight below my WW goal and the past year I haven't been able to do that and I'm frustrated, upset, and now at the point of I don't know what to do! Like you my clothes don't fit the way I want them to and I refuse to go out and buy new clothes!

I need a fresh start and something to keep me on track...how about we join forces here and make a pact to stay on track? I need something too! In August my best friend is coming in and I'll be going on vacation at the end of July and I want to feel good in a pair of shorts.

Today is the beginning of a new month and we can focus forward! I know planning is key and I haven't been doing that and I also know I need to add in more veggies (I've been lacking in this area).

Life here is crazy--we're done with 2 orientation session and we have 2 more to go. This weekend we're heading to my cousins to spend some time. I really need it. I've been dealing with my father who refuses to listen to what the doctor tells him...aaahhh! We always have fun when we visit my cousin and all of us are going (both sons and daughter-in-law) so it'll be kind of a mini family vacation. My DS #1 and wife are in the process of house hunting and they've found a house and are now waiting to get everything in line; DS #2 passed his driver's test this weekend so he's now got his license. Lots of changes and I'm feeling older each day, lol.

It's a perfect summer day here--70 degrees and sunny so I'm going to pull my sneakers on go out for a walk over the lunch hour.

Hope everyone is having a good day!
MelissaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #3  

Melissa, Sure, I'll join forces with you. I had an OP day yesterday and today is heading in the right direction. I just returned from lunch and had a big salad. I just can't believe that I've gotten to this point. My work had been crazy, but has calmed down this week. That's probably because many people are out to take advantage of the July 4th holiday.

Your weather sounds divine. Hope you got that walk in. We've been having humid weather (typical) and many thunderstorms. We need the rain, but not the lightning.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #4  

Hey, lifers. I've been invited to a cookout on the 4th and need a low-points dessert. Any ideas?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #5  

Lisa how about the cake mix with soda/pop? I use an orange cake mix, a can of sprite zero or diet orange, mix together and bake. "Frost" with light cool whip and decorate the top with mandarin oranges. Nobody will ever know it's a "light" recipe.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #6  
No Sniveling!

S/C/G: 168/130/130

Height: 5'3"

Ok, here is a great dessert!

Chips Ahoy Dessert

16 servings - 2 pts. per serving

36 reduced fat Chips Ahoy cookies
12 oz. fat free Cool Whip
1/2 Cup skim milk

Take 18 cookies, dip in the milk and line them on the bottom of a 9 x 13"
pan. Cover with half the Cool Whip. Repeat layers.

Cover & refrigerate at least 2 hours (overnight is even better). This will keep for several days (if it lasts that long! It is delish!).

Lisa-I have no words of wisdom for you since I am just barely hanging in there myself! I really would like to lose 5 more lbs. I know I shouldn't be complaining so it's just a "thought!" It's funny, and I guess this is due to my age (46) but I haven't actually gained any pounds but I seem to be thicker around my waist (and I'm still working out, usually an hour 3 days a week and 30 mins another 3 days)

Melissa-I actually thought of you last week! We went to my son's orientation/registration at ASU and I remembered you work at a university. I just didn't know if you had anything to do with orientation! Guess you do! Glad your weather is so nice. It's been frightfully hot here! It was hotter in Arizona of course but their heat seems drier or more bearable somehow!

Ok, have a great day ladies. Talk to you later. Jane

Last edited by greatchoice; 07-01-2008 at 07:21 PM.
greatchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #7  

Melissa and Jane, Thanks for the recipes. Do you know the points values and how big a piece?

I was OP again yesterday. As I said, I'm taking it one day at a time. Jane, I really want to lose 8-10 pounds and perhaps that's a lot to ask. Ever since menopause it's just really hard to do (I know, excuses, excuses). I also made bad choices. I don't really like fried foods, but in the past couple weeks, I was eating french fries and onion rings--go figure.

Melissa, If it makes you feel better, I was visiting my mother over the weekend and saw one of her friends. Her friend has to take Synthroid; she was complaining that her weight just doesn't come off, so I guess it's a side effect of that medication.

We have had terrific storms here. I like the rain, but the lightning is sometimes frightening. The fires have calmed down which is a good thing.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #8  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I had been working like a mad woman, and then we had a BBQ on Sunday with family. During which I strained a muscle in my back (lumbar) and I could barely function after 2pm because of that. It was horrible. I could barely walk around, let alone clean dishes and help host and entertain! My mom actually wanted to leave early because of it but I wouldn't let her. My parents rarely comes to visit because they have a home business.

So now my back and right hip are killing me again. The hip didn't start hurting until Monday and I know it was because I pulled the back muscle and so was walking funny and that tweaked whatever was wrong with my hip before. So I went to the doc on Monday and he put me on flexitor (?) - a muscle relaxer - and sent me back to physical therapy. I had my first session yesterday, and another tomorrow. Then every Tuesday and Thursday for 6-8 weeks or until I'm better. Its actually getting a little better every day, so I'm hoping I won't take the whole 6-8 weeks in PT.

I haven't been writing down what I eat lately. That class I was in last week killed me. I KNOW I've gained a few pounds back. Plus I've just been so stressed lately and that doesn't help either because when I'm stressed out I tend to just not care when I am eating what is actually going into my mouth. It’s a good thing I can't bend over to put the scale on the floor because I don't think I would like the number!

Lisa - How about Angel Food Cake with some Fruit Salad for a dessert? I just did that on Sunday for the BBQ I hosted.

Sorry, I just skimmed the posts really quick. I will have to really catch up later!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #9  

[B]Lori,[B] Good to hear from you. So sorry about your back. I've done that and I can relate--painful! I'm glad you're on the mend. As you may have seen, I also have not been writing down what I ate and the scale shows it. This made me LOL when you wrote: It’s a good thing I can't bend over to put the scale on the floor because I don't think I would like the number!.

I think I will make Melissa's recipe if she could tell me the points. I do like Jane's idea, too and will make that for DH.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #10  

Lisa: If you look at the back of the box you would need to calculate the calories (dry) x # of servings and then divide into how many pieces you are serving (12, 18, 24) to get the actual calories per serving. I think when I did the orange cake before it came out to 2 points per serving (I cut them into smaller pieces) and I figured that the light cool whip was low enough that it wouldn't count. Does that help? I may have a mix at home and I could check it out this evening if that would help.

Another small gain at the scale today .2 Now I'm really frustrated. The ever creeping scale is getting me down. I really am questioning why I'm continuing to attend meetings when it doesn't seem to be helping me! Grrrr! Could it be perimenopausal issues? I'm 46 and still have my ovaries. I haven't noticed any major changes with my clothes the way they fit.

Jane: I do a lot with orientation--our office runs it and I'm the queen of lists, The chips ahoy dessert sounds good.

More later.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #11  

Melissa, That will work--thanks for the points info. Gosh, I know that you are frustrated with the gain, .2 could be nothing at all. I know, I know, lots of .2's add up. Perimenopause did not cause me weight issues, it was postmenopause that I saw a big difference.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #12  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Well I got on the scale. I hadn't done that in a few weeks. I was up 5.4! I'm sure some of that is water weight. I'm back to healthy eating and trying not to be stressed out too much about work (which is what mostly got me to not think about eating healthy).
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #13  

Lori: You sound as crazed as I am with work! It's a busy time of year for us. I'm really looking forward to the long weekend. I've had so many aches and pains lately that I don't know what "normal" feels like. Just when I get one thing back to normal something else seems to crop up. At least my legs/ankle joints aren't aching any more. Still having issues with water retention and need to talk with the doctor about that.

It's raining here this morning and it would have been a good day to stay in bed and sleep in! The flip side is that my boss is off today so I'm enjoying a nice quiet day. I have only one of my 3 student workers in the office so it's pretty quiet. I need to work on some of my bills and get some correspondence done but that won't be bad.

We're heading to my cousin's tonight after work and I'm looking forward to spending some time with her.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #14  

I'm so glad that it's almost the long weekend--aaaahhh.

DH and I are playing in a golf tournament tomorrow and then going to a cookout. On Saturday night, we're going to dinner with friends. Do you see the common denominator? Lots of food! I've been OP all week, so I'm hoping to make good choices. Melissa's orange cake should be a hit.

Melissa, I hear you on the body aches. Some days I don't know what's going on, but I sure get the aches. I understand it after I've worked in the yard or something. I haven't been sleeping well either, so that has something to do with it.

Have a Happy 4th, everyone.