Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 02:46 PM   #1  
Growing in Christ

Default General ? re: ww mat'l

I have not yet started ww... and am still debating between the WW At Home, and the WW Online. As I just gave birth to our fifth child a week ago... I really can't see fitting a meeting into my schedule just now!!

My question is, what mat'l do YOU consider the most valuable?? If I were to get some things off e-bay, to save money... what would you consider essential for success?

Thanks for your input!

Patricia
Old 02-10-2002, 08:22 AM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

This is just my oppinion so please take this forwhat it is worth. I think it is great you are thinking about taking off the baby weight. I think 1 week is a little soon. your hormones are stil out of wack and if you are nursing that is only going to add to it. I think you should wait a few weeks, JMHO.

That said, I think ALL of the WW program is important. That is what makes it work so well. You need the suport ( which I think you can get lots of right here. ( right Cin?)

I also think it is worth it to go and sign up and go for a few weeks to learn the program. You can bring the baby, and some places even have classes that the kids can go to. Don't sell yourself short trying to get things and not have the information you need to get through it. We all want to see you succeed, take your time and do it slowly, there is no quick fix to weight loss.

Congradulations on the new baby! Boy/ Girl? More power to you, it is amazing to be the caretaker and teacher to so many young minds.

Be well,
-L

Last edited by L144S; 02-10-2002 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:14 AM   #3  

Congrats on your new baby! Whew, you are one busy lady.

I lost my weight doing WW on my own and consider myself to be one of those people that the meetings aren't all that critical. Nor have I found all of the program materials to be all that beneficial. That's just me. The items I found to be most critical are:

-Points Finder
-Basic Program Guide, "Getting Started"
-"Complete Food Companion" booklet
-"Dining Out" restaurant companion booklet

I got my materials, and made my decision about the benefit of meetings, by joining up and attending a few meetings. The "points finder" and the "getting started" were provided at the first meeting upon joining. The companion booklets were purchased separately at the meeting. Good luck.

p.s. I don't want to discount the value of a weight loss support group. For me, the online support I received from 3 Fat Chicks was all I needed and was available 24 hours a day.

Last edited by Rupertsmom; 02-10-2002 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:41 PM   #4  
Growing in Christ

Thanks for your input ladies, and I'm glad you've been so successful!

I know it's only been a week (9 days ), but it's not the baby fat I'm worried about getting rid of... it's that 60 extra lbs I had BEFORE getting pregnant!! I'm not planning on starting any exercise until 6 weeks post, but was hoping to start getting my eating habits under control a little sooner!

My husband will be doing to program with me, so I'll have support at home, as well as online.

And... our newest blessing is a little boy That makes it 3 girls, and 2 boys.... a little more even, much to my older son's approval!!!

Patricia
Old 02-10-2002, 08:56 PM   #5  
Owned by Dixie

Hey congradulations, I think it is great to have the suport at home. I did very well on WW. I lost 45 lbs 3 years ago and have managed for the most part to keep it off. I am still up 7 an DH and i are counting cals. He couldn't manage the points thing and I couldn't keep trying to convert caloried to points, so like a good wife i changed my plan after 3 years. I really wanted him to go on a diet and so far so good.

Anyway glad to hear you are looking to start, but I don't have to tell you that the next 6 weeks will be tough with the late nights, middle of the night, early mornings and all day being nice to the other 4 kids.....lol.
Don't beat yourself up if you can't get it going in the next few weeks. You have a lot on your plate and lack of sleep will lead you to want more food to get some quick energy.

If you do start, eat to the top of your points for a while and if you are nursing you will have to eat those points too. 6 weeks from now we should be into spring and you can get out to walk with the kids.

You can do this. WW is a great program to learn how to eat for a lifetime and better yet, be able to teach the kids to make good choices too. You can all eat the same things and they can eat what you cook.

Good luck,
be well,
-L

PS I am impressed by 5, i feel outnumbered by my 2...lol
Old 02-11-2002, 12:27 AM   #6  

Just a few thoughts - don't know if you are famililar with the WW points system. And, if you are nursing (which I know nothing about--- proud mommy of a 160 mastiff/dane mix) you really need to check out the guidelines for that. Plus, as you mentioned, careful on the exercise.

However, I would say it is NOT too early to learn the WW system. Even if you are eating way more than your range, write it down. Then, when you are "ready", you will know a lot about it. Plus, if you are keeping track but not trying to stay within a certain range..... wouldn't you still say NO to the 10 point dessert?

BTW, I lost about 5, then my mom gave me the ww "getting started" book. I loved it! I can have "bad" things and just budget them in. I did this by myself and lost 15 more. Then, I joined WW. Went 4 times, first 2 I didn't care for the leader (=picky). 3rd time, LOVED the leader. Went one more time to her (down 2 more lbs!), then had business trips, the holidays, etc. Started to follow the points system again in late January, but refused to "go back" until I was at the weight I left WW at (stuipd). Went back last week - will let you know what I think about it all.

Wishing you all well for the joys in your future.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:23 AM   #7  
Owned by Dixie

Hey Baily,
Where you from? I live on the Nroth Shore. I agree with all of your points. Learn the program, write it down drink your water. Have a great day!

-L
Old 02-11-2002, 11:26 PM   #8  

L144S, Live in Beantown. Thinking about making a move soon, though!
Closed Thread