Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:24 AM   #31  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes! I know this is going to be a great year. I used a couple of extra points for a glass of Merlot and a chocolate (Lindor dark) My daughter made me the most beautiful birthday card with a drawing of a cake, a sunflower, and a portrait of me ... aawwww!

Ann - You are so right, nothing is more important than remembering to enjoy life!

Paige - Congrats on your exciting news!! I really hope things work out for you!

Linda - I have had so many of those days. I think I had about 10 in a row since Halloween which is why I so need to be here! I am so sorry to hear about the theft. What a low down thing to do.

I agree it is tough to set challenge goals. Right now I want to be compassionate with myself. During stressful times this is so important. I like the idea of challenges that test our ability to do the day-to-day things we need to do ... points, exercise, water ... because if we do that the other stuff will take care of itself.

Briza - I think you are doing great!! One day at a time is the way to go. Sometimes one meal or one hour at a time for me.

Tech - Great job staying OP. I love when people post menus ... it is so helpful.

Janelle - You are doing great, keep it up!!

Kim - WTG on staying OP. I am with you with the exercise. My schedule is so completely unpredictable that I've totally fallen off the wagon there. My plan is to keep the eating under control for the next couple of weeks and then build the exercise back in when my semester is over. I do walk a lot and do yoga so it's not completely gone.

Sandra - Congrats on the loss!

Ms. - Are you doing WW? Can you figure out the points for your mom's food and just eat the portions that are right for you? It's always tough when family doesn't seem to support your goals.

OK I need to finish my wine and get to sleep! Have a great day tomorrow all.
cheers
Erika
Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 AM   #32  

Kim, time to start planning. I can't tell you how much better I feel about myself when I sit down here at the computer and plan out each day's food intake. I don't always stick with exactly what I plan, but it's very helpful to look at an entire day's meals all at once and figure out a balance.
Yesterday and the day before were a bit what I could call "sketchy" and I missed my healthy oils. I have to do better today!
MS2B....firstly welcome. I'm celebrating for you and it doesn't matter what day you finally choose to start a healthy lifestyle! I like your attitude and there is not time like now to start being on track, in fact this is the best time as it's a time you have chosen to take the first step.
I think you mom is probably worrying about making her wonderful holiday recipes that you love and feeding them to you, that is something I'd be worrying about. I have a very good friend who needs to lose about 60 or 70 pounds, easily. She is having terrible trouble with her knees and her doctor told her to exercise. Her own mom died suddenly at about this woman's age of a heart attack, yet she just told me a few weeks ago when I offered to get her a guest pass to the gym that she was going to "wait until after the holidays". I'm scared for her as with her weight and family history, that heart attack that killer her mom could come to visit her as well. You are young, you are probably not worrying about heart attacks, but if you don't start this healthy lifestyle now, you could be several years from now.
So, on Thanksgiving day, eat what the family eats and do well, put a few more vegetables than you usually have on your plate, have a slightly smaller piece of pie and maybe have frozen yogurt on it vs. premium ice cream. If everyone else goes for a turkey sandwich later (which repulses me as it's way too much of a good thing) have a salad and put some shredded turkey, low fat cheese and cranberry vinaigrette dressing on it. You'll feel so much better about yourself. Go for a walk that day while the turkey is cooking and exercise the day before and day after the holiday.
Then, when it's time for holiday baking, you can do the baking and enjoy the smells and scents of the holiday package and FREEZE the cookies and then package and give them AWAY or make sure they are put out only when company arrives and re-frozen after they leave. Ask for a gym membership for Christmas this year and actually go there, if no one gives it to you or you can't afford it, walk. Get friends together and go to the mall and walk, but don't give in to eating the junk food there!
Erika, I was remiss - Happy Belated Birthday! I was wishing it to you, but never got round to typing it! Hope you have a great day!
I love this, that you said, and it bears repeating here:
"I agree it is tough to set challenge goals. Right now I want to be compassionate with myself. During stressful times this is so important. I like the idea of challenges that test our ability to do the day-to-day things we need to do ... points, exercise, water ... because if we do that the other stuff will take care of itself."

Excellent! My challenge is definitely that kind of a challenge for the holidays. At least three times a week exercise, breath, drink that water, stick with the program. AND, if I fall off the wagon, I get right back on the next day and none of that "the heck with it, I blew it" stuff.

Also, Ms...., some of us post our food plan here as it's really helps to plan ahead and figure out your day. You want to make sure to get in calcium servings, as I presume you are fairly young? You really need that, but it should be fat free or low fat, not whole milk and things like that.
Will mom spring for Weight Watchers for you? Do you have money of your own and transportation to get there? If you are below 16 (not sure what the age really is?) Weight Watchers makes you go to a doctor and get a note with permission and a goal weight. It's important not to starve yourself and to get the proper nutrients. If you stick with us, and you are welcome to do so, read what some of us eat in a day and post about and try to follow that kind of thing if you can't afford WW meetings.

So, here is my meal plan for today:

Breakfast:
Egg white omelet, veggies sautéed in 2 tsp olive oil, fat free mozzarella cheese
grapefruit sections

Snack: (yes, another quilt group today)
3 or 4 low fat triscuits (I bring snack today) and about 2 tsp cheese spread
2 thin wafer cookies
I'm calling all of this 4 points and hope I stick with ONLY this

Lunch:
turkey cutlet cooked in skillet with non-stick spray
great Northern beans
spinach or butternut squash (depends on my mood)

Dinner:
I found a recipe on the back of a can of Del Monte wax beans, it's CORE and I'm trying it - finally using that leftover chicken I've been wondering what to do with as today would be the last day I'd trust it.

Primavera Pasta Skillet

6 ounces spaghetti or fettuccini (whole wheat CORE for me of course)
1 cup broccoli floweret's
one can Del Monte diced tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano (I have plain ones here but will add my own garlic, basil and oregano to taste)
1 can Del Monte cut wax beans, 14 1/2 oz, drained
2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey

I thought I'd post this as several of you might have leftover turkey after next week and this is a nice idea, actually.

1. Cook pasta, adding broccoli during last three minutes of cooking time, drain
2. Meanwhile, combine undrained tomatoes and wax beans in large skillet. Bring to boil, reduce heat, stir in chicken and cook 2 minutes uncovered.
3. Transfer pasta to serving platter, spoon over tomato mixture toss before serving, garnish with shaved parmesan if desired.
All except the parmesan, it's CORE and it does sound quite good.
I'll be using whole wheat penne pasta, I think.
Dessert will be my CORE blueberry cobbler with lite Cool Whip.
Have a very successful day!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 05:14 AM   #33  

One more thing, I was so happy to start my art class yesterday afternoon. Instead of spending a Tuesday afternoon fretting about weather or not I was going to weigh in with a loss, I spent it in a relaxed setting with other artists painting with oils while listening to classical music. Certainly a much more productive use of my time! : )
I have no work to show you all yet, will photograph when I have something at home. The oils take a long time to dry so I left my unfinished painting at the gallery and will work on it, perhaps finishing it, next week. I am very happy with it so far, though.

Last edited by derrydaughter; 11-14-2007 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #34  
Donna

Good Morning Chickies,

Kind of bumming this morning, I was hoping to get to tag along with DH to Chicago for the day, but it didn't work out So instead I'm going to strip wallpaper what fun. Yesterday was pretty good. Went with my folks to the park to walk, I couldn't believe how beautiful the weather was. Last week we met at the mall and figured that'd be the place for the rest of the year, but it was so nice out we changed venue, the dogs were happy. I did have an extra glass of wine with dinner, so I used 3 flex points, but still not to bad. Today it's just me and the dogs, so we'll see what happens.

Menu:
b - kashi go lean, soy milk, banana - 5
s - grapes - 1
l - l/o mexican black bean soup, homemade ww bread, yogurt - 8
s- fiber one bar - 2
d - quesidilla, salad w/drsg - 11

27 used/27 allowed

The quesidilla is using up some l/o chicken, mushrooms, leeks and cheese, I've planned for 2, but may not eat all of both, we'll see. Looks like if I want that wine spritzer in the evening I'll have to get in some AP.

Sorry I don't have time to post to everyone, but I'm thinking of you all. Have a great day everyone.

-Tech
Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #35  
Kim

S/C/G: 210/150

Height: 5'5

Hey gang!

Looks like the carb control worked.... I dropped 2lb. Yeah! Boy talk about your motivation to do more. It would be great to see 2 more come off before next Thursday. I think I am in the right frame of mind for Thanksgiving day (provided I don't blow the week between now and then), but in the shower this morning... I realized that we are going to the IL's cottage and they will be there and ugh.... that is going to be tough. Although they are suppose to be eating healthier (he is diabetic and she is a recovering cancer survivor), they don't and they eat even worse when they know the kiddies are going to be around. I think I need to really plan to take some snacks, veggies, and good stuff so that I can try and moderate all the gunk that is going to be there.

Well, I just wanted to stop in quick. I need to run some errands for DH, meeting a friend for lunch, and then basketball practices with the kiddies. Busy busy busy. Need a plan for the day.... hummmm.... yogurt for breakfast, shoot for a nice salad with some protein for lunch (I am not sure where we will end up, so I can't really plan but I will use my carbs for this meal I think), fruit for snack, dinner.....maybe a veggie omlet???? Has to be quick and easy.... and evening snack....some pistachios and maybe a glass of wine.
I'll have to go and figure out the points and see if I can't get a little extra somewhere.

Have a terrific day everyone!!
Kim2
Old 11-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #36  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning all.

I slept in until 845 this morning. It was awesome. I guess we all must have been really tired. Now I will have to run this afternoon as I feel like lazing about right now.

Donna, yeah it sounds like you are back on track. Way to go. Sorry to hear Chicago didn't work out for you. Enjoy your day. We too are having amazing weather. Once the cold weather hits it will be a shock.

Erika, your birthday sounded wonderful. Aren't children the best gift ever.
I too liked what you said. I wrote it down as a reminder to myself. It is common sense but somehow I forget. Thanks for the reminder.

Linda, Thanks for sharing what Erika had said, I stopped and wrote it down in my journal as a reminder when I originally saw it. I started to laugh when I read your post and you had recognized it also. It was a light bulb moment for me....wow. Your Core dinner sounds good.

Kim, that is great you dropped 2 pounds, way to go. I hope you have a great lunch with your friend. Good idea to plan for the cottage with the IL's. It is funny how when people are eating healthy they don't want to deprive others of junk. Our leader figures the best gift she can give her family is the gift of knowlege for healthy eating. She slowly made changes at her house and now it is junk free. They have healthy snacks and meals now. Her family never had a weight problem, it was just as she learned more about nutrition she realized she could give them the gift of a healthy lifestyle.

Janelle, I do hope you have an awesome day. Do you still journal while counting calories?

Barb, how are you doing? I hope your day goes well.

Paige, How is your challenge going? Have a great day.

Sandra, that is great you really do get to smell the roses. It sounds like you are one busy lady.

Erica, how are you doing?

Kim, how are you and your daughter doing? I do hope your dad is still doing well.

Jackie, I saw that book on line and it isn't very expensive so I may just pick it up to read. Take Care

Welcome Ms. Good luck on your journey.

Have a wonderful day everyone and I apologize if I missed anyone.

Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 11-14-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

I had every intention of posting here yesterday but I didn't (slaps head) The sack lunch went WELL!!!!! I didn't have any leftovers but that was okay because I was well within my points. Yesterday was great too! AND (insert drumroll) I got 2 days in a row of APs for 35 minutes!!! WHOO HOOO!!!! I can taste it, I can feel it - Even just a few days of program, I'm actually feeling better. Weird how that works huh? I have dinner planned for tonight at the funeral home too - life is GOOD!!!!

Paige - HOW EXCITING!!!! I was wondering how that interview process was going.

Hello everyone! I did read that the flex points and core will be intertwined somewhat with the new program. Probably exactly what Linda was discussing about watching your snack items and non-core foods for a certain percentage of your day.

Have a good one everybody!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 141

Height: 5 5

Sandra-Congrats on the loss!!!

MsShe-I think YOU should start when YOU want to. Your mom should be supportive. Thanksgiving is just one day-it doesn't mean you shouldn't eat sensibly leading up to it. Do you live at home? Does your mom prepare your meals?

Erika-I missed your birthday....Happy Belated Birthday!!! I hope it was a wonderful day for you! I took your advice today, one hour at a time...for some reason all I want to do it stuff my face

Kim2-How did you monitor your carbs? Just bread intake or all carbs? I am curious to know, it might help to give me a little kick in the butt!

Linda-I thought of you last night, did you watch the biggest loser by any chance? They had a donut challenge and honestly I think it turned me off from donuts!!

Anne-yep, I think the cover says $25 which isn't too bad I guess. I need to pick it up again. The problem for me is that she wants you to do one day at a time (which makes sense) but I like to fit in my reading on the train. So I will just have to make time at night I guess to read each days sections.

For me, I am exhausted. I was supposed to go to a concert tonight but me and my friend I am going with both decided not to. I really feel like I am on overdrive, I am looking forward to doing nothing but relaxing and catching up on chores/errands this weekend! Yesterday, I didn't do so good at my lunch. But that is OK that is what flex points are for. Plus I journaled it when before I wouldn't have and just blown the next few days. For dinner I got right back on track and had a small salad and Progresso soup. I wasn't very hungry due to my massive lunch. Incase your wondering...avocado and tuna wrap, fries, and apple pie. And it was worth the points! I don't see any other eating out adventures within the next few days so hopefully I should be good.
Also, I feel a little more motivated because my friend and I decided to change our WI time to the AM rather then the PM. I feel like this will be much better for me.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Good afternoon everyone,
Welly yesterday I went to a WW meeting. It felt really good, to finally be back on track, especially before the holidays.

My menu so far for today:
Breakfast: coffee with 1% milk, WW yogurt with 1/4 cp. fitness crunch: 3.5pts.
Lunch: 1.5cups WW mushroom and wildrice soup 4pts. Roasted broccoli with olive oil 1 pt.
Snack: FF, SF vanilla latte and more broccoli: 3pts.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 11-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #40  
focused and aiming

Hi, Chickies. I have a little more time today cuz we're not doing much work on the ranch. I want to tell ya'll about last night and today.

Last night I went with 6 gf to Olive Garden. One gf and I shared an entree. (Grilled Chicken Florentine). I know it wasn't exactly OP, but I don't think it was too bad. We ate a lot of salad. I did have a breadstick and 1 glass of Principato Rosato. (My favorite wine in the world!) These gf's are women I used to work with for almost 30 yrs.

This morning I went with 3 other gf's to a retired teacher's meeting then out to lunch. We went to a WW friendly spot and I had grilled tilapia, rice, cabbage, and black-eyed peas. I drank water. These gf's are women I grew up with in school.

Those of you who have known me for a long time Know that I hardly ever got to go out with gf's in MT. The gf's I had up there usually had different schedules than I did and we hardly ever connected. These 2 "events" this week are going to be "monthly events"! Am I in Heaven or what?

Ms. I agree. You have to go on a diet when YOU are ready. Lack of family support makes dieting difficult.

Erika, your bday celebration sounds like a lot of fun. I'll bet you cherish that portrait.

Paige, keep us posted. My fingers are crossed for you to get that job.

Ann, I love your enthusiasm.

Janelle, You're doing great. I definitely prefer AM WI, too. We may start going to WI in the AM then go back to the PM meeting. (We like that leader's style better.)

Erica, I know what you mean about the good feeling of being back in control. Ain't it great!!

Laura, I am soooo ready to learn more about WW's new plan. Wonder what they will call it? Hmmmmmmmmmm????? After "Turn Around"--wonder what will come next?

Linda, I like your challenge. Also, I want to thank you for posting your menus.

Kim, congratulations on sending those 2 lbs away. You go, girl!!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #41  

Good evening ladies!
I'm pretty tired and after this post, I'm about ready for bed.
Good planning, Tech. Don't beat yourself up about the wine, if you wanted it and had the flex points, why not just enjoy. : )
Congrats on the loss, Kim!
Kim, can't believe that two people who have had such serious health issues can eat so badly. Yikes! But, I do want to share with you something about my own in laws. They eat very "frugally" much like I eat all the time and when we come it's a big deal and an excuse for them to have all the goodies that they deny themselves when we are not visiting. So, we show up and I live in fear of what we'll be serve. Not one of the adults who are present (my SIL and BIL are really in trouble) should have ANY of the foods that are served and for that matter most of the kids shouldn't, either. So, we all get over-fed. It's delicious, but way too much.
Laura, firstly, congrats on making this work! I knew you could do it. Sometimes that old saying, "It's always darkest before the dawn" is so very true. You were dragging and you seemed ready to give up, but now look how charged up you are! So, will tonight at the FH be an oatmeal night? : )
I will not be surprised whatsoever if you will be using flex points for the snacky foods rather than extra points. I think you'll get a listing (CORE) of "free" foods and recommended numbers of servings per day of each and then the flex points will have to be for certain things like those 100 calorie packs, desserts that are non-core and things of that nature.
I so very much hope that fruit is a "free" food with no limitations. I'm doing so well in between meals having an apple or banana. I hope the core listing involves lite breads as that is something that is very hard on CORE. I know I can use my flex points on breads, and I do use them for that, but I would love to be able to have just ONE serving per day, maybe as part of that trade off where you can have rice or pasta once per day - maybe the bread once per day if it's whole grain??? We shall all see, and it's only a few short weeks away when they will give out the new program.
When I told my leader that I switched back to CORE, she glanced at me and looked almost relieved. I'm wondering if the old FLEX plan will be a thing of the past, at least the plan as we know it?
Briza, good job and that meal does sound like it was worth it.
I was wondering if I should switch to a morning weigh in, but I really like the 4:30 pm leader so much better than the morning one - she turns me off.
I don't think I'd be successful sitting through her meetings all the time.
Hey Erica!!!! So good to have you back again and that you can get back on your path to a healthy lifestyle. As your friend and someone who has seen you through this time period, you need to plan ahead for next year's busy season and how you will deal. Maybe write down a plan NOW that you can refer to next August? Just a thought.
Sandra, good that you got out and I hope you didn't do much damage!
Today was an "OK" day as far as program goes. I strayed a bit from my plan, but not too badly.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #42  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Yeah Laura, that is awesome you have a plan and are making it work.

Erica, welcome back. I missed you. Great job going back to ww. Did you get any snow yet

Sandra, that is so nice you are getting out with your GF's. Life is much better with Friends, oh yeah and chocolate too....ha ha

Jackie, I hope you get some rest and are not so exhausted. Thanks for the info about the book.

Well I should go to bed now.
Have a great night all.
Ann
Old 11-15-2007, 07:06 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Morning everyone!

ERICA!!!! Glad to see you back. Rested yet? Sandra - how fun a monthly get together will be.

Linda, no oatmeal last night as there wasn't anything going on so I had some of the cheesy veggie soup that was posted at last week's meeting. It made a huge pot and froze up very nicely.

Now we're heading into the holidays for everyone. Anyone doing mental rehearsing yet? Have been for about a week now. I am allowing myself a very small portion of those items I only get once a year and moving on. How about you?

Off to work. I'll see you guys later
Old 11-15-2007, 07:43 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Good Morning everyone,
Laura-yes, very well rested. We just took a much needed family getaway to NYC. Mental rehearsing, ahh yes I've been doing that as well. I'm going in with the mindset of "everything in moderation" and "it's a holi-DAY not a holi-WEEK".

Ann-we've been getting dustings of snow but not anything major. The weather forecast looks pretty blustery for the upcoming week though.

Linda- I know, plan, plan would be the key. For me it's all about priorities. We had our best season ever and we worked our butts off for it too. Here I am, back with you ladies (feels so good ) and once again, my priorities have shifted.

ontarget- back in control is the name of this game for me for sure!

My menu for today:
coffee with FF 1/2 and 1/2 : .5pt.
1 WW yogurt: 1pt.
1/4cp. fitness crunch: 2pts.
1 apple: 1pt.

1 1/4cp. mushroom soup: 3pts.
broccoli: 1pt.
1/2 cocavia bar: 1pt.

mochajava: 1pt.
popcorn: 2pts.

Baked chicken leg: 3pts.
1cp. sweet potato leek and parsnip casserole: 4pts.
4oz. galss wine: 4pts.
1/2 cocoa via bar: 1pt.
Total for the day:
24.5 points

Oh, and I have hired a babysitter for three mornings a week so I can go to the gym guilt free. It's really nice because our 3 yr. old loves going there so it is good for both of us. Like today, it is rainy and raw and I don't feel like going out at all, but the babysitter will be expecting us, so guess what? I'm going!! Hope everyone has a great morning!!

Hi Paige!!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #45  

Laura, no mental rehearsing here yet, but thanks for the reminder.
I've rehearsed for today, at least.
Today, my Thursday quilt group that meets at our local library is having their pre-holiday celebration. We are all going out to lunch. We are going to a "tea room" and I hope there are salads. I also hope for a clear liquid soup of some kind. I rehearsed, even said out loud, "I'd like a turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomato, but leave the bread and mayo off please. I figure that might work for a nice addition to some soup, if there is any. Hard to know what to do, though, when you've never been to a place and it's a small place so there is no chance of having a menu on line to go with. I'll have to try really hard.
Breakfast was oatmeal made with FF milk and 1/2 banana. I feel full, at least.
Dinner will be whole wheat pasta with my own homemade CORE meat sauce chock full of nice veggies that I made and froze a few weeks ago, salad will accompany it all. I think I should have an OK day.
Erica, I know about priorities. I was wondering if it would be a good thing to invest in a big freezer, if you don't have one already. Then, at the beginning of the summer before things start to go really crazy with your business if you might double up on recipes whenever you are cooking meals for the family and freeze well packaged and labeled things for the fall season when you are just plain crazy.
When I was near the end of my pregnancy with my daughter (years ago, but the philosophy still works well) I made and froze about two or three weeks of meals ahead. When I had my son, he had colic and my husband was traveling allot. It was a nightmare to try to cook meals with an infant that began to scream from about 4:00 pm until midnight for about three months solid. This taught me lots about planning. I marvel at mom's who seem so put together with infants, as I never had that kind of freedom. Some days, DH would come home from work and I'd never even had time to shower all that day. I'd, of course, be crying. So, when DD was born, I was SO very prepared. I had everything on hand and it went easier.
Erica, what a great idea to have that babysitter scheduled. So nice to take time for yourself!
Well, I've got to head out. Wish me luck with the tea room!
I hope to get on my treadmill this afternoon, at least!
Closed Thread