Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 07:58 AM   #1  

Question Getting started with exercise - any advice

I'm going to join WW (again!) this week, along with lot's of other people trying to keep to their New Year's Resolutions. I'm really concerned about getting started with exercise. I'm going to be 55 in January and with more than 100 extra pounds to carry around my knees are often unhappy to do more than walk slowly and with frequent stops (they prefer that every traffic light turn red when I arrive at the corner).

Any and all advice and/or success stories are welcome.

TIA,
Janice
Old 12-30-2001, 05:26 PM   #2  

Mom, who is about your age, and about as much overweight when she began, swore by aquajogging and water aerobics for her beginner work-outs. I'm younger but started off over 300 pounds when I began my journey years ago; walking, even just a block or two and back, was how I began. I parked as far out in the parking lot as I could when going somewhere (I reasoned that then I had no choice but to make it to the mall (or where ever) and back to the car -- what else could I do after all?).

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2001, 06:34 PM   #3  

Angry

Thanks for your quick reply. I go just about everywhere, including work, by public transportation. That involves walking and stair climbing. So I can already walk distances. The problem is I walk so slowly that I don't feel like I'm exercising (except the stairs!). Did you find that walking slowly was enough exercise in the beginning?

TIA, Janice
Old 12-30-2001, 10:33 PM   #4  

Janice - I wouldn't worry about your speed. Try to walk without interruption for 10 minutes to start and gradually increase your uninterrupted walking time. I think I remember reading that after 20 minutes of continuous activity your metabolism speeds up. Eventually, maybe you could walk part of the way before you get on the bus. I use to fool myself by telling myself that I would walk until the bus caught up with me. Sometimes I was almost home before the bus came. Get a pedometer and record your progress.

Also, you could purchase some handheld weights and do some exercises at home. Weights are available at any sporting goods store and come in weights as low as 1 lb. To began, maybe you'd want to buy a pair of 1 lb weights and a pair of 3 lbs weights to use as you progress. If you have a VCR, you can purchase any number of exercise videotapes which would instruct you on the proper form when using handheld weights. Weight Watchers used to have one several years ago.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-2001, 07:41 AM   #5  

I have always been a slow walker -- even now that I've built up considerable endurance and better muscle mass etc I'm still slow! I'm faster than I was -- but my husband's stride will always be longer than mine 'though we are the same height. Any movement beats no movement.

I soon added walking exercise videos into my line up (Leslie Sansone was my favourite and her tapes are available on Amazon.com). I began with a basic 15 minute tape -- which totally killed me. I drank tons of water, walked in place a lot (because the moves were still confusing when I began) and so on. BUT perserverence meant I won! I can do a 60 minute difficult tape from beginning to end now -- though these days I prefer to work out at the gym usually.

Anyway -- best to you.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:39 PM   #6  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Howdy all,

First of all -kudos to you for getting it in gear!! Sitting on the couch thinking about what can be done is way easier than actually tackling it.

I started with about the same weight to lose and some knee complaints. Try adding this supplement to your daily routine -glucosamine/chondroitin. It aids the lubrication of the joints and the manufacture of cartilage -both very important things. It also helps relieve some arthritic symptoms.

When I first started, I literally couldn't run to save my life. Today I race my 10 year old to the door. (she wins, but that's ok ) Taking off over 50# and taking the supplements really made a huge difference.

All the best!
Closed Thread