Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #121  

Gooooooood Monday morning everyone!!!

Welcome otobeskinny and goingtodothis! Would you mind sharing names/nicknames? I hope you both stick around her and continue to post...this group is the best!

Otobe-I think starting your dd on WW is a great thing for you to do. Yeah, it stinks that she has to think about her weight at a young age, but that is our society for you. Think of it this way...by going to WW, she is now going to learn great things about health and nutrition. She is going to learn the proper way to incorporate all foods into her diet; she won't have to make any foods off limit, so she won't feel deprived and different from her peers. I really think you deserve a pat on the back for having her do WW, and as such an added bonus...I bet she will give you such motivation as well.

Goingtodothis-WOW, you are SO hard on yourself!!! First of all, your weight is just a number...I post mine proudly, and it's way above 150! Your weight does not define you, so you should not let it (..."I feel like a cow and look like one too.") If you feel like a beautiful, confident woman, than that is what you are and that is what others will believe, too. It is all mental!
We all have to start somewhere, so this is going to be your starting block. We are all here for your, so post as much as you want, as often as you want. Ramble a little or a lot...there is always someone here to read it!

Linda-I have no idea what size my wedding dress is! Maybe a 10, but it was altered. I bought it at probably my lowest weight, and then I switched jobs from a busy retail management position to a sales rep position where I was in the car 4+hrs a day...you can imagine what happened. I was eating the same amount of food, but my exercise level changed drastically, and I packed on probably 30-35lbs. I bet WHEN I get down to the 180's I'll be able to fit into it. It's a gorgeous dress. You better believe I'm going to wear it again...I might even clean the house in it!!! LMAO! My dd's would get a kick out of that!
I've been meaning to mention those Hebrew National Lite hot dogs, as well. They are fantastic! I have them at least a few times a week for lunch. I'll have to look for those rolls this week. Normally I just use a slice of ww lite bread for each hot dog. I find that they are less expensive, too, than the other brands of ff/lite ones. Our Wal-mart usually has them 2/$5. Could be our area, this time of the year.

Paige2-I hope the chicken turned out ok...I always get a little nervous after I give out recipes that people won't think it's good! LOL!
I looked at your digital scrapbooking...do you have sites that you go to that are free, or you have to pay? I love to scrapbook, but it's so stinkin expensive, and I always feel "cluttered" when I sit down and everything is all spread out. Plus my dds always steal my stickers!!!

Emma-Are you journalling everything still? If so, I would take those in and talk to your leader about your gains...maybe she would have some insight. I would FLIP OUT if I had 4lb gains two weeks in a row, especially if I had thought I did well.

I will check back in later! Hope everyone has a marvelous Monday!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Paige-yes! it was Darien Lake we went too. It's about An hour and a half from our house. It was fun, but time to get back on track today. I was good while there, but our dinner on the thruway wasn't. I was just really hungry, and felt like having a "real meal". Then that just set me up for an "off weekend". Well, back to basics here on Monday!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #123  

Sorry about Gabby's fall, Emma. Obviously dad is not used to dealing with 9 month old kids and I'm sure he felt badly afterwards. Kids are amazingly resilient, thankfully. I used to laugh a bit when my kids had the usual falls and upsets when they were kids, they seemed to be made of elastic! I hope she is OK. Seems to me like dad is not big on any kind of responsibility, including a relationship. You are the strong one!
I'm proud you are sticking with all of this through times that are this difficult. If you can stick with this now, you can do anything!
Kim, my daughter is now 16 and not yet at goal. She started with WW about four years ago, but we both lost control and drifted away from it during a bad time for our family, my dad was diagnosed with bone cancer and he died about 5 months afterwards. Then, four months after that, my mom suddenly passed away, very unexpectedly. It was not a time for either of us to be worrying about weight watchers, so we gained it all back. I am here to say that I should have taken control, stayed on track and continued to go to meetings, but it was discouraging to go week after week and have gains. I was embarrassed and I wasn't dealing with it. I didn't go, my daughter couldn't drive herself there and if I was eating unhealthy foods, so was she.
So, we both went back last June, 5 months after mom passed away, with a fresh attitude. She's done tremendously well. She was at about 170 and at 5'2" tall, carrying a great deal of weight for a kid her age. Now she is 23 pounds lighter and still working at it. I am holding my own and it is much harder for me, at age 52, to lose weight. I'm on arthritis meds that can make you gain a bit and my metabolism is slower, so it's a long, hard journey.
My advice to you is to not keep the TV models and rail thin actresses in mind with your daughter. You mentioned she is 11 and weights 126. You didn't mention how tall she is. 126 doesn't sound all that bad, but if she is only 4' tall, then maybe it is? My best advice is to not obsess, and be careful to follow your doctor's advice. You can't obsess about your daughter's weight as if you do, she could become bulimic or anorexic or something like that. You must approach this with great care. I would encourage activity, but not MAKE her do things. I would provide WW friendly meals and healthy snacks and not get ticked off if you see her with the "wrong" foods. With my own daughter, I had to wait until she asked me to help her lose weight and then assisted her. I didn't want to play enforcer with her as our relationship was more important, though her teens years, than what her weight was.
There are all sizes of people, big and small, fat and skinny, I have learned to accept them all no matter what into my life. A 300 pound person is valuable and worthwhile, just as much as a 110 pound person who looks like they just walked off the runway.
You want her to feel confidence and self assurance, please don't try to be the "food police", she's very young. My daughter started at WW when she was probably about 12, so I have been there. Be her best friend and best supporter and you will do fine. If she doesn't feel she is overweight and you do, wait until a time when she says she wants to do this for herself.
Hope I addressed this properly?
As for me, I have made a plan for eating today.

Breakfast:
oatmeal, made with calorie countdown milk = 2 points
banana = 2

Lunch:
Lite bread
Boca Burger = 2
FF cheese- 1
beets = 0
salad, oil and vin. - 2 (for oil)

Dinner:
Turkey breast = 4
brown rice= 3
asparagus= 0

That's 16 points, I'll have 4 left for snacks. Snacks will have to be a milk serving and some popcorn!

So, I have this plan and will stick with it!

Last edited by derrydaughter; 07-23-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #124  

Emma-How is Gaby doing today? I had a somewhat similar experience with my little dd. She was probably around 6 months; I had put her down for a nap in her crib, and had closed the door because my other dd was playing in her bedroom (next door) and I was going to go blow dry my hair. A few minutes later my older dd came running into the bathroom saying that little dd had fallen out of her crib. It was clear that she had hit her head when she fell out, and she seemed like she was sleepy (a sign of concussion) so I raced to Urgent Care (like the emergency room, but it's through our local health care center, and it's supposed to be faster.) I told the girl at the front desk what happened, and she said, "She FELL out of her crib? HOW did that happen??" And gave me a look like I was the WORST mother!!! And then it took 3 hours before the doctor saw us!!!! Thank goodness there didn't end up being anything wrong.

Why in the world did he leave her on the couch? She isn't able to crawl up there yet, is she?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #125  

I turned my back on my son on the changing table when he was about 6 months old, once, and he fell. We all are human, make mistakes and learn from them. Luckily, my son wasn't hurt.
By the way, Paige, I want photos of you cleaning the house in your wedding dress sometime, that would be a hoot!
As for me, I have my skinny blue jeans that are not elastic waist that I'd dearly love to fit into. They are not in style, as the legs are really tight on them and they may look stupid, but I shall wear them with pride. I think I can kind of get them on, now, but couldn't wear them for more than 5 minutes and certainly couldn't sit in them. One day, I shall wear them again!
That will be a photo I will share with you all as well!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #126  

Linda-I will DEFINATELY share a picture of that!!!!! LOL!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #127  
Donna

Happy Monday Chickies,

Well yesterday went pretty well, although I was super tired. Some how a bottle of wine and 5 hrs sleep do not a productive day make. I'm over it though, slept like a log last night. DH is out of town again this week, so I'll be cooking for one. I'll have to figure stuff out as I go. Just got home from taking the dogs and meeting my parents at the park. I walk with my mom so it's a slow walk but we walked for over a half hour and covered a little over a mile and a half. I was going to walk again but my foot is bugging me now so I may not. Don't want to overdo it. Maybe I'll drag my bike out. But then I need to go up and sew, so maybe I'll just take a break.....Anyway I'm babbling maybe I didn't get as much sleep as I thought.

NSV - yesterday I had to wear a different pair of pants because I hadn't washed my uniforms, and I was so excited, I could still breath comfortably in them!!!! That wasn't true last time I wore them about a year ago. I'm happy.

Erica - hate when one meal sets us off for a whole weekend. But sometimes that happens. Good luck getting back on track.

Paige - I just had an image of cleaning house in my wedding dress (I'm actually smaller now than then), not a good picture. But I bet your girls would get a kick out of it.

Emma - Hope gabby is ok. Good luck at ww.

Linda - That paddle boat ride sounds like heaven. You're making me wish it was our vacation time. (we're going to upstate NY, NH and Boston in Oct.)

Ann - I'm amazed at the # of steps you get in a day. Did you have the ice cream? Sometimes you just have give in so you don't binge later.

Kim & goingtodothis - Welcome, just jump right in you'll catch up eventually and if you don't understand something just ask. By the way I'm 40 also, I was hoping to be in onderland by then but no.......

Haylo & Erika - hope you're enjoying your vacations.

Paige2 - how was the aquarium??

Well I should go make myself some lunch. Have a great day everyone.

-Tech
Old 07-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #128  

Tech, maybe when you are in NH and MA in October, we can find a way to meet for a lunch or something? That would be so cool. Depends on the day/time you will be around here, of course.
I tried on my skinny jeans before I took my shower today and they fit. Last time I tried them on, I could get them over my hips, but not zip them all the way. This time, I could zip them. However, there was no way they would be comfortable on me and the (sad to admit, but I can tell you all the truth, and maybe no one else) my belly fat hung over the waistband - eeewww. In another month or so, I will try them on again. I have faith that I shall wear them. One day, I will wear them to a WW meeting and announce that they are my skinny jeans. I may even weigh in higher that day due to wearing them as they are quite heavy... maybe I'll wear my official weigh in outfit (really looking ragged and awful lately) and then go in the ladies room and change into those jeans. Pants are baggier and more straight vs. tapered at the ankle as these are, but the fact that I can wear them comfortably is so very important.
Paige, I'm still smiling about you cleaning the house in your wedding dress. More appropriately would be to wear it on your wedding anniversary to surprise DH and have your DDs in on the surprise. You could have them serve you a "romantic" dinner with wine and candles. The girls would giggle and think it was so much fun to see you all dressed up. Maybe you could even make whatever it was that was served for your wedding meal? Wouldn't that be a fun thing?
I'm wondering if my size 5 wedding dress would burst at the seams if I even tried to fit my size 10 body in it? I was 28 years old and I'm now 52 and have had two pregnancies, two c-sections and have gone through menopause. I cannot imagine myself being that small again. I'd be delighted to be a size 8 again, maybe, but I'm actually content with a 10 as long as it fits loosely.
With all the weight I've lost, my clothing size has not changed.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #129  
HERE I GO AGAIN!

S/C/G: 182/182/130

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!!
MpaigeW, are you Paige 1 or Paige 2? I will get you all straightened out, just give me time. Anyway, my name is Kim, I will be 40 years old on the 23rd of August, and I really need to lose about 52 pounds. I am only 5'3" tall and I just started back to school in January. I have been doing pre-requisits, and will begin the Respiratory Therapy program Aug 20th!

Wanna know what really made me decide to do this? I have to go up ONE Friggin' flight of stairs to get to my classes, YES....JUST ONE!.......by the time I get up those stairs, I am having trouble breathing, and my legs and back are killing me. I can tell it is worse since I have gained my last 5 pounds. I am too young for this!!!! I hate feeling this way!

Linda, Thanks for your advice on my daughter. I haven't said anything to her about her weight, I wanted her to come to me or give me a sign that she wanted to do something about it. We have run into one of her best school friends (which use to be a little chubby) at the store. She lost so much weight and my daughter couldn't believe how good she looked. Then we went to a family reunion last weekend (my hubby's side of the family) at the lake. All his family are STICK people! They talk about how they gain a pound or 2, blah, blah, blah.......anyway, my daughter and I were the outcast...AGAIN! One of the aunts (that can't weigh more than 105 pounds) said she had lost 15 pounds...my daughter tuned in sadly and said " I wish I could lose 15 pounds!"...So really, I made it her choice. I really was afraid (and still am) that she could end up with a eating disorder, So I am really not talking to her about it very much except to say we are going to Weight Watchers to learn how to eat right and get healthy. I would much rather have her a little chubby! The doctor has mentioned before that he wanted her to lose weight, but I didn't push it. With her height, she should weigh about 90 pounds.

I didn't get the doctor note for my daughter today, so please keep your finger crossed we get it tomorrow so we can start tomorrows meeting. She will be in the middle school this year and she and I both would love to get started ASAP.

Kim

Last edited by o2bskinny; 07-23-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #130  

Kim-I am "Paige1." I am 27, from NY. I am a sahm to two dds, 5 and 2. My oldest starts kindergarten this fall!!! I am also finishing up my pastry arts degree. I love to bake; it's the one thing I can say without hesitation that I'm really good at! I do cakes and such for people and I also have a Christmas cookie business. I really think you are doing such a wonderful thing for your dd. I have struggled with bulimia since I was a teenager (I still have problems with it now and then...it's something that will always be implanted in my brain.) I wish that WW had been an option for me when I was younger. I was always an overweight child, and always wanted to lose weight but just didn't really know how to go about it. When I was in my teens, I lost 100lbs, all from not eating at all or I would purge whatever I did eat. It is incredibly sad the pressure that teens and children are under today to maintain society's image of "perfection."

Anyway...I must be going. I have an appt at the chiropractors. Unfortunately my back problems are back in full force, and worse. I now have pain and numbness that shoot all the way down to my heel in my left leg. I am really fearing that surgery might be in my future. Let's hope not... I don't have time for that!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #131  

Kim, it sounds like you are doing the right thing, then. If you need any help along the way, I'm your gal. Packing school lunches for a person on WW is tricky, I have plenty of ideas if you need them. Jamie (my daughter) found the flex plan vs. the core plan worked better for her, at least while in school.
By the way, Kim, our family doctor insisted the Jamie be seen by them every three months while she was on WW and that young. They set goals for her to achieve that were very different from what WW had to say. They were greatly concerned that she get to obsessive about it. She's doing very well now, but has been on a plateau for awhile. I think this happens to anyone, old or young after an initial period of loss. It's the hardest time to stick with the program, I feel, as you feel like you are fighting an u-hill battle.
Well, today was a good day on program. I'm also glad to say that I finally broke down and called the doctor's office about my long term laryngitis. I now have an antibiotic and hopefully this will do the trick. If not, I go to an ENT. Let's hope it doesn't get to that level.
Do antibiotics make you gain weight? I'm wondering. I have no choice but to take it, of course, but I wonder if this will falsely impact the scale?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #132  

Oh yes, Paige, I hope your back feels better. Have you thought of acupuncture? Just curious. I know a few people who have tried that quite successfully. I wonder if your insurance would pay for it and if you would be the type to consider it?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #133  

Just got back from the chiropractor a bit ago. He's confident that I have a pinched nerve, and he is having me do some exercises to try to manipulate my discs and get them to move. He also gave me strict instructions...NO SLOUCHING!!! LOL! So it looks like I'm back to my 3x's a week visits for a bit. UGH! Oh well...better that than surgery.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:01 AM   #134  

Good morning! What, no other postings here? Are we all taking time of for a lazy summer????
Paige, I read the no slouching thing and it was funny how I immediately squared my shoulders, I hadn't noticed how much I slouch when I am sitting here at the computer. I'll try to be more aware of that as I just feel better with my shoulders squared and chin high. Wonder why we all do those things to ourselves.
Well, today is weigh in day and I'm feeling good about it. I think I'll come in with a loss, however, my weight fluctuates so much that it's often 3 pounds or more different during the course of the day. So, who knows? I hope that last week's gain fiasco will be negated. We shall see.
I am going grocery shopping today and I look forward to that as I want to gather up things to take on vacation and just bring them along vs. having to shop while I am up there. After all, it is my vacation and I don't want to spend it in grocery stores!
I hope the rest of you have been planning your days!
I shall do that here and now... I have a new theory about oatmeal on weigh in days and I'm going to steer clear of that today. Oatmeal is my favorite breakfast, no matter what. I never tire of it and it's so good for you! But, one of the reasons why I love it could sabotage weigh ins? It "stays with you" and slows up the digestive system due to all the fiber in it. So, if you eat something with lots of bulk on weigh in day, does that mess up the weigh in as it kind of stalls things from "moving through"? Just wondering out loud.... I figure that I'll try to stay away from oatmeal on weigh in days for awhile and see if that helps.
So, breakfast today will be a poached egg served on toasted light English muffin with a slice of Canadian bacon and one slice of FF American cheese, kind of my own homemade egg McMuffin. 5 points

Lunch will be sliced turkey, cantaloupe, salad with O+V, and a 2 point roll, 8 points, total 13 so far

Dinner will be pork sirloin on the grille, cut up potato cooked in foil with olive oil on the grille, and a fresh vegetable, I'll have 0 point butter spray on the potato and veggies, 6 points, total 19

That leaves one point for a snack (probably popcorn)
My flex points will be a milk and a fruit, I think, as I'll need those to complete my day.
Also, if I say I'll do this here, maybe I will? I bought all the stuff to make the WW garden vegetable soup LAST week and never did, if time permits early this afternoon, I'll make it!
Paige, there is the best food delivery idea ever.... make huge vats of that soup, freeze and sell it to people you know who are on WW and haven't go the time to make it! You'd probably get rich!
Have a great day, everyone!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #135  

Goood morning everyone!

Nothing exciting happening here today. We're going grocery shopping tonight, too, so I am going to look through my fav cookbook in a minute and get a dinner list together.

I'm also going to keep my hands busy today with some painting. Has anyone here ever tried One Stroke painting? I've been trying to get the hang of it, but just can't quite get it. I ran to the craft store last night after my dr appt and got an instructional video, so hopefully that will help me. I'm frustrated because I usually pick things up very quickly, but this hasn't come so easily. I really want to learn how to do it so I can "paint" on my cakes using gel food color.

That's all for now. I hope everyone is having a great morning!!! Chat more later!
Closed Thread