Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 03:10 PM   #1  
Woman on a Mission

Default Joining WW for 1st Time

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to post this. I've been reading through a bunch of threads on the WW and this seems like the place to come for advice.

I'm 28 years old and weigh 202 lbs. I'm going to my first Weight Watchers meeting on Saturday and I'm scared. Part of it is that I don't know what to expect and the other part is that this is admitting that my weight is out of control and that I need help. It's a big step for me.

I was hoping that someone could tell me what to expect for my first meeting. I would like to try the Winning Points program as I've heard some very good things about it. Also some insight into how others are finding the program (if it's easy to follow, do they like the freedoms/restrictions, is it "family" friendly, those sorts of things.)

Thank you in advance for your help/advice.

Pam
202/160 lbs.(goal)
Old 10-30-2001, 03:24 PM   #2  
Proud Canadian

First off let me say, I LOVE weight watchers. I was incredibly enthousiastic when I joined and after 6 months I'm still just as excited about the program. That said, I did not like the first leader I had. She actually managed to dampen my enthousiasm. So I found another meeting and have been really enjoying it. Everyone at the meetings has faced the same problems and follows the same programs. You'll get tips and recipies and encouragement.
You've taken the first step and believe me, that is the hardest thing. The program works and the meetings are great support. This website and these message boards are also a great source of inspiration.

So Good Luck and remember, it's not a diet, it's a way of life.

KT
Old 10-30-2001, 04:12 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations on taking the first step! It's always scary (in my book) when you begin something new but you'll be so happy you walked through the doors.

When you go the first time they'll have you fill out some paperwork and explain to you the program. Plan on staying after the meeting for the "Get Acquainted Session" where the leader will go over the first booklet with you. It's very informative.

What I like about the program is that it is very do-able, I can eat what I want as long as it fits into my daily points. I've worked in my favorite foods because I know I need to continue to have them. It's a lifestyle change and everyone has been in the same boat as you're in. I enjoy the meetings and find lots of motivation and inspiration. You can also get a lot of support, ideas, inspiration, motivation here. Good luck as you being the weightloss journey!
Old 10-30-2001, 09:55 PM   #4  

Pam... first thing I have to say is that you're taking a big step in the right direction. I joined WW at the end of April 2001 and have lost just over 40 lbs to date. I have about 60 more to go - I'm 27 years old.

I honestly didn't know what to expect when I joined, but when I went to the first meeting, everything just clicked - the staff were friendly, the group leader was fun and interesting (a *must*!), and the group itself seemed really good. I wasn't sure if I would be able to follow the program - who, me, fill out a food journal every single solitary day??? LOL! I was the last person who thought I would - but I am. I was ready to do what I was there for and I dived right in and haven't looked back.

My best advice to you is take full advantage of *all* the resources they have available. Buy the food guides, check out the cookbooks, definitely get the magazine when it comes out, and use, use, use your leader - he/she's been through it all and is your absolute best resource.

One final piece of advice is that if you get to your meeting and find that you don't really enjoy it, don't give up. Unfortunately, not all leaders are as great as I think mine is - if you're not inspiried and energized by the one at the meeting you go to, try out a different location, different time, etc... Shop around until you find a leader and a group that fits you perfectly. I am a firm believer that if you don't 'click' with your leader (especially) and the group of people you are there with (to a lessor degree) then that can make a huge difference in how you approach the program.

Good luck!

Christine
Old 10-30-2001, 10:56 PM   #5  
Woman on a Mission

Default Thanks

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. It sounds like a very positive experience and I'm sure I'll make out fine. I have to stop being such a chicken about doing new things.

I will be sure to take the advice about the orientation meeting for "newbies" and to take full advantage of the resources.

Thanks again ladies. I'll let you know how the meeting goes on Saturday.

Pam
Old 10-31-2001, 05:07 PM   #6  

Pam,
I know how you feel. I was almost sick to my stomach when I walked through the doors the first night. I was afraid what the scale would say and honestly admitting that my eating/weight was out of control was a tough pill to swallow. Within the first 5 minutes of the meeting I was sold on the program and I new I had made a giant step in the right direction. Hearing the successes of other members 10lbs, 10%, hitting goal. Their excitement about the program was so motivating I could hardly wait to start the program. It is an amazing learning/re-learning experience and a lifestyle change I believe I can maintain for the rest of my life. I wish you all the success and good luck on Saturday!
Old 11-01-2001, 10:01 AM   #7  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Sammy01,
I believe you have made a monumental decision in your life. Losing weight at your young age is so smart. Good luck and enjoy WW and the challenges and the support you'll find there and here at 3fatchicks.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:22 PM   #8  

Default My 1st time too

Hi, I am 36 and went to my first Weight Watchers meeting last night. I was really nervous...not knowing what to expect. Everyone was really nice and helpful. No one time did I feel that someone was looking at me and thinking how fat I was...not did I feel that they wondered why I was even there. ( I have about 30 pounds I want to lose.) I filled out a registration card and then got in line to pay my fee of $35. Then I proceded to the weigh in room. I didn't have to look at the scale while they weighed me. I looked after they wrote it down. After they weighed me they gave me a start up kit with a paper Diary to keep up with what I eat and my points, and another book that has points listed. They'll go over all this with you, but at least I had something to do while waiting on the others to weigh. I was really surprised by the number of people there to weigh I stayed for the meeting which was about 15 minutes and then they had another meeting that was about 15 more minutes to walk through the program alittle. When I left I felt pretty good that maybe I can really stick to this "life style change." Here's to wishing us both good luck.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:48 PM   #9  
Woman on a Mission

Hi Lisa,

Yes, let's be here to support each other. Thanks for letting me know how your first night went. I'm afraid that I always get nervous when it comes to new things especially when it's something that focuses on my weight as I'm very self conscious about it.

I Try Harder and Canadian girl thanks for your words of encouragement. It is truly appreciated.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Pam
Old 11-03-2001, 06:21 PM   #10  

KT-

I just wanted to let you know that your reply is what is getting me back on track. I saw your stats at the bottom of your reply and was impressed. I'm at 245lbs right now so it was so good to see that getting this weight off can be done.

I've started and stopped the ww program so many times(both on my own and with meetings) that sometimes I feel like such a failure. I'm going to give it another try and hope to see some results.

Thanks again

Molly
Old 11-03-2001, 07:19 PM   #11  
Woman on a Mission

Hi, just a quick note to let you know that I went and it wasn't scary and nothing "bad" happened to me. I had a good time in fact and it was so inspirational to see what others had accomplished. They had a fashion show this morning and some of the people brought in clothes that they used to wear and pictures of what they used to look like. I also found out one of the ladies is about 4 lbs away from losing 100 lbs so they were getting a key ring ready for her with words of encouragement from the others members. All in all a very positive experience.

Thank you again for you kind words.

Pam
Closed Thread