3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Weight Watchers

Counting down from 250 and beyond - Oct 11 and hanging in there

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 01:57 AM   #16
Slimwithin

Default Applesauce Cake

Subject: 4 point Applesauce Cake

1/2 cup Egg Substitute
1-1/2 cups unsweetened Applesauce
1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup Splenda & 1/2 cup sugar which probably
knocked the points down a bit)
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsps ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg (I ran out of nutmeg so used 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/4
tsp ground ginger and 1/4 tsp ground cloves & it made a nicely spiced
cake)
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Frosting
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F
In mixing bowl, beat egg substitute for one minute on medium speed.
Add the applesauce, sugar and oil; mix well. Combine the dry
ingredients; add to applesauce mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins and walnuts.
Pour into a 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan coated with nonstick cooking
spray. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
In a mixing bowl beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in icing sugar and vanilla. Frost the cake. Makes 20 servings = 4pt each.

This cake would probably rise higher if you use all sugar but because I'm diabetic, I substituted 1/2 Splenda.

By the way, I buy Light & Tasty Magazine at the supermarket magazine racks. Same general area as Cooking Light and the other Taste of Home magazines.

You'll never guess what I did today. Not only did I make myself go to the swimming pool at 7:30, even though my usual pals who go with me couldn't make it (now that's dedication), but I also phoned a neighbor this afternoon and asked her to go for a walk with me. We walked briskly for about half an hour. I have to admit my hips were aching but it felt good to be an "active person". I can't believe I did TWO exercise thingies in one day. Usually the most exercise I get is trying to hoist myself out of my recliner chair.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:19 AM   #17

Good morning everybody
What a busy day yesterday turned out to be. I dashed from meeting to meeting being slightly too late for all of them - and then got a puncture in my car my NEW car at that I had to call out an emergency rescue van, who took an hour and a half to arrive and of course it was pouring with rain. But when he arrived he was very nice and put the spare on (I always carry a spare tyre or six ) so it was all ok in the end. The most embarassing thing was that I have been doing some decorating at home and had a load of old rubbish I had loaded in to the car to take to the tip. But then the queue for the tip was really long and I did not wait, meaning that all the rubbish was still in the boot of the car - and beginning to smell. I dont know what the mechanic thought of that

Today I am having a new mantlepiece and fireplace fitted. I have a man called Dennis drinking loads of coffee and banging loudly with a large hammer - I dont want to watch so I have come up to my study for some peace, although the hammer blows are vibrating. I am making soup which he has pronounced to smell delicious and then went on to tell me of all the women who feed him lunch.....I think he might be hinting. I dont mind. At least it wont make him fat

Weigh in is tonight. I did not go last week so I am curious to see how it is. How did I do on my holiday, that will be the question.

By the way, I did about 3500 steps yesterday which the bonus buddy thing said was 'healthy'. We are all doing so well with our exercise! It really is a question of just doing a little bit more. Just a bit. I am going to walk down to the vet later and get some cat stuff - I might otherwise have taken the car, but its a nice day and it is only a five or ten minute walk. Its not a lot of itself, but its a start. Maybe by next year I will be going to the gym and going on really long walks (or horserides! that impressed me! ) but for now its the little things. I really have to get my bike fixed as well. Maybe I will do that later today too.......
love to all!
lilac
Old 10-16-2001, 07:49 AM   #18

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Lovely fall Tuesday!

Good morning ladies!

Look at us go girls! Walking and swimming and great attitudes!

I had a good OP day yesterday. DH fixed our fav broccoli, chicken and pasta recipe last night. I've been buying whole wheat pasta so its lower in points. Actually DH doesn't notice the difference.

The rains had cleared off leaving a very crisp fall evening so the dog got taken on a long walk and both of us slept good last night. I love walking those fall evenings. It helped work out the soreness so I'm ready for tae bo or the airdyne tonight.

Linda - Thanks for the tip on the magazine. I've been a subscriber to Cooking Light for several years. I love reading the magazine but don't try that many recipes because of calorie content or the ingredients I don't have. I picked up the Taste of Home L&T mag at Wal-mart last night.

Lilac - Ouchy on the tire and what a hoot about the rubbish. I'm sending my pedometer back after two days of wearing it like it says and it counting 8 steps. It is great for motivation. I'm not sure what is magic about 10,000 steps a day other than someone has decided that you're moving around enough to lose weight with that many steps. I think it does show how sedentary we are without realizing it. I would have said before that I walk around a lot at work but this pointed out how I need to get up and walk around more during the day. Thank you for your perspective on WW meetings. It really helped give me something to think about and deal with my frustration. A new way to look at things!!

Sherry - It seems like it takes me at least 15-30 minutes to post. Sometimes I get writer's block.

I better get moving. The dog needs his morning wrestle and I need to get dressed. Have great aOP day ladies!!

My journey to fitness Working on my bucket list...
Old 10-16-2001, 09:37 AM   #19

Good morning, lovely ladies!

We've been very busy here - - with 11th birthday parties, getting a small business loan (yikes!), getting over colds and flus, and joining (gasp) a rec center.

Yesterday my girls and I spent just over an hour at our local rec center. My youngest swam laps (which I'll be doing today) while my teen and I walked the treadmill for 35 minutes and followed it up with some time using the nautilus machines. I'm pleasantly achy this morning. Today we'll all be doing laps -- thirty minutes or so. We've determined that this will be our new weekday routine: library, post office, Subway for lunch, bank, rec center, home. My teen finally hopped on the scale, looked at my WW materials regarding "goal" weight/height ranges, and decided that yes, she wanted to lose 15 pounds or so. She'd already been "shaping up" as it were simply because of the healthier eating happening in our home. I'm proud of her -- I wish I'd done the same at her age, ya know?

Hey -- here's a site I found (dunno if its non-US friendly, sorry gals!) Go here: http://www.valpak.com and sign up for their email notices (coupons specific to where you live) and you can get a free magazine! Two weight loss specific choices were: Shape and Weight Watchers.

I've lost track of who said what -- I didn't post for longer than I'd thought. I'll try to keep up better this week.

Oh -- and here's a recipe for a steak that was DIVINE! I couldn't find the snap peas fresh locally, so we served it on a bed of mixed greens instead.

Steak with three peppercorn sauce

Ingredients

6 tsp mixed cracked pepper, or 2 tbsp (pink, green and black)
1 lb(s) lean tenderloin beef, filet mignon, four 4-oz pieces, cut 1 1/4-inch thick
1/2 tsp table salt
2 tsp olive oil
1 oz cognac, about 2 tbsp
1/3 cup(s) beef broth
1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
4 cup(s) sugar snap peas, steamed

Instructions

Press cracked pepper onto meat. Sprinkle with salt.

In nonstick skillet on high heat, heat oil. Cook meat until brown, about 2 minutes each side. Reduce heat to medium and cook to desired doneness, about 6 minutes for rare, turning occasionally. Remove from skillet and keep warm.

Remove skillet from heat, add cognac. Scrape browned bits of meat off pan into cognac. Bring to a boil. Add broth, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Boil until sauce begins to thicken.

Remove skillet from heat and, swirling pan, melt butter.

Add parsley and any meat juices to sauce and pour over steak. Serve with peas. Yields 1 filet and 1 cup sugar-snap peas per serving.

Serves 4
POINTS per serving 6

Ta ta for now!!
...sometimes less is more...
Old 10-16-2001, 06:35 PM   #20

Well, SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder as I recall) has made its way back into my home again this year. The days are shorter and shorter -- and with it seems to go my good moods. This year we are absolutely going to have to buy one o' them lights that help with this problem. I can't take another five month long depression just 'cause I'm not getting enough sunlight. LOL! Its so strange to me because when we were in Florida this never happened, never occurred to me -- and then when we moved last year here, and winter came, and I was down for months, it finally hit me *why*.

Didn't end up swimming today -- did the treadmill again. Then home for housework (something I was actually looking forward to!) and dinner. Now I'm working -- listing items for sale on Amazon.com, preparing listings for tomorrow on eBay, paring down the website as we prepare to move our business focus to my husband's collectible video gaming market. Up early tomorrow for shopping in South Carolina.

Miss you all!

J.
Old 10-16-2001, 11:35 PM   #21

Good Evening Everyone!

Had a good weigh in tonight. Lost 4lbs. That is for 2 weeks though. Was babysitting last week. And they frown on bringing children.

I am going crazy...not being able to just get the recipe printed without the whole thread. Two great recipes lately & no success#$?!

Thanks for the tip on where to find the magazine.

Can not stay longer because it is very late. But, just had to pop in and share my loss.

ttfn
Sherry

272/262.5/under200

Last edited by ssdiane : 10-16-2001 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2001, 04:48 AM   #22

Hi there everyone
I lost 1.5 pounds. That is two weeks, but given I lost 7.5 two weeks ago, I will take the 1.5 no problem It also covers the week I was away so that is good going I think. I have 5lbs to go to my 10% so that is my next mini goal.

I am getting really in to roasting vegatables - courgettes, aubergine, red onions and red peppers mostly. I use oil spray so its zero points! and if you cut them up in to big chunky bits its very satisfying. I served this with a filet steak last night for a huge 4.5 point meal. Although I added two points of mayonnaise

My new fire place and mantle piece looks lovely, but now the rest of the room looks grubby old and cheap..... and of course we have run out of money. We had a big pot of money when we moved here for doing the house up (as we sold two and bought one), but we have about two thousand of that left, and that is going to be a new carpet I think (the one here is this strange dirty dingey shade of turquoise.....

But.......I have been offered a new job!!!! It is to be the director of my local bereavement counselling service. It is only two days a week, but that means i would have some time to develop my work as a free lance trainer, and in a few years as a psychotherapist. The new job sounds exactly up my street. They want someone with vision and excitement, who will get out there and promote the service, especially to groups like family doctors (apparently about half the local doctors refer cases regularly and half not at all - they need to find out what the discrepancy is). Also the volunteers are a bit inactive and demotivated and they want someone to work with that issue. Now those of you who have been around here a bit may hear some bells ringing here in connection with my current job! This is one of the issues I have been battling with. So at least I know the shape of the problem.

I am in two minds about whether to take the new job. To be honest, my current job has just started to get better. I had been really tired of it (felt as if I was pulling the whole organisation along) but I made some changes (including suggesting to the chairman that he resign as he was not contributing anything - bold but true - and we now have a new chairman who is young (28), enthusiastic, energetic and generally good news). Hmmm. We aslo myers brigg'sd (personality typed) everyone, and that has created a fun buzz.

But the bereavement service would be new pastures for me. It is nearer home (I could walk or cycle to work), and it is more in line with the therapy career I am heading towards. But would they let me be me? would they let me be free, ideas based, and delegate the execution, which rightly or wrongly is my style. hmm. Decisions. I expect I am going to take the job. I feel passionately about supporting people through painful times - and although my exisiting job does that a bit (neighbour conflict resolution) the new one will do more.

Bunny - those lights are supposed to be really good. I think getting outside as much as possible is also recommended, but with your walking you should be up on that. Can you put your computer next to a window?

Sherry - you could try doing copy and paste accross you your word processing programme and print from there.

What is with me giving all the advice today

OK, I am off for a good walk in the park. I want to see the autumn colours and get my steps up (back to 1000 yesterday).
Also need to turn over the pros and cons on the work front and move towards a decision.
lilac
Old 10-17-2001, 10:21 PM   #23

Height: 5'2"

ALL SMILES TONIGHT!!

Went to my WW meeting tonight. Lost another 3 pounds. That makes 51 GONE. HURRAY!!!!!

I also discovered last Thurs. that, at least in the water, I can reach back and grab my right ankle and stretch that hamstring. Didn't think that would EVER happen. Still can't do the left one. That knee's been twisted and sprained a lot over the years so that one will take longer. Can't believe how much the aquajogging has helped my pliability. And yes, you can sweat in the water. <BG>

At the meeting tonight I learned this little tidbit. 13 M&M's = 1 point. a new 1 point snack! They're not a trigger for me but I'm glad I know the breakdown in numbers of M&M's rather than in ounces.

LILAC: Congrat's on the 1.5 loss and on the offer of the new job. Don't let the changes you are considering affect your marvelous attitude toward weight loss. And, DON"T FORGET TO JOURNAL. If I didn't write down every little thing I eat I'd be in BIG trouble! I don't think your Bonus Buddy and I would get along. My steps are all different sizes and that would throw the whole purpose of measuring steps off, I would think.

BUNNY: 10% HURRAY! I use that keyring as a reminder that I shouldn't eat and drive at the same time. Sometimes it even works <G>. I'm with you in dropping to a new point level this week. Gotta be really careful.

TERRI: Sounds like you had a great weekend. I like horses but haven't ridden in 25 years. How are your buns? Are you able to sit yet?

LINDA: Welcome back. Bet you're glad to get back in the pool. I may try your cake recipe soon. Sounds lucious. I'm going to try to find the cooking mag. too.

SHERRY: I know what you mean about the folks at WW who get to goal in 15 or 20 lbs. I just keep reminding myself that it can be as hard for a smaller person to lose 20 lbs. as it is for me to lose 50. What's really scarey is that they seem to disappear before completing maint. Where do they go?? No one knows, but I'll bet they'll be back in a few months or a year.
We have a mixed group. Some large folks, some who used to be larger than they are now, having lost between 75 and 100 lbs. and the usual, "lttle people". We all get along well and learn more from each other than from the WW leader.

Off to get ready for bed. 5:30 does come early.
(Working on getting back to 244 after a re-gain.)

No where to go but DOWN.
Old 10-18-2001, 02:55 AM   #24
Slimwithin

Congrats to Lilac and J-ann for your inspiring weight losses.
I've been really trying to increase my activity as well. Monday it was morning aqua fit and afternoon walk, Tuesday a walk, today morning water fitness and this afternoon another walk. My neighbor goes walking with me and, as she's quite fit, I do slow her down but every day I'm getting a little further and hopefully as I get fitter, I will be able to pick up the pace. One step at a time, my friends. One step at a time.
Yesterday I decided to pamper myself and went for a salon pedicure. It was divine and so nice to be rid of my thick, ugly calluses. The gal who did it had such a gentle touch I nearly fell asleep. This is something I have to do more often. Hey, if we don't treat ourselves well, who the heck will?
Old 10-18-2001, 04:23 AM   #25

Decided to brighten my day and post in colour! It is a rainy day today, although it seems to be slowing up. Guess what - I walked nearly 6000 steps yesterday and earned an extra point! My healthy level of steps is 3500 so I get points for about every 1750 after that. So today I feel inspired to try parking a little further away from whereever I am going and getting those steps up.

Thanks for all your congrats on the job and on the weight loss. I am pleased with myself generally at the moment. I have decided to take the job. Now I have to do all the telling my colleagues etc, and I know that it will present them with problems they could do without. But I have done all I can there. Time to move on.

Food was going really well until late last night when I was given a ceasar salad by my housemate covered in dressing and parmesan cheese. I looked on the packet and worked out the points to be 12 and I had 9 left for the day. I left some, but its hard to tell when its a dressing. Today I will be a bit careful to stay at the low end of things. Nice salad though, and nice of her to make it for me as I was late in.

J-ann you get royal blue for your royal sucess in getting over the 50 mark. That is so fantastic! here is a happy dance for you I am always inspired by your sucess at this, and your dedication and committment to yourself. You have a winning attitude.

Linda has green to show all the places you walk with your neighbour! The pedicure sounds great. it is so good to treat ourselves.

Sherry has tomato for all the lite recipes in those mags...!! Four pounds is wonderful Sherry! well done! Was it you saying about the 'little loosers' at weight watchers? I have the same problem with that, but on the other hand there is a woman at my meeting who is very nice and who has been coming since last january and has only 24lbs to lose, and she has lost 20 and simply cant shift the rest, and she is struggling just as much as everyone else. She is not at all smug or unpleasant. So although I have to really think about my reaction when someone gets to goal having lost 10.5lbs (as happened in my meeting a few weeks ago) I also acknowledge that the journey is different for all, and as this 24lb woman shows, its not always easy. And she and I have a laugh. Someone joined a few weeks ago and was asking the Bunny question 'how do I use up all these points?' - this woman is a big woman. Ms 24lbs and I both said together 'alcohol and chocolate', from different ends of the hall - we had a giggle.

Bunny this colour is called chocolate and I thought it might help with the SAD. How you doing? Sounds like you have had some real challenges with your business over the last few weeks. Stay up on those trails.

terri you get brocolli colour to go with your pasta bake! I love past bake. What is tae bo? is it like tai chi? I have been thinking of taking up yoga, and even got a teacher but I sacked her after she kept going on about how i should do stomach crunches, and I learned that she was an ex anorexic, which although I have every sympaty with her as that is a dreadful disease, I thought it was not good for my psychology to tangle with hers at the momeent. Then I bought a yoga video, which I have watched (!!!).

And a lilac sign off to say ta-ra see you all tomorrow. Love Lilac
Old 10-18-2001, 07:30 AM   #26

Good morning!

Just time for a quick post this morning. DH is starting a new job this morning and has to be there at 6:30 so he's up at 5:15. I'm going to try to take advantage and get myself to work earlier so I can leave earlier. I haven't been getting home until 5:30 or 6:00 most nights and got home at 4:30 on Monday and what a difference that made in my evening.

Yesterday I took the dog to a nearby 800 acre woodsy park. We took a hour+ walk in the fall leaves and sunshine. Very hilly so we were both tired when we got back to the truck. He's such a good walking buddy and helpful in pulling me up the hills too!! I love this time of year.

Congratulations to all that posted losses this week. Great jobs ladies. Woohoo!! for all!!

Lilac - Tae bo is like aerobic boxing & kickboxing. Very good all over body workout. I like it because finally its something that works my upper body which never responds as fast as my legs. Great for punching out tension too!! I have a yoga tape and really like it when I can find time to do it. Always on the good intention list.

J-Ann - Thanks to celebrex, yes I have recovered from the horseback ride. The buns weren't nearly as sore as the back muscles.

Must run. I have read everyone else's posts but not enough time. I'll catch up later this evening. have a great day.

Old 10-18-2001, 09:04 AM   #27

Good morning, ladies!

One nice thing about our rec center is that its is so airy and naturally lit. Large windows everywhere -- the pool (which is heated) is in a very large room with glass walls and windows in the ceiling. From the treadmill, I can see down into the pool room and watch as my younger daughter swims laps. She's inspired to join the swim team (which we absolutely cannot afford right now) so she's practicing. She's doing quite well. Yesterday she got to chatting with the swim team coach who timed her crawl and told her she was as fast as some of the gals who'd been on the team for years. She spent the rest of the day floating on air, of course. I've worked out every day this week. Yesterday I did 50 minutes on the treadmill, followed up by weight lifting stuff. I'm a little achy and sore today -- but in I'll go. I did spend about five minutes on the eliptical trainer thingy -- where you jog, I guess? -- and it was darn hard. No more of that until I lose some more pounds!

Terri -- Hills and leaves -- sounds like heaven to me! We wanted to walk when the leaves were at their finest this past week here but sadly we were all down with a cold. We've lived here two years and I haven't managed to walk when the leaves were perfection yet last year I was in San Francisco when they were. Go figure.

Lilac -- Caesar salad is one of my biggest downfalls. I love the stuff. Indeed, we used to have it for dinner any time I cooked. Now I'm cooking every night, and we've had it only once. I make my own dressing and I'm working on lowering the fat/calories, but its not an easy thing to do. *g* We use pasturized egg whites, spray the leaves with oil, no anchovies, and so on. Your life sounds exciting right now -- and filled with possibility. I envy (and don't) you the choices you're making -- I find change so difficult and sameness so comfortable so its always a reach for me when I have to make choices.

LindaBC -- I have made a visit to the spa one of only two things on my Christmas Wish List this year. (The other is a good blender.) I love the pampering. I used to get a manicure twice monthly and stopped when the money got tight. Now I do my own -- but boy, I'd love a spa visit.

J-ann -- !!!!!!!!!! ~~WOW~~ How ultra-exciting for you! FIFTY ONE pounds! My goodness!!! Now go lift something that weighs fifty pounds -- *smile* -- how lovely not to be carrying that around any longer, eh?

Well -- I'm off again -- lots of photographs to take today, lots of listings to prepare (we're having an eBay auctions bra sale and I've been working on listings all week). Then exercise, organizing the house, dinner and exhaustion. Gotta love it!
Old 10-19-2001, 05:05 AM   #28

Its friday! yippee! and that means I am going to the supermarket today. i am going to do toad in the hole for lunch tomorrow. Do you have that in america? its made with toads, and holes. very nice with onion gravy.

And Tonight we are having cauliflower cheese, made out of the 'pure points' cookery book. It says its only 3 points per serving, but I will probably double the servings for a main meal. I used to put peanut butter and sweetcorn in my califlower cheese, but that would be a points armageddon so might have to restrain myself.....actually I have become allergic (or at least intolerant) to peanuts over the last two years. it all started when I went on a spiritual retreat where they fed us a fasting type of diet that was vegan - which was fine, but there was always peanut butter on the table. Well, I naturally lept at the peanyB (on retreat I can do seclusion, silence and prayer for ever, but fasting? Oh please.....). As a consequence I got through about two or three jars in the one week and about half way through, I started having to .... umm...rush to the toilet, you know. Well, I did not know what to make of it, and thought it must be eating so much wholemeal pasta and brown rice, but I usually have that stuff anyway. Then I thought it might be the spiritaual experience churning me up (it was a very intense time). But eventually I worked out it was the peanyB. And now even one spoonful, or four or five nuts is enough to upset me. And I loved nuts!!!! But now I have to avoid most of them. Its not so bad that I get hospitalised everytime I walk past someone in the street who had muslie for breakfast, but it is still noticable all the same.

How did I get on to the great peanut butter prayer story...oh yes, cali cheese. Also this weekend I am doing lamb with a herby minty crust and grilled veg, and I amd doing somthing called bacon and sweet potato cakes. The latter involves cabbage, and I have decided that my aversion to cabbage Just Has To Stop! So I am going to buy a cabbage and find a few ways of doing it this weekend, to try to see if it is edible. It was not edible thirty years ago when I was growing up......but we will see.....

I am also going to make some little fruit crumbles in ramikins for puddings over the next few days. I feel a bit as if I have been abandoning my cooking duties recently, as i have been out so much, so this weekend I am going to make up for it.

Ho hum. I should get myself off to work. Only a few weeks to go.
love to everyone
lilac
Old 10-19-2001, 07:13 AM   #29

Default New thread !

Post on the new thread!

Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.