Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #1  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Default Gym Etiquette -Okay I Want To Play Nice, Really I Do

Three days a week I go into the gym to lift for upper body. Same time everyday, same three days each week. I usually am early enough to beat the midmorning rush. They arrive about fifteen minutes after I do.

When I set up my area I usually get the same bench, close to the window, and three to four sets of dumbells. The routine that I am using calls for three sets of increasing weights with lower reps at the end. I prefer to set up the weights at the foot of my bench and keep them there during the hour I am lifting. Getting up after one set of twelve reps to get a heavier weight and replacing the lighter weight is a pain. I don't like to cut in front of everyone in the mirror, hunt for my next size and then go back to my bench. I also like to do these sets back to back without a break with the muscle group I am working.

I have noticed that those working around me usually grab one set of dumbells, crank out all of there sets with the same set of dumbells and then move on to their next muscle group before changing weight sizes.

So here is the question: Am I being really rude by keeping these extra three dumbells by my side during my routine? For the most part, there are two sets of each weight size in the racks so it is not like I have the only 20 or 25 pound dumbell set.

No one has said anything to me about this being a problem. And as far as I can tell, I haven't offended anyone yet. But, I am kind of busy squinting, breathing, and grunting to really notice...

Anyway, any thoughts. I won't be offended if you say, "Yeah Lydia, put them back before someone trips on them you crazy nut"
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I don't work out in a gym, so I'm no expert, however, I think anyone there of any status (trainer, mgr) would quickly recognize that you are doing a bfl-type program and need all your weights handy. I totally get what you mean about the up and down to exchange weights - heck, I work out at home and even I hate doing that. I think since you are doing a particular training program that requires what you set aside, it isn't a problem. If you were just holding the 20's until the last muscle set you work, then that would be a problem. But since you are using each of the dumbbells at least once or twice every five minutes, I would say you need them handy.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #3  
Mel

If someone else wants to use them, yes, put them back. There were people who did this at the last gym where I worked at and it was really annoying to either train a client or do my own workout. Ya gotta share! But, if no one wants them, and you aren't in anyone else's way, I think it's fine. It's a little like someone just sitting on the only pec dec between sets when the gym is busy...the usual protocol is that someone else would say "do you mind if I work in?" and the first person would get up and rest, then go back. But some people are either shy or just get angry.

There was a woman who is a friend of mine OUTSIDE of the gym who did incredible supersets. She gathers just about every dumbbell from 8 to 25 pounds, all the balance equipment, a medicine ball or two, a couple of resistance bands, and parks between a cable cross over. Heaven help you if you need anything or anywhere she might use or go in her 2 hour workout. "I'M USING THAT!" That's not cool.

Mel

Last edited by Mel; 12-06-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #4  
Meg

I'm sure that the etiquette is different in every gym, so I'll tell you how it is in mine. Keep in mind that yours may be different.

We also have two sets of the lighter DBs and one set of each weight after 50#. We're a big, busy gym and hardly anyone takes more than one pair at a time. When they're done with one set, they put them back and pick up the next pair. Due to the high volume of people in the weight room, no one would be able to work out otherwise.

I set up on a bench near the section of the DB rack I use most frequently so that I don't have far to go to switch weights. I don't find it to be a hassle, but maybe I'm just used to doing it that way.

Personally, I get irritated when I want to use a certain set of DBs and someone's got them corralled at their bench with a bunch of others. 20's, 25's, and 30's are VERY popular and if one person hogs those, it messes up a lot of other people's workouts. Sometimes I'll ask if they're using them (when they clearly aren't) and then ask if I can use them. But sometimes I'll just try to adapt with a different exercise and just quietly fume to myself.

So to answer your question, in my gym it's considered bad manners to tie up more than one set of DBs at a time. It seems like it's mostly newbies who do it -- I'm sure they just don't realize that dozens (hundreds?) of people need to share the same equipment. Most of the regulars are super-considerate about sharing, perhaps because they've worked out long enough to know how aggravating it is when you can't get the weight you need.

But that might just be my gym, which is BIG and BUSY. In a smaller, less crowded gym, perhaps members are more easygoing and there's more equipment available? But -- what would concern me -- if there are only two sets of a certain weight and you've got one set tied up for an HOUR, then you're asking everyone else in your gym to share one pair while you've got the other. Yikes! I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. And what if Lydia Two came along and took the other pair for an hour? Or ... what if Lydia Two got to the gym 15 minutes before you and had all the DBs neatly arranged around her bench when you arrived?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #5  
Mel

Meg is just so much more eloquent!

Mel
Old 12-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #6  
Meg

It's called 'excessively wordy', not eloquent.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

At the very least, I would try to make eye contact with the people around me regularly. And not have earphones in both ears or whatever so I'd be approachable, so that people could easily come up to me and ask to use a set. I know its easier for me to ask to work in with someone when they aren't in their own little zone of music and sweat, because I hate interrupting people.

I agree with Meg and Mel, though, in my particular gym, people don't take more than one set DBs at a time. Your gym might have less of a demand on equipment, but you did talk about there being a "morning rush", so it might be an issue. Actually, posted by our DB rack is a sign saying you should only take 1 set at a time, as I recall.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #8  

Can I change my answer?!?! lol

OK, I didn't realize it's common to have 2 sets in a gym. I was thinking a set on each wall for like 4-5 sets. So yeah, if there's only 2 in MOST gyms, and you've got 2 BFL'ers, then the rest of the world only gets to watch. Probably not so fair.

Sheesh, I'm thinking I'm glad I do this part at home now! Can't handle the self-induced stress!
Old 12-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

When DH and I went to the gym, we would temporarily hog up what we needed for a particularl set but we'd also sit very close to the low numbered dumbbells so if someone wanted one, they could go ahead. Also, I have a "thing" about being in the free weights section when there are too many people. I feel crowded so you would only find me in the free weights section if hardly anyone was there.

Unrelated but kind of amusing, when I was going to the gym by myself and not doing BFL, I would reorganize the weight section between sets. So I would grab my weight for the set, then put it back then during my rest period, I would grab other weights that were out of place and rearrange them. I would not only do this with dumbbells but I also did it with plates. It is one way to keep yourself occupied while resting.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, my gym has at least 3 sets of weights, though in different areas, and being a small town gym, it's a rare occasion that there are more than 3 folks lifting in the main free weight area (only 3 benches there, and one doesn't have an adjustable back). But the way it's set up, all the benches are only a couple of steps away from the weights, so I just try for the bench near the lower end. Sometimes there are some stray weights here too, esp in the lower weight. (They're the vinyl covered ones and belong in the aerobics room.) For standing stuff I really like best the set of weights that are near the cable machine (no adjustable benches there, only those in front of the cable stuff). This set includes 8# dumbbells which I like for shoulders. The final set is upstairs in an area with the barbells, a cage, and some of the "weirder" machines! I seldom venture there unless it's empty.

I guess my point is that I agree with the others. Depends on your gym and how busy it is.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #11  
Kallos Sthenos

Thanks Ladies for the quick reply on this one! I have only been doing this routine for about a week and it did bother me just a wee bit. For the most part I don't think I've annoyed anyone yet, but there is always the potential for Lydia Two to show up as Meg has pointed out.

As far as the "morning rush" usually its just a few college guys who use barbells and cable equipment. Trust me, they are lifting a lot heavier than me. But with the New Year in sight and all of those with healthy resolutions coming around the corner, I want to make sure I do the "right thing."

Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #12  

No kidding Lydia, my dd is on a Y swim team which is across the street from a Target mega-plex. So we go straight from "sitting thru green lights" traffic this month to not being able to find a parking spot for the next 2 months in the lot. I hate this time of the year from that perspective. I commit to staying out of the shopping crowds, but am forced back into the crowds due to this.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #13  
Mel

On the bright side, if Lydia Two does show up, you'll gain a workout partner and a friend Just make nice and share

Mel
Old 12-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

It might be OK for now depending on demand. However, once we pass January 1st and all of those new years resolutions folks come in, you'll have to share the lower weights witha LOT more people. Unfortunately, most of them disappear by Superbowl Sunday, which is good for your use of the DBs but makes me sad nonetheless.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #15  
Kallos Sthenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
On the bright side, if Lydia Two does show up, you'll gain a workout partner and a friend Just make nice and share

Mel
Yeah, I wish! It would be really great to meet someone with similar goals as mine. I could really use a spotter.

You ladies are great. Thanks again for the advice and for not beating me up with regard to my poor manners. I'll play nice on Friday. Swear!