Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #1  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Default Flabby Upper Arms

I am a total novice at weight training/lifting/whatever and I need help. I have flabby upper arms due to my weight loss and although I am planning on getting lipo in 6mos, that is not going to be the total answer. I need to put some tone into that fat!! Does anyone have any suggestions of exercises targeted for the upper arms that don't require any fancy equipment or expensive gym memberships? I don't want to be totally "built" or anything, I just want to firm and tone up my upper arms so that they aren't so very flabby.
Can anyone help me/offer advice/suggestions?
Thanks!

BTW: I am 22, so the lack of tone is not due to aging or anything, just my lack of upper body fitness level.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:46 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Your arms might not be flabby due to aging, but huge weight loss can also stretch the skin to give the same effects of aging, which may or may not be reversible, depending on the elasticity of your skin. (Congratulations by the way, 100+ pounds is GREAT!!!) Since you are young, that is a plus. You might know this, but I want to clarify something for you because I want to make sure that one line you used wasn't just casual terminology. You said you needed to put some tone into the fat. Skin, fat and muscle are all different tissues and you can't convert anything to another tissue, but you can increase your muscle size to replace the empty space where your former fat was. You may not be able to firm the arms up completely with weights, but this can sure put some muscle back in to that empty space.
Lipo also won't make the flab go away if your skin is stretched. It will 'thin out' the floppy part, but if the skin is still hanging 6 months or so after you lose weight, you might need to consider cosmetic surgery to remove the skin.

You will want to rev up your muscle with bicep (front of upper arms) and tricep (back of upper arms) exercises. You can do those with dumbbells, for about a $10-$20 investment. If you know nothing at all about weights, I suggest buying BFL or BFL for Women. If you aren't interested in the eating plan, you can still do the weights. These books will give you some good exercises to choose from.

You don't want to work out the same muscles two days in a row. It is good to change up your exercises at least every 4-6 weeks because your muscles get used to the same movement and you won't have as effective workouts. If you aren't interested in the books, try Kathy Smith Lift Weights to Lose Weight, or her program at www.beachbody.com . The Beachbody program was my first full course of weights, ( I tried BFL twice, but had to stop both times due to either an injury or surgery) and it was a great all around intorduction to weights until I moved on to something more advanced.

Good luck!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Plain ole push ups are great for the arms and chest...

Here are more:
Dips

Tricep extension:

SkullCruchersWithDumbells

TricepKickBacks

LyingTricepLifts

LyingOneArmDumbellTricepExtension
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Oooh I really like dips. I do regular dips off the bench for two sets, and then I do a third set of quick pulses until just before failure. WHOOOOOOO!!!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:13 AM   #5  

you could get yourself a pair of dumb bells....and train your arms with them... go according to the weight you can take.i used to do it wth two water bottles filled up completely of the same capacity and gradually i would increase to larger bottles... it worked for me, i also didnt want to get muscular.i just wanted to shape up a bit my arms.
justlost is offline   Reply With Quote