Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-25-2006, 11:14 AM   #1  

Default Personal trainers? A quick question...

I know a few of the ladies here are personal trainers. I have a quick question for you folks. I want to learn the proper form to do squats/deadlifts etc. I've been using the hack squat machine for years and I think it's time to move on to the big kid equipement Is it possible to hire a trainer just to show me proper form on a few specific exercises? Is that something a PT would consider? Is it rude to ask for just one or two sessions instead of a long term contract? The guys at my gym will only sell them in batches (12 sessions at a time).
Thanks!
Ginny
GinnyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:23 AM   #2  

I am not a trainer but I do go to the gym and I promise that it is okay to just get a PT for one session. Lots of people do it and many gyms give you one free session when you sign up. Another thing you can do is ask at the front desk if they do group personal training sessions, this is even cheaper.

Goof Luck!
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #3  

You can probably get that kind of advice for free from some of the experienced lifters in your gym. Most serious lifters are willing to help.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #4  

I had thought to ask someone else in the gym, but I've been keeping an eye on the squat rack area and never see anyone squatting!!
I guess I should just suck it up and get in there and try it....
Old 04-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 283/270/165

I am not a trainer, but I have owned and managed gyms for the past 12 years. I now work for a software company that sells health club software out of my house.

Our gym offered a free pesonal training with a new membership, but it was the trainers oportunity to sell their packages. I have NEVER had a trainer that was not willing to sell just one session...this is their chance to sell you on persnoal training....meet you and get to know you. I would ask if they have a special price for 3 sessions. Most will have a 3 for $99 or some introductory price. They want to get you hooked so you buy more, but if you get what your looking for with just 3 then go with it. It's also a good idea to go back to the trainer after 6 weeks and let hime work with you again. They can make suggestions for your current program to keep in challenging and new. When you approach the trainer for the front desk tell them what you are looking for. They will match you with the best trainer for what your looking for. Anoth source is aerobis instructors....before or after class ask the instructor. Alot of instructors are also personal trainers and willing to help.
alextucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:20 PM   #6  
Mel

Hi Ginny
I'm a trainer and would never turn someone down for one session. As Alex mentioned above, my gym offers 3 session for $99 to new members or members who have never used a trainer before. If you can get something like that, take advantage of it. Make sure that the person you are going to work with know what you want. I'd say it's kind of a bad sign that you don't see many people near the squat racks, because most people do the exercises that their trainers teach them to do. I'd suggest spending some time watching the trainers at your gym and getting an idea of how they train. Make sure that you aren't assigned to someone who just walks you around from machine to machine. Be very specific about what YOU want.

Buy more than one session if you can. Three is perfect if they offer some sort of intro deal, but two would work. Especially with squats, it's common to forget the correct form and start making little mistakes which can hurt you eventually (or fairly quickly.) I'd use a session, work on your own for a week or two, then use the second session to make sure that you haven't "learned" some mistakes. Plus, there are about a zillion other ways to work legs and do squats other than the hack squat machine or a leg extension machine. Pick the trainer's brain!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #7  

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:53 AM   #8  

I use the YMCA, and went through the standard orientation. After a couple of months of trying different things on my own, I started thinking about finding a trainer just for a couple of sessions to help me create a specific routine. I watched a few trainers work with others in the Y, and decided that I would feel most comfortable with a woman. The woman I picked is also a physical therapist and I was able to get 2 sessions with her for $40 each -- one for upper body and abs and one for lower. They offer packages but I just didn't have the money to buy 6 sessions all at once.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #9  

I agree with what Mel said, as the club I belong to has the same 99 deal. I took a long time to pick out a trainer as I was doing eliptical and swimming at first on my own. I asked a fair amount of people at the club who they liked and what kind of results they got. My club also offers a free 2 session training to set up a routine and a followup in 3 weeks. I watched a lot of the trainers interacting with people. I ended up with the fitness director of the club. He told me to come and get him or ask at the desk if I wanted to know anything or had a question about doing any of my routine at any time. He said he could be hired for one session at a time as we go along or a package or tailor it to my needs. They really want you to suceed and like it! I just finished my first week. My first day on my own I couldn't get the pin on a bench to move so I could get it at the right angle. I asked a guy if he could help me and he couldn't have been nicer!

This forum really helped me in getting started as I stated in a previous thread. It gave me the info I needed to get started and learn the lifting language and be specfic in what I wanted to accomplish with training.
I have also found a lot of the women at my club who lift to give me tips when they found out in the locker room I had just started! Many of the women have noticed that I have been there 5 to 6 times a week and noticed my weight loss. I think after seeing me there day to day they knew I was committted.

I also notice that there are a lot of classes at my club that are about learning to do all kinds of weight training. So if that is an option, look into a class. That is good way to get to know a trainer. Fortunately a lot of them at my club are included in your membership and are free. Good luck!
StarSpangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

I think people need to be aware that the person who goes around and shows you how to use the machine and a sets up a "routine" for those machines is not necessarily a personal trainer. At least in my gym, it's the owner or more often a staff member hired to work the desk, wash the towels, etc. The routines are preprinted (which should give you a clue!) and are the same for everyone. While this is a good introduction in how each machine works and what muscles it works, it is primarily information and safety instruction.

Granted I live in a small town, and there is one gym (and a Curves), we have only one personal trainer - and that's not his primary occupation. I have watched him train a number of people and while he is a nice enough guy, I don't like his style of training. So I make do with advice for websites and books, and so far it's working okay.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #11  
Ignoring the scale = BAD

S/C/G: 211/184/120

Height: 5' 6"

I also have a question about personal trainers, I hope it's okay to ask here. I just joined this site a week ago but this is the first time I've posted! I work out at a Bally's, and when I first joined (a few years ago), I got the package where I had a personal trainer for 24 sessions. It was great for me at that time, as I had no clue whatsoever what I was doing, and I didn't know how to use any of the machines, etc, etc.

Well now that I'm back on track with my diet and exercise (had a *cough* few slipups in those few years), I'm thinking about getting a personal trainer again, not right at this moment, but within the next few months. But I've had plenty of time to observe the trainers at Bally's, and NO offense if anyone here is a trainer there, but they seem like they go through the exact same routine with everyone, and that's not what I want at all!! They seem to just do a few things with the "balls", then do a machine circuit, then they stretch you. All while trying to sell you bars and supplements. And all the trainers at my location are older men with huge muscles (kinda scary). I'd really prefer a female trainer as well.

So my question is, would it be at all possible to have an "outside" personal trainer work with me at Bally's, or do places like Bally's not let you do that? Or do independent personal trainers not do that? Or would I have to go somewhere else (and how much would that cost)? I'm a college student, but I have an okay job so my finances aren't as bad as most, but still, I'm pretty poor!
ChunkyHannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:47 AM   #12  
Meg

Hi Hannah and welcome!

I work at a Ballys so I can answer your question. No, they definitely won't allow any 'outside' people to train in their gym. My Ballys has a sign up warning against it and I'm sure it's a corporate-policy.

You're absolutely right about the personal trainers at your gym - they shouldn't train that way and you shouldn't waste your money on them. It's really a shame that they don't have a variety of trainers to choose from. My gym has men and women trainers ranging from their early 20's to late 50's, from competitve bodybuilders to ones who work with the elderly. And every workout should be personalized for YOUR unique goals, needs, and abilities. No cookie-cutter workouts! And you should get a different workout for each session.

What to do? In my area, we have quite a few small personal training studios and I'd advise you to check out the ones around you. They're not as big as a Ballys but you may have more success finding someone who you 'click' with. And you really don't need a ton of equipment in order to be successful! All you need is someone who will listen to your goals, create customized workouts based on your needs and abilities, and who will give you 100% undivided attention and support.

I don't know what the costs would be, but Ballys isn't cheap so it may be right in line with what you paid for your 24 sessions. Don't be afraid to ask for a free session before you commit to something that's expensive or long-term!

Best of luck to you -- be sure to come back and tell us how you're doing!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #13  
Ignoring the scale = BAD

S/C/G: 211/184/120

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks so much for your reply, Meg. Wow, I've never heard of a personal training studio before, but I'll definitely check and see if there are some around my area. And I totally agree, you don't need a lot of equipment. That's actually what I want, is learning some new things that don't involve the machines. Because that's pretty much all I do, besides cardio. And I know you're supposed to change up your routine frequently so your body doesn't get used to it, and I honestly haven't done that much changing, um, ever. I've just been trying to get the "sticking with it" part down, and I think it's finally starting to happen!
ChunkyHannah is offline   Reply With Quote